Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gigguk seems to have an issue with doing tacky gags like that, though usually they're just based around dumb things in anime fandom and not anti-lesbian. i find the whole concept annoying because there's definitely a group taking those things at face value, and the ~satire~ of the jokes isn't particularly good in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

gigguk seems to have an issue with doing tacky gags like that, though usually they're just based around dumb things in anime fandom and not anti-lesbian. i find the whole concept annoying because there's definitely a group taking those things at face value, and the ~satire~ of the jokes isn't particularly good in the first place.

Irony becomes genuine sincerity when you repeat it enough so I have a low tolerance for it, especially nowadays.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I haven't watched a mecha show since Iron Blood Orphans (which coincidentally is last anime I finished) and the mecha retrospective on the last page gave me an itch for some robit fighting.

Anything in the last two or three years that's worth watching?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guyver posted:

I haven't watched a mecha show since Iron Blood Orphans (which coincidentally is last anime I finished) and the mecha retrospective on the last page gave me an itch for some robit fighting.

Gundam Thunderbolt was really good. Darling in the Franxx is running now and is good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Darling in the FranXX won't satisfy your desire for mech action though, since its very much concentrating on character and world building; at least for the moment. There's at least a token fight in every episode, but several of them are used to setup the premise of the episode in 30 seconds right at the off and nothing more. It's worth watching, just not for robit fights, at least as of 10 episodes in. There's maybe 2 good fights in those ten episodes, and they're both in the first handful of episodes. The show has pushed that to the back burner for a while.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 19, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

might be worth checking out Concrete Revolutio, which has several robot and mech pilot characters with some standout action setpieces.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Netflix Voltron.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Netflix Voltron.

I remember the first season of that being solidly OK. Nothing terrible, nothing super-special. Does it step up its game from there?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I remember the first season of that being solidly OK. Nothing terrible, nothing super-special. Does it step up its game from there?

I only watched through the third season, but I felt it kinda stayed at that level the whole way through.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

The second season takes more risks and is a lot better. Afterwards it kind of loses itself trying to appeal to the fandom, but it's still enjoyable.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

It has ups and downs but the latest season had like several fights where I was like "wow Im actually thinking 'cool fight' at a show again". There is some obvious dumb stuff where the writers changed their minds on stuff / were forced to change? but still a lot of solid watchable show, I think. It tosses out legit surprises here and there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I readily admit that other videos may provide context that makes the whole thing look a lot worse, but on its own that video just seemed like a dumb joke about how common it is in anime to imply that girls are into each other, but leave "plausible deniability", in this case shown by not having them kiss.

Tacky, sure. Stupid? Not going to argue the point. Hateful... eh, maybe, but it doesn't feel like it was intended that way on its own.
FlipFlappers has two entire episodes about the main characters relationships as explicitly lesbian and even has one of those episodes be entirely about it criticizing how common it is to leave lesbian relationships at just subtext, the main girls literally kiss in Izetta. So, like, yeah, I'm gonna say it's kinda hateful to just wrap all of that up and dismiss it as 'lol girls not kissing' while two dudes cackle over the footage and how inherently worthless it is because The Girls Don't Kiss, lol. I don't actually have tons of other examples of stuff like that from that dude but that one snippet was legit hurtful to me.

And the most hosed up part of this is that I had to go to bat for freaking Izetta because of it.

Guyver posted:

Kuromukuro was pretty decent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

FlipFlappers has two entire episodes about the main characters relationships as explicitly lesbian and even has one of those episodes be entirely about it criticizing how common it is to leave lesbian relationships at just subtext, the main girls literally kiss in Izetta. So, like, yeah, I'm gonna say it's kinda hateful to just wrap all of that up and dismiss it as 'lol girls not kissing' while two dudes cackle over the footage and how inherently worthless it is because The Girls Don't Kiss, lol. I don't actually have tons of other examples of stuff like that from that dude but that one snippet was legit hurtful to me.

And the most hosed up part of this is that I had to go to bat for freaking Izetta because of it.

Kuromukuro was pretty decent.

Agreed on KMK, but I should note that the giant robot action was the worst part of it. It just wasn’t very interesting. The show’s real charm is in its characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, yeah, if the guy literally wants giant robot fighting at the expense of everything else, then my rec would be, uh, Akito the Exiled? It's CG but it's very fluid CG with a lot of neat moves and spins and poo poo, the mechs are rolling all over the place and doing spider-man stuff with the grappling hooks Geass mechs have, it's pretty legit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Agreed on KMK, but I should note that the giant robot action was the worst part of it. It just wasn’t very interesting. The show’s real charm is in its characters.

I'll agree with this, not that the mecha action was particularly bad. It was just sort of bland.

Bubuki Buranki was also really good, but also didn't have very interesting fight choreography.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think part of KMK’s problem was that the main mech was functionally just a big dude with a sword. They didn’t lean into the giant robotness nearly as much as they could have.

