Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I really like the selection of Coyote mechs we saw, too. Those new Savage Wolves are quite nice, and I do love a good slathering of ATMs everywhere, they're so flexible that they always come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Not a player so not an official vote, but I say the Dr. dies. :colbert:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It'll make things a little easier next mission... and it'll probably be another hard one.
(Pity about the one that escaped with 4 CT structure.)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 19, 2018

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
"Hard mode" makes me appreciate just how much DI's pushing that Turkina into oblivion made this mission workable. Its easy to see (and indicitive of good design) how the player's only chance to survive would have been calling down the legion. I mean, we didnt see it, but that thing looks like more of a boss fight mech than the nergal.

Was there a clan reinforcement scenario, or was what happened always going to happen?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
This mission was down to the wire, drat. Good work, everyone.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Centurium posted:

Was there a clan reinforcement scenario, or was what happened always going to happen?

If the dead Commander had actually survived, they probably would have been told to escape the battlefield so they could take command of everything, but there was no real chance of reinforcement simply because there's nothing to reinforce them with.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've been debating what to say. I'm essentially out of the fight because of the lack of armor on my Dragoon II that is a commander, and we are making an educated guess that The Society is going after commanders.

At this point I am leaning "Take the win" but I am undecided on whether the Society commander should escape. Logic tells me that we have faster units and if they try to escape they would get chased down by our lights and even my 4/6 Dragoon II.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This campaign was always going to be the Society's intro. Of the four, this is the one I most wanted to happen. The Coyotes were always going to be pretty well screwed but you kept some of them alive which will have implications.

The Clan missions would've been second Crusade in Advanced Clantech pushing the Steel Vipers back to Skye while the Wolves clowned on the Widowmakers, and would've let the players kill Natasha Kerensky on camera.

Luthien was a chance to decide how the FS/DC merger/alliance would play out. Isoroku Kurita was the best choice for a stable alliance. Theodore Kurita was the boring status quo Frenemies choice. Chandrasekhar Kurita would've done wonders for the economy before getting assassinated and forcing the DC into a pseudo-protectorate status. Marcus Kurita would've been handing the Draconis Combine over to the Clans (post-timeskip the Draconis Combine would've been Hanse Davion's worst case scenario from the Canon timeline: pretty much just Benjamin left).

Andurien was lost before the players would've gotten a chance to play it with the Snow Ravens deciding "enough is enough" and nuking the Catherine Humphries Castle Brian Amaris from orbit while the majority of the RWA was refitting their Dragoons for the big victory push. It was pretty much going to end in a "fight as hard as we can to earn the right to withdraw" situation.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If that's how Andurien actually goes down behind the scenes, that's still kind of a win. It's like making Superman kill you. You're dead, but you made him violate his code, and he still has to live with that. Uncle Stevie probably would have taken that trade. :patriot:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hmm, the Vipers get run out of the Homeworlds and take refuge with their allies in the Inner Sphere?

(checks next item off list)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They already did (they're getting pushed out of their OZ)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Luthien was a chance to decide how the FS/DC merger/alliance would play out. Isoroku Kurita was the best choice for a stable alliance. Theodore Kurita was the boring status quo Frenemies choice. Chandrasekhar Kurita would've done wonders for the economy before getting assassinated and forcing the DC into a pseudo-protectorate status. Marcus Kurita would've been handing the Draconis Combine over to the Clans (post-timeskip the Draconis Combine would've been Hanse Davion's worst case scenario from the Canon timeline: pretty much just Benjamin left).

What about if we picked Akira? Anyway, looks like we made the best choice there. Marcus is a butt.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

What about if we picked Akira?

Mostly like Isoroku except there would have been no peaceful "solution" to the Hell's Horses (a man cannot live under the same heavens that shelter his father's killers). The Hell's Horses keep one of the background factions relatively in check since they have an enemy to "monitor" which would've lead to a dramatically less stable Draconis Combine.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
We did pick Isoruku, iirc?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

They already did (they're getting pushed out of their OZ)

Oh poo poo

(checks another item off list)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I really can't wait to see what the next scenario looks like. Maximum bullshit tech v tech is just about my most favorite way to battletech.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Someone's trying to figure out how they can make ArKhan Caesar work eh?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Artificer posted:

We did pick Isoruku, iirc?

Yeah, we did. Seems like we really did make the right choice there.

Anyway, is the mission officially over and should we be voting for MVPs?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think PTN will first give us the y'know, denouement. Then he'll call for the vote.

So, just to clarify, I vote that we take the win. Speaking fairly, I don't think we could have done enough damage to kill the Osteon before it fled unless we got very lucky. So, let her go.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

I think PTN will first give us the y'know, denouement. Then he'll call for the vote.

So, just to clarify, I vote that we take the win. Speaking fairly, I don't think we could have done enough damage to kill the Osteon before it fled unless we got very lucky. So, let her go.
I'm going to go ahead and agree with this considering there has not been much invested discussion either way and this is sensible enough.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It would've needed 2 rounds to escape, minimum (might've been some blocking for a third round), but then again it did have that special armor. I guess it'd come to down to crits, mostly from the rear.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 20, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Like I said, luck. And with the luck we're having...

I think this last round was the first time I've had in which I've hit more than I missed. I might have been able to scoot in behind her, but that'd encourage her to shoot through the lights (who are pretty beat up), and make a run for it anyway.

Rather than getting shirts that say "I Roll Twenties", I think we all need to invest in shirts that say "Help, Help, My Dice Are Trying to Kill Me".

Doesn't roll off the tongue, I know, but...

