Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gmq posted:

Everyone wants Hollow Knight and I dropped it after the third boss. :v:

The backtracking to get back to your corpse ended up being too annoying.

You could try dying less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

GreatGreen posted:

How many hours have you put into it?

Also, about the experience and difficulty. Of course nobody is looking for Dark Souls here, but is the game so easy that it becomes boring? Or is it a case where it's easy but there's so much visual spectacle that you feel entertained the whole time?

My time is kinda ruined because I'm scum that leaves my games running when I go to do chores so I can't give a exact number, but so far I'd wager about 12 hours of messing around so far.

And the first few stages can be pretty boring as they try to limit what powers you get for tutorial sake but by the end you're swapping so much it's fine and all of the bosses have fleshed out fun movesets so they're always a treat.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'll probably buy spelunky again if they get rid of that dumb background hard shadow effect. That thing gives me a headache and the first time I saw it I thought my monitor was ghosting and about to die on me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sentient Data posted:

I'll probably buy spelunky again if they get rid of that dumb background hard shadow effect. That thing gives me a headache and the first time I saw it I thought my monitor was ghosting and about to die on me

I want it with new music.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cobalt Viper posted:

That's not a real image.

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

I was so ready to buy Downwell on the Switch. I would easily pay whatever more money it would cost on the Switch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I was so ready to buy Downwell on the Switch. I would easily pay whatever more money it would cost on the Switch

I was ready to buy terraria a 5th? time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

i am pretty sure the Downwell guy actually works as a programmer at Nintendo now so it wouldn't totally surprise me if it happened

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Never heard of Downwell what is it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Never heard of Downwell what is it

probably the best game you'll ever play on your smartphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UygovwXlbsU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
How's Flinthook / its Switch port? I'm in the mood for a rougelite and from what I've seen it looks cool. If it runs at 60fps I am entirely down.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Flinthook runs smooth and feels good but I'm not sure I love it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

tired: rooftop parties

wired: empty gravel lot parties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIKpJv5Osw8

This but I ignore everyone who comes up to talk to me and keep playing Bayonetta. I gently caress up the vibe at the party when I yell at my doubles partner for not understanding the special shot system

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

f#a# posted:

How's Flinthook / its Switch port? I'm in the mood for a rougelite and from what I've seen it looks cool. If it runs at 60fps I am entirely down.

It's good. I think I posted a write up a couple pages ago if you wanna check my history, it's got fun mechanics but the roguelite elements get a little repetitive in the end game. Still fun enough that I'd say go for it if that's the kind of game you're into (but if you don't already own Isaac or Gungeon you should play those first)

edit: or Crypt of the Necrodancer, I'd also rank that above Flinthook

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

alf_pogs posted:

probably the best game you'll ever play on your smartphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UygovwXlbsU

I played it on PC so I could use a controller. I put 32 hours into the game. For a game that's as simple looking as that, and as short (technically) as that I got a ton of a time out of it. The movement and controls are VERY good and it became a really good game to play while listening to podcasts. It felt awesome to finally beat it, and I ended up getting almost every achievement. I think the only set of achievements for the game I didn't get was beating all the hard modes. I beat the first stage on hard finally and then got distracted by other things. Downwell is fantastic

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah Downwell owns. For those who don't know, the guy who made it is like 20 years old and last month he tweeted that he got hired by Nintendo which is pretty cool

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Team Cherry tweeted that there’s no Hollow Knight in tomorrow’s direct, but they should have a release date later this week.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Manticore posted:

Team Cherry tweeted that there’s no Hollow Knight in tomorrow’s direct, but they should have a release date later this week.

that is bizarre

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

f#a# posted:

It's very good, and I highly recommend it.

The Manticore posted:

Wait... why would you not want to be part of the Direct that would hype the gently caress out of your product, especially if you had a release date announcement this week... just say "Coming Quarter Whatever" if it's a bit ambiguous :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Manticore posted:

That's weird. Why would they not have the best indie game at an indie showcase???

