Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sticklefifer posted:

I know they needed it for a plot device, but having Simmons say that mere minutes after Deke's fear vision AND having Deke just happen to overhear the only time she's ever said it on the show was weak.

They might as well have hung a lampshade on it and had Simmons say "What do you mean, I always say that! It's like my catchphrase!"

It was definitely a bit too much on the nose but I'm sympathetic since it seems like if they had dragged it out and had Deke come to the realization a little more naturally we probably would have seen people complaining about the pacing. And with the short "pods" Agents of Shield works with they might have had to get Deke there quickly and that was the easiest way to really make it clique for him that doesn't have us questioning how he could get there so easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So where is Enoch now? In outer space with the other Fitz?

Yes.

JazzFlight posted:

I think the writers want us all to forget that Enoch and Fitz' body are just chillin' in this timeline because it just gets too weird and paradoxy. Their time-travel stuff is all messed up with paradoxes unless they spell out very specific rules about each timeline existing in parallel dimensions where they don't necessarily wipe each other out. I guess we'll find out for sure at the end of the season if Deke disappears BttF-style or if he stays because his original timeline still exists in an alternate dimension.

It's not a paradox until they succeed at changing something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JazzFlight posted:

I think the writers want us all to forget that Enoch and Fitz' body are just chillin' in this timeline because it just gets too weird and paradoxy. Their time-travel stuff is all messed up with paradoxes unless they spell out very specific rules about each timeline existing in parallel dimensions where they don't necessarily wipe each other out. I guess we'll find out for sure at the end of the season if Deke disappears BttF-style or if he stays because his original timeline still exists in an alternate dimension.

Yeah, I just don't think Agents of Shield is ever going to follow through into the depths of sci-fi reasoning and debate that it opened the door to with the last pod. I'm personally thankful/hopeful of that because its not my thing at all, but I get why others are deep into it now trying to figure out paradoxes and timelines and everything else. I would just be surprised of Shield ever really deep dives into that stuff because its obviously a much lighter show.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

They change the timeline. Fitz dies in the process. A grieving Jemma discovers Frozen Fritz but also learns she can never revive him or the old timeline reverts.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Or they could just change the timeline, have Deke stay and have someone point out that "hey guys this is an impossible paradox oh well that's wacky I guess". It's not like any of this makes sense in the first place. Sense went out the window the moment they started traveling in time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It passed that mark a longer time back when Fitz was screaming that magic was impossible and made no sense and then a demon man opened a portal into hell to stop some ghosts.

Fitz is basically the Agents of SHIELD standin for "hard scifi" reasoning that they let scream when poo poo stops making sense and then they lampshade it and move on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

It passed that mark a longer time back when Fitz was screaming that magic was impossible and made no sense and then a demon man opened a portal into hell to stop some ghosts.

Fitz is basically the Agents of SHIELD standin for "hard scifi" reasoning that they let scream when poo poo stops making sense and then they lampshade it and move on.

"It's opened a portal to what I can only describe as some sort of fear-dimension" is an amazing line, because I can't tell whether it's the writer or the character who no longer gives a poo poo.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"It's opened a portal to what I can only describe as some sort of fear-dimension" is an amazing line, because I can't tell whether it's the writer or the character who no longer gives a poo poo.

Fitz has been going non-stop from crisis to crisis for months now. I could totally understand him giving no shits about describing the science to anyone anymore.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fitz has been bullshitting his explanations for a couple of years now and is just trying to keep everyone else from figuring that out. He doesn't want to be relegated to just the guy who makes robot limbs once Coulson realizes he has as little idea of what's happening as him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wasn't it "Nightmare dimension." Not sure which is worse! Was that something that had been referenced before? Like did I just forget it from the GR season? Or is everyone just that blase about everything at this point that "when the interdimensional alien portal stones blew up it created a portal to a universe that manifests your worst fears as reality" was just another flying ship to them?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pretty much. Aliens, Magic, LMDs, Demons from Hell, Time Travel. At some point you gotta just break down and stop questioning things.

If you really want to think about it (you probably shouldn't) Fitz probably came to some terms of "there are other dimensions and doors can be opened to them during the Ghost Rider stuff to explain "open a gateway to Hell." Or as some basic understanding of all the monolith and Asgardian stuff.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

homullus posted:

Last week we learned that Ruby's powers include lipnosis.

Between her big-rear end lips, and the Busey Teeth, there was a lot of looking at mouths going on in that episode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

as a vessel by the writers to give us "agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s greatest hits" it can be very interesting. So far though its use has been disappointing. A blink-and-you'll-miss it appearance of squidward and lash is meh as hell.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 20, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

double nine posted:

as a vessel by the writers to give us "agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s greatest hits" it can be very interesting. So far though its use has been disappointing. A blink-and-you'll-miss it appearance of squidward and lash is meh as hell.

“Bullets! My only weakness!”

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do we know if they even need lethal bullets? Have they tried other projectiles? Maybe paintguns or nerf guns would work just as well?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Past Fitz was captured by the general so he is probably locked up on that base with Ruby and VonStrucker if they arrived back at the same time they left.

