Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

If the person was outside of a crosswalk they didn't have the right of way and may be legally to blame for the accident.

quote:

Arizona law also requires drivers of motor vehicles to pay attention and to drive "reasonably" for all traffic conditions. "All traffic conditions" includes the existence of pedestrians in or near the roadways.

So, should an accident occur between a jaywalker and a car---if shown that the driver could have/should have seen the person and could have/should have been able to avoid, then without question the driver can be held responsible.

autonomous cars are vastly more capable with regards to reaction time than humans, so the car should have been able to avoid the accident under p much any scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

PEOPLE RUN OVER PEOPLE ALL THE TIME

SELF DRIVING CARS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SAFE

SELF DRIVING CARS WILL NEVER HAPPEN

SELF DIVING CARS ARE ALREADY HAPPENING

ISSUES OF SCALE WILL PREVENT THE WIDE DEPLOYMENT OF SELF DRIVING CARS

NO THEY WON'T

YES THEY WILL

INSULTS

This is your abridged discussion.

Oh good, we've already reached stage 2.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

autonomous cars are vastly more capable with regards to reaction time than humans, so the car should have been able to avoid the accident under p much any scenario

Why? it's still a physical car that can only move or stop so fast and is still constrained by other cars on the road.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Condiv posted:

I'm as cynical about self-driving cars, but id a person steps out in front of a car without warning, any car is going to hit them if there isn't enough time ro lay on the brakes. Without knowing the actual circumstances, it is impossible to say who's at fault, so we'll just have a cool internet circle jerk.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

I'm as cynical about self-driving cars, but id a person steps out in front of a car without warning, any car is going to hit them if there isn't enough time ro lay on the brakes. Without knowing the actual circumstances, it is impossible to say who's at fault, so we'll just have a cool internet circle jerk.

yeah. the technology "should be safer" because it's technology, and not an irrational human. but reaction time aside, if the system wasn't or isn't capable of flagging a pedestrian who suddenly pops out from behind a tree into the roadway at night then that pedestrian is in trouble no matter who or what is behind the wheel. this isn't necessarily an indictment of self driving cars but perhaps a warning that we can only make them so much safer relative to an experienced human driver, simply because the concept of using cars themselves is inherently dangerous

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nm posted:

there's a huge amount more time to lay on the brakes for an autonomous vehicle than a human controlled one. it's hard to imagine any scenario where she could step in front of one, it detect her, and fail to brake in time, barring her suicidally stepping right into it as it passes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why? it's still a physical car that can only move or stop so fast and is still constrained by other cars on the road.

stopping in order to avoid hitting a pedestrian is not constrained by other cars on the road

as for stop time, if it were going 50mph, it would need 5 seconds to make a complete stop, but it would need less than 2 seconds to slow down to the point where it was traveling at a little less than fatal crash speed for hitting a human

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 19, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

there's a huge amount more time to lay on the brakes for an autonomous vehicle than a human controlled one. it's hard to imagine any scenario where she could step in front of one, it detect her, and fail to brake in time, barring her suicidally stepping right into it as it passes.

it's pretty easy to imagine this scenario actually, pedestrians get hit and killed all the time for many reasons. one of the new big causes of pedestrian death is people playing with their smartphones while walking and they walk right in front of a car. also a third of pedestrians killed by cars in 2016 were legally drunk

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/522085503/2016-saw-a-record-increase-in-pedestrian-deaths

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

At 40mph it takes 76ft to stop a car even with 0 reaction time.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that someone could be distracted and step out in front of a car that physically can not stop before hitting them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Condiv posted:

The last thing in the world that I want to do is defend Uber, but this kind of poo poo actually does happen and it's not always because the person in question is suicidal. Sometimes pedestrians don't see cars and step into the road at a point where it's outside of the physical ability of the car to stop, even with perfect reaction time. I know someone who killed a teenager about fifteen years ago this way. She was never even charged with anything since several witnesses made it clear that there was absolutely no way she could have stopped the car in time.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but even 100% perfect autonomous cars are going to sometimes run people over because a car can only stop so fast and sensors can't magically see through solid objects.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paradoxish posted:

The last thing in the world that I want to do is defend Uber, but this kind of poo poo actually does happen and it's not always because the person in question is suicidal. Sometimes pedestrians don't see cars and step into the road at a point where it's outside of the physical ability of the car to stop, even with perfect reaction time. I know someone who killed a teenager about fifteen years ago this way. She was never even charged with anything since several witnesses made it clear that there was absolutely no way she could have stopped the car in time.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but even 100% perfect autonomous cars are going to sometimes run people over because a car can only stop so fast and sensors can't magically see through solid objects.

your friend doesn't have anywhere close to perfect reaction time so i'm not sure why you think the anecdote is particularly applicable.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

your friend doesn't have anywhere close to perfect reaction time so i'm not sure why you think the anecdote is particularly applicable.

