Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaha posted:

You guys take those down?

Those bastards get put up and they stay up. :colbert:

Im pretty sure the neighbors were complaining lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Are you allowed to take pictures while driving in the states? Here in Ontario distracted driving charges are pretty serious.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TWSS posted:

Are you allowed to take pictures while driving in the states? Here in Ontario distracted driving charges are pretty serious.

They're pretty gnarly here in BC too, and it seems to be working. Immediate $368 fine, plus a $175 fine when you go to renew your insurance and then you find out your insurance rates have been hiked by 20%.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Using a handheld cell phone while driving is illegal in california, but it's rarely enforced and the fine is relatively small.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And I mean that was like 30 feet away from our driveway, phone was down for the rest of the trip

this time

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Regular Car Reviews did a video a while back about the Yamaha R6 and spends about half the review talking about torque curves, riding above your skill level, and not being able to trust yourself to stay out of trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglzNAML78M

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Hatter posted:

Regular Car Reviews did a video a while back about the Yamaha R6 and spends about half the review talking about torque curves, riding above your skill level, and not being able to trust yourself to stay out of trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglzNAML78M

Well yeah, but none of that really applies to me for the following reasons:

1)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Well yeah, but none of that really applies to me for the following reasons:

1)

don't post the thought processes / entire mental state of the first-bike literbike buyer

Edit: well, I guess it should be 1) Enlistment bonus, dudes!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im the 600cc dick joke

e: no I'm the three fingers of bleach with a whiskey-back

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Chipping in for the SV650 crowd, though mine is carb'd. Pretty sure I've installed the fourth front end it's had on it, it's literally caught on fire, and I've had to replace some shifter bits. I still love it :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Too bad you're not near me... https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sv650-electrical-special/6536436573.html

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Not sure why this made me think of DICK.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/03/ontario-pcs-unveil-dental-plan-pair-pliers-poor-people-can-borrow/

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I mean these ones are in CO, the first even being in Centennial

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2000-suzuki-sv650/6508638927.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/06-sv650-with-upgrades/6534940731.html

This seems like a deal

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/suzuki-sv-650-need-to-pay-rent/6510047801.html

I like this one

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/price-reduced-bmwst/6511062626.html

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I like the first blue one you posted. Looks well sorted, nice lithium battery, forks have been redone, new michelins. Its carbed, but has been jetted. Seems like a good deal.

I think that bmw F bike was made by loncin in china. Or maybe it was rotax. Either way its not a good idea. Look for an R or a later F.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My mom just said she had such a lovely Monday she said she needed to get off work, have a margarita or twelve, and do her taxes to calm down

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
About 15 minutes later this is where we were

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Using a handheld cell phone while driving thing is illegal in california, but it's rarely enforced and the fine is relatively small.

Edited for accuracy.

Dick, just buy a fullface helmet for gently caress's sake - I swear if you undergo all this extensive dental torture and post a pic of you in a 1/2 or 3/4 on your new 600 I will find you and wreck you. I also highly recommend expensive as-gently caress boots and general armor.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Edited for accuracy.

Dick, just buy a fullface helmet for gently caress's sake - I swear if you undergo all this extensive dental torture and post a pic of you in a 1/2 or 3/4 on your new 600 I will find you and wreck you. I also highly recommend expensive as-gently caress boots and general armor.

Terms and conditions understood. So helmetless is otherwise fine then

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I've ridden four bikes (including my dad's old rear end shadow 750) in my life. A sv650, a r6, and a hell tuned s1000rr.

Don't get an r6. That loving thing made me fear for my life a liter bike will never get across. You know a s1000rr wants to kill you. You know it's going to. You never get lulled into complacency with it on a short ride.

An r6, or any other 600cc "proper" sport bike will pretend to be manageable for a new rider. Until you crack the throttle and your last meal rockets out your rear end in a top hat before it's been digested. The tach climbs *instantly* from "this is really fast but ok" to gently caress-your-mother levels of power.

