Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Finished my GSC, The Saviors, for Adepticon. This might be the first AdeptiCon I don't have to paint in the hotel room.

More piccies here

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-road-to-adepticon-2018-light-at-end.html?m=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

muggins posted:

Finished my GSC, The Saviors, for Adepticon. This might be the first AdeptiCon I don't have to paint in the hotel room.

More piccies here

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-road-to-adepticon-2018-light-at-end.html?m=1

Nice. That turquoise is great. I really love big, bold, colourful armies like this.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone used a painting service? My brother wants to get the Standard Bearer for his Imperial Fists painted super high quality close to this

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goodness posted:

Made some progress on my first dude in years. Also unfortunately learned that Teal is already used by another legion :( I was doing these guys up as Death Guard.

I need some advice on what to do the fabrics. The tentacles/mutated flesh I was going to do purple or red, and a sickly green/yellow leaking out of the holes in the armor/plasma

I really like this scheme. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a bone-style color for the fabric. It's not flashy, but pretty neutral and the rest of the armor/flesh are flashy enough.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

TheChirurgeon posted:

There definitely aren't "too many armies that are utterly immune to morale," and even Ld 10 stuff will feel it if you can drop their Ld by 2-3 points before forcing a test.

I mean I'm exaggerating but there's been a bit of a preponderance of armies that grant every unit the commissar rule thus pretty much negating the main purpose of the Night Lords' special rule. And then there's armies like tyranids where for most practical purposes you ignore the morale phase.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean I'm exaggerating but there's been a bit of a preponderance of armies that grant every unit the commissar rule thus pretty much negating the main purpose of the Night Lords' special rule. And then there's armies like tyranids where for most practical purposes you ignore the morale phase.

I am honestly struggling to think of any army other than Tyranids that is even close to being immune to morale post commisssar nerf. By the commissar rule are you referring to the new deal where they reroll failed tests? I guess there's a bit of that going around but I'm a lot less bothered by a simple reroll than the ASTKNF of yore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought you'd modeled a tiny Sombrero on his head. now I'm disappointed.

Model’s not done yet. :ssh:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

goodness posted:

Made some progress on my first dude in years. Also unfortunately learned that Teal is already used by another legion :( I was doing these guys up as Death Guard.

I need some advice on what to do the fabrics. The tentacles/mutated flesh I was going to do purple or red, and a sickly green/yellow leaking out of the holes in the armor/plasma

Fabrics:
- Purple is the safe option with teal, the colours are very complimentary.
- A bright sickly yellow is your daring option, for if you want to make a statement.
- White works with anything. It'd be a good choice here, especially with a delicate bloodsplatter at the bottom.

Check out my Alpha Legion on the previous page because I've got a very similar colour scheme to the teal going, and note the purple and white fabrics and see if anything appeals to you.

if you like the bluegreen I've got going, by the way, the recipe is Ahriman blue > Collea greenshade > Baharroth blue highlights and then a 50-50 Lahmian Medium/Waywatcher Green shade over the lower 25% of each armour panel.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Finished my first five 40k minis! I've only painted about 10 minis in total before this, so I'm real happy with how they came out. I even put together an awful lightbox to snap a picture.

I magnetized their heads so I can swap the Vanguard's out for the Ranger ones, which look cooler IMO

There are a handful of places I'd like to touch up, as well as apply the decals, but I'm going to move on to finish up the rest of this Start Collecting box first.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Pendent posted:

I am honestly struggling to think of any army other than Tyranids that is even close to being immune to morale post commisssar nerf. By the commissar rule are you referring to the new deal where they reroll failed tests? I guess there's a bit of that going around but I'm a lot less bothered by a simple reroll than the ASTKNF of yore.

By commissar rule I mean the rule where they lose a maximum of one model on a failed morale test. Iyanden and Dark Angels get this.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Multi wound units are more or less immune to morale since its casualties rather than wounds done.

Funny as hell when a night lord chaos lord deals one kill surrounded by banner raptors an you hear "wait its down by how much". Outside of that I find morale barely matters.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
My ally in a team game ran a leadership bomb eldar list which which lead to him making a custodian guard and a grey knight paladin flee through morale, but the list was built to do that sort of thing and it was really a sideshow to him sniping characters for 6 mortal wounds.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I quit playing back in 5th edition and friends have told me 8th got rid of a lot of the sucky things. Things like how badly being immune to morale would turbo gently caress Tyranids with a rusty cactus back in the day.