You keep ignoring the fact that reaction time is only part of the equation. Cars don't magically stop the second someone/something hits the brakes

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Condiv posted:

It's applicable because you didn't understand my anecdote. With perfect reaction time she still would have hit that girl. In that particular case there was a large bush that made it both impossible for the pedestrian to see that a car was coming and for the driver to see that a pedestrian was about to step out into the street. She stepped into the road maybe 20 feet in front of a car moving over 40mph. It had nothing to do with reaction time.

Cars don't magically stop. Cars with perfect reaction times are going to hit pedestrians occasionally.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also there was a human sitting behind the wheel and I guess that didn't help much anyways? So why bother arguing about the sensors?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

Page 3 of this document: https://nacto.org/docs/usdg/vehicle_stopping_distance_and_time_upenn.pdf
30ft braking distance at 25mph.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

You keep ignoring the fact that reaction time is only part of the equation. Cars don't magically stop the second someone/something hits the brakes

they don't have to magically stop to avoid killing someone, they just have to decelerate enough to avoid doing so.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Condiv posted:

they don't have to magically stop to avoid killing someone, they just have to decelerate enough to avoid doing so.

Cars can't magically do this either.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paradoxish posted:

no, but it's a much lower threshold than you guys have been proposing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

This is obviously an area ready for disruption then!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

no, but it's a much lower threshold than you guys have been proposing.
You were proposing that there was no threshold

Condiv posted:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

trucutru posted:

This is obviously an area ready for disruption then!

If the brakes had blockchains this would never have happened.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

You were proposing that there was no threshold

there really isn't. I checked the speedlimit of that street and it's 40mph. that's less than 4 seconds to reach full stop. and the car doesn't have to reach full stop for the accident to not be lethal

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 19, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well given that there are absolutely no details on what exactly happened, clearly we should keep arguing until there are.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

divabot posted:

oh god it's loving calacanis

I set the bozo bit on this guy about a decade ago when he was coming up with fabulously useless proposals for Wikipedia

then for Bitcoin

his how-to book on angel investing is p much "you should have been friends with Kalanick like me" - or, "pick six numbers in the lottery like a genius"

The Jason Calacanis?

Oh, he was a major e-hole during the dot-com era. I was around for the battle-royal between him and the 'Netslaves' people.

"During the dot-com boom, Calacanis was active in New York's Silicon Alley community, and in 1996 began producing the Silicon Alley Reporter."

Here's a mention from Netslaves in 2000

quote:

I want VC. I want to live high on the hog and
bang marketing women.

Seriously, my thinking is that many of these companies
are screwed by being public. Pseudo had what 170
people. Yet, they were looking to go public.

There are McDonalds with more people on three
shifts than these public companies. Some companies
have a historic record of failed, spendthrift management.
Or managers who have absolutely no clue on the broad,
simple points of running a business. Not the fine points,
but the broad points, like not investing the last payroll
in lottery tickets. Which I hope is an FC joke.

Of course your companies made money. If they didn't,
you would have uh, starved. See, most people need
to make a profit or they eventually file for bankruptcy.

This isn't about dotcoms, or greed, but class. The sons
and daughters of the surburban middle class act as if
they are princes of the realm and all their ideas are bound
for success. You can read the yearbook editor Calacanis
and see this attitude dripping in spades.

These people are largely disconnected from the ideas of
hard work and loyalty. They have never been taught how
to work and more importantly appreciate the work of others.

We have a marvelous record of diversity in the dotcom
world. You can be any color and your boss will be sure
to try and sleep with you. You can have any interracial
pairing you can imagine and everyone will be indifferent.
For a country which used to hang people for this, this
is a good thing.

But this is an industry with ferocious social snobs. People
with their noses so high in the air that they routinely insult
people for not knowing arcane computer languages. Where
social status depends on the mastery of trivia.

These people thought that work was just the waystation to
fame. Rappers call it bling-bling, but it's really about
greed. Sure, Josh Harris doesn't have a mouth of
platinum teeth, but he thought lovely streaming video
would turn millions into billions. These kids couldn't
rap, but they thought a website could do the same thing..

Instead of rolling with the cash money brothers or
the lost boyz, it was razorfish and iVillage. But it's
the same mentality. Bling-bling-look at my stock
options, bling-bling, I get all the sales hotties, bling-bling,
I got a loft in Williamsburg, bling-bling, I had dinner at
Nobu with Candace Carpenter.

In the real world, most people work for small, privately
held companies. These people pay their bills, their workers
feed their families and live their lives. There is nothing wrong
in being rich, but it has to be based on something, ability,
competance. Yeah, you can walk into wealth, but then you
have to do something with it. For most of us, this is a better
career choice than others, but it isn't the lottery.