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RA Rx posted:

It would've needed 2 rounds to escape, minimum (might've been some blocking), but then again it did have that special armor. I guess it'd come to down to crits, mostly from the rear.

Yeah, the Osteon has armor that reduces incoming damage 20% as well as reinforced structure that takes twice the damage. Its hard as heck to take down. Not sure there is enough firepower in range to bring it down in two turns.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I would'a rolled double headshots if i'd just gotten one more turn at it, I swear!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

If that's how Andurien actually goes down behind the scenes, that's still kind of a win. It's like making Superman kill you. You're dead, but you made him violate his code, and he still has to live with that. Uncle Stevie probably would have taken that trade. :patriot:

:rip: Uncle Stevie. Mission Accomplished. Forced the clanners to not only lose, but shame themselves in their loss.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

This campaign was always going to be the Society's intro. Of the four, this is the one I most wanted to happen. The Coyotes were always going to be pretty well screwed but you kept some of them alive which will have implications.

Just noticed this...

Y'know, it's not like we meant to leave them alive. I don't know how we could've killed them faster, seeing as we were pretty much outnumbered... and now that I've been in the Savage Wolf, those things are pretty brutal, with their armour and everything. We could've still won though, if it hadn't been for the Society.

I would've liked to play the Clan mission, though killing Natasha... for the longest time, I hated that Joanna killed her, but it was going to happen eventually, and it might as well have been her.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

painedforever posted:

Just noticed this...

Y'know, it's not like we meant to leave them alive. I don't know how we could've killed them faster, seeing as we were pretty much outnumbered... and now that I've been in the Savage Wolf, those things are pretty brutal, with their armour and everything. We could've still won though, if it hadn't been for the Society.

Just so y'know, he's not attacking or criticising anybody

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Me, or PTN?

No, I mean, I get that he had various storylines planned depending on what we did. I'm just wondering if he was really expecting us to be able to stomp through the Coyotes before the Society showed up... or if he was expecting us to trigger the Society, and then the Coyotes would've been creamed fighting off the Society 'Mechs in the North and East, while we dealt with the ones down South.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Either way. Sometimes the dice go so lopsided that the best balanced force just instantly falls over thanks to headshots, failing a consciousness check that needs a 3 with a two, and so on. If two or three Mechs go down to stuff like that early, it just snowballs from there since you can gang up on the ones remaining.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Did I expect the players to defeat the Coyotes before the Society showed up? No. You could've, though, if you'd killed every Coyote except the Dire Wolf. The Coyote and Wolverine forces were fairly evenly matched, so that would've been a good fight. If it'd played out that way, the Society's intro would've been a cliffhanger rather than an actual battle.

But I also knew I was giving the players a tool to eliminate nearly any single Coyote 'Mech quickly (in the form of the Gurkha) with a little luck, so I tied my contingency to the Dire Wolf eating poo poo since I saw that as a reasonably likely outcome. The intention was always for players that got eliminated to take over surviving Coyote 'Mechs if that happened.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I always like reading these posts about scenario planning. This is some good GM planning right here.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
New player who is interested although a little intimidated by 2039 pages of post. tonybmccormick@yahoo.com for email.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Andurien was lost before the players would've gotten a chance to play it with the Snow Ravens deciding "enough is enough" and nuking the Catherine Humphries Castle Brian Amaris from orbit while the majority of the RWA was refitting their Dragoons for the big victory push. It was pretty much going to end in a "fight as hard as we can to earn the right to withdraw" situation.

Out of interest, was this pretty much a foregone conclusion and whether or not we played the RWA missions just changed the details? Could the RWA have won normally?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you'd played the campaign missions, no. If we'd played any of the RWA line troop missions yeah.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I hope the Demon Hawks are okay. :ohdear:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
PTN has repeatedly stated that the Hawks will not die off camera.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright team, unless someone says otherwise, I am not going to be submitting orders tonight because I am assuming that we won.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think we're done, dude. Parry's dead, Lesch is unconscious, and Defiance is half-dead. You're all shot up to hell. And chktshadeclaw won't reach the front lines until after the time-skip.

Did we do well, I wonder? I had a ton of fun. This was my first BattleTech game, and I loved every second of it, including being shot in the head. Getting to possess the soul of a Clanner as Marduk's angry ghost was just icing on the cake. But I have no idea if we played well or not.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

I think we're done, dude. Parry's dead, Lesch is unconscious, and Defiance is half-dead. You're all shot up to hell. And chktshadeclaw won't reach the front lines until after the time-skip.

Did we do well, I wonder? I had a ton of fun. This was my first BattleTech game, and I loved every second of it, including being shot in the head. Getting to possess the soul of a Clanner as Marduk's angry ghost was just icing on the cake. But I have no idea if we played well or not.
I personally could have played better. I feel like we as a team could have played better with regards to coordination and planning, but I didnt want to come across as -or be- a micromangey dick so I tried to offer suggestions while shying away from making declarative statements about what people should do. In a situation like this where we do not have a clear or defined leader to give us direction I think we did well. But I also feel like Defiance Industry's Light Mech Bullshit carried us farther than :battletech: luck could have taken us otherwise. That ringout on the Turkina was so incredibly :vince:. Imagine if this Osteon had a buddy firing 25% more missiles at us, too...

I had a ton of fun and look forward to hopefully doing it again one day. After seeing what Defiance did I am inclined to hope for getting a pair of lights next time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

You did good. The Society aren't necessarily great at actual combat but defeating them (and forcing a concede out of me when you were effectively fighting something like four times your BV of enemy units) is really, really good.

• Locked thread