Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Sorry, didn't know GBS is full of these "totally a joke"-probes, I haven't looked in there ever since it became terrible.

If you can’t eat a sixer without complaint, maybe SA isn’t for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's a perfect metaphor: all the people giving up on the game because they can't learn the unwritten rules of the game through failure also can't seem to figure out you'll get 6 hours for bitching in the GBS Bloodborne thread. Artificial Forums Difficulty.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

If you can’t eat a sixer without complaint, maybe SA isn’t for you.

Actually I have received a sixer without a complaint, but the trick is that I deserved it.

Many years ago the place actually had rules that made sense rather than the 'hurt a mod's feelings about a game and get probated'-level stuff it seems to have now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Many years ago the place actually had rules that made sense rather than the 'hurt a mod's feelings about a game and get probated'-level stuff it seems to have now.

this is not actually a thing that it has, maybe you should stop posting so much about a forum you don't go to?????? because you look pretty dumb lol

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Bloodborne is a rad game and IMO the best souls-like game, but it sucks how hobbled and niche arcane builds are. Most of the spellcasting items are bad, weapons with innate elemental or arcane damage benefit the least from it since you can't change their base damage type, and you trip over good physical gems all throughout the game and in every dungeon. But if you want any decent elemental gems you have to go deep into specific chalice dungeons. It's also a shame that they made the "main" path through the chalice dungeons a series of fixed environments, except they're equally as boring and mishmashy as the randomized ones.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually I have received a sixer without a complaint, but the trick is that I deserved it.

Go dance with the angels

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GBS sucks poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14 recently released FF11 but HD for the current expansion's relic. I could list a bunch of stuff because its pretty awful but I'm going to just highlight 2 things that makes it a problem in ways other then "its not fun to play"

First off, the relic weapons were typically used as a long grind to get old players to play content with new players. Either you would get a currency for doing the low level roulette, you would need a bunch of tome currency so you would seek out new player bonuses which awards you bonus tomes, even just doing fates in old areas so new players can have help with those fates. The relic stuff now is sectioned off into its own zone. So old timers aren't going to really be running roulettes and old content, they're off in some alternate reality endlessly grinding monsters over and over. So there is that.

The other thing, also kinda related to new players is new players to the content itself. It uses a different leveling structure that is serious (get hit by a monster 2 levels above you? It'll hit for 60k damage. Have fun) and my god is gaining levels shiiiiit. You either do notorious monsters which is monsters that appear after so many certain monsters are killed that pays out a chunk of xp depending on your contribution, or you do "chain" parties where you kill monsters over and over and get progressively more xp each kill.

Lets talk the first, if you're so low of a level you basically can't contribute to spawning the notorious monster. You are lucky to hit higher then 100 damage, hell depending on the level of the other monsters you are lucky to hit triple or even double digits. So you just sit in a corner and wait while higher leveled players kill everything. Oh and about that last bit, if a player is so much of a higher level then you then you get zero xp for killing a monster they have attacked. Anyways, so you sit in your corner and wait. And you can wait a long time, like 20 minutes before the drat thing spawns.

This is what I did for that. I would stand around, open the map to see if the icon would appear and played on my switch while I waited. loving amazing gameplay

The second option, spamming mobs. At level 8 I needed 51 thousand xp to level up. As an aside, all the notorious monsters, even if I got a gold ranking on level 20 ones, would get me at most 5k xp. Now killing monsters one by one? I was in a party of 8 with players at level 7-8. One was level 9. We were getting about 70 xp a kill. 70. Out of 51,000. When the level 9 player suddenly left we were getting 130 xp a kill. Having one singular player a single level higher then the rest of us cut our xp gain by half. Oh and by the way, this was against level 11 monsters. Eventually we had a full party again, no one above level 8, and we were killing level 12 monsters. There is a chain system that gives you more xp per kill if you kill them fast enough. The highest is 30. What did we kill upon killing a monster 4 levels above us at the highest chain?

174 xp. Just another 300 of those and we will finally get a level! Man, imagine once everyone has hit level 20, imagine how FUN it is gonna be for a late comer to come in and literally cannot touch anything anyone else has touched cause he will get 0 xp for it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Bloodborne is a rad game and IMO the best souls-like game, but it sucks how hobbled and niche arcane builds are. Most of the spellcasting items are bad, weapons with innate elemental or arcane damage benefit the least from it since you can't change their base damage type, and you trip over good physical gems all throughout the game and in every dungeon. But if you want any decent elemental gems you have to go deep into specific chalice dungeons. It's also a shame that they made the "main" path through the chalice dungeons a series of fixed environments, except they're equally as boring and mishmashy as the randomized ones.

