Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

The BPG is at an inherit disadvantage to similar supplements from other lines because it has so much to walk back and redefine, but I have to say I'm really impressed with the job they've done. The designers and writers should be proud, there are a lot of cool things included (like the Lair library and the Kinship Merits) and, as Kureig said, the Matt's "Voice from the Mount" feel has largely been excised. I would actually consider playing or running a Beast PC now.

I mean, not a whole Brood, but one in a mixed company game? Might have its place.

Beast has always been a really great idea hampered by being Beast, but the BPG very much plays up more of the good ideas rather than the Beast of it all. Like "Here's how the Primordial Dream interacts with the rest of the Astral, here's more about the Dark Mother and the practical impact she has on Beast society, also here's a bit on how their actual society works". Things like that. At the very least it jumped it up to "Not Mummy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mulva posted:

Beast has always been a really great idea hampered by being Beast, but the BPG very much plays up more of the good ideas rather than the Beast of it all. Like "Here's how the Primordial Dream interacts with the rest of the Astral, here's more about the Dark Mother and the practical impact she has on Beast society, also here's a bit on how their actual society works". Things like that. At the very least it jumped it up to "Not Mummy".

I might pick it up just for the Dark Mother stuff if there's a lot of details in there. Is there? If so, maybe some of it can be used for games that involve the Circle that are heavy into that part of their worship. It's about the only way I can see Beast's potentially interacting with vampires without them either using them as disposable pawns, wondering what an actual real otherkin's blood tastes like, or in the case of high humanity vampires going "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" and trying to lodge a machete in their skull when one of them starts of their whole "Well, actually, i'm helping people by hurting them!" bullshit.

Plus, that particular name has been coming up in multiple game lines stretching straight out from CoFD to 3e Exalted. Only the Dark Mother in 3e Exalted is responsible for the Promethean exalt equivalent in that game. Maybe I can dredge up some of the ideas in the CofD version for Exalted since it's unlikely we're ever getting a version of 3e that includes finer details like that with the way it's currently going and generally has gone.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Circle could work well, the BPG introduced a form of ritual magic based on worship of the Dark Mother. You can only actually perform the rites if you've been in 'contact' with the Dark Mother, which is either something the Storyteller can drop on you whenever it seems appropriate or something you can try to actively reach out for when you've lost all Willpower. Anyone, including human cultists, can help you enact them....but you have to have actually received guidance from the Dark Mother to lead one. Having done so completely refills your Willpower pool and gives you some level of inspiration [Vague occult-y nonsense all such Storyteller bait actions give you, or something fairly direct and understandable on an Exceptional Success], and a feeling of being loved and connected.

There's still no, like, stat sheet and a "This is what the Dark Mother is", but there's a lot based on what it means to Beasts and the very real power there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's also a faction of Beasts who acknowledge that the dark mother is real, but also that she is not their friend. (They aren't good beasts, mind you, they're still monsters. They just don't like drawing the dark mother's attention)

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Basic Chunnel and cptn_dr thanks for pointing me to the Magnus Archives. I was not expecting it to be so good, I think the point of view really helps and thank god they have some continuity and overarching plot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

np, I'm not the biggest fan of the emerging metaplot but the episodes themselves are tightly written, and can be very effective. I pay em monthly.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The first Mage: the Awakening game that I’ve ever run is starting soon and I am at a complete and utter loss as to how to get the ball rolling. I’ve got loose ideas for what the overarching plot of the chronicle is going to be, but I feel like I want even the barest framework of a prewritten adventure to go off of to help get my players (who are all new to non-D&D RPGs) into the swing of things without me having to worry about coming up with a coherent plot in the prologue.

Are there any short modules for nMage 2e that I can run to get things started?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

blastron posted:

The first Mage: the Awakening game that I’ve ever run is starting soon and I am at a complete and utter loss as to how to get the ball rolling. I’ve got loose ideas for what the overarching plot of the chronicle is going to be, but I feel like I want even the barest framework of a prewritten adventure to go off of to help get my players (who are all new to non-D&D RPGs) into the swing of things without me having to worry about coming up with a coherent plot in the prologue.

