Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shitboxes are cool though, it's car sub-culture to own a shitbox in nice condition... There's entire internet communities dedicated to seeking out the cars old people bought in the 80s and only drove to the shops once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KakerMix posted:

Crossposting from the import thread

[timg]http://puu.sh/zK1Io/8c6b33f86a

Paint it red, replace “Super casual” with IRONHIDE

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Larrymer posted:

I'm kind of with you on this. Yeah, it's unique here but that doesn't make them good. But I also don't get nostalgic about 80's shitboxes because they're terrible by modern standards. It's not fair to judge them by that obviously but I feel like there's more nostalgia and hype to these old forgotten things than they're really worth.

I'm kind of surprised that we're having this discussion in Automotive Insanity in the 'Awesome AI car poo poo' thread of all places.

"Good" is ultra subjective. Someone posts an AMC Eagle and chances are a lot of people are going to nod and go "hell yeah". It isn't because its good, it's because it's different. Someone posts a first-gen NSX, same thing. It isn't good anymore on paper, it's some old wedge-shaped Honda, not even turbo charged! Or every time an International Scout is posted, that's from a twice-dead manufacturer with a legacy that includes not rust proofing their cars.

Old cars are worse than new ones. Muscle cars are weenies compared to a modern V6 Camry, old trucks are simple uncomfortable things that aren't nearly capable as anything new, old diesel Mercedes are completely painful to drive and the Grand National is a malaise-era leftover painted black. And they are all definitely awesome.

EDIT

BOOTY-ADE posted:

replace “Super casual”

you are out of your goddamned mind

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 19, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kaker's posts are awesome. 80's econoboxes are awesome.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Old cars in good shape are awesome basically regardless of what they are because someone obviously cared about them enough to maintain and preserve them.

On the street I'm more intrigued by a 1982 econobox in great shape than a brand new M3. Sure the M3 is indisputably the better/faster/"cooler" car but anyone with enough cash (or credit) can buy a brand new M3.

There's something unique and special about an old car that defies the expectation that it should have been junked a decade ago. You can't just buy that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Paint it red, replace “Super casual” with IRONHIDE

Vinyl silhouette of a driver and steering wheel in the rear windscreen and windows

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Guinness posted:

anyone with enough cash (or credit) can buy a brand new M3.

This is the key thing I find that explains why I'm like this. Someone shows up at Cars and Coffee with a Hellcat and it's like, yeah neat but I can just go to the dealership and see it probably actually touch it too. Same thing with any new Porsche or BMW or _____. Those only take money. Someone shows up with a mint-condition, completely stock Ford Aerostar though and that's the one I'll want to look at. The hows and whys are going to be far more interesting.

EDIT

xzzy posted:

Are they long enough in the back for a 6 foot adult to sleep? With the 4WD version it would be a kickass camping toy, assuming they're somewhat reliable.

Yeah these Lite/Master Aces are normal-sized minivans and you can absolutely sleep in the backs of them. I actually have a 4WD version that I should have this week I've already bought. Doesn't say 'SUPER CASUAL' but is essentially the same but with a larger engine, same Skylite roof, 5 speed manual and part-time AWD.

DOUBLE EDIT

Most people here would agree that this is pretty awesome even though it's just some old truck.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 19, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Still rocking the original Fitbit Charge (not even the HR). Battery life sucks on it because it's aged, but it told me I managed 27 flights of stairs in less than 2 hours last night.

(All-Con was at a hotel I was delivering to, I got sick of waiting on the elevators - they'd all been packed like sardines by the time they got to me... add in some apartment deliveries and there ya go).

Wish the OG Charge was better at sleep tracking though. It claims I managed almost 10 hours of sleep, with an hour of "restlessness". It was 2 hours of sleep, a bit of tossing and turning before I realized the apartment ac crapped out (wasn't particularly warm, but really humid), waking up to feed the cat and call apartment maintenance, laying back down, finally falling asleep for another 1-2 hours, maintenance waking me up, them figuring out the <1 year old condenser needed a new start cap (and another round of them blaming me for it dying, this time for running it when it's below 80 outside), laying down again, dozing off briefly, then waking up for work. :sigh:

off topic, but can't wait to move out of this shithole.

