Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

This is a sexy as gently caress ...evil ent dude (?).

Thanks! This is a Treelord from AOS. I took a ton of risks with this model. It is my first time doing any airbrush work after the model was base coated and washed. He is not done. Need to finish/repair leaves, finish his loincloth, and base him. To date this is my best work!

Booley posted:

Yes, that one does look better. I think you could make it even a little better still by pulling your front light and right side light a bit further away so you get a little more directionality. I don't know what your phone is doing with white balance but it turned it blue.

Yeah the sunny mode doesn't seem like it works well with these lights. I will try repositioning as suggested. I had lasik a year ago with bad side effects So while taking the pictures I can't accurately review them as my eyes are washed out for a while when super bright light hits them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Philthy posted:

Finished up Misaki finally. First time I tried using the Vallejo water effects. It's not as easy as it looks trying to get it to stay on a base like this.

While this is loving sick in general, I think the water shouldn't be blue. Water isn't blue. Water is clear, and it's blue in the ocean because it's a big mirror for the sky.

The water effect on the base, the thin layer of water over the stone, is awesome, and the faint splash around the foot is ace. The giant cartoony blue pillar of water stuck to her foot seems totally out of place. If it was all cartoony blue, or if it was all realistic clear, either way this would be spectacular but the middle ground between them seems really awkward.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thanqol posted:

While this is loving sick in general, I think the water shouldn't be blue. Water isn't blue. Water is clear, and it's blue in the ocean because it's a big mirror for the sky.

The water effect on the base, the thin layer of water over the stone, is awesome, and the faint splash around the foot is ace. The giant cartoony blue pillar of water stuck to her foot seems totally out of place. If it was all cartoony blue, or if it was all realistic clear, either way this would be spectacular but the middle ground between them seems really awkward.

Ya gotta work with what you got. I tried blending the blue out of the kick from the clear water.

Sadly the water part is not transparent, it's the main support of the entire model. It's sort of a magical water kick if I understand their powers correctly. So... I could dry brush white to tone it down a bit if anything. I could also go over the clear water with a level of blue mix like where I blended. It should reactivate and blend it from clear to more of a faint blue.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 20, 2018

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Thanqol posted:

While that's true, it's pretty tough to make a piece of opaque plastic clear.

Blue is also an accepted color for water in animation.

I think his Misaki looks great, and he did a great job working with what he had.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Philthy posted:

Ya gotta work with what you got. I tried blending the blue out of the kick from the clear water.

Sadly the water part is not transparent, it's the main support of the entire model. It's sort of a magical water kick if I understand their powers correctly. So... I could dry brush white to tone it down a bit if anything.

Yeah I can see what you were going for with the blend, and it kind of works but doesn't get all the way there. If you were going to do a blend like that it would almost work better if it was some obviously artificial colour, or collection of colours, rather than two contradictory styles of portraying water.

And just to emphasize, the yellow is unbelievably good.

Floppychop posted:

While that's true, it's pretty tough to make a piece of opaque plastic clear.

Blue is also an accepted color for water in animation.

Of course it is - just not in the same frame as clear water. It's an unfortunate intersection of a realistic style and an animated style. For sure it's great overall, I just think those two elements have a regrettable clash.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I could maybe get it to this.

Though, I'm not sure if that would look any better. I think the water from the kick being a stark contrast looks better?

Opinions?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Philthy posted:

Though, I'm not sure if that would look any better. I think the water from the kick being a stark contrast looks better?

Opinions?

I rather it as it is already. Great work!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I agree, it's really nice as is. You could put some white froth on the edges of the water spout to give it more energy/action, but I definitely like how it looks now. You've taken a scheme that relies heavily on primary colors and made it really vibrant and eye-catching.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Philthy posted:

New book day.

I've been creeping on your book collection. How are those different painting books you got? I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Philthy posted:

Opinions?

I love the hypothetical version with the blue tint across all the water, that just comes together perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Of course usual matter of personal tastes etc.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Crossposting a question from the 40k thread, but does anyone know where to bulk order 3/32" x 1/16" magnets?

Love using these guys for swapping arms/weapons, but $14 for 50 magnets is ridiculous, and I can't find them bulk online anywhere.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

I've been creeping on your book collection. How are those different painting books you got? I'm thinking of getting one.