I don't think 2e has any but 1e had the Abejdu Cipher which is sort of good for kicking off things. And Reign of the Exarchs, which is more of an adventure path.

My advice, find something the characters would likely do, based on their order and personality, and have a boss tell them to do it (and bring back-up, you might need it) and sure enough they do, because something's going wrong and they have to deal with it right now.

In our last game the Silver Ladder was checking in on another member who wasn't going to meetings, answering phone calls or magic contacts. Bring some back up, so the Adamantine Arrow was there, all the grass is dead, suburb cul de sac looks like a ghost town. And 'in case anything gets out of hand' we had a Guardian of the Veil who has no car and had to be driven by the Mysterium. Those two got there late and the Arrow (a brawler) had already gone a little door-kickey and ended up wrestling on the ground with this mage who was like a crazed decrepit old man but had Force Mage Armor so she couldn't do anything to him, it was hilarious. Anyways turns out he was controlled by the Abyssal Assistant, like a tool that helped him make things with magic he couldn't normally make. Then a metal grandfather clock appeared in the basement and started ticking down.

That last one led to the overarching plots, but you can do it any way from there, even just have it as a 'you guys did a good job with that, lets assume you'll do a good job with this.' Ideally some of your loose ideas involve the characters or their backgrounds.

nofather fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 20, 2018

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

nofather posted:

Basic Chunnel and cptn_dr thanks for pointing me to the Magnus Archives. I was not expecting it to be so good, I think the point of view really helps and thank god they have some continuity and overarching plot.
Am I the only one who usually finds myself disappointed once the overarching plot gets going in serial fiction? I enjoyed Magnus Archives far more when it was just urban horror stories with tentative but unclarified connections and a familiar cast, now that it has become everything is explicitly connected and also the protagonist is a lovecraftian-nobilis superhero fighting against other lovecraftian-nobilis superheroes to save the world I just doooo nooooot caaaaaaare. I feel like the writing quality is still great when limited to "spooky transcription" but takes a quality nosedive when doing the "spooky Interview with a Not-Vampire" plot stuff.

Is there a good inspiration fodder horror fiction podcast out there right now that doesn't go down the oWoD-style metaplot route? Something that leaves a little ambiguity more appropriate to the "overflowing with uncategorizable weirdness" themes of nWoD/CoD?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

blastron posted:

There's a whole chapter of possible settings and story hooks in the 2e core. I just gave my group missions from their orders (competing missions as well), and then let them decide how to deal with it. I rarely plan in anything but broad strokes though, so if you need more concrete things, definitely read Abejdu Cipher, but know that you may have to just hand wave a few details to make it 2e. Then again, if your group is like mine, you'll never end up using those details anyway.

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Am I the only one who usually finds myself disappointed once the overarching plot gets going in serial fiction?

You are not alone in that. It's not that I don't like episodes and the like being connected, but if I'm sitting down to watch the X-Files TV series, I would be upset if someone switched it with the movie. The single episodes of weirdness supports the metaplot, and without them it's just not the same. Especially if you move from doing monster-of-the-week to full metaplot. I'd rather just see it sprinkled in here and there than being hit in the face with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Am I the only one who usually finds myself disappointed once the overarching plot gets going in serial fiction? I enjoyed Magnus Archives far more when it was just urban horror stories with tentative but unclarified connections and a familiar cast, now that it has become everything is explicitly connected and also the protagonist is a lovecraftian-nobilis superhero fighting against other lovecraftian-nobilis superheroes to save the world I just doooo nooooot caaaaaaare. I feel like the writing quality is still great when limited to "spooky transcription" but takes a quality nosedive when doing the "spooky Interview with a Not-Vampire" plot stuff.

No, that's a very common sentiment here. I've never understood it, I love that stuff. It's possible to make a monster-of-the-week or procedural format that stays fresh for an extended period of time but usually it just gets samey after a while.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 20, 2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What book has the hedge mage equivalent for CoD, one of my players wants her human pack member to become a mage, but that'd end up overshadowing the PCs, I figure.