Well, there's your problem: you actually tried to USE it!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

tl;dr once I'm out of my lease, I have a company name to mention, but my lease specifically mentions "lease violation subject to eviction and lawsuit" and "online mentions of <property company name>" (but hey it also mentions it's a lease violation to contact the city about anything...)

That's.... not legal.

InitialDave posted:

I suspect it's the good old "we can include clauses that won't stand up legally because we know people can't/won't stump up the time and money to fight us on it".

"Also, you're an illegal alien and are afraid to contact any government authority for fear of being deported."

edit: not going to comment on the Lite Ace other than to say I own an AE86, which probably says enough in and of itself. It's not even a GT-S, or a hatchback.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a complete fan of show condition boring cars. I wish I could explain why better but there's something about a normal-rear end car on perfect condition that's like driving a time capsule. There's even a secondary excitement of imagining someone buying their new car in a different time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Guinness posted:

Old cars in good shape are awesome basically regardless of what they are because someone obviously cared about them enough to maintain and preserve them.

On the street I'm more intrigued by a 1982 econobox in great shape than a brand new M3. Sure the M3 is indisputably the better/faster/"cooler" car but anyone with enough cash (or credit) can buy a brand new M3.

There's something unique and special about an old car that defies the expectation that it should have been junked a decade ago. You can't just buy that.

All this poo poo right here. It's the same way with guys that bring brand new Mustangs and Corvettes to car shows. You realize that any rear end in a top hat here can just go to the dealership and buy that car, right?

Every once in a while I'll see a shockingly nice early 90s S10 or something along those lines and I'm just blown away.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Old cars that are well taken care of are awesome. Their awesome factor goes up the closer the car drifts towards "shitbox." The more a car is something nobody would have cared for, the more of a "survivor" it is. But being a "survivor" is bullshit - it's about the owner and their care for it. In a way, survivor shitbox cars are a celebration of humanity and caring, even if it's irrational, and that's awesome.

Also any car with a factory "SUPER CASUAL" gets a pass. It's a gap in language that I love, same with "starion."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's the same way with guys that bring brand new Mustangs and Corvettes to car shows. You realize that any rear end in a top hat here can just go to the dealership and buy that car, right?
We have a big car show where we attract people from about hundreds of miles around, and the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Vette invariably guys get all pissed off every year when they stop registrations for factory new cars. When there are 3 or 4 of your identical car already in the show, and 2 dozen of them on the car lots down the street, why would you even want to go?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
y'all are some alright folks.

rad cars are rad.

i get all :swoon: -y anytime i see a typhoon or syclone and those are just a slightly souped up black s-10 ffs with a garbage rear end GM interior.

but they are also :krad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw one at the Indy Speedway a few years ago!

Sadly it doesn't fit the "well maintained" criteria but you gotta take what you can get I guess.

Has to be a track employee because it was just behind the grandstands, you don't get a car in there easily.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

slidebite posted:

We have a big car show where we attract people from about hundreds of miles around, and the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Vette invariably guys get all pissed off every year when they stop registrations for factory new cars. When there are 3 or 4 of your identical car already in the show, and 2 dozen of them on the car lots down the street, why would you even want to go?

Sometimes the people who show up at Cars and Coffee and try and park in the show lot with their lovely cars is almost sad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xzzy posted:

Sadly it doesn't fit the "well maintained" criteria but you gotta take what you can get I guess.

Has to be a track employee because it was just behind the grandstands, you don't get a car in there easily.

:smithfrog:

someone needs to save that poor jimmy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D C posted:

Sometimes the people who show up at Cars and Coffee and try and park in the show lot with their lovely cars is almost sad.