For those who are blessedly ignorant, if you were 'fearless' and lost a melee fight by number of wounds caused you took even more wounds. To abuse this any half decent melee unit would charge in to a pile of cheapo 'weight of bodies' units, like oh, say Tyranids tend to have, wipe the floor with them, and have one guy who touched a Carnifex or decked out Hive Tyrant or something. All the wounds piled up from dead Termagants or whatever, the big critter 'lost' and then just loving evaporated under a pile of auto-hit, auto-wound armor saves bypassing his defenses.

So I'll take 8th edition's morale with a smile on my face.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Der Waffle Mous posted:

By commissar rule I mean the rule where they lose a maximum of one model on a failed morale test. Iyanden and Dark Angels get this.

They're largely sub-faction specific rules, and you have to choose between that and "free rerolls when shooting" and "free 6+ FNP for your entire army" so I have genuinely never seen Iyanden or any of the others that do that fielded under 8th edition.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Duct Tape posted:

Finished my first five 40k minis! I've only painted about 10 minis in total before this, so I'm real happy with how they came out. I even put together an awful lightbox to snap a picture.

I magnetized their heads so I can swap the Vanguard's out for the Ranger ones, which look cooler IMO

There are a handful of places I'd like to touch up, as well as apply the decals, but I'm going to move on to finish up the rest of this Start Collecting box first.

These are really great for your first time!

bird food bathtub posted:

I quit playing back in 5th edition and friends have told me 8th got rid of a lot of the sucky things. Things like how badly being immune to morale would turbo gently caress Tyranids with a rusty cactus back in the day.

For those who are blessedly ignorant, if you were 'fearless' and lost a melee fight by number of wounds caused you took even more wounds. To abuse this any half decent melee unit would charge in to a pile of cheapo 'weight of bodies' units, like oh, say Tyranids tend to have, wipe the floor with them, and have one guy who touched a Carnifex or decked out Hive Tyrant or something. All the wounds piled up from dead Termagants or whatever, the big critter 'lost' and then just loving evaporated under a pile of auto-hit, auto-wound armor saves bypassing his defenses.

So I'll take 8th edition's morale with a smile on my face.

I did 27 No Retreat wounds to a Hive Tyrant once. Ah, 5th Ed... :allears:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I'd rather go back to when breaking a unit through morale ment you could run them off the board. Felt like you did something before all loyal marines got the boost to ATSKNF an were legit not able to be taken off the board except by killing them one by one. poo poo brought the game to a standstill an god help you if it was two cc loyalist armies against each other.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Back in 4th Edition Tyranid failing morale fell back toward their nearest Synapse creature, which made for some interesting maneuvering.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So where is the Nem'Yar Atoll, in terms of Segmentum, or is it purposefully a :shrug:?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

muggins posted:

More piccies here

Really cool. That teal and green looks really sinister and awesome.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I can't find a certain bit for my Cult Stormsword--on two of my Cult Leman Russes, the pilots have knives. I cannot for the life of me find any more hands holding Genestealer Cult knives, and am about to just kitbash them. For the future and my curiosity, which kit has the knives? It appears to be neither the GSC Upgrade Sprue nor in the Neophyte Hybrid kit. :confused:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I can't find a certain bit for my Cult Stormsword--on two of my Cult Leman Russes, the pilots have knives. I cannot for the life of me find any more hands holding Genestealer Cult knives, and am about to just kitbash them. For the future and my curiosity, which kit has the knives? It appears to be neither the GSC Upgrade Sprue nor in the Neophyte Hybrid kit. :confused:

I see a a knife hand on Acolyte Hybrid sprue, maybe it comes from that?

Otherwise I'm not sure: I don't see many "knife held in hand" parts on the GSC sprues either (which is a little surprising actually), does it look like a genestealer knife or a guard knife?

It could be a Catachan blade (top left)?

:confused:

E: Also, eat hot plasma death xenos scum, &c. &c.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 20, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

PierreTheMime posted:

These are really great for your first time!

Question about magnets. I'm using these 3/32" x 1/16" magnets, and they're great, but $14 for 50 magnets is nuts. Are they available in bulk online? I can't find them anywhere, not even K&J Magnetics.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Neophyte Hybrids do indeed come with one (1) knife.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Booyah- posted:

Really cool. That teal and green looks really sinister and awesome.

Thanks dudes!!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Thanks for the help, all, and especially to Two Beans for showing me I already looted my sprues t:mad:

Finishing this Shadowsword and then it's back to Necrons for me for a while. I plan on grabbing at least one Titcron figure, but I'll be carving off the breasts to make just normal humanoid spider roborg as Szeras, because to hell with Finecast. I have also discovered I do not need the like 4 metal Spyders I have, so those are up for sale/trade if anyone wants them, along with the shitload of metal Eldar and some Orks. herpderpspamcatcher@gmail.com

e: One last thing: what were you guys using to apply water transfer decals? First time I used them was on my Necrons so now they're all slipping off.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 20, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So, fluff question:

I know that Titan Legions have organic infantry (Secutarii) but do they also have other machines (like the rest of the AdMech army list) and/or Knights that march in Legio colors?

