Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

evilmiera posted:

Not as far as I can tell from only looking at points and stuff like that. I haven't read the lore bits though if that's what people are saying is stupid.

I mean, I personally don't like the idea of a new codex for a race known for constantly innovating and creating new tech that has no new units and only some new weapons for its commanders after what, 1-200 years?

But as for point values, the only thing that is still really borked is Crisis suits, as mentioned before. There's some confusion as to what is going on with gun drones now being so much more expensive, but I presume it was a response to people spamming them. I haven't heard the consensus on Stealth suits yet, either. But Broadsides, Riptides and troops in general are looking a lot more viable now. I still wish Kroot had any love at all heaped on them but they are still somewhat boring.

I assumed part of the increase in gun drones price was that they now have deep strike.

Im list building at present and wishing I owned more than 10 Fire Warriors. I think its pretty hard not to want to take a lot of them with at least a couple of Fireblades given how cheap they are and how many shots they can throw out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Serotonin posted:

I assumed part of the increase in gun drones price was that they now have deep strike.

Im list building at present and wishing I owned more than 10 Fire Warriors. I think its pretty hard not to want to take a lot of them with at least a couple of Fireblades given how cheap they are and how many shots they can throw out.

I am certainly a lot happier I picked up a job lot of three dozen fire warriors on eBay - though I'm not looking forward to painting them. Generally I'm very happy with the Codex, even if I want to sit down the designers and ask them why, exactly, they thought the Multi-tracker or Aun'Shi was overcosted. Tau were already fun to play, and the sept tenets and unit buffs are just what they needed to be competitive. They're not at Guard/Eldar codex level, but I think it's unhealthy to expect each codex to be as strong as the currently strongest codex.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Flavivirus posted:

I am certainly a lot happier I picked up a job lot of three dozen fire warriors on eBay - though I'm not looking forward to painting them. Generally I'm very happy with the Codex, even if I want to sit down the designers and ask them why, exactly, they thought the Multi-tracker or Aun'Shi was overcosted. Tau were already fun to play, and the sept tenets and unit buffs are just what they needed to be competitive. They're not at Guard/Eldar codex level, but I think it's unhealthy to expect each codex to be as strong as the currently strongest codex.

Prior to the codex dropping I picked up 20 gun drones cheap.

You win some, you lose some

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So when I model my 2 landspeeders I'm planning on doing dual flamers on one and hb assault cannon on the other. Thoughts? I don't really play ever but would like to not screw myself on utility.

I do have a whirlwind so If I ever play I'd probably use them for screen busting and spotting for the hb and trying to whittle down assault squads for flamer. I likely would play them selectively depending on the opponent.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Serotonin posted:

Prior to the codex dropping I picked up 20 gun drones cheap.

You win some, you lose some

Hah, I was in a similar boat. I've ended up converting some of them into Sniper Drones with some spare pulse rifles, to see if they're good brigade filler now that they have those sniper Mortal Wounds.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm a bit concerned about Necron having a CP recycler, considering a lot of their strategems are pretty crazy when used even once.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Flavivirus posted:

Hah, I was in a similar boat. I've ended up converting some of them into Sniper Drones with some spare pulse rifles, to see if they're good brigade filler now that they have those sniper Mortal Wounds.

Oooh that's a great idea

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

I'm a bit concerned about Necron having a CP recycler, considering a lot of their strategems are pretty crazy when used even once.

My friend and I played yesterday with the new leaked rules. My AdMech/Custodes/Knight against his Mephrit Necrons. I ended up barely winning 24-23 victory points, but the new stuff is pretty wild.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Neurolimal posted:

Let's see if I got this right.
The CP recycler stratagem is a Sautekh exclusive. Let's say I want to play Mephrit and drop Immortals in people's faces for extra AP.
Having the Warlord be from Sautekh in a supreme command or patrol detachment, and the rest of the army being Mephrit would work if I felt like mucking about with multiple dynasties in the same army, yes?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
That is correct. I was thinking of running a cryptek or lord with 3 scarab swarms as a Sautekh Outrider detachment.

That said, the warlord trait that grants immunity to moral and a deny the witch roll seems insane in a warrior blob. Like, these options are sweet.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Warriors are leadership 10 aren’t they? I’ve played against their index army a fair amount and never once seen morale be a thing, even with some pretty heavy casualties

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of mixing things, how do stratagems work? Because I take a detachment of AdMech and a detachment of custodes, could I use the stratagems from either force? (obviously they would only effect their respective forces).

My warlord is usually my Tech-Priest.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
While warriors have leadership 10, the best thing you can be doing with them is having blobs of 20. When you have them with crypteks, ghost arks, and overlords nearby, all your opponent will want to do is try to delete one blob a turn. A unit of 20 warriors reduced to 5, and then having them revive 7-9 of them, is a big game. There have been a couple times where the insane bravery strategem has nullified an opponents entire shooting phase.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, as I understand it the magic number is 15 casualties, at which point the remaining five leg it regardless of rerolls, whereas being flat immune to morale lets you get resurrection rolls on the casualties.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Neurolimal posted:

As an aside, I think its a cute detail that Mortarion forgets how to properly use a scythe between 30k and 40k.

