Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It appears that they rolled in the enterprise rollup patch from last year into this months. As they mandated when they moved 08\win7 to a single monthly patch they're going back and eventually adding old patches in

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3128983/microsoft-windows/how-to-prepare-for-the-windows-781-patchocalypse.html

quote:

Microsoft will gradually add older patches to the Monthly Rollup. For now, don’t expect to see a big bunch of patches in the Monthly Rollup, but realize Microsoft is working in that direction.

This is why vmware network cards are breaking for the first time for many.

Also wsus visualized:
https://imgur.com/a/CuRDq

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

:gonk: what the gently caress is that?!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm assuming we get to see the convoluted ways updates superseed each other and/or how they depend on another update being installed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or the updates that they require and/or that break each other.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Merijn posted:

I can only assume it is a Z̹̠͜ͅaĺ͙g̮̺̰̖͎̼o̦̩̝ edit of some org chart.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
A ticket came in . . . to the wrong company.

To give a little background: A few years ago, we sold our centers in State A to another company, but we still provide managed services for those centers.

We get a call from the other company, very confused. It turns out that the center in State B (the same special folk who spent $175 to have someone come out to unplug a power cable) was having fax issues. Did they call us? No. Instead, they sent an email to the other company.

Did I mention that the other company is only in State A and does nothing for the center in State B? We don't understand why they did this.

Merijn posted:

Rorschach test?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just had an issue of incorrectly transferred FSMO roles- PDC emulator and domain naming master were accidentally left on a decommissioned DC. Which is strange, because, while I have the vague recollection of transferring them, my coworker is 100% sure I transferred them correctly. Well, not a big deal, I seized them, everything is fine.
The funny thing is, I was troubleshooting AAD password sync issue (which I now know the root cause for), and then was explaining to him how to use various tools to troubleshoot dirsync issues. At that moment he asks me something about proxyAddresses attribute, and I go to start active directory users and computers, but I misclicked and started Active Directory Domains and Trusts, and it threw out error that PDC emulator is unreachable :v:.

Thank you, fat finger misclick.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
While organizing some stuff in the spares room, I happened upon about 20 of these bad boys

10G 1550nm 40 kilometer optics!!!

I'm about to have a goddamned field day upgrading remote sites to 10G :D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless you’re actually putting them at the end of dark fibre runs you’ll need to attenuate the signal to avoid cooking the Rx side of those.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

All my fiber is dark :D

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyIUzsxt4U

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Farking Bastage posted:

While organizing some stuff in the spares room, I happened upon about 20 of these bad boys

10G 1550nm 40 kilometer optics!!!

I'm about to have a goddamned field day upgrading remote sites to 10G :D

How do you misplace 20 of your high-end hardware?! I get not knowing where all those FE Netgear switches have disappeared to, or where all your DDR2 ram is, but loving 10G Fibre modules?!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SEKCobra posted:

How do you misplace 20 of your high-end hardware?! I get not knowing where all those FE Netgear switches have disappeared to, or where all your DDR2 ram is, but loving 10G Fibre modules?!

A few years back I helped a certain video editing software/hardware company when they moved offices and discovered they had a shitload of high end parts and equipment around that was still very valuable but was not needed/useful for any of the hardware they currently built. In the process of helping them sell that stuff, we figured out they had easily several hundred thousand dollars across all this poo poo that simply hadn't been tracked and was laying around.

Some of it was even stuff from back when the company was founded, but was still quite valuable and interested buyers were easy to find for it. And none of it would have ever come back if they'd not moved out of their old office floor .

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

fishmech posted:

A few years back I helped a certain video editing software/hardware company when they moved offices and discovered they had a shitload of high end parts and equipment around that was still very valuable but was not needed/useful for any of the hardware they currently built. In the process of helping them sell that stuff, we figured out they had easily several hundred thousand dollars across all this poo poo that simply hadn't been tracked and was laying around.