If people had tried to build careers, had tried to learn and
grow instead of blow up large and bling-bling their
new found wealth, they would be around today. APB
could have been viable for a decade with the investment
they had, but no, it was bling-bling we're gonna be
rich and have a TV network and cover crime and do
all this stuff. There was no sense of the long term here.
Get in, get out and quit loving about was the motto.

The whole mentality was condusive to make people
rich, not build anything to last. Which is the way of
boom economies.

- Robin 'roblimo' Miller

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Imagine being such a fan of robots that you immediately start victim blaming a dead human when they are killed by a robot. Without having any additional information about the details of the situation.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Imagine being such a fan of robots that you immediately start victim blaming a dead human when they are killed by a robot. Without having any additional information about the details of the situation.

I'm not a fan of robots but I do hate humans

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GEMorris posted:

otoh it's fairly well known in traffic engineering that pedestrians are like squirrels and can and will get themselves killed without hard barriers and separation between the road and the sidewalk, sufficient and clearly marked crosswalks, etc.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Condiv posted:

Very low speed car-pedestrian accidents can be fatal. People die from head injuries all the time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Condiv posted:

there really isn't. I checked the speedlimit of that street and it's 40mph. that's less than 4 seconds to reach full stop. and the car doesn't have to reach full stop for the accident to not be lethal

It's a probability distribution that any given collision with a pedestrian will result in a fatality. It's less likely that you're going to be killed in a low speed accident, but it happens all the time. The only way to prevent all fatal pedestrian/vehicle collisions is to build magical cars that defy the laws of physics and stop instantly (presumably killing their occupants).

Seriously, you're making such a ridiculous claim that you've got a thread full of people who generally hate Uber actually defending them. Without details it's impossible to know what actually happened, but it's also not at all outside of the realm of possibility that a pedestrian stepped into the road in such a way that the car physically could not stop in time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

Without details it's impossible to know what actually happened, but it's also not at all outside of the realm of possibility that a pedestrian stepped into the road in such a way that the car physically could not stop in time.

this is actually the more probable scenario imo. people in general are surprisingly bad at not getting hit by cars

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

What speed do you think you can harmlessly get hit by a car?

Your posts are making it seem like you have never even seen a car before?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What speed do you think you can harmlessly get hit by a car?

Your posts are making it seem like you have never even seen a car before?

hmm, i don't think i said anything about being hit by a car is harmless

Paradoxish posted:

It's a probability distribution that any given collision with a pedestrian will result in a fatality. It's less likely that you're going to be killed in a low speed accident, but it happens all the time. The only way to prevent all fatal pedestrian/vehicle collisions is to build magical cars that defy the laws of physics and stop instantly (presumably killing their occupants).

Seriously, you're making such a ridiculous claim that you've got a thread full of people who generally hate Uber actually defending them. Without details it's impossible to know what actually happened, but it's also not at all outside of the realm of possibility that a pedestrian stepped into the road in such a way that the car physically could not stop in time.

i dunno, published AI researchers seem to think the car was at fault

https://twitter.com/filippie509/status/975805568756494336

but i guess we just have to assume the woman darted in front of the car and that's why uber has shut down their self-driving car program

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i dunno, published AI researchers seem to think the car was at fault

https://twitter.com/filippie509/status/975805568756494336

i like the use of researchers to puff up your quote of a single guy making an educated guess

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

hmm, i don't think i said anything about being hit by a car is harmless

Okay, can you list the speed you think a car can hit you where you are remotely safe from death?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Even if Uber is at fault (which wouldn't be terribly surprising) making sweeping claims that autonomous vehicles are 10x more dangerous than cars based on a single data point is dumb. That guy is just trying to get publicity for his blog

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

“ok everyone listen to my extremely hot take: self driving cars will eventually be good, but are currently not yet good, and it will probably take several years of engineering to make them good. you may bring out torches and pitchforks now..”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

Even if Uber is at fault (which wouldn't be terribly surprising) making sweeping claims that autonomous vehicles are 10x more dangerous than cars based on a single data point is dumb. That guy is just trying to get publicity for his blog

what do you mean single data point? he has numerous sources

edit: ah, you're quibbling over what he measures, despite it being one of very few public measures of autonomous car safety available. ok

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 19, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

what do you mean single data point? he has numerous sources

edit: ah, you're quibbling over what he measures, despite it being one of very few public measures of autonomous car safety available. ok

One death

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Condiv posted:

there is no good data on self driving car kdr yet because there isn’t a large enough dataset of different self droving cars killing or not killing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

he didn't base that 10x figure off this one death, he already came to it from other data

suck my woke dick posted:

there is no good data on self driving car kdr yet because there isn’t a large enough dataset of different self droving cars killing or not killing people

which is why he discussed what we do have info on, disengagement data