We get a ton of lovely cars during peak summer. This weird dude kept showing up in a very new Galant and he'd circle til he found a spot next to a hot rod or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I really appreciate the extra preparation it must have taken to set up exact before and after pics. It gives prospective modders a much more exact idea of what they're getting into.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905801

After dealing with the relatively shoddy DIY pics for the 911 short shifter install, I wish I'd had something like this to look at before taking the dive.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Old cars that are well taken care of are awesome. Their awesome factor goes up the closer the car drifts towards "shitbox." The more a car is something nobody would have cared for, the more of a "survivor" it is. But being a "survivor" is bullshit - it's about the owner and their care for it. In a way, survivor shitbox cars are a celebration of humanity and caring, even if it's irrational, and that's awesome.

Also any car with a factory "SUPER CASUAL" gets a pass. It's a gap in language that I love, same with "starion."

Basically this. Hot rods and customs are cool, but there's something just...awesome about a total shitbox in perfect condition, with a dude who loves and knows everything about it because he's been keeping it going for years.

poo poo, my TL isn't even that old (99) but I love the fact that it's still running, and I do everything I can to keep it that way. It's a car no one cares about, and it's as far from special as can be, but there's something neat about taking a car to 250k+ miles and it still going.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

xzzy posted:

A guy I work with has 2 Syclones, a Typhoon, and a Regal Turbo-T.

They're all immaculate and it makes me slightly sad. One of his Syclones has like 5k miles on it.

Obviously he wants a GNX more than anything but the pricing on those is so insane.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Shrapnig posted:

A guy I work with has 2 Syclones, a Typhoon, and a Regal Turbo-T.

They're all immaculate and it makes me slightly sad. One of his Syclones has like 5k miles on it.

Obviously he wants a GNX more than anything but the pricing on those is so insane.

id be fine with a turbo t but that dude sounds cool as hell.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

I'm kind of surprised that we're having this discussion in Automotive Insanity in the 'Awesome AI car poo poo' thread of all places.

"It's the name of the forum guys! You're supposed to like all the same poo poo I like!" Meh, we have different opinions, and that's ok. Muscle cars are neat. An old AMC is cool. Same for an NSX. poo poo boxes and tiny vans aren't IMO though. It's neat to see a clean one, but jump in one and drive it and that ruins it for me. My buddy had a showroom looking, raspberry colored Dodge Shadow in the mid 2000s. It had ~20k miles on it because his parents bought it from a grandma. It was one of the worst cars I've ever been in and we gave him so much poo poo for it. :lol:

I can appreciate cars that are old and/or unique, but they had to at least be decent in their time for me to look at them with rose tinted glasses.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Super clean example of a car that I usually see in shambles.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Super clean example of a car that I usually see in shambles.

Fitting that you took the graniest, shittiest picture of all time of it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Or maybe learn how imgur works, as it's the prime image host posters on SA have used for years? He put an "l" at the end of the filename, making it 640x480. Remove that "l" (or install Imagus or HoverZoom for Chrome/Firefox), and you'll get the full-resolution picture. You can also do "h" for "huge," and M and S for medium/small.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

"It's the name of the forum guys! You're supposed to like all the same poo poo I like!" Meh, we have different opinions, and that's ok. Muscle cars are neat. An old AMC is cool. Same for an NSX. poo poo boxes and tiny vans aren't IMO though. It's neat to see a clean one, but jump in one and drive it and that ruins it for me. My buddy had a showroom looking, raspberry colored Dodge Shadow in the mid 2000s. It had ~20k miles on it because his parents bought it from a grandma. It was one of the worst cars I've ever been in and we gave him so much poo poo for it. :lol:

I can appreciate cars that are old and/or unique, but they had to at least be decent in their time for me to look at them with rose tinted glasses.

:v:
You're illustrating my point though, muscle cars are neat and most of them are total poo poo to drive.
I have had two AMCs in my life, a 1974 Hornet wagon and a 1985 Eagle, also wagon. My father in law, growing up with things like the Hornet, was blown away that we liked it so much. To him, it was a poo poo car with no redeeming features. To me, it was a cool as gently caress yellow wagon that looked unlike anything and while it was slow, inefficient and not really super comfortable it didn't matter because it was cool.
I don't want you to like the same things I like, I want you to understand that we all don't like the same things. If you don't think Super Casual is cool, that's one thing. When you try to be authoritative and explain why it couldn't possibly be cool you are literally being the oldest dude in the world muttering 'millennials' under your breath. You've gotta be more aware than to be so out of touch, right?

