Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

boner confessor posted:

galaxy brain is when you realize negro and the other word are the same word with the same meaning just the official and unofficial nomenclature

i was doing research once on residential segregation patterns which was greatly helped by the fact that the city phone book circa 1908 not only listed people alphabetically but by address, and anyone who wasn't white got a little (n) next to their name so i was able to reconstruct a perfectly detailed dataset

Oh, of course. But we're talking about societal acceptance in this context. The prosecutors were noting that the jurors were "negroes". Which was obviously just coded words and amounts to the exact same thing since its still discrimination and a dismissal based on race. Or arguably a worse thing because its shrouded in acceptance and is less overt. But its also a word that they would have gotten away with saying at that time thus explaining why they felt comfortable jotting the N down in their notes.

Its not a justification of the action or the word. Its just an explanation of how they thought it was ok to write that down in 1977. None of it changes the fact that its racist.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Throwing Turtles posted:

This isn't nothing matters but is this Cambridge Analytica a big deal or is it just another hilariously corrupt and incompetent but ultimately tiny little piece of this whole thing. I don't really have any context for this group.
From what I've read, these fuckers basically ran interference by data-mining the poo poo out of social networks in favor of Trump.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I actually searched Chapo Podcast. I saw the explanation as to why "Chapo Trap House" and I thought it was funny. :mmmhmm:

Bodega Boys > Chapo Trap House

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

From what I've read, these fuckers basically ran interference by data-mining the poo poo out of social networks in favor of Trump.
And admitting to bribing and black-mailing politicians so they vote in favor of their client....

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

Insurance companies absolutely do not want human drivers second guessing AIs. It's massively implausible. Modern cars are currently flush with "safety features" that are literally sensors and safeguards for the car to second guess the human driver. Modern cars are nearly self driving, in 20 years new cars more or less will be even if they still give drivers the illusion of control.

but this is still with the basic assumption that a human is responsible for the vehicle because it isn't "self driving". what happens when a vehicle is sold as "it drives itself" and then is found at fault for a wreck?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

boner confessor posted:

but this is still with the basic assumption that a human is responsible for the vehicle because it isn't "self driving". what happens when a vehicle is sold as "it drives itself" and then is found at fault for a wreck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Approximately_64,695_Pounds_of_Shark_Fins

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Throwing Turtles posted:

This isn't nothing matters but is this Cambridge Analytica a big deal or is it just another hilariously corrupt and incompetent but ultimately tiny little piece of this whole thing. I don't really have any context for this group.

Its a very big deal, but not likely the thing that will take down Trump. CA is backed by the Mercers who are huge power players in funding Alt-Right poo poo stirrers. They fund Brietbart and college nazi tours, and they're huge Trump donors. Coming on the heels of the Facebook stuff, its gonna get very rough for a company that has been at the center of tons of political campaigns.

In addition to Trump, they were also deeply involved in Brexit. On tape, he seemingly admitted to tons of crimes, not just in the US, but also in the UK as well as tons of other countries.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I'd suggest: stop calling it the "Justice" system, because it isn't, and calling it by that name implies that it is.

Incarceration system, judicial system, etc., ok.

We stop calling it the Justice system and we have to redo the intros for so many Law & Orders. Do you want that on your head?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

And admitting to bribing and black-mailing politicians so they vote in favor of their client....

And admitted to selling their data on American voters to Russia.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Throwing Turtles posted:

It's an enormous deal. They're in deep with the GOP and have been caught on camera admitting to defrauding elections in several nations, and it's run by Bannon iirc

This might be the beginning of the end.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Saladin Rising posted:

It's crazy when you realize just how deep and widespread this poo poo is.

Here's an old article with some new context from this week's events:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/26/julian-assange-confirms-cambridge-analytica-sought-wikileaks-help

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Only time will tell. We've lost all sense of perspective here.

EDIT: I should have quoted the post this was a reply to, but honestly it's a good response to everything these days.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zwiebel posted:

Isn't this Cambridge Analytica stuff comparable to a criminal conspiracy to commit treason?
Like, that seems like kind of a big deal to me, but I ain't a lawyer, so I wouldn't know the difference.
It's just that most countries really don't like treason. Even the western democracies.

I figured it was just some Russians sitting safely in some office building in siberia or wherever and getting paid for trolling people into Brexit/Trump/other right wing nationalist movements during their working hours, while social media companies look on in quasi criminal neglect. But I guess it makes sense that there's an actual business sitting on the other side willing to hire themselves out for maximum profit.

Pedantry about "Treason" aside, yes the things they talk about doing in the Channel 4 exposé are very very illegal.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Aidan_702 posted:

There are reporters literally outside cambridge analytica’s offices right now. Facebook employees seen going in. And now the police

This is like the end of shawshank redemption.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Off topic but Jim Jordan doesn't get enough credit for being the biggest piece of poo poo liar in Washington DC.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Meatball posted:

This is like the end of shawshank redemption.

