Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nerd.

edit: cat doggo tax

2nd edit: doggo is real, grass is not. not my doggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I subscribed to motor trend for a while and found the app perfectly usable?

I find the YouTube site to be loving awful and hate their stupid recommendation system (just let me group channels and watch the content I want rather than what YouTube wants to recommend to me) and with their constantly changing revenue system I can see why people want to move away.

However the region lockout on the motortrend site was poo poo when I had it. 75% of the stuff it had on was listed but would then say ‘not available in your country’ when you clicked on it.

I am working away from home tomorrow so decided to leave home this afternoon and stay in a hotel on the motorway 2/3rds of the way there rather than leave at 4am and hit rush hour traffic.

Of course there was an accident on the entrance to the services where the hotel I booked is at and the police also closed the service road for their access (which is also a legit hotel entrance) so I’ve had to spend 2 1/2 hours waiting to be able to get in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Probably gonna get probated for :filez:, but: I really like the concept of Amiibo, but I hate the price and the fact that all of those little figures would take up valuable shelf space. I'm an adult, and toys are supposed to be "beneath" me.

Whoops.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2832426

Pretty sure there's some $20 USB sort of amiibo device that you can "flash" whatever thing you want to it and use it like the real thing. I hate the idea of them in the first place, so I wouldn't even bother with that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There is, it's called the N2 Elite, and it's a hundred dollars. There is a $20~ish one on Aliexpress, but you have to re-flash it for every different amiibo. The N2 lets you press a button to cycle through them, which could still be a pain when you have 25+ because there's no indicating display to let you know which one you have. The Action Replay one doesn't let you spoof amiibo, it lets you edit the data on the amiibo itself, which is the reason for a lot of the 1-star reviews on Amazon (people are confused as to what it does).

These cards were around $.40 each, so I did still spend $20-30 total on all 50 shown. But, that's the price of, like, 2 of the retail ones, so I'm content with that. This is also an exercise in what you can do with NFC/RFID cards - I learned quite a bit while doing this, and I got to make a new design to share, so it's a win/win for hobby/learning.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tide posted:

The first question asked, from the beginning of time, is 'What will make us money?'. And it's a fair question to ask. Nobody goes into any business as an altruistic endeavor. None of us are going to 'work' for free.

But when it skews to 'What is the greatest value for shareholder value?' instead of the focus being a great or even good product or service is where it loses any steam with me. Having been in the corporate world for far too loving long, when the all knowing board of directors or even your immediate manager thinks that simply cutting OPEX is a means of increasing revenue, rather than investing in people or whatever, you're in trouble. You can downsize your way into bankruptcy, or worse, irrelevancy.

That said, I bet every one of us uses ad block or similar. We've kind of done this to ourselves. But at the same time, every loving pop up and autoplay video deserved it.

It is interesting isn't it how the common sense of "if we operate forever we'll make effectively infinite dollars" has been driven out of the board room.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I don’t know what you all are doing with five figure watches. If I had one I would wear it every second of every day. On my left wrist the way you’re supposed to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, cashing in this savings bond is proving to be difficult. Three banks have told me they limit to $1000 per day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Do you not have an account at a local bank or something? (unless you mean 3 of the same chain of bank?) I assume some place with your accounts wouldn't GAF. Can't say I've ever cashed in a bond, though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just want to go buy all of this guy's Z's. Seems like it's a collector dumping a bunch of cars at once, and they may have enough money to have done things right. Except for that battery relocation on the orange 240z. And the 280z needs a manual transmission.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Man, cashing in this savings bond is proving to be difficult. Three banks have told me they limit to $1000 per day.

When I did it, my bank just let me deposit all of it in my checking account immediately. It was well over $1000.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I don’t know what you all are doing with five figure watches. If I had one I would wear it every second of every day. On my left wrist the way you’re supposed to.

My nice watch (That I haven't worn in 25 years) would be utterly destroyed so fast in just day to day usage. Meanwhile, the Garmin 910XT will probably only be killed in a nuclear strike - And even then I'm not sure it would fail, the sheer abuse it's copped is amazing.

Nice watch stays firmly in it's box, Garmin gets the use

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Do you not have an account at a local bank or something? (unless you mean 3 of the same chain of bank?) I assume some place with your accounts wouldn't GAF. Can't say I've ever cashed in a bond, though.

