Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh transphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

I would probably read a version of RPO where the protagonist developed a progressively greater hatred for popculture as he was forced to reenact incoherent fragments from the memory of a senile rich rear end in a top hat.

It’s amazing how there are so many different ways to turn this into an interesting story and we got the lame escapist fantasy of a sadbrained Ohioan instead

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shark Sandwich posted:

It’s amazing how there are so many different ways to turn this into an interesting story and we got the lame escapist fantasy of a sadbrained Ohioan instead

Even keeping the rest of the story exactly the same, a better writer could have extended the action sequences like the Tomb of Horrors to actually show Wade cautiously making his way past all the traps and narrowly avoiding being killed. Or even have him get killed by the bullshit traps (maybe more than once) to follow up on his plan to just keep trying as a Level 1 avatar until he brute forced his way through it.

And then instead of just playing an arcade game, he actually gets his avatar transported to a huge 3D version of the Joust game board and has to fight Acererak for real, including the stomach-churning change when he reaches the "end of the screen" and wraps back around to the other side.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I'm on the run from a massive corporation with unlimited resources who blew up my home, my only family, and several other hundred people. I'm taking extra steps to make sure they still think I'm dead. But also I'm going to hang out in front of massive crowds of people flaunting my name everywhere.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Even keeping the rest of the story exactly the same, a better writer could have extended the action sequences like the Tomb of Horrors to actually show Wade cautiously making his way past all the traps and narrowly avoiding being killed. Or even have him get killed by the bullshit traps (maybe more than once) to follow up on his plan to just keep trying as a Level 1 avatar until he brute forced his way through it.

And then instead of just playing an arcade game, he actually gets his avatar transported to a huge 3D version of the Joust game board and has to fight Acererak for real, including the stomach-churning change when he reaches the "end of the screen" and wraps back around to the other side.

Yeah that’s the other thing. It’s not the constant references so much as they’re handled and a hamfisted and totally boring way. There’s no humor or really anything. It’s just a list of things Cline liked when he was kid mashed up with a lovely xerox of snow crash.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

I would probably read a version of RPO where the protagonist developed a progressively greater hatred for popculture as he was forced to reenact incoherent fragments from the memory of a senile rich rear end in a top hat.

The idea I had to save it was to go full cyberpunk and replace the visors with actual headjacks and direct brain-computer interface, streamline the whole "To find the keys you must become the ultimate 80s nerd" stuff, then make the "prize" Halliday's uploaded consciousness, ready to overwrite whatever goober was best able to mold themselves to fit his obsessions. For bonus points, make him look like the Master Control Program. From there we can have a horror on the dangers of getting lost in nostalgic cultural consumption, and/or a lesson about the need for friends and making something unique of oneself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was about to agree that the narrative would be better if, at the very least, Wade didn't care much about the 80's and just treated it like a job.

The problem is that the book is written so poorly that if Wade didn't explicitly tell us a few times that he loves the 80's, it might as well have been just a job. And it still sucks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

This is how I'm hoping Spielberg does it.

Or even better, changes how the contest works. Or at least how to get the keys and open the gates. Can you imagine? A re-enactment of War Games in a simulation inside a simulation that's part of a movie? There's no way Spielberg keeps any of that.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I imagine when your singular hobby/interest/way of life/job consists of mindlessly consuming media so you can later regurgitate it word for word you'd probably develop the skill to absorb it easier. So Wade probably enters a semi-comatose state when hes re-watching the Snorks in its entirety for the 18th time that allows him to stay up for 56 hours at a time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

This is how I'm hoping Spielberg does it.

Or even better, changes how the contest works. Or at least how to get the keys and open the gates. Can you imagine? A re-enactment of War Games in a simulation inside a simulation that's part of a movie? There's no way Spielberg keeps any of that.

Spielberg apparently changed every single challenge. According to early reviews, one of them is finding out that Halliday went on a date once with a girl to see The Shining and having to find a copy of her in the Overlook Hotel, including dealing with elevator blood flooding it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

tomb of horrors is uniquely suited to that as far as D&D modules go, because high numbers basically don't help you

rogue was a 1980s game so making it randomize each time would be an era-appropriate detail as well

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I'm on the run from a massive corporation with unlimited resources who blew up my home, my only family, and several other hundred people. I'm taking extra steps to make sure they still think I'm dead. But also I'm going to hang out in front of massive crowds of people flaunting my name everywhere.