Let's Hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNosXV9pbrM

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I am reasonably sure there has been a conversation between a bunch of rich white guys sipping cognac and smoking cigars congratulating each other on how "national governments" were for the little people, and they transcended governmental restrictions and they believed that poo poo.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Last week was a pretty good Infrastructure Week and that one only really started with Stormy Daniels annoying Trump.
This is looking like a pretty good Infrastructure Week too.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
This is...really gathering steam

https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/975818564652486656?s=21

All of you have to follow @carolecadwalla
She’s been working on this stuff for nearly a year and it’s finallty coming out now. She said there’s even more to come. Here’s hoping for an explanation of how they on Brexit

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Azhais posted:

I think it's vastly more likely for the reverse to be true, insurance companies charging a massive premium for manual cars. Once they all get networked sharing sensor data having people doing their own thing is going to be a massive liability. The "MUH PRIVACY" crowd will hold off adoption for a while but unless you're going to spearhead a modern Luddite movement the second it's shown to be safer family people will switch in droves.

We (I work for a P&C Insurance Company) are going down this route as quickly as the people and politicians will allow us right now.

At the moment we offer discounts if you voluntarily plug in a device we mail you into your car's data port and then mail it back to us every year or so. Right now the discounts are small and you won't really get dinged much if the device tells us you suck at driving, but as soon as we get a mountain of data to prove to the regulators that, duh, people who drive fast, don't signal, often turn sharply, and slam on their brakes frequently also get involved in a lot more accidents and we can quantify how much more money they cost, then I imagine someday insurance will be too expensive unless you agree to use one of those little devices (which will soon just send back data every month over cell phone wifi) and actually drive safely to qualify for the "dont make my insurance costs go through the loving roof" discount.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, that too. Haven't seen that Channel 4 special. Might watch it later today if still possible.

The Glumslinger posted:

Its a very big deal, but not likely the thing that will take down Trump. CA is backed by the Mercers who are huge power players in funding Alt-Right poo poo stirrers. They fund Brietbart and college nazi tours, and they're huge Trump donors. Coming on the heels of the Facebook stuff, its gonna get very rough for a company that has been at the center of tons of political campaigns.

In addition to Trump, they were also deeply involved in Brexit. On tape, he seemingly admitted to tons of crimes, not just in the US, but also in the UK as well as tons of other countries.
This is how you wake up with a horse's head in your bed, isn't it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like the part where the executive says "We're totally on the up and up. Like, we'd never send hookers to your opponents to entrap them, for instance. That's crossing a line." Then the CEO says "We'll DEFINITELY send hookers. Ukranian ones. Very effective - we've done it before."

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The Republican in me does not want to believe.

But the coverage is being narrated with a British accent, which makes me believe.

What am I to do?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

cambridge analytica appears to have had a novel strategy of combining people willing to commit international conspiracy with people who cannot stop bragging about committing international conspiracy

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crows Turn Off posted:

Don't forget apparent sex trafficking, bringing in attractive Ukrainian women to seduce the target for blackmail purposes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

QuoProQuid posted:

cambridge analytica appears to have had a novel strategy of combining people willing to commit international conspiracy with people who cannot stop bragging about committing international conspiracy

Sounds like the last 20 minutes of a Bond movie

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

boner confessor posted:

However they handle it now for any other accident involving non-negligent part failure.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Bodega Boys > Chapo Trap House

Dr. Pepper > Overwatch

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't forget apparent sex trafficking, bringing in attractive Ukrainian women to seduce the target for blackmail purposes.

What if the target doesn't like Ukrainian women? This is important, for reasons.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That screen cap (which is ironically hilarious) makes me think that Cambridge Analytics might have something to do with James O'Keefe and Project Veritas.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

QuoProQuid posted:

This is the best Watergate yet!

Tormented posted:

What if the target doesn't like Ukrainian women? This is important, for reasons.

Then you go Romanian.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

"Crimes! Love 'em! Love doing 'em!" *tears open $3000 suit jacket to reveal $5 polyester I <3 CRIMES t-shirt*

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Thank God for infrastructure week!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tormented posted:

I'm sure that strapping Ukrainian men can be arranged for the Mr. P operation.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Tormented posted:

The real advancement that CA brought to the field of blackmail was using Big Data to personalize the honey trap they use

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
damnit CA stole my idea of how to turn my local politicians actually progressive

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Xyven posted:

The real advancement that CA brought to the field of blackmail was using Big Data to personalize the honey trap they use

Or in using it to find the blackmail opportunities.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Xyven posted:

"I should've known it was all a setup when she showed up in the same outfit my waifu pillow wears uwu"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Another not Trump, but still:

https://twitter.com/ajc/status/975470866371923968

This story's been in the news all day. Practically every article and tweet about it features a picture of a video game controller instead of a gun. It's driving me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

selec posted:

Dr. Pepper > Overwatch

That means nothing to me 🤷🏾‍♀️

• Locked thread