Also: I can just house rule it, but is there a mortal merit that allows normal, non-powered humans to see through lunacy and the innate supernatural masking powers?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I'm only on episode like 20 something. So far I've enjoyed that most of the issues they've faced are never solved, and their method of dealing with things seems to be avoiding them and big themes so far are 'everything is disorganized here' and 'I'm scared can I sleep anywhere that's not my home' which are pretty human.

If it turns out they're some sort of witch-beating Cthulhu Puncher I'll be disappointed.

nofather fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

What book has the hedge mage equivalent for CoD, one of my players wants her human pack member to become a mage, but that'd end up overshadowing the PCs, I figure.

Also: I can just house rule it, but is there a mortal merit that allows normal, non-powered humans to see through lunacy and the innate supernatural masking powers?

Wolf-blooded or other minor template. Sleepwalker merit, I guess, could work, for just 'human but can see this poo poo'.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mors Rattus posted:

Wolf-blooded or other minor template. Sleepwalker merit, I guess, could work, for just 'human but can see this poo poo'.

There's a generic Supernatural Tolerance merit in Hurt Locker.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Soonmot posted:

Even though the nWoD Hunter books seem to intimate in the usual ways that witches are actually mages, I seem to recall that you can build them out without actually making a Mage character. Maybe it’s just that I’ve played games where witches are just witches.

It might be easiest to just draw up a monster with a few dread powers. Or look into an analogue like stigmatics in Demon who have an embed or two at the ready. If the character’s a player asset you don’t want them too powerful (or if they are that powerful, they should be a potential problem).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Basic Chunnel posted:

Even though the nWoD Hunter books seem to intimate in the usual ways that witches are actually mages, I seem to recall that you can build them out without actually making a Mage character. Maybe it’s just that I’ve played games where witches are just witches.

It might be easiest to just draw up a monster with a few dread powers. Or look into an analogue like stigmatics in Demon who have an embed or two at the ready. If the character’s a player asset you don’t want them too powerful (or if they are that powerful, they should be a potential problem).

nHunter allows you to build witches, werewolves and vampires without any of the other line books using their standard make-a-monster system via Dread Powers and so on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mage 2E has a section on Proximi, who are basically Sleepwalkers with limited access to Supernal Magic (usually just a few spells from one or two Arcana.)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Soonmot posted:

I think you're looking for Second Sight?

e: One of the Thaumaturgy Traditions is literally Hedge Witch

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Really depends. Sometimes the arcs intrude on an interesting plot structure (BBC's Sherlock has issues overall but the mytharc-heavy ones are extra dire), sometimes the arc and the individual episodes are equally good (c.f. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), and sometimes the overarching plot is the only loving good thing about a series (c.f. Person of Interest).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Xinder posted:

I think you're looking for Second Sight?

e: One of the Thaumaturgy Traditions is literally Hedge Witch

Could be that! I just remember there being an entire book in oWoD about people who could do lower case m magic and was curious if there were splats already out there instead of just homebrewing it.

One of my werewolf players is going to run for city council in an attempt to break the strangle hold of the Ivory Claw/ Invictus alliance has on city politics.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Soonmot posted:

Could be that! I just remember there being an entire book in oWoD about people who could do lower case m magic and was curious if there were splats already out there instead of just homebrewing it.

One of my werewolf players is going to run for city council in an attempt to break the strangle hold of the Ivory Claw/ Invictus alliance has on city politics.

yeah it's a nWoD 1e book and it's basically exactly what you're describing. Real easy to translate it to 2e tho because it's mostly just merits you can shove onto any old mortal sheet.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Does anyone have a link handy to that big compiled list of random poo poo each splat can do? It's not in the OP and I never actually bookmarked it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PST2RffkiDCJQ-w2Fptcyhkza9PQ__vATOpfgiDC9F0/edit

Kurieg posted:

All Beasts Can:

1. Die in a tire fire.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, that's a very common sentiment here. I've never understood it, I love that stuff. It's possible to make a monster-of-the-week or procedural format that stays fresh for an extended period of time but usually it just gets samey after a while.