Look, you've got to take some risks if you're ever going to have the chance to touch a virtual titty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm gonna throw out one more update today because I may not be able to get to a computer tomorrow. We also get some of the most embarrassing stuff in this chapter.

Oh, I forgot to mention one plot point that's actually not too important but resolves one question you probably had: school was closed for a day to hastily copy everything to a new planet, Ludus II, leaving the original Ludus for Sixers and gunters to fight over.

quote:

It was a Friday night, and I was spending another solitary evening doing research, working my way through every episode of Whiz Kids, an early-’80s TV show about a teenage hacker who uses his computer skills to solve mysteries. I’d just finished watching the episode “Deadly Access” (a crossover with Simon & Simon) when an e-mail arrived in my inbox. It was from Ogden Morrow. The subject line read “We Can Dance If We Want To.”

There was no text in the body of the e-mail. Just a file attachment—an invitation to one of the most exclusive gatherings in the OASIS: Ogden Morrow’s birthday party. In the real world, Morrow almost never made public appearances, and in the OASIS, he came out of hiding only once a year, to host this event.

The invitation featured a photo of Morrow’s world-famous avatar, the Great and Powerful Og. The gray-bearded wizard was hunched over an elaborate DJ mixing board, one headphone pressed to his ear, biting his lower lip in auditory ecstasy as his fingers scratched ancient vinyl on a set of silver turntables. His record crate bore a DON’T PANIC sticker and an anti-Sixer logo—a yellow number six with a red circle-and-slash over it. The text at the bottom read

Ogden Morrow’s ’80s Dance Party
in celebration of his 73rd birthday!
Tonight—10pm OST at the Distracted Globe
ADMIT ONE

Wade emails Art3mis and confirms that she got an invitation as well. He figures the other members of the High Five probably got invited too, but Aech competes in a globally televised PvP match every Friday night and Daito and Shoto never enter PvP zones unless absolutely necessary.

quote:

I spent over an hour tweaking my avatar’s hair and trying on different skins to wear to the club. I finally settled on some classic ’80s-era attire: a light gray suit, exactly like the one Peter Weller wore in Buckaroo Banzai, complete with a red bow tie, along with a pair of vintage white Adidas high-tops. I also loaded my inventory with my best suit of body armor and a large amount of weaponry. One of the reasons the Globe was such a hip, exclusive club was because it was located in a PvP zone, one where both magic and technology functioned. So it was extremely dangerous to go there. Especially for a famous gunter like me.

Just remember that for this whole scene, Wade is dressed like loving Buckaroo Banzai.

Neonoir is a stereotypical dystopian cyberpunk planet, permanently night with streams of flying cars traveling between towering skyscrapers as gangs of leather-clad cyborg NPCs roam the streets. The Distracted Globe is a massive cobalt blue sphere 3 kilometers in diameter, floating 30 feet off the ground with a crystal staircase up to the entrance.

quote:

I made a big entrance when I arrived in my flying DeLorean, which I’d obtained by completing a Back to the Future quest on the planet Zemeckis. The DeLorean came outfitted with a (nonfunctioning) flux capacitor, but I’d made several additions to its equipment and appearance. First, I’d installed an artificially intelligent onboard computer named KITT (purchased in an online auction) into the dashboard, along with a matching red Knight Rider scanner just above the DeLorean’s grill. Then I’d outfitted the car with an oscillation overthruster, a device that allowed it to travel through solid matter. Finally, to complete my ’80s super-vehicle theme, I’d slapped a Ghostbusters logo on each of the DeLorean’s gull-wing doors, then added personalized plates that read ECTO-88.

I’d had it only a few weeks now, but my time-traveling, Ghost Busting, Knight Riding, matter-penetrating DeLorean had already become my avatar’s trademark.

I knew that leaving my sweet ride parked in a PvP zone was an open invitation for some moron to try to boost it. The DeLorean had several antitheft systems installed, and the ignition system was booby-trapped Max Rockatansky–style so that if any other avatar tried to start the car, the plutonium chamber would detonate in a small thermonuclear explosion. But keeping my car safe wouldn’t be a problem here on Neonoir. As soon as I climbed out of the DeLorean I cast a Shrink spell on it, instantly reducing it to the size of a Matchbox car. Then I put the DeLorean in my pocket. Magic zones had their advantages.

