Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
I am predicting a Pujols resurgence. Seems like he has had his first surgery free off-season in forever, feet finally healthy. And Ohtani DHing means he will get his time at first which I think will be good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I hope it happens for non-fantasy reasons and he holds on a few more seasons even in a part time role to get 700. I don't know what happened to his batting eye. Or is it bat speed? Walks have been declining and strikeouts creeping up.

I started playing 04 and he's been close to the #1 player in that span. Sad to see him undrafted.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seeing Pujols, Hanley, and Tulowitzki all undrafted is just a stark reminder that in 10 years I'll see Harper and Trout go undrafted.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Trout is going to be 1.01 until the heat death of the universe and I will hear nothing to the opposite

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Miguel Cabrera was like pick #100 last night, that was pretty jarring. But justified!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
meanwhile, am I missing something with Upton? he's gone fairly late in both my drafts so far and he seems like he could be a .900 OPS/30 HR/15 SB guy pretty easily.

edit - I got him at 35 in a 12 team snake draft and $19 in an auction

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 19, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What is late? I see him go around 50.

There's just something about his streakiness that bothers me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

meanwhile, am I missing something with Upton? he's gone fairly late in both my drafts so far and he seems like he could be a .900 OPS/30 HR/15 SB guy pretty easily.

edit - I got him at 35 in a 12 team snake draft and $19 in an auction

I think most people are, reasonably, thinking he won't be able to match his numbers from last year through a full season. For reference, in my league that also counts OPS he was ranked 23rd on the season even with the year he had. 35th overall is probably on the high end of where I'd expect to start seeing him go.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Congrats to whomever in HGH and Centaur Paintings got both Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller. You are king of holds!

coronaball posted:

Miguel Cabrera was like pick #100 last night, that was pretty jarring. But justified!

I thought I drafted him too early at 118. He had two bulging disks in his back and Ausmus kept dragging him out to play despite Detroit being eliminated in May. But now he looks really skinny this spring.

Please be good again, Miguel :ohdear:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Congrats to whomever in HGH and Centaur Paintings got both Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller. You are king of holds!

I thought I drafted him too early at 118. He had two bulging disks in his back and Ausmus kept dragging him out to play despite Detroit being eliminated in May. But now he looks really skinny this spring.

Please be good again, Miguel :ohdear:

No, that would be Chris Jericho

And would you say Miggy looks to be in the best shape of his life?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moneyball posted:

No, that would be Chris Jericho

And would you say Miggy looks to be in the best shape of his life?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

trying to figure out the best strategy for my draft. kept bryant, betts, bird, acuna, c taylor, and kimbrel.

now i've got $121 to field the rest of my team. our league has 14 managers, counts qs, and limits innings pitched to 1700. that's a ton of loving innings to fill. sale and kershaw are the big names left, and each will probably go for $30-40 or so. next best guys, to give you an idea of this league, are as follows:

i'm really not sure what to do. one idea i have is to stream hitters daily. i think a huuuuge, unexploited inefficiency in roto is filling in for days off. doing so can give you an extra 50-75pa per position if you do it right. that's essentially an extra slot in my league. so in the draft i can theoretically spend $1 on the rest of the hitters, $6 total. that gives me $115 for pitching.

now i can see the logic of taking kershaw and/or sale, then trying to fill out <= $5 guys. those two are as sure as they come, and in a 14-team league, that sets me up well with about 450 innings, counting kimbrel. given the turnover in pitching, i can probably waiver wire a couple or few decent arms by the end of april. that'd maybe give me a solid 800-1000 innings. at this point i'd be banking on turnover going crazy again, and being able to score arms throughout the year. and obviously playing favorable matchups against the marlins, padres, etc.

on the other hand, i could pick up like 4 of the $15 guys here and there. the quintanas, darvishes, martinezes, etc.

where do you fall?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Justin Turner just broke his wrist.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

trying to figure out the best strategy for my draft. kept bryant, betts, bird, acuna, c taylor, and kimbrel.

now i've got $121 to field the rest of my team. our league has 14 managers, counts qs, and limits innings pitched to 1700. that's a ton of loving innings to fill. sale and kershaw are the big names left, and each will probably go for $30-40 or so. next best guys, to give you an idea of this league, are as follows:

i'm really not sure what to do. one idea i have is to stream hitters daily. i think a huuuuge, unexploited inefficiency in roto is filling in for days off. doing so can give you an extra 50-75pa per position if you do it right. that's essentially an extra slot in my league. so in the draft i can theoretically spend $1 on the rest of the hitters, $6 total. that gives me $115 for pitching.