It's been a little bit since I re-read Titanicus so I'm not sure on this (and I think it was written during the long period where, like Genestealer Cults, Knights were somewhere between "Semi-cannon" and "Seen but not heard"?)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Had a -2 to LD (dont remember how, I'm guessing psyker powers?) and rolled a 6. Was hilarious.

For_Great_Justice posted:

I'd rather go back to when breaking a unit through morale ment you could run them off the board. Felt like you did something before all loyal marines got the boost to ATSKNF an were legit not able to be taken off the board except by killing them one by one. poo poo brought the game to a standstill an god help you if it was two cc loyalist armies against each other.

Even as far back as 4th a marine was hard to remove en-mass. You could never be swept, you'd just take Fearless extra wounds.

I think over the next few months my friends and I are going to cobble together our own set of rules composed of the best of 3rd-8th editions.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

e: One last thing: what were you guys using to apply water transfer decals? First time I used them was on my Necrons so now they're all slipping off.

Put Micro Set down on the area, apply transfer as usual, then let it dry/dab off excess liquid. Apply Micro Sol, maybe a few coats, then varnish.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't even bother with Micro Sol unless the surface is uneven.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I hope necrons get some lovely novelty dice because I want some.

Seems a bit random which factions have got them.
All the flavours of space marines did (wait, 1k sons didn't did they?) as well as Custodes. Eldar got one set for each aspect.
Guard, AdMech, and Tau on the other hand didn't.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't think Grey knights did.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

Put Micro Set down on the area, apply transfer as usual, then let it dry/dab off excess liquid. Apply Micro Sol, maybe a few coats, then varnish.

I used Micro Set and it ended up leaving a white residue. Is there something I messed up on?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Deified Data posted:

I don't think Grey knights did.
Oh right, Grey Knights. I always forget that they even still exist after 5th. :v:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh right, Grey Knights. I always forget that they even still exist after 5th. :v:

I own over 1200pts of Grey Knights and I forget about them

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

So, fluff question:

I know that Titan Legions have organic infantry (Secutarii) but do they also have other machines (like the rest of the AdMech army list) and/or Knights that march in Legio colors?

It's been a little bit since I re-read Titanicus so I'm not sure on this (and I think it was written during the long period where, like Genestealer Cults, Knights were somewhere between "Semi-cannon" and "Seen but not heard"?)

They don't have their own vehicles/knights. Sometimes knights can be seconded to titan legions, either temporarily or permanently.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Such is the fate of a faction whos claim to fame was "a bad writer-designer really liked them" and "they're very anti-daemon".

I'm trying to think of a point where GK's were noteworthy for a positive reason rather than "lol stiltwalker" "wears SoB heads as helmets" and "if you're chaos dont even bother playing against this army".

I guess they were really good before Smite got nerfed, but I don't consider that a positive because smite spam sounded dumb.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Such is the fate of a faction whos claim to fame was "a bad writer-designer really liked them" and "they're very anti-daemon".

I'm trying to think of a point where GK's were noteworthy for a positive reason rather than "lol stiltwalker" "wears SoB heads as helmets" and "if you're chaos dont even bother playing against this army".

I guess they were really good before Smite got nerfed, but I don't consider that a positive because smite spam sounded dumb.

Way back in the day, they were amusing to troll Tau players with, since Incinerators ignored invulnerable saves along with cover, and were AP4. Denying Firewarriors of any save was a fun time.

People who just spam smite and/or other psyker powers are never interesting opponents regardless of the edition.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

there was that short period in 5th edition where they had surprisingly good shooting within 24 inches and an even better rifleman dread and silly special grenades and weird wargear and purifiers had that dumb power where you rolled a dice for every model in every unit engaged with them and they took a wound on a 4+.

I once killed about 40 orc boyz in one go with that.

and then the 6th edition codex took all of their dumb fun toys, and made the toys they kept worse :smith:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

People who just spam smite and/or other psyker powers are never interesting opponents regardless of the edition.

Pff, no way. Thousand Sons for life. Mind bullets and Daemon Engines and bird boys shooting you with magic crossbows. Sorry about your weakass Psykers. Maybe if you embraced the Architect of Fate, you too could zip around on a magic disc of fire and/or turn into a physical coalescence of the most nightmarish forces of the warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Pretty easy to forget like 5 max spec Terminators and a Draigo tbf