I'm with you. My main gripe with early Magnus Archives episodes is that there wasn't any connective tissue, just a bunch of Inexplicable Spooky Stuff that didn't really amount to anything because there was no way to understand what any of it meant.

I can sympathize with those who feel that problem was solved rather too enthusiastically, but I'll definitely take this over someone reading palatable creepypasta stories until it gets old and I stop listening.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Really depends. Sometimes the arcs intrude on an interesting plot structure (BBC's Sherlock has issues overall but the mytharc-heavy ones are extra dire), sometimes the arc and the individual episodes are equally good (c.f. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), and sometimes the overarching plot is the only loving good thing about a series (c.f. Person of Interest).

In television, you use mytharc poo poo to keep people tuning in week after week. Back when the X-Files was in its hayday people loved that poo poo because it was the prevailing mystery; MotW episodes are solved but hinting at more juicy meat from the metaplot week to week makes you want to watch another one.

Many of these shows suffer from one of three major mytharc problems:
*Complexity. This was the X-Files biggest problem. Your brain can only take so many turns of, 'no, it was the moon people operating from a Buick parked in the future' before it shuts off.
*Escalation. Too often the mytharcs try to ramp up the stakes too quickly and before you know it you have a god trying to punch a devil in the dick and your brain shuts off.
*Banality. If the mytharc itself just isn't engaging because it's not actually carrying your show, your brain shuts off.

Interestingly all three of those things are what you should watch out for when running a MotW WoD game.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Mendrian posted:

*Escalation. Too often the mytharcs try to ramp up the stakes too quickly and before you know it you have a god trying to punch a devil in the dick and your brain shuts off.

Or they just go on for so long that they either keep escalating but never resolve anything or have a big blowout devil-dick-punching finale - and then expect you to tune in again after they go back to punching regular demon dicks. Or gods forbid, they try to do both at the same time.

What I'm trying to say is that Supernatural hasn't been good since season 2 and hasn't even been watchable since the end of season 5.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

This list is missing diablerie. And demons can switch between Covers at the cost of one Aether, as well as create flimsy but useful fake identities called Facades from time-limited Pacts (see flowers of hell).

Also all mages can technically invite the abyss into their spells in as far as its not an ability you have to purchase with xp, but it's apparently a secret technique you have to find out about so I don't think it counts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

This list is missing diablerie. And demons can switch between Covers at the cost of one Aether, as well as create flimsy but useful fake identities called Facades from time-limited Pacts (see flowers of hell).

Also all mages can technically invite the abyss into their spells in as far as its not an ability you have to purchase with xp, but it's apparently a secret technique you have to find out about so I don't think it counts.

I'm not the one who made it :shrug:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Pretty sure all you need for antinomian magic is to have the bright idea of intentionally invoking the Abyss rather than letting paradox run wild, but it's also kept hushed up so mages aren't tempted to shove the slimy green fire into their spellcraft for a nitro boost.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Pretty sure all you need for antinomian magic is to have the bright idea of intentionally invoking the Abyss rather than letting paradox run wild, but it's also kept hushed up so mages aren't tempted to shove the slimy green fire into their spellcraft for a nitro boost.
As I recall this was the plot of the Dr. Strange movie, basically.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Joe Slowboat posted:

There are two descriptions on how to do it in 1E. The first is as you described. The second is needing an antinomian rote. Forum remarks by Brookshaw have made it clear that presently the line is operating on the assumption of the latter. Being able to cast improvised antinomian spells is looking to be the benefit of undergoing the Joining, where Mages sign their name to an abyssal ziggurat, a Dur-Abzu.

This makes sense in 2E, since in 1E it was a highly-costly minor benefit to a spell that often wasn't worth invoking on its own. In 2E it lets you turn Paradox into Reach which is pretty drat powerful.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

I am, and it is entirely possible I missed stuff.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

As I recall this was the plot of the Dr. Strange movie, basically.