Setting aside the comically embarrassing ride, you may ask yourself "Will the DeLorean's ability to fly through solid matter ever appear in the story?" The answer is no. In fact, the car doesn't do a single thing from this point forward! Once it enters Wade's pocket here, we never see it again.

Wade passes through a crowd of thousands of death threats, autograph requests, and screaming declarations of love up the crystal steps to the door. Gravity on the inside of the club adhered him to the inner surface of the sphere, with the empty space in the middle serving as a zero-g dance floor that anyone could simply jump up into. Hundreds of avatars are already flying and twirling around the "dance floor" above him.

quote:

In the middle of all the dancers, a large clear bubble was suspended in space, at the absolute center of the club. This was the “booth” where theDJ stood, surrounded by turntables, mixers, decks, and dials. At the center of all that gear was the opening DJ, R2-D2, hard at work, using his various robotic arms to work the turntables. I recognized the tune he was playing: the ’88 remix of New Order’s “Blue Monday,” with a lot of Star Wars droid sound samples mixed in.

As I made my way to the nearest bar, the avatars I passed all stopped to stare and point in my direction. I didn’t pay them much notice, because I was busy scanning the club for Art3mis.

When I reached the bar, I ordered a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster from the female Klingon bartender and downed half of it. Then I grinned as R2 cued up another classic ’80s tune. “ ‘Union of the Snake,’ ” I recited, mostly out of habit. “Duran Duran. Nineteen eighty-three.”

“Not bad, ace,” said a familiar voice, speaking just loud enough to be heard over the music. I turned to see Art3mis standing behind me. She was wearing evening attire: a gunmetal blue dress that looked like it was spray-painted on. Her avatar’s dark hair was styled in a pageboy cut, perfectly framing her gorgeous face. She looked devastating.

She shouted at the barkeep. “Glenmorangie. On the rocks.”

I smiled to myself. Connor MacLeod’s favorite drink. Man, did I love this girl.

It would be a lot more badass if these drinks were actually real, because I'm pretty sure a 19-year-old nerd would spew out her nose the first time she tried to knock back scotch.

R2-D2 suddenly beams out like a Star Trek transported, to be replaced by Ogden Morrow wearing his usual outfit: baggy jeans, sandals, and a faded Star Trek: The Next Generation shirt. The freshly 73-year-old avatar cues up a dance remix of "Rebel Yell", which Art3mis loves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXo5dsAHOpo

I'm gonna pretend it's this version, because this book sucks.

Art3mis and Parzival take to the skies, with Og remixing the song on the fly and spinning the globe around them like a vinyl record. Art3mis decides to show off by transforming her legs into a mermaid tail.

quote:

When I reached her, she took my hand. As she did, her mermaid tail vanished and her legs reappeared, whirling and scissoring to the beat.

Not trusting my instincts any further, I loaded up a piece of high-end avatar dance software called Travoltra, which I’d downloaded and tested earlier that evening. The program took control of Parzival’s movements, synching them up with the music, and all four of my limbs were transformed into undulating cosine waves. Just like that, I became a dancing fool.

Art3mis’s eyes lit up in surprise and delight, and she began to mirror my movements, the two of us orbiting each other like accelerated electrons. Then Art3mis began shape-shifting.

Her avatar lost its human form and dissolved into a pulsing amorphous blob that changed its size and color in synch with the music. I selected the mirror partner option on my dance software and began to do the same. My avatar’s limbs and torso began to flow and spin like taffy, encircling Art3mis, while strange color patterns flowed and shifted across my skin. I looked like Plastic Man, if he were tripping out of his mind on LSD. Then everyone else on the dance floor also began to shape-shift, melting into prismatic blobs of light. Soon, the center of the club looked like some otherworldly lava lamp.

This is another scene that would be a lot better in a better book, or a movie. At the very least, tell us what it's like for Wade to be experiencing this weird body morphing, or his emotions as his body melds into her own. Instead of some kind of beautiful bonding moment, we learn that it looks like a lava lamp.

The dance ends as "Time After Time" begins playing, leading them to turn back into humans and slow dance.

quote:

And then, before I could stop myself, the words just came out.

“I’m in love with you, Arty.”

She didn’t respond at first. She just looked at me in shock as our avatars continued to drift in orbit around each other, moving on autopilot. Then she switched to a private voice channel, so no one could eavesdrop on our conversation.