Guilliman forgets how to get in a Land Raider.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Being nigh-impossible to get rid of is for me one of the main draws of the army.
Year and a half ago I was in an apocalypse game where my Destroyer lord and orikan tag team tanked Soulfucker's warlord for basically the entire game preventing it from doing anything important, and even survived against a bio-titan. :allears:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Pendent posted:

Warriors are leadership 10 aren’t they? I’ve played against their index army a fair amount and never once seen morale be a thing, even with some pretty heavy casualties

As they said above, and also as a 7th edition Necron player, LD10 lets you down so many times.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Neurolimal posted:

Necrons have expensive troops so it's pretty tough for them to get large starting CP totals and I think they're more dependent on their strategems than most armies, so I don't think it's that big a deal.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah, as I understand it the magic number is 15 casualties, at which point the remaining five leg it regardless of rerolls, whereas being flat immune to morale lets you get resurrection rolls on the casualties.

There's always the Insane Bravery strategem for when you lost 15 warriors in one turn.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

As they said above, and also as a 7th edition Necron player, LD10 lets you down so many times.

I guess the guys I played against just had fairly hot dice in retrospect. I also wasn't killing more than 6-7 a turn at most because I other things to worry about shooting.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Necrons have expensive troops so it's pretty tough for them to get large starting CP totals and I think they're more dependent on their strategems than most armies, so I don't think it's that big a deal.

Yeah, and because Necrons are heavily encouraged/required to not take minimum size squads, getting a lot of CP is super difficult.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Eifert Posting posted:

So when I model my 2 landspeeders I'm planning on doing dual flamers on one and hb assault cannon on the other. Thoughts? I don't really play ever but would like to not screw myself on utility.

I do have a whirlwind so If I ever play I'd probably use them for screen busting and spotting for the hb and trying to whittle down assault squads for flamer. I likely would play them selectively depending on the opponent.

The problem with heavy flamer Landspeeders is they're gonna end up really close to things that can chop/shoot them up very easily. Being able to advance and fire without penalty is cool though. Mine has an assault cannon/hb and I just kite units around, occasionally charge a vehicle to shut it down for a turn, or support my scout bikers.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've had warrior blobs cut down to only a handful of survivors be completely unfazed, and on the other much funnier hand, I once had a warrior blob panic and get pinned from a single unsaved wound from a ranger squad.
The warrior that went down and triggered the pinning test then passed his We'll Be Back roll as it was called back then.
So the fuckers panicked over literally nothing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Back in 6th-7th I was in a tournament one time and I had my opponent deploy deep in his backfield with two large blocks to avoid assault. First turn some Hive Tyrants forced enough wounds for a morale on both blocks and they each rolled an 11 and ran off the table. He was basically just "welp" and the game went downhill for him from there.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 19, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I had lots of fun playing vs. Necrons after the Traitor Legions book using Night Lords Raptors and Heldrakes to run down Necrons suffering a -3 Ld penalty. Good times.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PierreTheMime posted:

Back in 6th-7th I was in a tournament one time and I had my opponent deploy deep in his backfield with two large blocks to avoid assault. First turn some Hive Tyrants forced enough wounds for a morale on both blocks and they each rolled an 11 and ran off the table. He was basically just "welp" and the game went downhill for him from there.

I saw a similar thing except it was Draigo + Paladins. Dude lost like two or three Paladins, they rolled an 11, off the board on turn 1 before they even did anything. Game over almost immediately. You felt for him but also it was extremely funny.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Back in 5th I had a primaris psyker break and run towards the edge of the table.
He was eleven inches away from the edge. I rolled distance and..... Boxcars. I think poo poo like that is super funny.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Fair enough.

Speaking of leadership, how good are Night Lords in 8e? Presumably they're better than most other editions where their morale penalties were a joke, but there does seem to be quite a few leadership boosting effects in each faction.

I've always dug their aesthetic, and like that they're one of the few renegade chapters that aren't 100% chaos.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Neurolimal posted:

Fair enough.

Speaking of leadership, how good are Night Lords in 8e? Presumably they're better than most other editions where their morale penalties were a joke, but there does seem to be quite a few leadership boosting effects in each faction.

I've always dug their aesthetic, and like that they're one of the few renegade chapters that aren't 100% chaos.

They're better by dint of not having most factions in the game be utterly immune to morale.

But there are still too many armies that are completely immune to morale.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What factions are immune to morale?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Dark Angels may as well be. Deathwing absolutely are.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There definitely aren't "too many armies that are utterly immune to morale," and even Ld 10 stuff will feel it if you can drop their Ld by 2-3 points before forcing a test.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

If played properly most if not all of any given Tyranid army, at least initially.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I've played at least one game a week since 8th came out and as far as i can recall I've lost 1 man to morale, i think its safe to say ultramarines are virtually immune to it.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have lost the odd ripper or gaunt that were left out of synapse to grab objectives. But the only times I have actually lost models to moral that was unavoidable are tau drones and inf.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

If you havent lost 2 sentinels to LD yet, you aren't playing the game right

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Made some progress on my first dude in years. Also unfortunately learned that Teal is already used by another legion :( I was doing these guys up as Death Guard.

I need some advice on what to do the fabrics. The tentacles/mutated flesh I was going to do purple or red, and a sickly green/yellow leaking out of the holes in the armor/plasma

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Still building my Freeblade, painting yellow still sucks out loud.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

You're painting over black, which is going to make things more difficult. Try painting a layer of white - or several layers - and then coating the white with yellow ink or yellow paint.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fashionable Jorts posted:

If you havent lost 2 sentinels to LD yet, you aren't playing the game right

How.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I thought you'd modeled a tiny Sombrero on his head. now I'm disappointed.