Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

So the throttle has two positions then, that simplifies things.

Yeah, turtle and rabbit.

Because it's a lawn tractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, turtle and rabbit.

Sounds more like turtle and slightly slower turtle.

On that B2200 diesel, have fun shifting out of overdrive to go up slight grades on the highway. That’s my experience with them. Had a friend in high school who’s dad had a B2200 diesel and a Mitsubishi Pup diesel. They were both slow as balls, and remarkably gutless. No turbo will do that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/buick-free-spirit-pace-car/1339241762?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This is rad as gently caress, shame about the extra zero in the price.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Yeah, turtle and rabbit.

I was thinking more "idle" and "loud".

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darchangel posted:

Sounds more like turtle and slightly slower turtle.

On that B2200 diesel, have fun shifting out of overdrive to go up slight grades on the highway. That’s my experience with them. Had a friend in high school who’s dad had a B2200 diesel and a Mitsubishi Pup diesel. They were both slow as balls, and remarkably gutless. No turbo will do that.

Yeah the turbo is not optional on a diesel.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was thinking more "idle" and "loud".

America didn't develop that technology until the late 70s. Those crafty Germans...

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Yeah, turtle and rabbit.

I have a friend who had a Citroën 2CV. It had one of those ribbon-type speedometers, the ends of which he had labeled with little icons of a snail and a turtle.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

A nice NSX and a Froot truck

If I had the cash I could probably make a tidy profit importing that to Europe, pretty cheap for an a NSX compared to the prices here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

He wants 18K for it, but leaves it out in the weather.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Ugh, been trying to sell my '98 Corvette on the D.C. craigslist and just had a buyer back out. If anyone is interested have a look:
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/1998-c5-chevrolet-corvette/6481453245.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Seems like a fair price. I got $13,100 (advertised at $14k) for my 2001 6MT with 67k miles. Though I did have C6 Z06 shocks and C6 wheels. I bet once it warms up you'll have more bites.

Put it on corvetteforum yet? That's where my buyer found me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

opengl128 posted:

Seems like a fair price. I got $13,100 (advertised at $14k) for my 2001 6MT with 67k miles. Though I did have C6 Z06 shocks and C6 wheels. I bet once it warms up you'll have more bites.

No but that's a good idea. I signed up for that in 2004 and have a total of three posts there.

davebo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2018

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

davebo posted:

Ugh, been trying to sell my '98 Corvette on the D.C. craigslist and just had a buyer back out. If anyone is interested have a look:
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/1998-c5-chevrolet-corvette/6481453245.html

I know the C6/C7 have great autos. How is the C5? It's a 4 speed isn't it?

Edit: Yea 4L60-E. Good luck with the sale! I would have jumped on the 6 speed.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 14, 2018

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-mazda-323-gtx/6533089599.html

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Having owned an '87 Familia the best part of 20 years ago I wouldn't touch one with 'new paint'. Who knows what horrors luck underneath.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Having owned 4 GTXs and had rust even in California-only models, stay away. Everything is NLA. Everything.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What about regular 323s of the same year? I see them pop up cheap now and then, but if everything is NLA not gonna bother.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

opengl128 posted:

Welp that was good advice. Guy drove over an hour to buy it this morning. Didn't even want to test drive it, just looked it over, heard me start the engine and wrote me a check.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

davebo posted:

Welp that was good advice. Guy drove over an hour to buy it this morning. Didn't even want to test drive it, just looked it over, heard me start the engine and wrote me a check.

Cash it quick then :sever:. There are much cooler cars you can have now rather than a 15yo Corvette, which was only midly cool when it was new.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What about regular 323s of the same year? I see them pop up cheap now and then, but if everything is NLA not gonna bother.

I own a BF wagon too and really they're not that great. The non-GTX parts are reasonably easy to find, maintenance items aren't really an issue, eBay for the rest if you're not a junkyard hunter. The Proteges are miles better if you aren't getting any fancy GT/GTX. My brother had a 90 Protege that would have been an autocross terror in Hawaii.

If you could get a BG GTX/GTR, that's the ticket. They didn't seem as expensive as I expected, though really I wouldn't dare rally one without pletiful spares and a good JDM Mazda parts contact.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DiggityDoink posted:

Cash it quick then :sever:. There are much cooler cars you can have now rather than a 15yo Corvette, which was only midly cool when it was new.

Well I'm a goon so being cool was never an option, but the c5 was an incredibly fast car for the money, and for the 11k I asked I guess it still is. Reason I sold it was I bought a stinger GT. I don't know if that's cool but it's certainly fast and a good value.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the market for a new DD and this is sorely tempting but I know nothing about trucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Buy it. Basically a Ford Tacoma. Parts are cheap, easy to work on, reliable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That looks incredibly clean

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it looks suspiciously clean, with new tires. I'm hoping it's some old guy who just wants to get rid of it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d buy that in a heartbeat. Flip it if you don’t want it. Price is super low if it checks out.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

slidebite posted:

Buy it. Basically a Ford Tacoma. Parts are cheap, easy to work on, reliable.

