Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Samuringa posted:

I didn't read it but I never heard any gross stuff about A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Jim Carrey played in the movie so it is forever tainted by association

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman. 1990, so only barely within the last thirty years, but that book is a delight.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

legendof posted:

1990, so only barely within the last thirty years,
:sigh:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Samuringa posted:

I didn't read it but I never heard any gross stuff about A Series Of Unfortunate Events

The author is a sexual harasser. It’s the typical privileged white guy “oh it’s a joke” and/or believes saying crass stuff is innocuous, but it’s harassment all the same. This is fairly recent news to the public but per the industry he was known for making inappropriate remarks for years. He did the whole apology song and dance, much like he did four years ago when he made a racist remark toward author Jacqueline Woodson at a conference where she won an award.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Goddamnit

Okay, uh, the Fault In Our Stars guy, John Green? He seems nice enough.

Also haven't read his books, tho.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cornwind Evil posted:

Man, is there any worldwide phenomenon bestseller book/s in the last 30 years that didn't turn out to be a candy coating over a massive center of poo poo?

Maybe look at something other than genre fiction?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The author is a sexual harasser. It’s the typical privileged white guy “oh it’s a joke” and/or believes saying crass stuff is innocuous, but it’s harassment all the same. This is fairly recent news to the public but per the industry he was known for making inappropriate remarks for years. He did the whole apology song and dance, much like he did four years ago when he made a racist remark toward author Jacqueline Woodson at a conference where she won an award.

we were warned :(

Tunicate posted:

the first three harry potter books are pretty good

only if you skip the 2nd one and just read 1/3/4

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My only consolation is that Ender's Game remains a perfect gem untainted by any bad associations

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cheeky!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Maybe look at something other than genre fiction?

Your right. Someone post some of Franzen's sex scenes.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Nobody tell me anything bad about A Man Called Ove. Just don't.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm not aware of anything bad about Sophie's World or its author.

The only good Harry Potter is The Half-Blood Prince.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

legendof posted:

Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman. 1990, so only barely within the last thirty years, but that book is a delight.

Amanda Palmer's a pretty lovely human being and Gaiman married her.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

everyone lived in the same galaxy as harvey weinstein so we're all sex monsters by association

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cornwind Evil posted:

Man, is there any worldwide phenomenon bestseller book/s in the last 30 years that didn't turn out to be a candy coating over a massive center of poo poo?

Persepolis. I Am Malala. Toms River won the Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction in 2014 and it's amazing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
We're getting pretty far from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo's level of popularity at this point.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My only consolation is that Ender's Game remains a perfect gem untainted by any bad associations

:crossarms:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is largely an issue of historical perspective. There's been both good and terrible popular art for the entire history of the phenomenon, but the worst popular art fades out of memory (and quite possibly literally vanishes, depending on the era and medium) while the better stuff endures. Popular literature isn't getting worse; we're just comparing a mixed bag of modern work with the greatest hits of the past.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Sham bam bamina! posted:

We're getting pretty far from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo's level of popularity at this point.

I get what you're saying but all three of the books I posted were NYT best seller list, and Persepolis was made into a film. I'm not sure what your standard is for widely popular but IMHO, they all make it. :shrug:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The summer that A Girl With the Dragon Tattoo English translation came out you could hardly go a day without someone talking about it, or talking about how they'd seen the Swedish film, or how they were so surprised that Sweden was such a dangerous place because the Nordic countries always seem so safe. Or about the drama surrounding the author's death and the battle over the manuscripts.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:thejoke:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

... or how they were so surprised that Sweden was such a dangerous place because the Nordic countries always seem so safe.

...people do know it's fiction, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Just wait til you hear what people believe America is like from watching movies.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Just wait til you hear what people believe America is like from watching movies.

Next you'll be telling me that China doesn't have random martial-arts fights in the streets on an hourly basis.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The_White_Crane posted:

Next you'll be telling me that China doesn't have random martial-arts fights in the streets on an hourly basis.

Don't be racist, that only applies to northern China. Southern China is all stylish gunfights punctuated with occaisional martial arts duels.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Don Gato posted:

Don't be racist, that only applies to northern China. Southern China is all stylish gunfights punctuated with occaisional martial arts duels.

Don't even get started on the dove infestations

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I thought it was wacky CG animals having Kung Fu adventures combined with brutal government censorship

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Sunshine posted:

They couldn’t tell it’s godawful, so I doubt it.

Seriously, the audiobook should have been narrated by Ben Stein so the actor could be as flat as the writing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A friend recommended I take a look at The Book of Shadows by James Reese.

At one point, the character refers to deciduous evergreen trees.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

:psyduck:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Holy poo poo! I read a galley of this years ago. Wait till you get to the part where a bunch of witches get a little rowdy at a party and cast a spell that causes The Terror.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Gamemaster Anthony weighs in on Ready Player One with a surprisingly restrained take.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

He seems like a sweet soul. Also, of course he wanted more character development in RPO. When you spend every fuckin' birthday partying with every character in the multiverse a crossover reference-fest like this is going to seem mighty unimpressive by comparison.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don’t know how many people here read Middle Grade, which is the market one step younger than YA, but I do because I’m trying to publish a book for that market. Out of all the MG books I read I really enjoyed all of them except for one.

The Green Ember by S D Smith.

The guy apparently wanted to reignite the Redwall spark and apparently doesn’t believe in editing because he had a publishing company that essentially exists to publish his book publish it (I have to assume) minus any attempt at editing.

It’s bad. It also has tons of glowing reviews on Amazon which absolutely baffles me.

The dialogue is stilted and sometimes downright mechanical. The pacing is hilariously bad (especially for kidlit) with whole tension-less swathes dedicated to the main characters doing nothing in particular except pick up random bits of lore. The voice, which is one of the most essential parts of any kidlit, is dry and didactic. It’s bad!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Getsuya posted:

It’s bad. It also has tons of glowing reviews on Amazon which absolutely baffles me.

I had to search for this book and quickly learned the author is Christian; Goodreads suggested “books by homeschoolers” as a related list. So there’s your answer (probably explains the didacticism too).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh. Oh god.

And the thrust of the story is about all the good rabbits who believe in the good king that got killed starting a secret, fortified community where they teach each other the old ways, waiting for the evil monsters who have taken over the government (and the weak of their kind who sold out to the evil monsters who run the government) to be taken down by the return of their martyred king so they can go back and take over the government.

This...

This is religious right prepper fiction for kids.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I did a bad thing guys:

Stay tuned

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
gently caress me, I didn't realize the foreword had been written by that sack of poo poo who was too racist for Arizona. How much concentrated garbage can one non-RPO book offer?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I purchased and read as much of that book as I could before my husband told me to stop reading it to him. Without a victim it just wasn't fun so I gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

girl pants posted:

Without a victim it just wasn't fun so I gave up.

My true motivation for Let's Read threads.