I've banked exclusively with a credit union for the last 14 years. They do not cash in savings bonds due to some sort of difference in the federal acreddition.

nm posted:

When I did it, my bank just let me deposit all of it in my checking account immediately. It was well over $1000.

As I don't have an account with the banks have tried, that hasn't been an option. So I asked to open an account and Wells Fargo wants to put a 60 day hold on the money to keep me from just cash and running.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Wells Fargo

That might be the problem
As much as I hate Chase, at least they never opened multiple accounts in my name or stole money from fraud victims

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

That might be the problem
As much as I hate Chase, at least they never opened multiple accounts in my name or stole money from fraud victims

Chase has the $1000 per day limit, they were my first stop. I have a few more options to try tomorrow otherwise I have to contact the Treasury Dept about converting the bond to electronic funds.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A) You can log into the treasury department's website and they'll send the funds to your bank like 2 days later.
B) You're gonna have to pay income tax on that $5200

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeredeem.htm

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

A) You can log into the treasury department's website and they'll send the funds to your bank like 2 days later.
B) You're gonna have to pay income tax on that $5200

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeredeem.htm

I knew I'd have to pay taxes. This is a paper bond and would have to be mailed to them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool, sounds like you have it under control - I just know that I found myself on the 'What? You have to pay taxes on this??" end of a few smallish payments like that once and then was surprised at tax-time.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Roadkill: went to MTOD and tried to watch a free episode, got hit with an anti-adblock message. Subsequently unfollowed on facebook and unsubscribed on youtube. Doing my part to send a massive public gently caress-you to the suits who made this stupid decision.

Rhyno posted:

No one wants to fill out the suspicious activity report and CTR for a non-customer. Gonna have to get a traditional bank account and not let them know you intend to hit-and-run with it. Welcome to the world of anti money laundering regulations.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 20, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if opening an account would have changed anything since most of them says $1000 limit per day."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if opening an account would have changed anything since most of them says $1000 limit per day."

So open an account and take money out (or online transfer to your credit union) a little bit each day? Why are you making this such a big deal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

So open an account and take money out (or online transfer to your credit union) a little bit each day? Why are you making this such a big deal?

I don't think that's how it works. They won't cash out part of the bond each day. Wells Fargo were the only ones who made it seem possible but like I said, 60 day hold which didn't even sound legal.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I really want to find the GM engineer who came up with this version of Passlock, and string them up by their nuts/vulva/whatever.

I've had the Passlock light come on a few times while driving, but tonight's the first time I couldn't start the car. Light wasn't on when I parked, when I tried to start it it wouldn't crank. Then I saw the flashing Passlock light. :argh:

10 minute relearn in a friend's driveway got it to start, plus a solid Passlock light, and "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON". Got home, shut it off, restarted it, car's fine now. No SVS message, no lights. :fuckoff:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I really want to find the GM engineer who came up with this version of Passlock, and string them up by their nuts/vulva/whatever.

I've had the Passlock light come on a few times while driving, but tonight's the first time I couldn't start the car. Light wasn't on when I parked, when I tried to start it it wouldn't crank. Then I saw the flashing Passlock light. :argh:

10 minute relearn in a friend's driveway got it to start, plus a solid Passlock light, and "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON". Got home, shut it off, restarted it, car's fine now. No SVS message, no lights. :fuckoff:

Is that the one you need to use an eraser on the key to fix?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nope. This is some weird pull down circuit within the ignition switch itself.

e: more info here

e2: the tl;dr is one wire is 12V in accessory, 5V in run, 5V through a resistor when in "start". A common fix is to just cut one of the wires and dealing with the permanent passlock light, but there's rumors of this eventually damaging the BCM somehow (you also have to do a 30 minute relearn process anytime the battery is disconnected). Same if you cut the wire, add a resistor, and splice it into another wire (no passlock light or relearn after a dead battery that way, but still the potential to gently caress up the BCM).

I'll just replace the ignition switch (...again), it's not that big of a deal to get to aside from needing a few Torx bits and a 30 minute relearn afterwards.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 20, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Well, that was quick.

quote:

TEMPE, Ariz./SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An Uber self-driving car hit and killed a woman crossing the street in Arizona, police said on Monday, marking the first fatality involving an autonomous vehicle and a potential blow to the technology expected to transform transportation.