It also sucks that the weapons are so spread out. Maybe it would suck to get everything once you've beaten Blood-Starved Beast, but at least you wouldn't have to sink in fifteen hours to get the Chikage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^^ it doesn't fix the problem entirely, but you can get some non-DLC weapons really early on now thanks to dungeons created by some wonderful hackers which are depth 5 but listed as depth 1:

So you can get the burial blade for example after only having to beat blood starved beast. god bless you hackers.

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

this just isn't true, arcane gets amazingly powerful and doesn't require any kind of special farming, just that you run dungeons at all. The spellcasting items have no softcap on scaling so they benefit from arcane all the way up to 99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHMIk5emCk0

This is sloppy as poo poo since I haven't fought amygdala in awhile and arcane still lets me win on my first try, almost skipping the most dangerous phase of the fight without having to get close. It makes all the hardest content in the game much easier by letting you do great damage from long range, which is huge once you get to the point where everything has multiple ways to instakill you at 50 vitality

definitely not something to use your first time though as it's very much a late bloomer thing.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Mar 19, 2018

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm enjoying Tyranny, or the hour or so I've played of it. The Favor/Wrath system is pretty neat! Pretty dumb move, though, to name one of the major factions you deal with "The Disfavored".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You're fighting a battle that doesn't exist, my friend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Digirat posted:

^^ it doesn't fix the problem entirely, but you can get some non-DLC weapons really early on now thanks to dungeons created by some wonderful hackers which are depth 5 but listed as depth 1:

So you can get the burial blade for example after only having to beat blood starved beast. god bless you hackers.

I have no idea how to apply any of this but at least someone took it upon themselves to make getting the cool weapons quicker.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're fighting a battle that doesn't exist, my friend.

Tiltin at windmills so hard you'd think he was a Smooth Criminal.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Samuringa posted:

I'm at Ludwig and I still haven't managed to parry an enemy on purpose.

Parrying in Bloodborne is way easier than in DS. With the pistol, at least, it's almost instantaneous so you just have to wait until the right moment. You can practice on the big guys with the bricks in the first area since all their attacks are immensely telegraphed and have a huge window for parrying between them trying to smack you and actually hitting you. It's never entirely necessary but there are some opponents, especially in the Chalice Dungeons, that you just might not be able to beat at all if you can't manage at least a couple parries.

Unrelated, but I've made a Bloodtinge build (Chikage + Bloodletter) and an Arcane build (Logarius' Wheel) and while it was a pain to get them set up and find decent blood gems, they're just so goddamn fun to play, especially in PVP. Taking off half of someone's life with a single Chikage draw-out attack is tons of fun, as is watching someone run away to heal and not expect to take like 400 damage from my gun. And Arcane is just fun and goofy, especially if you're rocking the broccoli head. Great for assisting, too. Helping people out against Ebrietas by almost single-handedly taking her out with a few casts of A Call Beyond while she's distracted feels cool as hell.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I like the idea of the gun parry but I found it to be both less reliable and less satisfying than shield parrying. Also the fish ogres in the fishing hamlet are still a pain to parry when they charge, and the timing is really stupid, since you are supposed to shoot them mid jump, they go into the air, get shot, and then instantly magnetize to the ground.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Parrying is one of those things which isn't required and applies in only a few situations, but when it's used completely trivilizaes the fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I find it really hard to tell when exactly Im supposed to parry, and in a game where getting hit in the face has serious time based penalties to flubbing its not great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you flub a parry in Bloodborne it’s not really a big deal. Just get back up and hit him some more and rally that HP.