“You aren’t in love with me, Z,” she said.

“You don’t even know me.”

“Yes I do,” I insisted. “I know you better than I’ve ever known anyone in my entire life.”

“You only know what I want you to know. You only see what I want you to see.” She placed a hand on her chest. “This isn’t my real body, Wade. Or my real face.”

“I don’t care! I’m in love with your mind—with the person you are. I couldn’t care less about the packaging.”

“You’re just saying that,” she said. There was an unsteadiness in her voice. “Trust me. If I ever let you see me in person, you would be repulsed.”

“Why do you always say that?”

“Because I’m hideously deformed. Or I’m a paraplegic. Or I’m actually sixty-three years old. Take your pick.”

“I don’t care if you’re all three of those things. Tell me where to meet you and I’ll prove it. I’ll get on a plane right now and fly to wherever you are. You know I will.”

She shook her head. “You don’t live in the real world, Z. From what you’ve told me, I don’t think you ever have. You’re like me. You live inside this illusion.” She motioned to our virtual surroundings. “You can’t possibly know what real love is.”

“Don’t say that!” I was starting to cry and didn’t bother hiding it from her. “Is it because I told you I’ve never had a real girlfriend? And that I’m a virgin? Because—”

Wade you idiot.

quote:

“Of course not,” she said. “That isn’t what this is about. At all.”

“Then what is it about? Tell me. Please.”

“The Hunt. You know that. We’ve both been neglecting our quests to hang out with each other. We should be focused on finding the Jade Key right now. You can bet that’s what Sorrento and the Sixers are doing. And everyone else.”

“To hell with our competition! And the egg!” I shouted. “Didn’t you hear what I just said? I’m in love with you! And I want to be with you. More than anything.”

She just stared at me. Or rather, her avatar stared blankly back at my avatar. Then she said, “I’m sorry, Z. This is all my fault. I let this get way out of hand. It has to stop.”

“What do you mean? What has to stop?”

“I think we should take a break. Stop spending so much time together.”

I felt like I’d been punched in the throat. “Are you breaking up with me?”

“No, Z,” she said firmly. “I am not breaking up with you. That would be impossible, because we are not together.” There was suddenly venom in her voice. “We’ve never even met!”

I'm not sure exactly what to think about this. On the one hand, she's right: they've never actually met in person, and it's very possible that she never even viewed their friendship as a relationship.

On the other, she's been behaving a lot like this is some whirlwind romance, from kissing him after their Rocky Horror date to flirting with him and inviting him to a rather intimate dance. And when Wade tries to profess his love for her, she doesn't start with "I'm sorry, I just view you as a friend." She tries to come up with reasons why he shouldn't be in love with her in real life. As we'll see from Art3mis later, I think her reaction here has less to do with a lack of attraction toward Wade and more to do with self-hatred.

As "James Brown is Dead" comes on the club speakers, the roof suddenly explodes. Over a hundred Sixers swoop in with blaster pistols blazing, and the club erupts into a gunfight. I promise, I'm telling this with the exact level of excitement and gravitas that Cline does.

Art3mis and Wade both have body shields, and she effortlessly incinerates a dozen Sixers with plasma ball spells (which makes me wonder why these guys are a threat?), but it's looking like they're going to die to the dulcet tones of LA Style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8e9b2ON8s

quote:

I glanced up at the DJ booth just in time to see it crack open as the Great and Powerful Og emerged from within. He looked really, really annoyed.

“You jerks think you can crash my birthday party?” he shouted. His avatar was still wearing a mic, so his words blasted over the club’s speaker array, reverberating like the voice of God. The melee seemed to halt for a split second as all eyes turned to look at Og, who was now floating at the center of the dance floor. He stretched out his arms as he turned to face the onslaught of Sixers.

A dozen tines of red lightning erupted from each of Og’s fingertips, branching out in all directions. Each tine struck a different Sixer avatar in the chest while somehow arcing harmlessly around everyone else.

In a millisecond, every single Sixer in the club was completely vaporized. Their avatars froze and glowed bright red for a few seconds, then simply vanished.

I was awestruck. It was the most incredible display of power by an avatar I’d ever seen.