Just get a sv 650, a cbr500r, or a ninja 500. Save yourself, so that we may live through you

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
OH MY loving GOD MY loving DAD YOU GUYS

https://youtu.be/ZNPjB0bauN8

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Terms and conditions understood. So helmetless is otherwise fine then

I'm invoking my previously stated "general armor" clause.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
Regarding Bike Chat...

Comedy option:

What Dave needs is one of these. ACVW powerplant would make him feel right at home.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

steady posted:

Regarding Bike Chat...

Comedy option:

What Dave needs is one of these. ACVW powerplant would make him feel right at home.

Amazing :allears:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html

The current models have 200+ horsepower.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!
Y'all are a bunch of pussies.

http://hiconsumption.com/2013/07/dodge-tomahawk-worlds-fastest-motorcycle/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

steady posted:

Regarding Bike Chat...

Comedy option:

quote:

The stock VW four-speed transmission was retained, complete with a functional reverse gear (turns out it was needed considering the heft of the thing). The final drive was crudely adapted to a chain by welding the differential gears and driving a sprocket off one of the half shafts.
Holy hell

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That has four wheels, and is therefore a car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
No, see; THIS is Dave's true spirit bike

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I remember salivating over the Tomahawk in high school with my gearhead buddy... It seems like Dick's true calling

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I remember salivating over the Tomahawk in high school with my gearhead buddy... It seems like Dick's true calling

I want this one some day in this color. I think this is the best looking bike that has ever been made, and even long before I started getting into bikes I could recognise this one in the wild.

E: key words: Someday, eventually.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/dril/status/757914951868485632

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've ridden four bikes (including my dad's old rear end shadow 750) in my life. A sv650, a r6, and a hell tuned s1000rr.

Don't get an r6. That loving thing made me fear for my life a liter bike will never get across. You know a s1000rr wants to kill you. You know it's going to. You never get lulled into complacency with it on a short ride.

An r6, or any other 600cc "proper" sport bike will pretend to be manageable for a new rider. Until you crack the throttle and your last meal rockets out your rear end in a top hat before it's been digested. The tach climbs *instantly* from "this is really fast but ok" to gently caress-your-mother levels of power.

Just get a sv 650, a cbr500r, or a ninja 500. Save yourself, so that we may live through you

Yyyyyyyup.

I had a 2000 R6 - above 9k RPM it made the Universe move around me. And 15k5 RPM came about a second later, <clutchin flick toe out> a second later, <clutchin flick toe out> a second later...

My favourite R6 story:

August, random Friday, 1:30AM, I couldn't sleep - it was hot and I didn't have A/C. I went for a ride and ended up on my favourite back road. It was one of those rides where the road and the bike and the air and the world just became part of me; I was Valentino loving Rossi, I was dragging my knees in the corners, really moving. Just the right temperature out, asphalt was still radiating heat from the day but the air was cooling off. I'm halfway through a fast left-hand sweeper, really leaning into it, just getting back on the throttle, and I see headlights - really specific headlights. Crown Vic headlights.

They flash by, I see the red / yellow / blue RCMP stripes and I recognize the driver.

gently caress.

It's Kevin. I know Kevin. Kevin knows me. If I recognized Kevin, Kevin probably recognized me.

gently caress.

I see the blue and reds in my mirrors (through the trees / off the hills, not directly), come off the throttle, pull off to the side. Kickstand down, helmet off. Pop the seat, grab my paperwork. No lights yet.

I light a cigarette and smoke the fucker halfway through before I see headlights.

He's surprised that I'm stopped. He engages ABS slowing down to stop behind me. I keep my hands visible in front of me.

Kevin jumps out of the cruiser.

"Matt! You dumb poo poo. Get in the car."

He gestures to the passenger seat of the cruiser and I get in. I am adrenaline and butterflies and fear.