Basically, with the side plot of "Make sure your students understand that there's a difference between using a thing and worshiping it."

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I know, but Mors did so I figured I might as well put it in the thread.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cú Sith typically cannot build Legend. All they can do is try to be a good dog.

[edit]Did they remove the Prophet Supernatural Origin from the books? Just did a quick search for Cassandra in both books and didn't find anything.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 22, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
The wrong version got uploaded, they will be in the corebook

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
They've been posted on the OP forums.

Neall posted:

This is my fault for not double-checking the file I was using. The Prophet Paths will go into the final book.

New Paths[NP1]
Mortals cannot help but be puppets of Fate, but a rare few are able to see the strings. Lacking the full power of Scions or other creatures of Myth, they are nonetheless a cut above ordinary, ignorant mortals—at least insofar as their ability to get themselves into trouble is concerned. They are Prophets when their abilities manifest as a gift, or Cassandras when it appears as a curse. Though seldom the heroes of their own sagas, they often appear as Guides or Companions to Scions, operating on the principle that, if one can see the horrible monsters that lurk in the shadows of the World, one should make friends with someone capable of fighting them at one’s earliest opportunity.

Prophet
Whether “blessed” by a God or born under a Fateful signifier (being born with a caul or with one or more teeth are common marks of a Prophet), the Prophet sees the skein of Fate laid out before him and reads it like a book. It’s not the ability to see the future, precisely; rather, it’s the ability to understand the weird narrative logic that Fate operates under, to recognize symbolically-relevant details, and thereby get a sense of where events are heading. Just like a student of cinematography can tell which elements in a shot are important by the composition and lighting or a student of theater can predict the course of events in a play thanks to her understanding of dramaturgical archetypes, a Prophet can glimpse, however briefly or incompletely, the courses Fate sets in motion.
Path Effect
Prophets can automatically recognize creatures of Myth and those touched by Fate, including but not limited to Scions, manifest Gods, Titanspawn, and Fatebound mortals. They can likewise recognize portals to Terra Incognita, Underworlds and Overworlds. This Effect requires no roll (and indeed, Prophets are incapable of turning it off), but it is defeated by Knacks or similar powers that conceal the subject’s mystical nature.

Knacks
• Glimpses Forward: A Prophet can learn to read the symbolism Fate spins into the world, assembling cues and signifiers to glean an understanding of the future Fate holds. Once per session, the Prophet may ask one of the following questions about a particular topic (an individual, group, or course of action, for example):
• What is the greatest peril the subject faces?
• What must be done to ensure the subject does not come to disaster?
• What must never come to pass, if the subject is to prosper?
• How will the subject change the World, in ways great or small?
• Obnoxiously Prepared: Once per session, the Prophet can remove all complications from a single action by retroactively having the foresight to prepare just the right tool, circumstances, etc.
• As the Prophecy Foretold: Once per session, the Prophet can declare that events happening in-game match a previously-made prediction and completely refill the Momentum pool.
• Inauspicious Signs: Once per session, the Prophet may remove up to 5 dice from the red Momentum pool, and half that amount (rounded up) from the black pool.

Cassandra
Named for the figure in Greek mythology (though gods of nearly every Pantheon have created them), Cassandras are a special kind of Prophet cursed by the gods to speak absolute truth, but to never be believed by those who hear their prophecies. Where Prophets understand the structures of Fate and thus glimpse what must happen next, Cassandras see how the World flows within those structures, understanding what is happening. Theirs is a more immediate gift of prophecy, but no less useful—the problem is getting other people to act on it.
Cassandras often find themselves pulled into the orbit of Scions for the simple fact that those of divine blood are immune to the curse. They make excellent Guides, and are often fiercely loyal to those rare few people who believe them.
Path Effect
Once per session, the Storyguide tells the Cassandra the absolute truth of a situation. This includes, but isn’t limited to, the agendas of those present, anything concealed or hidden nearby, and the immediate outcome of whatever is happening around her. This gift doesn’t extend to anything outside the Cassandra’s immediate vicinity.