Or maybe learn how imgur works, as it's the prime image host posters on SA have used for years? He put an "l" at the end of the filename, making it 640x480. Remove that "l" (or install Imagus or HoverZoom for Chrome/Firefox), and you'll get the full-resolution picture. You can also do "h" for "huge," and M and S for medium/small.

Like this

What a mint-condition POS!

EDIT I assume because it's so choice otherwise, but are those square-tipped exhaust pipes OEM? That's a neat detail.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 20, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Meh, we have different opinions, and that's ok.

No it's not. you are wronggggggggggggggggg. ;)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well because someone mentioned NSX I'll go ahead and post this:

And because I saw it at this event, I'll go ahead and post about this because I believe it's awesome AI poo poo. This photo was taken at a national tour Kia is hosting to give people a chance to drive not only the Stinger GT but competitor cars from Audi/BMW/Porsche. They set up this decent sized autocross cone course in a football stadium parking lot and let people make appointments for different sessions over two days. They brought five Stingers along so there was no waiting, and they had different configurations so I was able to thrash around the exact trim level I had purchased the day before. It looked like I was the only one there who already owned one but there were a lot of Optimas there, along with Mustangs, a Corvette and the above NSX. So a fun crowd and people who really wanted to race around a track. Each one of us got a professional driver to ride around the track with, and at the end they drove and put us to shame, but gave a chance to see what the car can really do.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Shrapnig posted:

Your avatar is incredibly fitting.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My brother has an F-250 with a 7.3 liter diesel
If that truckk dies, I'm putting the turbo from it on my Kia Amanti.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
7.3? It'll never die. The transmission may, but the actual small number of reliable ambulances we used had the 7.3. Idled for literal days at a time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sorry for partying

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

7.3? It'll never die. The transmission may, but the actual small number of reliable ambulances we used had the 7.3. Idled for literal days at a time.

The transmission blew up the day after he got it, amusingly. He got the previous owner to pay half of the replacement cost because he was only pulling 12,500 pounds when it shat the gears out the bottom.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

I want you to understand that we all don't like the same things. If you don't think Super Casual is cool, that's one thing. When you try to be authoritative and explain why it couldn't possibly be cool you are literally being the oldest dude in the world muttering 'millennials' under your breath. You've gotta be more aware than to be so out of touch, right?

Larrymer posted:

Meh, we have different opinions, and that's ok.

...I'm literally telling you the same thing. :v: I guess I'm not communicating clearly enough what I'm trying to say so just pretend I'm still yelling at clouds because arguing about this nonsense is pointless.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

StormDrain posted:

Sorry for partying

Kyle Busch is a loving douchebag though. Wrong thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Your avatar is incredibly fitting.

I like this dude's stuff because I find if you dial it back 3 or 4 clicks the idea's usually pretty great.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:stwoon: I did not realize my favorite sport was Auto Polo until about thirty seconds ago.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My rental car in Iceland this week. Nice.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

davebo posted:

Well because someone mentioned NSX I'll go ahead and post this:

And because I saw it at this event, I'll go ahead and post about this because I believe it's awesome AI poo poo. This photo was taken at a national tour Kia is hosting to give people a chance to drive not only the Stinger GT but competitor cars from Audi/BMW/Porsche. They set up this decent sized autocross cone course in a football stadium parking lot and let people make appointments for different sessions over two days. They brought five Stingers along so there was no waiting, and they had different configurations so I was able to thrash around the exact trim level I had purchased the day before. It looked like I was the only one there who already owned one but there were a lot of Optimas there, along with Mustangs, a Corvette and the above NSX. So a fun crowd and people who really wanted to race around a track. Each one of us got a professional driver to ride around the track with, and at the end they drove and put us to shame, but gave a chance to see what the car can really do.

Is there a website or more info about this? And do you have to have already purchased a stinger or something to do this? Cadillac did something similar to this for the CTS-V a few years ago at COTA. I'd be totally down to go drive some more cars for free if there is one near Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003