But they have to have arrived back at least six months after they left because Zephyr 1 is parked where Past Fitz left it when he went to the light house after stealing the cryo-sleep pod. But Hunter and the girl who sees the future aren't in the Lighthouse where Past Fitz left them. So who knows.

In conclusion time travel never fully makes sense.

double nine posted:

do we know if they even need lethal bullets? Have they tried other projectiles? Maybe paintguns or nerf guns would work just as well?

They've stabbed a few of the things. The real question is why does anything "kill" a physical manifestation of a fear dimension?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

sunday at work posted:

They've stabbed a few of the things. The real question is why does anything "kill" a physical manifestation of a fear dimension?

Straight out guess - the person "killing" it has to believe that they have killed it.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

Straight out guess - the person "killing" it has to believe that they have killed it.

It's like a portal spitting out perpetual Pennywises. Yikes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

double nine posted:

So far though its use has been disappointing. A blink-and-you'll-miss it appearance of squidward and lash is meh as hell.

I wondered whether they were re-using CGI they'd already paid for and didn't want it to be too obvious.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cocks Cable posted:

They change the timeline. Fitz dies in the process. A grieving Jemma discovers Frozen Fritz but also learns she can never revive him or the old timeline reverts.
The other alternative (and an arc I could actually see this show doing) is that Fitz dies, and they realize they can wake up Fitzsicle, but he doesn't remember any of what they went through post-Framework because he never experienced it, including his own wedding. :smith:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This episode left me with one burning question

How the gently caress did they de-age and then make sane Gary Busey?

Seriously I know it's not him but holy gently caress if anyone was ever destined to play Gary Busey in a biopic..

ED: Holy poo poo that was Gary Busey's son? Holy fuckballs. I never even realized he was Ace from Starship Troopers. But man, talk about basically being his father's son. You could drop him in Predator 2 digitally and I'd probably not question it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 20, 2018

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously I know it's not him but holy gently caress if anyone was ever destined to play Gary Busey in a biopic..

ED: Holy poo poo that was Gary Busey's son? Holy fuckballs. I never even realized he was Ace from Starship Troopers. But man, talk about basically being his father's son. You could drop him in Predator 2 digitally and I'd probably not question it.

I had the same reaction when I first learned that years ago too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Missed the perfect line for him and Mack.

"Everybody needs a friend like me."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Jake Busey's best role was The Frighteners and I won't hear otherwise

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jake Busey is not Gary Busey.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, you can tell them apart but Jake inherited the family teeth and it's hard to see anything else.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Medullah posted:

:hai:

An under-appreciated classic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Medullah posted:

PCU. Also Jon Favreau's best role

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

PCU. Also Jon Favreau's best role

Any movie with Jeffrey Combs is a good watch, even his lovely direct to video stuff.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

:hai:

An under-appreciated classic.

God I loved this flick as a kid. The grim reaper ghost thing looked so cool. I'm a little scared to watch it again because I don't know if the fx and stuff still hold up

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I think it holds up pretty well considering it's 20+ years old at this point. It's like a better version of Ghostbusters-style special effects.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BlackJosh posted:

God I loved this flick as a kid. The grim reaper ghost thing looked so cool. I'm a little scared to watch it again because I don't know if the fx and stuff still hold up

It was in the era where everything CGI was a little too “shiny” but otherwise it looks fine for the time. A fun movie with some nice twists. Probably the highest budget film Jefffrey Combs was ever involved in.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 21, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I watched it recently, holds up real good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PierreTheMime posted:

It was in the era where everything CGI was a little too “shiny” but otherwise it looks fine for the time. A fun movie with some nice twists. Probably be highest budget film Jefffrey Combs was ever involved in.

The scene where Jeffrey Combs gets his head blown up and the ghost head is there instantly is still one of my all time favorite scenes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect it's the other way around.

(Mostly because Creel seems to be a genuinely good guy.)

Creel's only in this because they've got something on him. Otherwise he'd just absorb some concrete and tell them to piss off the hard way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is Creel a "good guy" or is he just not an "evil guy" along the lines of SHIELD's typical Nazi/Apocalyptic/Eugenic/Slavetrading villains?

Its been awhile and I can't really remember.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

Is Creel a "good guy" or is he just not an "evil guy" along the lines of SHIELD's typical Nazi/Apocalyptic/Eugenic/Slavetrading villains?

Its been awhile and I can't really remember.

he's a low level thug leg breaker. In Netflix Marvel he'd probably be as much of a hero as Frank is. On AoS he's more a wild card tweener.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the way I remembered it. He's a "bad guy" but he's not like psychotic or evil or anything. So he's small change to the people SHIELD deals with and I kind of expect that if Hale gets too evil he'll tap out. He's perfectly positioned for the "actually reforms with the Thunderbolts" role.

Well not the "as much of a hero as Punisher" thing. Did Creel do some vigilantism or justice crime spree that I don't remember?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Creel was introduced as an absorption junkie who did jobs in exchange for materials he could morph into, so he’s pretty much a gun-for-hire type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I believe his last appearance was him acting as a bodyguard for Talbot. I don't remember the dialogue but I remember getting the impression that he had reformed or wanted to reform.