Some of it was even stuff from back when the company was founded, but was still quite valuable and interested buyers were easy to find for it. And none of it would have ever come back if they'd not moved out of their old office floor .

That's interesting because old computer equipment normally decays at about the same rate as bananas.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Methanar posted:

That's interesting because old computer equipment normally decays at about the same rate as bananas.

camera lenses don't, so I'm assuming it was more that kinda stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SEKCobra posted:

camera lenses don't, so I'm assuming it was more that kinda stuff.

There was a lot of that (there was basically enough spare/previously unaccounted for actual film/video camera equipment around to outfit a respectable small time studio). But there were also things like high end RAID controllers that were sold off for nearly $1000 each (and there were a ton of them, apparently they had ordered a bunch with plans to use them in the next server product line but the plans fell through for going into production with that), there was a lot of specialized analog and digital video interfacing hardware since one of the main lines of business there was to handle running TV station stuff and simplify access to archived footage (as well as get old analog archives transferred over to the digital storage in a high quality manner).

Things like all their spare populated motherboards and stuff usually wasn't worth much, except the very latest parts that had been used as prototypes for planned products but not used for their full production, of course.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

The former boss was a bit of a packrat. I've got a stack of 4 port SFP+ and 24G linecards for the K10's taller than me. This is a governmental entity, so that spend it or lose it adage applies.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Time to sell everything on ebay or give it to NPOs

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SEKCobra posted:

We've got at least 10 of each of these doing absolutely nothing. Every once in a while I find them floating around in the wild. We spent a small fortune to procure them, only to find out that we couldn't get them working so we bought different modules.

Oh well?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run an eBay account for the team beer fund

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
We have so much spare crap floating around in our DC we began measuring it not by counting the units, but by weighing boxes.

At one point we like 40lb of SSD and 10lb of 8gb ram sticks. Also a hilarious amount of 10g sfp modules, and at least a few ridiculous copper 3 meter QSFP -> 4 SFP splitter things that you can't even use because it uses so much electricity it gets too hot for whatever its plugged into.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I sold all our extra server poo poo on SA mart or Craigslist. The boss man told me to just get rid of it all, so I did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah getting rid of it ASAP is vital. It depreciates so quickly because the market for second-user enterprise gear is basically really tight companies and people doing home labs, or crazy people who want a NAS and think they need half a rack of PowerVault stuff. If you sit on it even for a year then you're basically getting its weight in scrap.

We have a room full of Xserves :suicide:. A few years ago we could have made OK money by selling them to people who weren't paying enough attention to see Apple giving up on that market, but now they're pretty much worthless unless you manage to find the one person who has built their entire business around having a working Mac OS 10.6 server.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah getting rid of it ASAP is vital. It depreciates so quickly because the market for second-user enterprise gear is basically really tight companies and people doing home labs, or crazy people who want a NAS and think they need half a rack of PowerVault stuff. If you sit on it even for a year then you're basically getting its weight in scrap.

Don't forget companies that run EOL gear for a decade or more.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
A recruiter came in and got promptly unfollowed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Poetry

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
My favourite part is the (3).

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Mine's "Milcloud"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
To be the tiniest bit fair, LinkedIn has the worst file uploader I've ever loving seen and I don't understand how it's so bad.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To be the tiniest bit fair, LinkedIn has the worst file uploader I've ever loving seen and I don't understand how it's so bad.

Maybe is its way of telling you that you really shouldnt be uploading files to linkedin. Out of all places, linkedin?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't believe I'm going to turn down a job offer because the team I'd be working on is full of tech bros. I met them in the interview and I couldn't get the idea out of my head that everyone has drank soylent at some point or another. The entire team is balls deep in bitcoin, they're obsessed with pubg and fortnite, and although they're allowed to watch Twitch at work, all they watch is Dr. Disrespect. I work with a few guys like that right now and it's obnoxious, I can't imagine an entire team of them. Right now I work with a bunch of middle aged republicans and it's pretty great honestly, as long as we don't talk politics.

