Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

imweasel09 posted:

Part of the issue might be that 25k fleet power for a 150 capacity fleet seems kind of low. Are your ships designs up to date? you should probably be able to get closer to the 60-80k range with that many corvettes

So this is my Contingency 'Counter' Corvette, year is 2439.

I think my tech is up to date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

unicr0n posted:

The thing that immediately sticks out is the evasion is really low, better thrusters and swarm combat computers instead of picket make a lot of difference. I also prefer autocannons over disruptors but ymmv.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

imweasel09 posted:

The thing that immediately sticks out is the evasion is really low, better thrusters and swarm combat computers instead of picket make a lot of difference. I also prefer autocannons over disruptors but ymmv.

Will swap combat computer and see if better thrusters comes up in research options. My standard Torp Corvette uses Ripper Autocannons currently but swapped to disruptors as the advice was to stack shield penetration to deal with Contingency ships.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

unicr0n posted:

:stare: How do you have only tier 2 thrusters in 2439?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

:stare: How do you have only tier 2 thrusters in 2439?

Yeah, this. I'd say look for 80% evasion as a minimum.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I was using NSC2 and noticed some of the accessory pieces like captains ready room, kitchen sink or whatever have insane upkeep and make upgrades take like 20x longer. What's up with that?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
How does enlightenment work? I have two Pre-FTL species in my empire and when I hover over the box to enlighten them, the only thing without a check is "Not possible to technologically enlighten Primitives that are Fanatic Xenophobe." But I checked both of them and one is Xenophile, the other only basic Xenophobe.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

I was using NSC2 and noticed some of the accessory pieces like captains ready room, kitchen sink or whatever have insane upkeep and make upgrades take like 20x longer. What's up with that?

They are for roleplaying/fluff. You are literally throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the ship (spending as much as possible).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thats kinda cool. Can I also throw on hot-bunking crew quarters and super spartan fittings to be a true cheapskate?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Anonononomous posted:

How does enlightenment work? I have two Pre-FTL species in my empire and when I hover over the box to enlighten them, the only thing without a check is "Not possible to technologically enlighten Primitives that are Fanatic Xenophobe." But I checked both of them and one is Xenophile, the other only basic Xenophobe.

that check is based on their government ethics; pop ethics don't matter and can be very divergent from their government ethics. if their government ethics aren't fanatic xenophobe, then something strange is going on.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jabor posted:

That honestly seems fine. Take what you want for yourself, post fleets guarding it, let your allies do whatever until they decide they've had enough.

I guess it's annoying if you want to do any "not during wartime" diplomatic actions.

^ This. As a Pacifist empire whose allies kept declaring war on the only two assholes left in the galaxy I just kept an eye on my borders and did nothing. I agreed to let them go to war, not do the whole thing myself.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Arrath posted:

Yeah, this. I'd say look for 80% evasion as a minimum.

Fixed up my tech, got the next two levels of thrusters and brought my corvette evasion up to 90%.. think it was too little too late though.
Started to get wins against their fleets but it became a war of attrition I couldn't win. They've taken about 30% of the galaxy and I count 36 x 100+k fleets zipping around.

I'm down to only making 300 minerals a month due to lost mines so I'm going to throw in the towel. Lesson for next time is to maybe not expand so much and focus on tech, but still feels like an unsatisfying way to finish a run.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

unicr0n posted:

I countered the contingency with all hull based weaponry: disrupters, arc weapons, cloud lightning, etc.,

Works really well because they have a shitload of shields and armor and half that in Hull.

Also, playing as fanatic purifiers and I’d really like slave modifiers and slave buildings to be allowed for pops im force laboring. I want those extra minerals and less strong holds damnit :argh:

As well, a life-seeded fanatic purifiers is real fun. Your early game is super strong and your mid game is super weak, so you need to kill your neighbors quickly so you can handle your bad tech/tradition hangover.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Horizon Signal is :tviv:ing me all over the place, I wish more Weird Space poo poo happened like this instead of 95% of my anomalies turning up alien merry-go-rounds and space graffiti.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Jesus, you guys weren't kidding about the vassalization wars. I had to eradicate their fleet, occupy every single planet, and get their war exhaustion up to 95% before I have net +1 to the war goals for acceptance.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Strudel Man posted:

Jesus, you guys weren't kidding about the vassalization wars. I had to eradicate their fleet, occupy every single planet, and get their war exhaustion up to 95% before I have net +1 to the war goals for acceptance.