Kevin wants to talk about bikes. He digs the R6 and wants to know how my girlfriend finds the pillion seat (she doesn't - it's uncomfortable and awful to spend time on) and is curious about how the FZ6R compares (it's much better) and generally we shoot the poo poo and laugh for about 10 minutes.

And then he asks if I know how fast I was going.

"No, I really don't," I answer honestly. "I was paying attention to the road and the bike."

He points to 3x 7-segment red LED display on his dash. It's like the eye of loving Sauron in the dark. I will never, ever forget the numbers on it.

One.
Seven.
Six.

176 kilometers per hour.

I think my heart stopped.

"Do you know what the speed limit is on this road, Matt?"

Is this a good time to crack wise?

I decide that I don't care.

"I'm hoping it's around a hundred and fifty..."

He laughs.

It isn't. It's 50 kilometers per hour, and I'm kind of shocked to learn this.

"Fifty? Really?"

It's an industrial park. Except for that one loving corner, there's visibility for days, tonnes of run-off, no trees for kilometers around. It should be, like, at least 80 here. But it isn't.

Kevin hits the reset button on the unit.

"I'm going to write you a ticket for 70 in a 50 zone, and if you contest it I'm going to show up in court."

I nod and thank him.

"And never, ever do this again. This is the road the drunks use to leave town after the bars close. They think we don't patrol it, but we do. This is a really good place to get killed on a motorcycle at 1:30AM."

I thank him again. I take the ticket and put it in my inside pocket.

"So hey, one more question for you," he says. I say sure and ask him what he'd like to know.

"Why'd you stop? You could have been home before I finished turning around."

I still don't know.

What a loving night that was.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

steady posted:

Regarding Bike Chat...

Comedy option:

Sent that link to my stepdad (who, by the way, raced CBRs at Sears Point in the early 90s with the AFM) and he sent this back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3CXBhjNt4
Says they were around in the 60s and 70s.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

I want this one some day in this color. I think this is the best looking bike that has ever been made, and even long before I started getting into bikes I could recognise this one in the wild.

E: key words: Someday, eventually.

I have a lady friend back in Chicago that rides a 749 exactly like that. When she pulls up somewhere (gas station, restaurant) in front of a bunch of guys, she likes to put the bike on the stand, take off her helmet and whip her long blond hair around to free it up. She’s married to another friend of mine, but I’d still like to see this happen in person.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Ughhhhh I was gonna sell my GB500 thumper but now I read this and ughhhhhh

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ausgezeichnet posted:

I have a lady friend back in Chicago that rides a 749 exactly like that. When she pulls up somewhere (gas station, restaurant) in front of a bunch of guys, she likes to put the bike on the stand, take off her helmet and whip her long blond hair around to free it up. She’s married to another friend of mine, but I’d still like to see this happen in person.

If Cindy Crawford in cutoffs driving a red Diablo wasn’t able to convince 14-year-old me that Pepsi was better than Coke, I doubt your lady friend is going to convince me that the 749 / 999 isn’t the absolute nadir of Ducati’s design language*. But very much like Ms Crawford and her Pepsi, I’m sure that I’d be willing to entertain the argument.

* yes, including the first-gen Multistrada :colbert:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

HandlingByJebus posted:

Yyyyyyyup.

I had a 2000 R6 - above 9k RPM it made the Universe move around me. And 15k5 RPM came about a second later, <clutchin flick toe out> a second later, <clutchin flick toe out> a second later...

My favourite R6 story:

:words:

I bought an R6 in 2002, since my buddy bought an R1. He had ridden before and had a ninja of some sort. Mine's been in my parents garage for a while now, buying a nicer car led me to ride less and less.

The best part about an R6 is that it has a better center of gravity than an R1, and just feels more balanced. Stupid thing definitely needed a steering damper though, the headshake on the highway suuuuucks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've had a think, and 14" should definitely buy a Triumph.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InitialDave posted:

I've had a think, and 14" should definitely buy a Triumph.

Well he does have a penchant for hilariously unreliable vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
An odd number of cylinders for an odd man

• Locked thread