It's a good company to work for but I think I'll lose my mind within six months on that team.

Also I have to go back to talking to customers and lol gently caress that.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's two bitcoin dudes who play PUBG on my dev team too, but we mostly make fun of them because lol bitcoin. Same at my previous job.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Renegret posted:

I can't believe I'm going to turn down a job offer because the team I'd be working on is full of tech bros. I met them in the interview and I couldn't get the idea out of my head that everyone has drank soylent at some point or another. The entire team is balls deep in bitcoin, they're obsessed with pubg and fortnite, and although they're allowed to watch Twitch at work, all they watch is Dr. Disrespect. I work with a few guys like that right now and it's obnoxious, I can't imagine an entire team of them. Right now I work with a bunch of middle aged republicans and it's pretty great honestly, as long as we don't talk politics.

It's a good company to work for but I think I'll lose my mind within six months on that team.

If the raise is right you can

quote:

Also I have to go back to talking to customers and lol gently caress that.

oh gently caress that

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think I'm going to come back at them and ask for more money. Which will most likely get me a hard no and a blacklist from that recruiting agency since it goes against everything I've told them so far but lol recruiters are scum who cares.

My biggest problem at work right now is that I'm incredibly bored. That's the most first world of all first world problems to have and honestly I got it pretty good for as much as I bitch.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Paper Triangle posted:

Mine's "Milcloud"
Mom I'd Like to Cloud?

Edit: This also works with the Cloud>Butt filter.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Renegret posted:

I think I'm going to come back at them and ask for more money. Which will most likely get me a hard no and a blacklist from that recruiting agency since it goes against everything I've told them so far but lol recruiters are scum who cares.

My biggest problem at work right now is that I'm incredibly bored. That's the most first world of all first world problems to have and honestly I got it pretty good for as much as I bitch.

I feel you man. My current place is super loving boring and i'd be tempted to move to a techbro team just so i'd have someone to make fun of. Right now i'm working from two buildings but "heavily encouraged" to work in the boring as poo poo no fun building. You'd think the building full of under 30's might have more fun but they're uptight as poo poo, whereas the building of people who've all been at the company for 15 years and aren't far off collecting their pension have the best stories and crack open a beer at the end of the day.

On the plus side, boring jobs means you're stable right?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

Maybe is its way of telling you that you really shouldnt be uploading files to linkedin. Out of all places, linkedin?

He’s on LinkedIn, Lemon! He might as well be dead!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dogstile posted:

I feel you man. My current place is super loving boring and i'd be tempted to move to a techbro team just so i'd have someone to make fun of. Right now i'm working from two buildings but "heavily encouraged" to work in the boring as poo poo no fun building. You'd think the building full of under 30's might have more fun but they're uptight as poo poo, whereas the building of people who've all been at the company for 15 years and aren't far off collecting their pension have the best stories and crack open a beer at the end of the day.

On the plus side, boring jobs means you're stable right?

What's kind of telling is that I ended up getting along better with their HR director than the management of that team. She said something along the lines of "yeah that team can be...a bit of a handful at times". As she was walking me out, they were in the back of the office playing rocket league on the office Switch and were making a huge racket, yelling and screaming. My first impression of that was initially positive because, hell yeah video games at work. However, after I thought about it, I'd be loving pissed if they were doing that while I was trying to get work done. I don't work well with lots of outside noise. The job involves phone support, who's answering the phones while everyone's off playing video games?

Most likely, it'll end up being me.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 20, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm trying to re-assure myself that this is the right decision before I call back the recruiter.

Thanks, internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Renegret posted:

I'm trying to re-assure myself that this is the right decision before I call back the recruiter.

Thanks, internet.

Imagine your stupidest customer interaction that you ever had over the phones. Now imagine that person is your co-worker. And there's 3-4 more of them besides the one. That's what you'd be walking in to.