Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's pretend, it's a gag gift, they just don't make a distinction between gold as in "made of Au" and gold as in "shiny yellow color"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wasn’t there some counterfeit gold in the thread that had a plating and weighed the correct amount for gold? I saw some listing like that and the reviews mentioned selling it with no problems.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Wait what? They're selling $1300 worth of gold for $3, thinking (and the product saying) it's bronze?

From what I could find they do sell real bronze and gold bullion like this and the seller is just playing up the holy poo poo check out this gold angle. It does say gold plated + "metal" so they aren't trying very hard to scam you

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want to buy a pile of the nazi gold, scatter it around my house, and go "boing boing boing! duh duhdhudhu!" as I pick it up.

edit: reference

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 19, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I can’t imagine these plated bars have any legitimate use besides being used as film props and prop makers wouldn’t be ordering from AliExpress

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/F77ZfMzA

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I’m going to get an old treasure chest and fill it with bitcoins. http://s.aliexpress.com/QjUbyemI

I especially like the Silk Road ones.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Snowy posted:

I can’t imagine these plated bars have any legitimate use besides being used as film props and prop makers wouldn’t be ordering from AliExpress

A lot of stuff on AliExpress is the same poo poo that gets imported by the container load by retailers and other suppliers. If you were a small film maker you certainly would look places like AliExpress if you couldn't beg borrow steal locally from prop suppliers

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Carecat posted:

garbage a legitimate product I have purchased

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/999-Gold-One-Troy-Ounce-Atlantis-Mint-24k-Pure-Gold-Bullion-Bar-with-Free-Capsule/32727594634.html

I am 100% sure this is real gold despite a troy ounce being $1300. They don't seem to have noticed that it's printed as "bronze" in several of the products which is actually about that price point

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4tVo47lvdk

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Carecat posted:

garbage a legitimate product I have purchased

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/999-Gold-One-Troy-Ounce-Atlantis-Mint-24k-Pure-Gold-Bullion-Bar-with-Free-Capsule/32727594634.html

I am 100% sure this is real gold despite a troy ounce being $1300. They don't seem to have noticed that it's printed as "bronze" in several of the products which is actually about that price point

lol

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Snowy posted:

They don't have any illegitimate uses either: no-one who knows gold is going to be fooled.

I bought a couple of bits as a novelty and I suppose I might make a keyring or similar.

I did have a vague plan of making them buried treasure for a game or hidden cache, then I realised that if someone found them, they might think they were real and get crushing disappointment when they discover their financial worries weren't over after all. Which isn't a fun game.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Personally I'm putting all my life savings into bitcoin

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...2826588012.html

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd buy a stack of these in the under a dollar range.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamit there's so many bitcoin videos that I can't find that buttcoin rap some goon did.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfeLdjNVKY

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 19, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I'd buy a stack of these in the under a dollar range.

I love reading the occasional news story where somebody scams a moron by selling them a physical bitcoin. These seem like they'd do the trick.

Also the anniversary sale is apparently in 9 days. Will the prices be artificially inflated to increase the perceived discount? Will coupon stacking work like it's supposed so? Who knows!

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I wanted a print of "Boy with Apple" from The Grand Budapest Hotel, just to have something fun. Available prints were just lovely screen-grabs from the movie. I shopped around looking for someone to paint it in the USA, but their prices were always far more than I was willing to pay for a joke.

AliExpress made it happen.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The Hambulance posted:

I wanted a print of "Boy with Apple" from The Grand Budapest Hotel, just to have something fun. Available prints were just lovely screen-grabs from the movie. I shopped around looking for someone to paint it in the USA, but their prices were always far more than I was willing to pay for a joke.

How much?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Hambulance posted:

Now that's cool. Tell me all.

(I have been looking for a copy of the 'Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies' by Van Klomp for ages)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When I receive full payment I will paint out my watermark

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

$145 each for an 18 x 24 picture (I got one for another goon). Took about 4 weeks, but Chinese New Year was right in the middle. The company made me find an example I liked so they could get the colors right, and they posted a photo of the painting for my approval before it shipped. Came via DHL in a cardboard tube.

Prices in the States ranged from $450 to $700, so this was a bargain.

Edit: I’m trying to find the company so I can link

Edit 2: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-oil-painting-reproduction-famous-arts-handmade-painting-artwork-for-home-decoration/1782358421.html

Very easy to deal with.