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The 28th so in 9 days! After that who knows v:v:v

Safe bets going to be Magalor/Taranza/Susie/Adeliene though.

E: I vote Kawasaki next because it's hilarious watching bosses fail to kill the potato man

Wish granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP23yExVW9c

Also Magalor and Taranza would be really cool. Maybe Landia too...

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Do I actually have to clear the entirety of a character's entire playthrough before I can select another character on this guest star time attack in Star Allies?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

g0lbez posted:

Do I actually have to clear the entirety of a character's entire playthrough before I can select another character on this guest star time attack in Star Allies?

You can befriend a character and then piggyback them to essentially play as them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

g0lbez posted:

You only get one save for it, yes. So you can't swap without losing your progress, I think. It's only an hour or so long, though

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Well luckily this game is extremely fun so I guess I don't care that much

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Manticore posted:

Team Cherry tweeted that *bzzzt* Hollow Knight *bzzzt* release date later this week.

I’m sorry, my service is a little spotty, but I think the message came through...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If we;'re talking random indie games we want, I'd love portable Heat Signature, that is a game that is perfect for picking up and playing for a few minutes at a time.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Steamworld Dig 2 or Dandara?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Evil Eagle posted:

Wish granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP23yExVW9c

Also Magalor and Taranza would be really cool. Maybe Landia too...

Thank you my good dude, man I love Kawasaki Belmont. He's so simple but still manages to be fun. Also using his pot on the cherry storm will never not be funny

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Look Sharp! posted:

Por que no los dos?

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Por que no los dos?

The man who chases two rabbits catches neither.
I rarely finish metroidvanias as it is, but I have enough time to focus on one for now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Look Sharp! posted:

Dig 2 is a larger, "more classic" metroidvania with upgrades that significantly affect how you move around (high jumps, rocket packs, etc); Dandara is comparatively shorter and has a "unique" control scheme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g88aHofVku0) and the upgrades tend to be less "change how you play the game" and more "glorified keys for doors" (eg, an item that lets you jump further but only near specific static environmental objects).

I enjoyed Dandara but I'd have a very hard time recommending it over SWD2 if you have to pick one of them.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My wishlist for the nindies direct:

Hotline Miami 1&2
FTL
Into the Breach
F-Zero Rammers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm excited that Nintendo will overshadow everything in the Nintendo Indies Direct by announcing Mother...4.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frankston posted:

Hotline Miami 1&2

But will they release it in ~Australia~

I mean we certainly can't be having games with guns in them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The splatfest in Japan this time is the dumbest I've seen yet: two slightly different models of Nike shoes. Previous $plugs$ splatfests were at least a little more subtle.

I didn't catch many of them in Splatoon 1, did they ever get like this?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 20, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The splatfest in Japan this time is the dumbest I've seen yet: two slightly different models of Nike shoes. Previous $plugs$ splatfests were at least a little more subtle.

I didn't catch many of them in Splatoon 1, did they ever get like this?

Japan had plenty of sponsored Splatfests in 1. In fact, they repeated the same sponsored theme once. NA and EU had some, but they didn't have nearly as many.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man I feel bad for someone that looks at where the Switch has been and where it's going and thinks this is Nintendo at their lowest point.

No, see, Nintendo is in a constant state of doomed and will go bankrupt if they don't do exactly as internet nerds demand.

I hope this Nindies Direct has some world premier footage of Spellbound or something like that. King Knight's campaign would be rad to see too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Japan had plenty of sponsored Splatfests in 1. In fact, they repeated the same sponsored theme once. NA and EU had some, but they didn't have nearly as many.

Autobots; Inferior, Decepticons; Superior :awesomelon:.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Manticore posted:

Aw, well that's a shame but I hope the news later is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Autobots; Inferior, Decepticons; Superior :awesomelon:.
That's sure a lot easier to make banners and stuff for than literally "the most popular Nike shoe" and "the newest Nike shoe".

• Locked thread