“Nobody busts into my joint uninvited!” Og shouted, his voice echoing through the now-silent club. The remaining avatars (the ones who hadn’t fled the club in terror or been killed in the brief battle) let out a victorious cheer. Og flew back into the DJ booth, which closed up around him like a transparent cocoon. “Let’s get this party going again, shall we?” he said, dropping a needle on a techno remix of “Atomic” by Blondie. It took a moment for the shock to wear off, but then everyone started to dance again.

I looked around for Art3mis, but she seemed to have vanished. Then I spotted her avatar flying out of the new exit the Sixer attack had created.

She stopped and hovered outside a moment, just long enough to glance back at me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

iospace posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh transphobia.

Oh, it gets worse.

There's a certain character that i have a lot to say about, but I'm holding on until it comes out in the story.

chitoryu12 posted:

Spielberg apparently changed every single challenge. According to early reviews, one of them is finding out that Halliday went on a date once with a girl to see The Shining and having to find a copy of her in the Overlook Hotel, including dealing with elevator blood flooding it.
yeah,I called it a long time ago that this would happen, although that one sounds like a neat twist.

There's so many staged film junket bits of Stephen Spielberg calling Ernie Cline a "visionary" at this point that it just makes you want to cry.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
This thread is doing God's work. What a tire fire of a book.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

chitoryu12 posted:

It would be a lot more badass if these drinks were actually real, because I'm pretty sure a 19-year-old nerd would spew out her nose the first time she tried to knock back scotch.

A joke this good would have almost justified the entire work for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paladin posted:

A joke this good would have almost justified the entire work for me.

We see in later chapters that it's possible to order food for delivery directly from OASIS to let you experience eating in it better. This book would be a lot better in a more advanced future with Star Trek-style replicators hooked up to rigs or the aforementioned direct brain jacks, so ordering scotch on the rocks really is scotch on the rocks in the simulation.

And Wade's Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster just loving murders him.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

“Flibbertigibbet” - in my experience this antiquated word usually gets applied to young women and implies not only are they overly chatty, but the subject of their chatter is frivolous. For the female lead to use that word repeatedly to describe herself is as Clineian as the non-stop references.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's a certain character that i have a lot to say about, but I'm holding on until it comes out in the story.

I appreciate in advance your labor in discussing this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The thing I hate most about that description of the car (which I also have had the displeasure of seeing irl) is that Cline clearly doesn't know that the Flux Capacitor and the Overthruster Oscillator are the same exact prop, and that knowing this fact makes me an even worse 80s nerd than Cline. Sigh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

I was about to agree that the narrative would be better if, at the very least, Wade didn't care much about the 80's and just treated it like a job.

The problem is that the book is written so poorly that if Wade didn't explicitly tell us a few times that he loves the 80's, it might as well have been just a job. And it still sucks.

Well yeah, it would require the character to be developed beyond "80s trivia dispenser"

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's weird but when Cline describes his super-cuzstomized Delorean all I can think of is the car Homer Simpson designed for his half-brother's company

Just a Frankensteinian mishmash of "Cool" things thrown together with no thought for how it all looks together.

I wonder why an entire planet used for schools is prohibited from PVP while a popular social zone isn't. Just seems inconsistent.

And I hate everything that's been in the last two posts. At least that's consistent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gnome de plume posted:

Just a Frankensteinian mishmash of "Cool" things thrown together with no thought for how it all looks together.

Welcome! This bowl is for your tears. No spilling!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Here's a question

If the 80s poo poo is because of "the hunt" and something he got into as part of the challenge of finding the egg, who is Wade?

Like, who is Wade as a person. If the nerd poo poo is all something he sought out as a job, what kind of person is he beneath all that. Like, if he could get any car he wanted, and was not perpetually trapped in a state of obsessiveness brought about by his poverty, what car would he want? How would he dress? What would his interests be?

What was wade before he became the caricature of a broken old man's obsessions. Who is he beneath it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You assume that Cline has a personality?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Here's a question

If the 80s poo poo is because of "the hunt" and something he got into as part of the challenge of finding the egg, who is Wade?

Like, who is Wade as a person. If the nerd poo poo is all something he sought out as a job, what kind of person is he beneath all that. Like, if he could get any car he wanted, and was not perpetually trapped in a state of obsessiveness brought about by his poverty, what car would he want? How would he dress? What would his interests be?

What was wade before he became the caricature of a broken old man's obsessions. Who is he beneath it?

He’s nothing and never was anything.

