Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Im convinced Tri-Tip is the perfect Sous Vide meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Tri tip is just fantastic full stop but it is incredible sous vide

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Sous vide or not, it is the superlative grilling meat. Just made I live in the Midwest in an area that is sadly, oh so sadly, lacking the tri-tip cut.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bum the Sad posted:

It would take many hours for a big hunk of meat to cool down from fridge air alone.

Right but ... Who cares? It's still bagged right? Doesn't need to be iced.

ColHannibal posted:

So is vide tri tip is amazing. I have them sitting in my freezer bagged and waiting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Right but ... Who cares? It's still bagged right? Doesn't need to be iced.

If it’s cooked and bagged and not going to be eaten then you need to ice bath because it will spend far too long in the danger zone as it cools, giving any surviving pathogens ample chance to multiply and poo poo toxins all over your meat.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If it’s cooked and bagged and not going to be eaten then you need to ice bath because it will spend far too long in the danger zone as it cools, giving any surviving pathogens ample chance to multiply and poo poo toxins all over your meat.

Is it any worse than cooking food normally, letting it sit and cool on the counter while you eat, and then putting the leftovers in the fridge? I've never had an issue doing that my whole life. Is icing just a case of better safe than sorry?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've seen so many different times and temps for tri-tip. What have you guys been going with?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

fr3lm0 posted:

Is it any worse than cooking food normally, letting it sit and cool on the counter while you eat, and then putting the leftovers in the fridge? I've never had an issue doing that my whole life. Is icing just a case of better safe than sorry?

It is almost zero effort to throw the bag into ice water rather than let it sit on the counter. If it's a large piece of meat and you aren't cutting pieces out of it as you would when serving, it's going to be hot for a long time unless you ice it. Like potentially multiple hours before it's cool enough to put in the fridge, which would be bad. If you always do it that way and you haven't seen a problem then congrats I guess.

E: consider also that the food you're serving can cool via more modes of heat transfer than bagged food. Bagged food can't cool evaporatively. It relies solely on radiation and the weak convection that occurs. Bags are smooth on the outside, which means relatively little surface area for heat transfer. Water has higher thermal mass than air and so can more effectively conduct/convect heat from a bag.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 18, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't usually make or buy ice cubes. I just put the still bagged meat in a bowl or pot, then in the sink under running cold water. Doubt it cools noticeably slower than by ice cubes in still water, perhaps it's actually faster.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I've seen so many different times and temps for tri-tip. What have you guys been going with?

3 hours at 135.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

theres a will theres moe posted:

It is almost zero effort to throw the bag into ice water rather than let it sit on the counter. If it's a large piece of meat and you aren't cutting pieces out of it as you would when serving, it's going to be hot for a long time unless you ice it. Like potentially multiple hours before it's cool enough to put in the fridge, which would be bad. If you always do it that way and you haven't seen a problem then congrats I guess.

This bit just sounds crazy. There's nothing wrong with tossing it directly into the fridge or freezer.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If youre not worried about heating up the other stuff in your fridge/freezer, you are correct.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If the temp in the fridge goes up, it'll just kick on a cooling cycle. You won't heat anything up.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If you try it you'll find that the stuff near your hot bag will be melted/warmed and whatever is near the cold air port (usually the top shelf and maybe the meat drawer) will freeze because of said cooling kickoff.

The meat will freeze faster than if you left it on your counter but it will still take a long time and affect the other stuff in your fridge.

vvv you can never assume you've killed all pathogens. Pasteurized means that statistically only one in a million organisms survived. Some pathogens can go into a cyst form that allows them to survive extreme environments and then they come back 'alive' when conditions are favorable again. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_cyst

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 18, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you cooked a roast or butt for 30 hours the thing is pasturized. There won't be anything left to multiply on the surface of the meat (which will not be the danger zone for long) and definitely nothing inside the meat that would be worth worrying about.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you cooked a roast or butt for 30 hours the thing is pasturized. There won't be anything left to multiply on the surface of the meat (which will not be the danger zone for long) and definitely nothing inside the meat that would be worth worrying about.

Pasteurization isn't sterilization, and though 30 hours is probably pretty drat close, any botulinum spore contamination is still viable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah that means every part of it is safe to eat as soon as it comes out of the cook, not that you can leave it on the counter to cool for hours. You're completely ignoring the danger zone for cooked foods.

quote:

Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone."

Keep Food Out of the "Danger Zone"
Never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour.