Typing that out, though, I remembered Iron-Blooded Orphans, which mostly had its mecha fighting with traditional melee weapons, and yet felt exciting and otherworldly. Might be interesting to consider what that did right and KMK didn’t.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Has anyone brought up Majestic Prince yet

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mister Olympus posted:

That aired five years ago

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Cool mecha battles by the same folks who did Akito, hideously ugly character designs from Hisashi Hirai, YMMV on the sense of humour. Probably worth a shot if you like your giant robot shows chill and light-hearted.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations. Majestic Prince was awesome and I liked the first episode of Akito. Really liked the bit of the Gundam Thunderbolt I read so I'll check that out. I wasn't really just looking for action so if it's good I'll give anything a try. Darling looks neat and I'll look into KmK when I get home.

Concrete Revolutio looks uh... Yeah.

Anyway I liked Voltron as a kid so I'll check that out. But looking at Netflix holy poo poo there's a new Devilman.

Two of them and one had Cyborg 009.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Guyver posted:

I really enjoyed Concrete Revolutio on a retro aesthetic basis but felt like I was missing out on half the show for not having a degree in postwar Japanese history.

e: and only getting a fraction of the character references, or whether individual characters were references to things at all or not.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guyver posted:

Anyway I liked Voltron as a kid so I'll check that out. But looking at Netflix holy poo poo there's a new Devilman.

It's obviously not a robot series but I fully recommend Devilman Crybaby, it was very enjoyable as my first Devilman and it got me into the manga.

And then I kind of stopped, I really need to get back on that. Not having a full Violence Jack translation stopped me, but I could just read another Devilman thing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Devilman Lady is fully translated and easily twice as crazy as the Devilman manga is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guyver posted:

Devilman Lady is fully translated and easily twice and crazy as the Devilman manga is.

Hope you’ve got plenty of tolerance for rape, though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Darth Walrus posted:

I think part of KMK’s problem was that the main mech was functionally just a big dude with a sword. They didn’t lean into the giant robotness nearly as much as they could have.

I mean kind of but I feel like part of the point is it's a giant robot samurai fighting alien mechs that do have really bizarre combat morphology, like a robot with multiple arms or a robot that's a flying lance with a humanoid rocket on or I think there was a robot that has an arm that's just a giant rotor blade.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guyver posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. Majestic Prince was awesome and I liked the first episode of Akito. Really liked the bit of the Gundam Thunderbolt I read so I'll check that out. I wasn't really just looking for action so if it's good I'll give anything a try. Darling looks neat and I'll look into KmK when I get home.

Concrete revolutio is fantastic, definitely my favorite show of 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Typing that out, though, I remembered Iron-Blooded Orphans, which mostly had its mecha fighting with traditional melee weapons, and yet felt exciting and otherworldly. Might be interesting to consider what that did right and KMK didn’t.

Well, one obvious thing is IBO tended to have really big weapons for the main mechs. KMK's mech was fighting with the same relative scale of sword as conventional protagonists. Barbatos, meanwhile, was swinging weapons about as big as it was.

Carries the whole clash of titans aesthetic better.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

Concrete revolutio is fantastic, definitely my favorite show of 2016
Alright seems to be overwhelmingly positive feelings from people for it I'll give it a shot.

Darth Walrus posted:

Hope you’ve got plenty of tolerance for rape, though.
It's a Go Nagai manga, that kind of goes with the territory.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's obviously not a robot series but I fully recommend Devilman Crybaby, it was very enjoyable as my first Devilman and it got me into the manga.

And then I kind of stopped, I really need to get back on that. Not having a full Violence Jack translation stopped me, but I could just read another Devilman thing.

Only read the first story arc and the El Dorado arc of Violence Jack. If they've translated the Mazinger arc and the X-Men arc read those as well. The rest is bad

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Devilman parts of Violence Jack don't come up for a long time and only do because everything Go Nagai writes nowadays becomes Devilman eventually. VJ is best when it's this insane cross between Yakuza movies and wild west stories

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing I know about Violence Jack is that Kouji is in one arc and instead of piloting Mazinger Z he sits on top of a giant blind dude named Jim Mazinger and tells him which direction to punch in.

Where's my animated adaptation of this, Netflix?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here is a PSA: if you liked Devilman then what you need to watch is CB Chara Go Nagai World.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Devilman Crybaby is a fun rear end watch

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is a PSA: if you liked Devilman then what you need to watch is CB Chara Go Nagai World.

this is shockingly true

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Hey, speaking of Tekkaman Blade, I just got to where the Sol Tekkamen show up and this is the dumbest conflict I've seen in a robot show in a while. Boys, boys, there's enough Radam for both of you.

Meanwhile 70s Tekkaman had an episode where the scientist builds a space theme park for the purpose of loving with the enemy commander and it owns.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guyver posted:

It's a Go Nagai manga, that kind of goes with the territory.

not anywhere near as bad as in Lady, typically. like, not even loving Violence Jack gets as rapey as Lady does.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Concrete Revolutio is a good watch for now because its basically the anti Ready Player One.
Everything is a reference to something, but all mostly serves a point and the show itself is very political

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm gonna recommend Kuromukuro as well, and if you like that, maybe check out Bubuki/Buranki as well. There's not much thematically linking them but I really enjoyed both shows. The second intro to BBK/BRNK is also really good, IMO.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, who here is Team Freedom and who is Team Death Metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

So, who here is Team Freedom and who is Team Death Metal?

their little trailer had pretty bad composite shots of animated kids on cg zoids so small you dont sit in the cockpit, you kinda sit on their neck. I'm upsetti.