Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

The main character in the new terrible Cloverfield movie is played by Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

I recognize that name because she was in that horribly lame Tom Hanks movie where he drives a scooter. I wonder how it's pronounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today I met a Topanga in the wild.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I recognize that name because she was in that horribly lame Tom Hanks movie where he drives a scooter. I wonder how it's pronounced.

Goo-goo mm-bata raw. Mostly how it's spelt.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Feb 27, 2018

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Trizden.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ask your doctor before starting Trizden if you have a history of heart disease.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Little girl named Monalisa. Could be worse I guess.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A woman named Savvy on wheel of fortune tonight.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I don't know how it's pronounced and maybe it sounds lovely but I just saw the name Sopheavy and feel bad for the woman

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not really a weird name, really, but you reminded me that one of my students really wants to name her daughter Gioelle--pronounced "Joe-ell"--but because of her mixed Mexican and English family can't figure out how to spell it so they can't mispronounce it. Like, her parents are asking her not to name her kid that because they won't know how to say her name, and I can't think of a way around that one. There are some names that different languages are just going to have trouble with.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yesterday, my (Norwegian) father's GP was unavailable, so he was introduced to a Dr Needley.

He mentioned that it was a pretty unfortunate name for a GP to have (especially when it comes to giving small children their shots), so he was tickled pink when my dad told him that it sounds just like the Norwegian word for "delicious" (nydelig).

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

marshmallow creep posted:

Not really a weird name, really, but you reminded me that one of my students really wants to name her daughter Gioelle--pronounced "Joe-ell"--but because of her mixed Mexican and English family can't figure out how to spell it so they can't mispronounce it. Like, her parents are asking her not to name her kid that because they won't know how to say her name, and I can't think of a way around that one. There are some names that different languages are just going to have trouble with.

Yeah my first name is pretty difficult for most ESL people to pronounce so I took to running with a "eh close enough" approach at around age 8 because it's just easier that way.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I took care of a woman named Fairy on clinicals tonight, and one of the doctors is named Breezy. That's her first name.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Is Joelle not unique enough?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll be honest, I'd just read that as Joel.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bobby Digital posted:

Either way you're not getting a similar pronunciation in both English and Spanish, it's basically a reverse version of the name Jorge.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Bobby Digital posted:

They're not aiming for uniqueness, though, they're going for pronouncability.

I understand their struggle. But I think at that point, you either abandon the name, or accept that it will be pronounced in 2 different ways; kids have no problems adapting to 2 different pronunciations, so this is just about the parents.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tony Snark posted:

Yeah my first name is pretty difficult for most ESL people to pronounce so I took to running with a "eh close enough" approach at around age 8 because it's just easier that way.

One of my cousins is German and he has never been able to pronounce my Welsh name. Most Americans gently caress it up too, and I also got used to it to the point that anytime someone says a similar sounding name I assume they are talking to me.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

One of my cousins is German and he has never been able to pronounce my Welsh name. Most Americans gently caress it up too, and I also got used to it to the point that anytime someone says a similar sounding name I assume they are talking to me.

my son's name is also "Bort"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Istari posted:

I understand their struggle. But I think at that point, you either abandon the name, or accept that it will be pronounced in 2 different ways; kids have no problems adapting to 2 different pronunciations, so this is just about the parents.

Yeah. Before picking Hindi names for her children, my sister made sure her Swiss in-laws could pronounce them reasonably - she wasn't set on any particular name so troubles could be avoided!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm sorry, Llywellylyllyglylyn

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Saw a news story about a woman who gave birth while trapped in a snowstorm. She named the baby Paisley.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ladron posted:

my son's name is also "Bort"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Saw on my baby forums someone who will be naming their son Chord . I now realize they probably mean to pronounce it like a musical chord, but I can't stop reading it as Chode with an r thrown in

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Oh, and another boy name Fox Sardonyx. This was selected after the husband turned down Kylo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Emo much?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I saw someone named “Ariola” on the TV.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Name my daughter Areola and my son Aioli, thanks.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

What's the cultural impetus for these phrase names?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A combination of translated traditional names which are usually whole phrases but only take the first word or two in English, and a cultural tradition of naming kids after current events, your aspirations for their future, or even just things you like.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sweeperbravo posted:

What's the cultural impetus for these phrase names?

Most of the biblical names--David, Joshua, etc--come from phrases, just not in the language you speak. You live somewhere that's spoken the same language for thousands of years, even if it's changed in that time, lots of things end up obvious that wouldn't otherwise.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Most of the biblical names--David, Joshua, etc--come from phrases, just not in the language you speak. You live somewhere that's spoken the same language for thousands of years, even if it's changed in that time, lots of things end up obvious that wouldn't otherwise.

This I did know (I went through a phase of being obsessed with name origins when I was like 8), Aphrodite's response was more along the lines of what was confusing me. Parts of the names being in English (and some not being particularly nice- Goodluck I can understand, Killmequick less so) was mostly what I was angling at. I'm sure imperialism has a lot to do with it, I was just wondering if there was a good succinct cultural explanation for it.

I remember cracking myself up when I found out my huge uncle's first and last names both meant "small" in different cultures.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ran into a child named “Dire” which seems like a tough row to hoe for life

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Had a white, normal-seeming middle-aged woman at the bar a few days ago whose first name was Jantz. What the gently caress.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

poop dood posted:

Had a white, normal-seeming middle-aged woman at the bar a few days ago whose first name was Jantz. What the gently caress.

At least you didn’t meet her twin sister Jabugslife

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

poop dood posted:

Google says this is a surname from Schleswig, Germany that goes back to the days of the Holy Roman Empire, back when people were first starting to adopt surnames. It was one of those modified parent's name type deals, from Jen, Jan, Jon or some other John derivative.

How it came to be a woman's given name is unclear, but it's a real name.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

At least you didn’t meet her twin sister Jabugslife

lfmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Watch out for their little sister, Jabeemovie.