I mean, yeah, you're essentially telling them "You are worth absolutely nothing compared to me, like you literally have no chance to fight back, I can wipe you out of existence with a thought, so submit your entire race and culture to my whims." I don't think winning a space fight and putting boots on the ground in the buttfucktares system is enough to prove that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean, yeah, you're essentially telling them "You are worth absolutely nothing compared to me, like you literally have no chance to fight back, I can wipe you out of existence with a thought, so submit your entire race and culture to my whims." I don't think winning a space fight and putting boots on the ground in the buttfucktares system is enough to prove that.
I don't think puppeting someone really means all that, but okay.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think puppeting someone really means all that, but okay.

I dunno man, vassals:

-automatically join their overlord's wars
-have no autonomy when it comes to foreign policy or diplomatic relations
-cannot colonize new worlds that are outside their border range

Imagine in the future, where humanity controls like 10 star systems, what do you think an alien race would realistically have to do to get us to agree to those conditions?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

I dunno man, vassals:

-automatically join their overlord's wars
-have no autonomy when it comes to foreign policy or diplomatic relations
-cannot colonize new worlds that are outside their border range

Imagine in the future, where humanity controls like 10 star systems, what do you think an alien race would realistically have to do to get us to agree to those conditions?
Destruction of our fleet and alien troops in control of Earth would probably do it. After that point, I'd certainly be thinking "further, obviously-futile resistance would probably just make them angry."

Plus the whole issue of the leadership who would make those decisions being physically in their custody at that point anyway.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 20, 2018

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Destruction of our fleet and alien troops in control of Earth would probably do it. After that point, I'd certainly be thinking "further, obviously-futile resistance would probably just make them angry."

Plus the whole issue of the leadership who would make those decisions being physically in their custody at that point anyway.

I mean there'd be other planets for that leadership to flee to. And the occupation of earth would probably give every human one hell of a mad-on toward whatever rear end in a top hat did it. Like you think the government to of Antares IV would be like "welp, the earth was taken I guess that's it for our galactic ambitions forever. Time to essentially be pets for these horrible space mushrooms."

Edit: I look forward to future updates adding more verbs for occupied and vassalized empires to interact with their owner empires. For now I think the outcome you're looking for would be taking systems with a total war CB white peace and releasing that system as a vassal.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 20, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean there'd be other planets for that leadership to flee to. And the occupation of earth would probably give every human one hell of a mad-on toward whatever rear end in a top hat did it. Like you think the government to of Antares IV would be like "welp, the earth was taken I guess that's it for our galactic ambitions forever. Time to essentially be pets for these horrible space mushrooms."
I mean, I'd again not really go with the whole "pets" thing, nor the "forever," since vassal states can later try to fight for freedom when their overlord is occupied. But yeah, I think the local administrators of the colonies would probably pretty seriously consider bowing down in the hopes of retaining their relative position, when their alternative would be limited to sending nasty words until the alien shock troops come down.

Really, the primary distinction I see between puppeting/vassalizing and outright annexation is that the former specifically doesn't require getting boots on every square inch of ground, conceptually speaking. You strike the capital and co-opt the existing governmental structure, declaring that someone who appears compliant now occupies the executive position. Having to establish military control of their entire territory sounds more like regular old conquest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does occupying a system belonging to your potential vassal carry a higher weight than one belonging to their allies?

Strudel Man posted:

I mean, I'd again not really go with the whole "pets" thing, nor the "forever," since vassal states can later try to fight for freedom when their overlord is occupied. But yeah, I think the local administrators of the colonies would probably pretty seriously consider bowing down in the hopes of retaining their relative position, when their alternative would be limited to sending nasty words until the alien shock troops come down.

Really, the primary distinction I see between puppeting/vassalizing and outright annexation is that the former specifically doesn't require getting boots on every square inch of ground, conceptually speaking. You strike the capital and co-opt the existing governmental structure, declaring that someone who appears compliant now occupies the executive position. Having to establish military control of their entire territory sounds more like regular old conquest.
"Easy" vassalisation should probably wait until there's more soft ways to interact with your overlord and the galaxy. Look at it from a player perspective: what would it take for you, a player, to submit to vassalisation? If the only gameplay option is to sit around saving up minerals for a fleet to rebel with, probably a lot. If being a vassal opens up a bunch of new gameplay options rather than just taking options away, maybe less. Similarly, grabbing a vassal is all upside for a player, so it needs to be hard. If vassals come with downsides or require additional investment after taking then they can be easier.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Splicer posted:

Look at it from a player perspective: what would it take for you, a player, to submit to vassalisation?

It literally only takes the Khan or a Awakened Fallen Empire looking over at me and saying "You want the easy way or the hard way?" While I'm still gearing up. There should be some "is this guy the equivalent of an FE even when you consider my allies?" Check.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Which German-occupied nation in WWII is the closest analogue to a Stellaris vassal?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Which German-occupied nation in WWII is the closest analogue to a Stellaris vassal?