Parrying in Dark Souls has greater consequences for failure.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I honestly don't get how you all are beating bloodborne without learning to parry, the first area punishes you over and over again til you get it down

I guess it's not as hard as it seems to move forward without ever parrying but imo it's a skill that is integral to bloodborne and you guys really need to spend the two minutes it takes to learn it. Practice on the brick dudes in central yarnham. This isn't me trying to impose my gaming style on random people, the game is really intended to be played with generous parrying. You can tell because the game play flow goes from tedious and meat grindy to an elegant dance where you're dispatching fools left and right as you rush headfirst into danger

Bloodborne without parrying is an endless slog of stab stab stab dodge stab stab dodge dodge dodge stab as you whittle enemy health down

I for one was unable to beat giascogne until I figured out how to parry, that boss feels like a skill check because difficulty doesn't really spike anymore after that point

But yeah learn to parry, it's satisfying as shiiiit and highlights how bloodborne has the best combat in any souls game

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Mar 19, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I beat Father G on my first try without failing a parry once. Every time after that? Nope. Can't get a parry off to save my rear end. I'm bad at successfully timing things like that which is why I never beat Gwyn. "Oh just parry him it's easy" is a pretty poo poo piece of advice when you go the entire game to that point without ever parrying.

I also hate tutorials that have a section where you have to get "x perfect counters" because they take me forever.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hmm..well it's not from's style but I think they should have included a forced parry or three before letting you run loose. You'd be surprised at how forgiving it actually is once you've nailed it consistently

Parrying is much much easier to consistently pull off in this game as opposed to dark souls, and you even get a few different timing options via the several available guns

But yes my performance against father g on repeat playthroughs routinely ranges from "untouchable god of skill" to "ah what the gently caress?? But I've beat him so many times before!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat the entire game without parrying. I've never liked mechanics like that in any games I've played, where you have to just memorize the enemy actions to know when their parry frames or whatever are.

Dragging the game down: The DLC is NG+ is a loving nightmare and is unfun. Just a gauntlet of hunters that all have too much health and do too much damage. I got the DLC after beating the game, which meant of course I was forced into NG+, and my playthrough stopped once I hit that point, it was staggeringly frustrating. Haven't picked it up since.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I have no idea how to apply any of this but at least someone took it upon themselves to make getting the cool weapons quicker.

Just get the pthumeru depth 1 chalice from blood starved beast in the main game, make it, and now you can put in any of these glyphs for a depth 5 dungeon with the listed weapon.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I never really got the hang of parrying, so I just use a giant two-handed weapon and dodge stuff and it got me through the whole game. I was also extremely overleveled, but grinding up levels in Bloodborne is easier and faster than any of the Souls games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The final "boss" of Spiderwick Chronicles is a little annoying because it has no checkpoints except right at the start - you pretty much have to flee from the main Ogre through a good chunk of the house and then across the rooftop with super precision or you will get caught, and if he catches you you start the chase right at the start. It's not overly bad, but it is exhausting due to a few minigames (waggle the sticks in alternate directions to pull yourself up the the dumbwaiter/climb up the roof) that are kind of tricky if you get frustrated and lost the rhythm. It doesn't take that long, maybe a 3 minute sequence, but dying close to the end feels really annoying.

The sequence just before, the Siege, could have been bad, but lucked out - the game allows freely switching between characters for just that segment until the endgame (up until then the game makes you use particular characters for particular story beats, postgame and siege you get free-switching) so if one of the siblings is badly hurt you can switch to them and release a healing sprite to get them out of danger. The only real danger is protecting their mother who you cannot switch to, because she has no weapon and is busy prepping the bomb that will take out all the goblins at once.

Just a couple more fairies and a sidequest though, then I've 100%ed it. :)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The trick to parrying in Bloodborne is that you have to shoot them during the swing, not during the windup hth

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pathologic's great but Jesus Christ melee combat involves hoping the game recognizes that you're even trying to stab something. I had to quickload for like fifteen minutes for just the first two guys.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

The trick to parrying in Bloodborne is that you have to shoot them during the swing, not during the windup hth

Which is stupidly hard to internalize, and also results in you getting flattened during the parry window if you’re a few frames late.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've never cared for parrying in soulsborne games and I find that I enjoy them more if I pretend it doesn't exist. And I beat both Father G and Gwyn on my first-ever encounters with them so I find it highly debatable that parrying is some sort of integral, necessary mechanic. It just feels so canned and rigid, like you're deliberately trying to make the game more like a Resident Evil QTE cutscene, and drives me nuts that some attacks can't be parried so whenever I mess it up I'm thinking "was my timing off or does it just not work on that attack?"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Being unable to parry large beasts in B.B. is dumb, too. You’re shooting them with silver bullets laced with blood. You telling me I can’t stagger something after shooting it in the face with magic bullets, just because it’s big? At least it made sense in souls because you were physically redirecting the attack.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Triarii posted:

I've never cared for parrying in soulsborne games and I find that I enjoy them more if I pretend it doesn't exist. And I beat both Father G and Gwyn on my first-ever encounters with them so I find it highly debatable that parrying is some sort of integral, necessary mechanic. It just feels so canned and rigid, like you're deliberately trying to make the game more like a Resident Evil QTE cutscene, and drives me nuts that some attacks can't be parried so whenever I mess it up I'm thinking "was my timing off or does it just not work on that attack?"