Always frustrating when exactly the thing that everyone with a brain has been warning them would happen inevitably happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, that was quick.

Always frustrating when exactly the thing that everyone with a brain has been warning them would happen inevitably happens.

The article I saw basically said "we knew this would happen oh well."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The article I saw basically said "we knew this would happen oh well."

The hot take on Facebook seems to be 'who cares, it was just a homeless woman, bitch should have stayed in the crosswalk'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

The hot take on Facebook seems to be 'who cares, it was just a homeless woman, bitch should have stayed in the crosswalk'.

God bless America.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Uber is uber and uber is always the worst

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Rhyno posted:

Wells Fargo

RUN! THROW SOME HOLY WATER AT THEM AND RUN!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, that was quick.

They'll find some way to not blame the car. Exactly liek Waymo keeps saying their cars dont cause accidents.... while they contine to be rear ended because they dont do the creative rule breaking humans do to keep moving.

Uber are a special level of stupid tho. How about the problems they have with bike lanes? Or pedestrians? Or any other issues with rain, snow, dirt etc?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It infuriates me because it's one of the most basic problems any human driver has to deal with.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm impressed it took this long to be honest.

Also I'm still lolling that the majority of people did a survey and said they'd only buy a self-driving car if in the event of an unavoidable crash it protected the occupants over random pedestrians.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, got part of my VA disability poo poo taken care of. Apparently between hearing issues and being broke brained thanks to them, I'm at 40%. That's not even touching the physical poo poo (knees, back, etc). So an extra $666 (:v:) a month for now, I can live with that.

Hopefully the physical poo poo gives me at least another 30%.

Now the hard part...using that cash to go in savings and to debt instead of buying a car. I think current plan is pay off some debt, get my credit back up, hopefully get into a house by June or July, and then by Jan of next year I can have myself a decent car for the first time in awhile.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There is, it's called the N2 Elite, and it's a hundred dollars. There is a $20~ish one on Aliexpress, but you have to re-flash it for every different amiibo. The N2 lets you press a button to cycle through them, which could still be a pain when you have 25+ because there's no indicating display to let you know which one you have. The Action Replay one doesn't let you spoof amiibo, it lets you edit the data on the amiibo itself, which is the reason for a lot of the 1-star reviews on Amazon (people are confused as to what it does).

These cards were around $.40 each, so I did still spend $20-30 total on all 50 shown. But, that's the price of, like, 2 of the retail ones, so I'm content with that. This is also an exercise in what you can do with NFC/RFID cards - I learned quite a bit while doing this, and I got to make a new design to share, so it's a win/win for hobby/learning.

Did the same as you. Bought a boatload of the smaller cards off Aliexpress or alibaba or one of the ali-whatever-sites - 50 of them for around $20 shipped. Wrecked a couple figuring them out, and now I have lots of amiibo's for my switch games. As do my friends. Think I need another batch soon, and I want to find printable labels that fit so I don't just have lovely-sharpie-writing on them.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

It infuriates me because it's one of the most basic problems any human driver has to deal with.

From the article posted.

quote:

The San Francisco Chronicle late Monday reported that Tempe Police Chief Sylvia Moir said that from viewing videos taken from the vehicle “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway." 

I'm very on the fence about driverless tech, but reasonably you have to admit that there are situations where accidents can happen, regardless of whether the driver is a piece of software or sentient meatbag.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

I don't think that's how it works. They won't cash out part of the bond each day. Wells Fargo were the only ones who made it seem possible but like I said, 60 day hold which didn't even sound legal.

I think everyone is saying:

Open account
Deposit bond
Take out $1k
Take out $1k
Close account

You might have to open it with $50 or something as sometimes they want some kind of 'seed' for the account.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots posted:

From the article posted.

I'm very on the fence about driverless tech, but reasonably you have to admit that there are situations where accidents can happen, regardless of whether the driver is a piece of software or sentient meatbag.

username post combo win.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like to think Rhyno is not an idiot despite living in Indiana

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I like to think Rhyno is not an idiot despite living in Indiana

:colbert:

I've met some legitimately fine people in Indiana. You can't win 'em all, though.

• Locked thread