Keep hot food hot—at or above 140 °F. Place cooked food in chafing dishes, preheated steam tables, warming trays, and/or slow cookers.
Keep cold food cold—at or below 40 °F. Place food in containers on ice.
Cooking
Raw meat and poultry should always be cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature (see graphic). When roasting meat and poultry, use an oven temperature no lower than 325 °F.

If you aren't going to serve hot food right away, it's important to keep it at 140 °F or above.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah that means every part of it is safe to eat as soon as it comes out of the cook, not that you can leave it on the counter to cool for hours. You're completely ignoring the danger zone for cooked foods.

While I am firmly aware of food saftey protocols having been in the industry for a good portion of my life, nothing will happen in the fridge if you chucked a 30 hour butt into it still bagged.

I mean you are literally in the sous vide thread where we cook beef for 36 hours at 130 degrees. You are advocating that it's just fine to cook food in the danger zone for 3 days and then suddenly it must never be in the danger zone again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I was responding to the “leave it on the counter” idea, of course the fridge is fine. I might have misread or misquoted in which case I apologize for mischaravterizing your point.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bottom Liner posted:

I was responding to the “leave it on the counter” idea, of course the fridge is fine. I might have misread or misquoted in which case I apologize for mischaravterizing your point.

Oh that makes sense. My point was you don't have to ice bath a roast you can just chuck it bagged in the fridge.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

I wasn't trying to say it was too hard. If I cook multiple bags and dont plan on eating them all I'll ice whatever is getting stored. I do big batches of pork chops or chicken and that happens alot. It just occurred to me that if for example I grilled half dozen chops and we only ate 4, I'd end up wrapping the extra in foil and tossing them in the fridge after dinner. People on sous vide forums always stress ice baths so I was wondering if there was an inherent difference when cooking sous vide.

E: consider also that the food you're serving can cool via more modes of heat transfer than bagged food. Bagged food can't cool evaporatively. It relies solely on radiation and the weak convection that occurs. Bags are smooth on the outside, which means relatively little surface area for heat transfer. Water has higher thermal mass than air and so can more effectively conduct/convect heat from a bag.

I hadn't thought of that. I don't do large cuts as often so I wasn't really thinking of how fast it would cool.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

fr3lm0 posted:

I wasn't trying to say it was too hard. If I cook multiple bags and dont plan on eating them all I'll ice whatever is getting stored. I do big batches of pork chops or chicken and that happens alot. It just occurred to me that if for example I grilled half dozen chops and we only ate 4, I'd end up wrapping the extra in foil and tossing them in the fridge after dinner. People on sous vide forums always stress ice baths so I was wondering if there was an inherent difference when cooking sous vide.

I hadn't thought of that. I don't do large cuts as often so I wasn't really thinking of how fast it would cool.

Ah, word. And I wasn't thinking about small pieces.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My understanding is you want to minimize total time in the danger zone. If you're grilling a steak, it spends very little time getting through the danger zone on the way up, so a longer cooldown is nbd. If you're SVing a steak, it already spends a lot of time in the danger zone on the way up, so you don't want it to take forever coming down too.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Anne Whateley posted:

My understanding is you want to minimize total time in the danger zone. If you're grilling a steak, it spends very little time getting through the danger zone on the way up, so a longer cooldown is nbd. If you're SVing a steak, it already spends a lot of time in the danger zone on the way up, so you don't want it to take forever coming down too.

It's really unimportant in the home kitchen. Should you sous vide something and leave it on the counter for 4 days? No.

But you can throw it in the fridge and it's fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, the other consideration is that it will warm up your other food in the fridge.

I don't think an ice bath is necessary, but at least dunk it in some cold water to bring your food down most of the way.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

This bit just sounds crazy. There's nothing wrong with tossing it directly into the fridge or freezer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's really unimportant in the home kitchen. Should you sous vide something and leave it on the counter for 4 days? No.

But you can throw it in the fridge and it's fine.
any piece of meat over a certain width would benefit from icebathing, as air is an awful conductor of heat.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
None of you butts responded to my earlier question about lamb shoulder BUT IN CASE YOU WERE CURIOUS

edit:

IN CASE YOU WERE CURIOUS

6 pound boneless lamb shoulder, rubbed it all over with anchovy paste, salt, ras al hanout, and ancho chile powder. Stuck it in a bag and cooked it 30 hours at 143 degrees. But it in an ice bath for an hour, then took it out of the bag, dried it, and stuck it on a rack in a 475 oven for a half hour. After fifteen minutes I removed it because man does that fat smoke. Tented it in foil for an hour, then carved it. loving amazing, came out like a tender leg of lamb served it as part of a lebanese feast, bunch of pita and lemon sole served alongside standard toppings (also a bunch of syrian cheese)

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 19, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t realize how curious I was.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ready to move up to big boy sous vide, past the normal steaks and chicken parts. What's a good, cheap container for the water? Should I just get a big ol' Dutch oven?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Grem posted:

Ready to move up to big boy sous vide, past the normal steaks and chicken parts. What's a good, cheap container for the water? Should I just get a big ol' Dutch oven?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...21412SFSPP.html

And a lid to cut a hole in.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Why cut?

EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid for Anova Culinary Precision Cookers, Fits 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Corner Mount) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L6PRY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gPkSAbK6336XW

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Grem posted:

Rubbermaid or Cambro 12q with matching EVERIE neoprene sleeve and silicone lid. I have both the hinged and silicone lid and I like the silicone better.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-C...0_&dpSrc=detail
https://www.amazon.com/EVERIE-Colla...ords=everie+lid
https://www.amazon.com/EVERIE-Conta...0_&dpSrc=detail

or

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12SFS...ds=cambro+12+qt
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07689J54B/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07689J54B&pd_rd_wg=6XWxn&pd_rd_r=RJFW0HXB067GKKJBNS2E&pd_rd_w=MF81r
https://www.amazon.com/EVERIE-Neopr...0_&dpSrc=detail

The rest of the awesome big-boy sous vide poo poo is
A rack to go in your tub (https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-VARIERA...Bpot%2Blid&th=1)
A blow torch: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzom...rch+%7Brest%7D+
4oz & 8oz wide mouth mason jelly jars for egg bites, custard, flan, etc: https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Mason-Q...ason+jelly+jars
(Optional) a nice case for your immersion circulator: https://www.amazon.com/Caseling-Ano...+sous+vide+case

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 20, 2018

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Still liking my cooler. Big enough for pork butt, brisket, multiple steaks anything I need. It's efficient and reduces energy usage especially for long cooks. It's expensive right now for some reason. Probably because summer is coming up. I don't know.

Amazon link. Check out all the pictures of other people using it for sous vide. It's the perfect depth for Anovo after you cut a hole in the top. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Can-...coleman+stacker

Camel camel link for price history. - https://camelcamelcamel.com/Coleman-Can-Party-Stacker-Cooler/product/B002BMCLMU

anthropogentric
Sep 7, 2000

Forum Veteran

Feenix posted:

Why cut?

EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid for Anova Culinary Precision Cookers, Fits 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Corner Mount) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L6PRY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gPkSAbK6336XW

I bought one of these for my 48 hour 135F chuck cook I did over the weekend. Once it was up to temp, I ran it with and without the lid to get an idea of power savings.

With lid averaged 105 watts, vs 200 watts without (no other covering device). Seems legit, but I was also shocked at how little power it was using once it got up to temp. It would take somewhere like 600 hours of usage to recoup the cost of the lid, which I'll probably get to eventually. Honestly worth it just to cut down on evaporation loss on long cooks and not have to worry about checking the tub water level every 12 hours.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Feenix posted:

Why cut?

Christ these are $35 CAD on Amazon.ca. gently caress

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any good SVbags (not a vaccuum system) for when I need to go hotter than is safe for seals on Ziplock?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Feenix posted:

Any good SVbags (not a vaccuum system) for when I need to go hotter than is safe for seals on Ziplock?

So they make resealable zip top bags for the food saver which should work you just don’t need to vac them.

I have also seen thick reusable silicone bags but I worry that they won’t compress under the water right leaving air gaps which will cook unevenly.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Feenix posted:

Why cut?

Yo thank you for this. Fits my model perfectly and came just in time for me to test out my 48 hr short rib recipe. Kinda looks baller as hell, like I'm running a science experiment on my rec room bar counter instead of just cooking stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Big Beef City posted:

Yo thank you for this. Fits my model perfectly and came just in time for me to test out my 48 hr short rib recipe. Kinda looks baller as hell, like I'm running a science experiment on my rec room bar counter instead of just cooking stuff.

Happy it worked out for you. :) We all got eachother's backs in here. :)

I made some kick rear end pork loin chops today SV. (And some homemade pesto pasta and an Instant Pot Cheesecake, but I digress...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So we just picked up a vacuum sealer on sale. What are everyone’s tips? Also if we season then souls vide a steak for example could you fridge for the next day and just take it out, let it warm a bit then sear it? Or is this not recommended?