I had an 89 Ranger when I was a poor, and I have a 95 Toyota Pickup right now. They are not remotely comparable, Ford Tacoma my rear end. Parts were more, it was harder to work on, less reliable, less comfortable, louder, stank/burned oil, just plain wasn't as cool, and the 4wd was bullshit. That does look like a great deal, but there's a very good reason (long list of em actually) that similar Toyotas are 3-4x that expensive

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I owned 3 tacos (still drive a 2015) and 2 rangers. They are not exactly analogous but is in the sense that they are solid and generally reliable vehicles. The 2.3 is not a powerhouse but it's reliable and better than the V6 they threw in them of that vintage.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the cheap option for comfortably towing a simple trailer with a 3000lb-ish car? Include heading through the Cali grapevine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Rent a uhaul and buy the insurance? Doesn't sound like any of it will be comfortable.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Popete posted:

I'm in the market for a new DD and this is sorely tempting but I know nothing about trucks.

Coin flip it’s fake. Don’t send any money orders to Nigeria.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the cheap option for comfortably towing a simple trailer with a 3000lb-ish car? Include heading through the Cali grapevine.

Enclosed or open? Aluminum or steel trailer? Pick up an old (99+) Chevy/GMC truck or Van (cheaper and hauls more tools and poo poo if you go open trailer) with the 5.3 or 6.0 in it from somewhere without rust. The motor is bullet proof but the early transmissions (4L60) will need a trans cooler. Everything is pretty drat simple to work on and parts are cheap since they made a billion of them. Comedy option: Buick Roadmaster Estate with the LT1.

If you go this route, I have a trans cooler and install kit that I never put on when I planned to tow a race car and never did. :v:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

420 SWAGLORD posted:

I had an 89 Ranger when I was a poor, and I have a 95 Toyota Pickup right now. They are not remotely comparable, Ford Tacoma my rear end. Parts were more, it was harder to work on, less reliable, less comfortable, louder, stank/burned oil, just plain wasn't as cool, and the 4wd was bullshit. That does look like a great deal, but there's a very good reason (long list of em actually) that similar Toyotas are 3-4x that expensive

So it's exactly like if Ford made the Tacoma?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Popete posted:

You didn't link it but right click -> search google for image and see if you find that picture anywhere else. That there is only 1 picture is telling, that the price is so low is another. I think it's fake based on those two things alone but it also doesn't have the google map thing on the right. Miles not listed in the info on the right, no VIN either.

If that picture doesn't come up elsewhere then compare trees and things where you are vs. where that truck is. A lot of time down here in Florida I'll see a picture of some car way the gently caress up north with trees with no leaves or snow even.

Otherwise that truck is a steal for $900 bucks because any not-rusty running car is probably worth $900. That it's a lil' cutie truck with a manual transmission is a bonus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

You didn't link it but right click -> search google for image and see if you find that picture anywhere else. That there is only 1 picture is telling, that the price is so low is another. I think it's fake based on those two things alone but it also doesn't have the google map thing on the right. Miles not listed in the info on the right, no VIN either.

If that picture doesn't come up elsewhere then compare trees and things where you are vs. where that truck is. A lot of time down here in Florida I'll see a picture of some car way the gently caress up north with trees with no leaves or snow even.

Otherwise that truck is a steal for $900 bucks because any not-rusty running car is probably worth $900. That it's a lil' cutie truck with a manual transmission is a bonus.

The only way to contact is by phone, which seems more promising than email. I'm really hoping it's just some old persons truck they wanna get rid of. I'll call and see whats up, if I get any bad vibes I'll probably pass.

Reverse image search pulled up nothing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

It's here, listed for $4800 in North Las Vegas.

The CL ad is definitely fake.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Deteriorata posted:

and there it is. $4800 is closer to what I would expect for a mint-condition 1990 Ranger with a 5 speed. You should see the costs on Broncos from that area holy moly.
Some effort put into it too because they modified that picture to cover the whole plate rather than in this link where just the numbers are blocked out.

Don't forget to flag the ad!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1975-datsun-280z-electric/6479127859.html

25-45 miles isn't super useful, I think I'd need ~100 as a minimum.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

drat, too bad. Thanks for saving me some time though!

I'm still on to the idea of picking up a cheap truck.

KakerMix posted:

Don't forget to flag the ad!

Done.

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Popete posted:

drat, too bad. Thanks for saving me some time though!

I'm still on to the idea of picking up a cheap truck though.

You can get a 95-2000's era ranger in decent shape in a non-rust belt state for around 1500-2k.