Example: The original Cassandra, for whom this Path is named, saw the Greek army bring the Trojan Horse to the gates of Troy as a “peace offering.” This triggered her Path effect, making her immediately aware that the Greeks were not seeking peace and that many soldiers were hiding within the Horse. As the Trojans brought the Horse into the city, she was also aware that the immediate outcome would be ambush and slaughter. She was not able to perceive the rest of the Greek fleet waiting just beyond the horizon, nor was she able to predict that the long-term consequences would include Aeneas fleeing the city’s destruction and ultimately founding Rome.

No matter the information a Cassandra gleans from this effect, no one she tells will believe her until it’s too late to change the outcome of events. No amount of persuasion or social skill short of God-level Knacks can make someone believe a Cassandra’s prophecies, but it is possible to force people to act in accordance with the Cassandra’s warnings. It’s only the prophecies gleaned from the Cassandra Path effect that evoke this effect; general statements and inferences aren’t automatically disbelieved.

Continuing the example of the Trojan Horse, the Trojan soldiers didn’t continue disbelieving Cassandra’s warnings when the Greeks sprung their trap, but by then it was far too late to do anything about it. If Cassandra remarked that the Trojan Horse was certainly large enough to hold a phalanx of angry Greeks, the Trojans would likely agree, but would immediately discount the possibility that it actually was. If Cassandra had managed to get some leverage (say, a knife at King Priam’s throat), she might have been able to force the Trojans into destroying the Horse anyways, but they’d still steadfastly refuse to believe there was any point to it.

This curse doesn't affect with divine blood. Post-Visitation Scions, Gods, and anyone related to them are free to believe or disbelieve a Cassandra’s warnings as they see fit.

Birthrights
• Creature or Guide •: Cassandras may be accompanied by snakes, who whisper wisdom and sage counsel into their ears. Some merely have tattoos of snakes, hearing the sibilant whispers in their minds.

Knacks
The Ties That Bind: Once per scene, a Cassandra reads someone's Fate at a glance and discern their strongest Fatebound relationship (if any). If the subject has more than one Fatebond at the same strength, this Knack reveals the oldest one first. Subsequent uses of this Knack on the same subject reveal sequentially younger and weaker Fatebonds. Each time the Cassandra uses this Knack, they suffer a Path Condition on an unrelated Path, related to their reputation as a liar who can't be believed.
Truth, Lies, and Alibis: Sometimes there are advantages to nobody believing you. Once per session, a Cassandra automatically succeeds on a simple Manipulation by telling the simple, unvarnished truth. This is a conscious manipulation of the effects of the Cassandra curse, making whatever the Cassandra says seem utterly ridiculous and inconsequential in the moment (and the Cassandra herself, therefore, not worth bothering with). Once the Cassandra leaves the scene, this Knack’s effects end. For example, a Cassandra caught by a police officer while en route to the Pine Barrens to dispose of a body might use this Knack in response to the cop’s questioning her presence and answer “I’m here to bury Sal Gemino’s body.” The Knack’s effect will make the cop dismiss the story and the Cassandra herself as inconsequential, but later, when Mrs. Gemino files a missing persons report for her husband, he’ll remember the story. (“At the time I thought she was joking, but now…”)
This Knack doesn’t affect anyone with divine blood.
Self-Consistency Principle: If you can’t warn people about the future, you can at least take perverse joy in guaranteeing your predictions will come to pass. Once per session, after using her Path effect, the Cassandra adds a Complication equal to her Cunning to all actions that would prevent her prophecy from coming true. Maybe those Trojans would have checked inside the Horse, just to be 100% sure, but once Cassandra starts raving about hidden Greeks, it seems like a terrible idea.
Self-Consistency Principle does affect those with divine blood.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^
Thanks!

JesterOfAmerica posted:

The wrong version got uploaded, they will be in the corebook

Is it missing something other than those supernatural origins? My group is spoiling to give it a real run this season.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just some clarifications that'd have been compiled in the Ask Neall thread. The supernatural paths are going to be redone, though I doubt they'll change all that much.