now i can see the logic of taking kershaw and/or sale, then trying to fill out <= $5 guys. those two are as sure as they come, and in a 14-team league, that sets me up well with about 450 innings, counting kimbrel. given the turnover in pitching, i can probably waiver wire a couple or few decent arms by the end of april. that'd maybe give me a solid 800-1000 innings. at this point i'd be banking on turnover going crazy again, and being able to score arms throughout the year. and obviously playing favorable matchups against the marlins, padres, etc.

on the other hand, i could pick up like 4 of the $15 guys here and there. the quintanas, darvishes, martinezes, etc.

where do you fall?

ok, so i think i've thought this through

stars and scrubs ONLY works when the waiver pool has actual talent to reel in. in a 14 team league with as many bench spots as we have, the waiver pool will not be flush enough with talent to stream. like there might be a good matchup here and there, but it'll be rare, especially given how good some of the managers are. plus, the league counts qs as well, and those are way hard to find after like the first 75 pitchers, much less the first 100 that'll be drafted in this league.

furthermore, hitting is almost always streamable. daily matchups are great, especially when the linds and enrique hernandezes of the world will almost always be there. so my instinct to stream hitting i think is on point. i'll probably land another reliable bat in the draft, but stream otherwise. as for pitching, i can't just invest in sale and kershaw, who'd account for 1/4 of my innings at best. given the guaranteed dearth of talent in the waiver pool, i need to try and find 1000-1200 reliable innings in the draft.

so yea, think i'm going with the quintanas, martinezes, darvishes, lynns, odorizzis strategy + stream minimum 4 hitters + fill in off-days strategy.

sorry for posting this. needed a way of thinking through it, i guess. please let me know if you see anything wrong in my logic, though!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Question for those in the Fire and Forget league (and I suppose anyone else that wants to weigh in): how many innings do you think I should set the max at? With 5 SP/4RP/2P my first thought was that 1400 might be low, but then again maybe it's too high since you can't actually shuffle pitchers between active and bench like a normal league.

Yahoo lets me change it in increments of 25, if you have any suggestions for a change.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
1400 seems way too high to me. If you got unlucky with an injury or two you'd lose every category.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's:

5 SP: roughly 150 innings for 750
4 RP: roughly 60 IP for 240.
2 P: If you drafted another closer and a starter, that's 200 more IP, for 1190 total.

1400 innings seems to me like you would be forced to draft 7 SP and pray they hit 180+ innings each.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
it's a limit, not a minimum. No one will hit any of the limits probably, it doesn't really matter.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
gently caress, missed that.

Ignore my post. I agree with Schwein.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bellinger fouled a ball of his leg and is out of the game

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Justin Turner just broke his wrist.

Doubtful for opening day?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Trying to figure out my keepers. My league keeps up to 12, they count as your first 12 rounds of draft picks. Categories are Runs, Home Runs, RBI, Stolen Bases, and Average for hitters and Wins, Saves, Strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP for pitchers. It's an 8 team league, and the roster positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, Px9, 1 NA slot, and 4 bench slots.

I am keeping Votto, Judge, Blackmon, Harper, Turner, Kershaw, and Kluber.

I am not sure if I should keep both Lindor and Bregman, or only one of them? If I keep only one, do I hold on to Greg Bird or keep a pitcher? And I am torn on my pitchers. I really like McCullers, Severino, and Wood, but they are not the most proven of options. Will Thor be healthy?

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 21, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Imasalmon posted:

Trying to figure out my keepers. My league keeps up to 12, they count as your first 12 rounds of draft picks. Categories are Runs, Home Runs, RBI, Stolen Bases, and Average for hitters and Wins, Saves, Strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP for pitchers. It's an 8 team league, and the roster positions are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, Px9, 1 NA slot, and 4 bench slots.

I am keeping Votto, Judge, Blackmon, Harper, Turner, Kershaw, and Kluber.

I am not sure if I should keep both Lindor and Bregman, or only one of them? If I keep only one, do I hold on to Greg Bird or keep a pitcher? And I am torn on my pitchers. I really like McCullers, Severino, and Wood, but they are not the most proven of options. Will Thor be healthy?