I'm with you here. Whenever people say you should parry something it's because it's very easy to kill once you get the parry timing down, but it's never necessary and it usually means you have to spend time getting the parry timing down because they vary so much between enemies and attacks. From my experience it's more fun to just try and kill the mofo instead of sitting there trying to parry until you get it down so that's what I do. First time beating Gwyn I parried him but by the time I got to him again I'd forgotten the timing and went gently caress it to learning it again and just used the skills the rest of the game trained me in. It was much more fun and epic that way. Nothing against people who like to parry, just never felt right to me. Like it was tacked onto an otherwise complete fighting system.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Which is stupidly hard to internalize, and also results in you getting flattened during the parry window if you’re a few frames late.

I dunno, most parryable enemies have very clear windup and swing phases to their attacks. Once someone told me that my success rate went from like 25% to 90%. I've never been anything but complete garbage at parrying the Souls games, though. Parrying in Bloodborne is a lot easier, for me anyway, and more important.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Mar 20, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wow I just finished Tyranny and the ending is really bad.

The rest of the game is great but a DXHR-style "choose your ending from this dialogue box" ending in a CRPG is just terrible lmao.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

Yo this sounds ridiculous because I've sunk a million hours into this game already and definitely "knew" it subconsciously but seeing it written out here has made me not miss a single parry all night, cheers.

e: also, BB spoilers but nice username/post combo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's also false. The parry timing is different for each attack; for the giants in the chalice dungeons, the timing is right as they smack you in the face. You then riposte for all your hp back. If you do it during the swing, you'll only eat poo poo instead of eating poo poo but also staggering them.

quote:

BB gets significantly easier if you pretend guns that aren't the cannon or the gatling gun don't exist and two hand everything most of the time.

quote:

Being unable to parry large beasts in B.B. is dumb, too. You’re shooting them with silver bullets laced with blood. You telling me I can’t stagger something after shooting it in the face with magic bullets, just because it’s big? At least it made sense in souls because you were physically redirecting the attack.

A lot of the time they actually can still be parried, and when they can't most large monsters can be parried if you can fight the camera enough to hit them in the head. It's usually not worth it though.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Mar 20, 2018

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Gun parrying is insanely cool both mechanically and stylistically. Bloodborne owns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Gun parrying is insanely cool both mechanically and stylistically. Bloodborne owns.

Never could beat the game but out of all the From games it's definitely my favorite despite also beating and loving DS3

Also I appreciate how there's one shield weapon in the game, it's awful, and the flavor text directly calls you a little bitch if you use it

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

RyokoTK posted:

Wow I just finished Tyranny and the ending is really bad.

The rest of the game is great but a DXHR-style "choose your ending from this dialogue box" ending in a CRPG is just terrible lmao.

Yeah, it just kinda... ends. It's disappointing to say the least, which is too bad cause the rest of the game is really good.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been playing Seven: The Days Long Gone and was reminded how I hate it when games drop a huge lore bomb on you during the intro. "And so, the Emperor Drugun waged the 487 year war against the Dark Wizard Clan, only to be interrupted by an uprising by the Scorpion People. Thus, their dark magics summoned the Elder Gods from the Fel Dimension and slew the wizards. But then, the Top Hat Gang seized the ancient weaponry from the forbidden Zn'Raajj Isle, bringing in the Age of Radiation..."

And then your character is some nameless peasant eking out a living 40,000 years after all the interesting stuff has happened.

(none of that actually happens in Seven, except that Emperor Drugun is a thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I played Bulb Boy yesterday and two things really stuck in my craw about it.

1. It's incredibly short. Like I think I spent two hours max on it.

2. For the final boss, they combined frustrating movement puzzles with lovely insta-kill mechanics. You have to navigate past a bunch of grinding teeth while being forced to move very slowly, and then avoid the boss' "suck you into its mouth to kill you" move that always lasts like ten seconds longer than feels reasonable.

Silly game, not terrible, but I was left feeling stiffed by the length.