France, probably

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Did they change the Tree of Life event?

I ran into these hippie amoeba "Tree of Life Protectors". I killed them off, but I only get the usual amoeba debris, no ToL juice. Did something misfire or did I botch it up somewhere?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Einbauschrank posted:

Did they change the Tree of Life event?

I ran into these hippie amoeba "Tree of Life Protectors". I killed them off, but I only get the usual amoeba debris, no ToL juice. Did something misfire or did I botch it up somewhere?
I think this can happen if the AI gets the event. You didnt start the event so you cant find the tree.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My new favorite thing is having a fleet of Point Defense Corvettes to fly around capturing all of my opponent's non-station systems. The PD shoot down the missiles that the basic stations fire, so they never take any damage.

edit: reply is not edit. gently caress it I'm leaving it.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Is it me, or is peace kind of boring? I'm just kind of filling out my arm of the galaxy and tech/unity trees. Not a lot going on, not a lot of interesting decisions to make except which tech to research every year. But someone else splatted the exterminator empire next door, so now it's just a big NAP-fest. Theoretically I'm pleased with it, peacenik that I am, but, yeah.
Is there anything to do to shake it up? I picked a pacifist empire, that might've been a mistake.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There are few meaningful non-warfare interactions with other empires so unless you like SimCity in Space (which I do tbh!) peace is boring.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Bobfly posted:

Is it me, or is peace kind of boring? I'm just kind of filling out my arm of the galaxy and tech/unity trees. Not a lot going on, not a lot of interesting decisions to make except which tech to research every year. But someone else splatted the exterminator empire next door, so now it's just a big NAP-fest. Theoretically I'm pleased with it, peacenik that I am, but, yeah.
Is there anything to do to shake it up? I picked a pacifist empire, that might've been a mistake.

It's fun to watch the mineral/Tech/Unity number go up :v:.

Other than that, you can either war a Fanatic Purifier even as a pacifist and their pop will be militaristic, letting you embrace their faction and get off pacifism. That or send a science ship in-n-out of black holes till Horizon Signal event procs and will turn your people into militarist as well.

The latter will cure all boredom realllll fast.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Bobfly posted:

What year is it? The mid and late game crises are designed to shake up the military and political landscape of the galaxy in dramatic ways. I do agree that pacifist is a bit of a trap ethic to take, however, as it cuts out a large chunk of your ability to interact with other empires without really making up for it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

It literally only takes the Khan or a Awakened Fallen Empire looking over at me and saying "You want the easy way or the hard way?" While I'm still gearing up. There should be some "is this guy the equivalent of an FE even when you consider my allies?" Check.

As a followup - in a game where I have already won and am just waiting on the Crisis, I just finished a vassalization hellwar with the last independent normal empire. They had about 25 planets. The war was over before war exhaustion had ticked up more than 10% from time. It seems like we could have skipped a bit of the occupation phase.

On a related note, ground fighting war exhaustion seems incredibly asymmetric - I had 5% from ground fighting as the invader, but the defender had 0%?

McSpanky posted:

I think Albania, Czechoslovakia, or Hungary fit better. They provided troops and had independent governments, but they weren't running their own foreign policy and weren't quite as occupied as France.

Bobfly posted:

Is it me, or is peace kind of boring? I'm just kind of filling out my arm of the galaxy and tech/unity trees.

Yeah, after you get past the interesting exploration phase and the interesting sim city decisions phase peace becomes kind of boring.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pacifist does have its restrictions, but you can change out of it if you want - unless you take inward perfection.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Inward Perfection doesn't prevent you from dropping pacifism at all. It'll be disabled and you'll have a dead civic slot if you do, but it also gets rid of the penalties, and the benefits of having expanded with IP until you want to make your mark on the world more than make up for it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought you could remove inward perfection after start?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought you could remove inward perfection after start?
The wiki may be out of date but yeah it looks like it can be removed after start - other things like Fanatic Purifiers and Mechanist have the "Cannot be added or removed after game start" as the first thing listed.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
So the AI is just borked in latest beta patch? I’m Superior in every respect to every other non-FE empire without really trying and i am definitely not that good at this game. Playing on Ensign

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought everything that changed your traditions was locked.

edit: guess im just hella wrong!

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Barent posted:

So the AI is just borked in latest beta patch? I’m Superior in every respect to every other non-FE empire without really trying and i am definitely not that good at this game. Playing on Ensign
The difficulty changes are brand new so I would not be surprised if they are somehow borked. I had a game with "scaling" on and it stayed difficult, though it didnt help that I was penned in pretty bad, but it meant I couldnt just easily break out. It was tough and I liked it. Though I am not great either.