The Hambulance fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 19, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Custom oil paintings are the best thing you can get on AE. You can even get something “simpler” like a degas for under a bill.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also the anniversary sale is apparently in 9 days. Will the prices be artificially inflated to increase the perceived discount? Will coupon stacking work like it's supposed so? Who knows!
Oh man you aren't joking. I had so much stuff in my cart that has always been like $1, is now $2, will go down to $1.75 for the sale. Brutal

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There used to be a site called something like customchinesepropaganda.com or something like that, and like you’d guess, they would paint your face into your choice of propaganda artwork.

I found this example I remember from the site

Since then I’ve wished I had ordered one, and that painting posted earlier made me check it out again. There’s a couple sites I’ve seen that do it, but they’re probably just middle men farming it out to aliexpress.

Some of them look pretty good

And some look a little lovely

So it’s probably a little bit of a crapshoot and also depends on really good reference that matches the look of the painting as closely as possible.

I’m keeping my eyes out for a good painter now, but if any of you find something especially good on AliExpress please :justpost:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

spog posted:

(I have been looking for a copy of the 'Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies' by Van Klomp for ages)

If you get it, please post!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Oh man you aren't joking. I had so much stuff in my cart that has always been like $1, is now $2, will go down to $1.75 for the sale. Brutal

It seems to be 100% dependent on the seller's whims. I have gotten some genuine deals during previous sales, but it seems like there are five examples of pricing fuckery for every one bargain. It really helps if you have been watching the item's regular price fluctuations so you know what stuff is usually worth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It seems to be 100% dependent on the seller's whims. I have gotten some genuine deals during previous sales, but it seems like there are five examples of pricing fuckery for every one bargain. It really helps if you have been watching the item's regular price fluctuations so you know what stuff is usually worth.

It's easy because it's all actually worth nothing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I loaded my cart up last night for my first Ali buy and went to check out today and it was like gently caress-you-Christmas.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looking at custom oils paintings almost all of them are for paint-by-numbers on canvas. Who the gently caress does that? Ok, maybe it’s a good gag once in a while but it’s like 90% of the custom oil painting listings.

This one looks ok

http://s.aliexpress.com/iE3QfuuA

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My official Battldgrounes merchandise arrived.

It's way too big for a key ring which is what I expected but the quality is excellent,.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Carecat posted:

My official Battldgrounes merchandise arrived.

It's way too big for a key ring which is what I expected but the quality is excellent,.

I had no idea what thread I was in for a minute there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowy posted:

Looking at custom oils paintings almost all of them are for paint-by-numbers on canvas. Who the gently caress does that? Ok, maybe it’s a good gag once in a while but it’s like 90% of the custom oil painting listings.

This one looks ok

http://s.aliexpress.com/iE3QfuuA

LOL, how big a choad is this guy?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Well drat never thought I’d be a purveyor of art but it’s hard to resist that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL, how big a choad is this guy?

Those other two examples are extremely shameful

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
If you're like me, you like your bath scrub to be harsh. If you can't feel your skin peeling, it's not harsh enough.
I spent years trying to find a scrub that's hard enough, I even tried pan scrubbers. Cue these cheap nylon fuckers:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WEC...0004520261.html

They are nothing like those soft nylon scrunchy netlike sponges that you might've seen that do an awesome foamy lather or whatever. No, these do one job and that job is to scrape off as much skin as possible without actually being a power tool. They feel incredible.
They're currently 2.17, will be 1.79 in the sale, both of those prices being less than I paid for them, so you can be sure you're saving pennies!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If you're like me, you like your bath scrub to be harsh. If you can't feel your skin peeling, it's not harsh enough.
I spent years trying to find a scrub that's hard enough, I even tried pan scrubbers. Cue these cheap nylon fuckers:

They are nothing like those soft nylon scrunchy netlike sponges that you might've seen that do an awesome foamy lather or whatever. No, these do one job and that job is to scrape off as much skin as possible without actually being a power tool. They feel incredible.
They're currently 2.17, will be 1.79 in the sale, both of those prices being less than I paid for them, so you can be sure you're saving pennies!

yes please. destroy my body

How long have they lasted you? Those dumb netted lace bundles always fall apart in like two weeks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like salux cloths but they are like six dollars

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

That's a potato-peeling glove lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a potato-peeling glove lol

How did you think ladies got our skin so soft?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Blue Train posted:

Those other two examples are extremely shameful

This is shameful??

Yeah that Spiderman isn’t too hot but to be fair the reference wasn’t very good. If I were ordering I’d make sure the lighting was coming from the same angle, the color was right, and the camera angle was right. You probably have to leave as little to their imagination as possible.

Or get one of yourself like this :nws:
http://s.aliexpress.com/FR322iYZ

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Snowy posted:

This is shameful??

Spiderman and game of thrones+cats

Lol at whoever would buy the girl painting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004