He explains his childhood in the proper first chapter. He was raised on a steady diet of VR games and old movies and TV to distract him from his mother’s OASIS sex work job. He can’t even socialize in real life and 100% of his confidence and self-image is as Parzival.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

steinrokkan posted:

You assume that Cline has a personality?

He had at least enough agency to choose to define himself by pop culture trinkets

chitoryu12 posted:

He’s nothing and never was anything.

He explains his childhood in the proper first chapter. He was raised on a steady diet of VR games and old movies and TV to distract him from his mother’s OASIS sex work job. He can’t even socialize in real life and 100% of his confidence and self-image is as Parzival.

Yeah, but those are things that happened to him. Who IS he? Like, even the most shy anti-social isolated kid with a tragic upbringing has an essence of "self" to him. It feels like Wade didn't actually exist until the book started, the back story a recitation of facts rather than the establishment of a person

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He had at least enough agency to choose to define himself by pop culture trinkets

I mean, that just shows he's an opportunist, not that he has any depth

Cline is a parasite, who just happens to fill a successful niche.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

quote:

Parzival: He’s been my best friend for five years. Now, spill it. Are you a woman? And by that I mean are you a human female who has never had a sex-change operation?
Art3mis: That’s pretty specific.
Parzival: Answer the question, Claire.
Art3mis: I am, and always have been, a human female. Have you ever met Aech IRL?

quote:

“You only know what I want you to know. You only see what I want you to see.” She placed a hand on her chest. “This isn’t my real body, Wade. Or my real face.”

“I don’t care! I’m in love with your mind—with the person you are. I couldn’t care less about the packaging.”

“You’re just saying that,” she said. There was an unsteadiness in her voice. “Trust me. If I ever let you see me in person, you would be repulsed.”

This could be an interesting Chekov in the hands of a better author.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, that just shows he's an opportunist, not that he has any depth

Cline is a parasite, who just happens to fill a successful niche.

He’s lucky, not a schemer. In all the other parallel universes he died unremarked.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Yond Cassius posted:

Pile "Aech and Art3mis are the same person" onto the list of better plot twists this book COULD have had.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like she has to be who she is for Cline's self insert narrative.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Paladin posted:

Pile "Aech and Art3mis are the same person" onto the list of better plot twists this book COULD have had.

That is much more interesting, and I wish we got that instead.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like she has to be who she is for Cline's self insert narrative.

The creepiest part is how you can feel Cline congratulating his authorial stand in for being attracted to someone of "rubenesque" stature.

It's also hilarious how Wade is shocked every single time at the thought that someone's online persona doesn't match their real life physical state, despite A) tweaking his own avatar and B) interacting with the world solely through the internet.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Paladin posted:

You just reminded me of one of my favorite novel series, in which such a twist is pulled off amazingly well. Thinking about those books is so much better than thinking about RPO. Thanks!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Yond Cassius posted:

The book is full of Chekhov's guns but every one of them gets pawned for meth money.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Wade is the ultimate result of the person who uses pop culture and “nerdy” media in place of an actual personality or self-improvement.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BobHoward posted:

You just reminded me of one of my favorite novel series, in which such a twist is pulled off amazingly well. Thinking about those books is so much better than thinking about RPO. Thanks!

C’mon now. Share.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just finished reading through the thread...why Spielberg latch onto this? The whole thing is gutter trash.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Wade is the ultimate result of the person who uses pop culture and “nerdy” media in place of an actual personality or self-improvement.

And humor. There are several places where he says "she got my joke" even though he didn't make a joke, he just made a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The whole 'friends don't really count if its only online' really shows Clines age, the idea that its only physical meetings that matter. For kids raised on a VR sandbox that is apparently as immersive as real life, it makes little sense. Even with text and maybe voip, myself and mates have made long lasting friendships, regardless of geography. Some I've since met which was more of a milestone, others I still haven't and have no feelings of lessening the connection.

Its the kind of thing a paternal figure would say, not one half of said relationship.

As for Wades 'character', lets go Plinkett on him-

RLM posted:

You must describe the character without mentioning:
Appearance
Skills
Plot relevance
Relationships
You must only describe the character in terms of their personality.

Here goes... ________ __________ ________ _________ He's an arsehole ___ ________ ______ __________ ___________ _____ _______ _________ __________ ______________ ______________

• Locked thread