YES keep both Lindor and Bregman. I'd definitely keep Severino and Thor too. And Carlos Martinez or Contreras as your last one.

your team is ridiculous by the way.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 21, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

YES keep both Lindor and Bregman. I'd definitely keep Severino and Thor too. And Carlos Martinez or Contreras as your last one.

I agree with all of this. I love Greg Bird but if you have Votto there's no reason to keep him over either of the guys you asked about.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Felter Chesthard posted:

I am predicting a Pujols resurgence. Seems like he has had his first surgery free off-season in forever, feet finally healthy. And Ohtani DHing means he will get his time at first which I think will be good for him.

He's 38. And Ohtani DHing probably just means less ABs for Pujols.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Imasalmon posted:

It's an 8 team league

:geno:

I guess even for an 8-team league it's pretty stacked but still, :geno:

Speaking of keepers, it's always fun seeing who people in the dynasty-lite league decided to keep or cut loose. Plus this year we had the added wrinkle of a variable amount of keepers per team (teams had the option of keeping 7-10 players instead of a required ten per team)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oopf. This is one of those times (while not catastrophic) it hurts to have drafted like 3-4 weeks ago.
https://twitter.com/DrMikeTanner/status/976459856889634816

E: I guess I'll ask here then...
Who would you take for MINF where the focus is OPS:
Russell, Drury, Solarte, Simmons, Forsythe, Walker, Crawford, Panik...

I was thinking that Russell is the only one of the group with upside, Forsythe has a shot now with Turner's injury, otherwise meh.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 21, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I haven't played fantasy in a few years, but my buddy from high school asked me if I wanted to play and I was like sure. 12 team ESPN league, scoring categories are as follows:

Hitting: HR, RBI, OBP, R, SB
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, SV, K, W, minimum 22 innings

any advice? it's a snake draft but the order hasn't been set yet. I think this will be fun, team name is Giancarlo Drops the Mike

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

IcePhoenix posted:

:geno:

I guess even for an 8-team league it's pretty stacked but still, :geno:

Speaking of keepers, it's always fun seeing who people in the dynasty-lite league decided to keep or cut loose. Plus this year we had the added wrinkle of a variable amount of keepers per team (teams had the option of keeping 7-10 players instead of a required ten per team)

Yeah, a tiny league makes it easy to have stars, but everyone has stars.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
So at my new job ESPN, Rotoworld etc. are all blocked on my PC. What's the best service for text message alerts about closer changes, guys getting called up, etc?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

coronaball posted:

So at my new job ESPN, Rotoworld etc. are all blocked on my PC. What's the best service for text message alerts about closer changes, guys getting called up, etc?

A new job :haw:

Reminder to everyone in it that the fire and forget draft is tonight!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

coronaball posted:

Turn off WiFi and use data on your phone when you need to.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Yo please replace me in tonight's draft if I don't follow up by 4pm est. It's taking forever to get a simple fix of my laptop done and I can't really draft on my phone. I'd like all teams to be competitive

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

coronaball posted:

Does twitter still alert you to certain tweets? If so you want closermonkey I think.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
When would you guys recommend going from an AL only league to using both leagues?

We had 7 participants with 21 roster spots last year and the wire was a little bare, but definitely usable. We've added an 8th player this year and are debating whether we should add the NL.

I feel like we'd all have all-star teams if we added the NL and would prefer it to be a little more difficult. Do people have a general cut-off line in terms of number of players rostered to determine whether to use 1 league or 2?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Anything under 10 teams creates super teams.

Unless you add more owners or way more roster spots, you end up so loaded that valuable players remain FA

Also for tonight's draft, they promise I'll have my laptop but who knows

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hey Goons, you guys should draft or pick up José Martinez, he's basically free and the Cardinals seem intent on getting him as many ABs as possible. Dude is a stud.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hey Goons, you guys should draft or pick up José Martinez, he's basically free and the Cardinals seem intent on getting him as many ABs as possible. Dude is a stud.

thanks for this I think youre the one who put the thread on CarMar the year he broke out as well

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you want david dahl and jake junis too. dahl won’t start in the majors, but he’ll come up in the first month probably. dude could be a savior

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also, michael brantley is near-free in leagues and that’s a crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Once I get to DL Murphey I'll have to make some decisions but I am leaning Martinez because the Cards REALLY seem to want to play him.

• Locked thread