I wish I could give a good review for either, but I've been painting with all my free time since I got them.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Keep it the way it is. It looks great

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Duct Tape posted:

Crossposting a question from the 40k thread, but does anyone know where to bulk order 3/32" x 1/16" magnets?

Love using these guys for swapping arms/weapons, but $14 for 50 magnets is ridiculous, and I can't find them bulk online anywhere.

I usually buy from K&J Magnetics, but they don't seem to carry that specific size.
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=1

Edit: They have 1/10 x 1/16 which is nearly the same size. $0.09 each. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DH11

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 20, 2018

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Felime posted:

I have not. I HAVE used Golden high flow acrylics, bought at blick, and they have done really well for me. If I don't get my airbrush too close for the pressure I'm using, they go straight through the airbrush without too much thinning and tweaking, and stick very well and stay where I put them.

I've looked at the vallejo ones, but the sticker shock for some of the colors kinda put me off that when I already have plenty of good paints.

I just started airbrushing and my buddy bought some Golden High Flow. It's nice but it feels like I'm just paying a lot for thinner. Looking back and forth at the Vallejo vs the equivalent Golden, the price could go either way depending on the color. I bought four Vallejos and they all cost less than a similar Golden size and color.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Duct Tape posted:

Same place where you can bulk order aything: aliexpress.com

If i converted your fractions of weirdo units correctly you can get a thousand magnet in the same ballpark (3×1mm) for 10$.

I can't vouch for quality yet as i'm currently waiting on a shipment of 4000 magnets and 3000 steel pins for a terrain project. I'll report once they arrive.

This also gives me an excuse to crosspost said terrain project prototypes here :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bistromatic posted:

Same place where you can bulk order aything: aliexpress.com

If i converted your fractions of weirdo units correctly you can get a thousand magnet in the same ballpark (3×1mm) for 10$.

I can't vouch for quality yet as i'm currently waiting on a shipment of 4000 magnets and 3000 steel pins for a terrain project. I'll report once they arrive.

This also gives me an excuse to crosspost said terrain project prototypes here :v:

Every time I look at this I notice something I missed before. This time it's that the shell-hole pond has what appears to be roots from the surrounding trees/grass. Goddamn.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that sinkhole is sex on a stick, it looks so drat good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is it legal to make casts of miniatures you have bought if they are for personal use?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

goodness posted:

Is it legal to make casts of miniatures you have bought if they are for personal use?

I mean probably not, but who's gonna call you on it?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

w00tmonger posted:

I mean probably not, but who's gonna call you on it?

I don't really have any intentions to do it, it came up in a discussion and I couldn't find much online. Copyright/trademark law is hard to navigate

susan
Jan 14, 2013

goodness posted:

Unless you're reselling them, you're pretty much good, copyright law really only applies to stuff like this when it's being distributed.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

goodness posted:

It's a civil dispute, not criminal, so definitely not "illegal". Hypothetically could a company sue you for damages caused by the loss you've caused them?

Yes. But even if succesful, the court fees would be huge, reputation hit would be awful, judgement amount likely tiny.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Just cast your pieces. Nobody will care

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Don’t ask, don’t tell and I doubt anyone will even notice.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Make sure they're good casts, though. I played against a guy that casted Exocrines at home that he made out of a plaster. They looked like he free-formed them out of play-doh then hit them with a blow torch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I just did my first two-part cast. It was, uhh, mixed results. I've cut about a third of the way through what appeared at first to be a completely solid block of useless silicon and now the center bit is starting to be able to peel apart without cutting. Maybe I can salvage this mold but for future reference I guess make the thing almost wet with mold release?

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03300-Si...d+Release+Spray

I used this stuff and sprayed it until everything had a layer then let it dry. Guessing I didn't use enough?

edit: Also every drop of polyurethane I poured in came right out the bottom of the mold. I had a mat there to catch it so just means it's kind of annoying and a learning mistake but what do I do for that, get a small vice and clamp it together with a little tension?

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 22, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
No that should have been enough. I lightly dust mine

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Was that creepy but awesome magnetized kingdom death set posted in here?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

So I just did my first two-part cast. It was, uhh, mixed results. I've cut about a third of the way through what appeared at first to be a completely solid block of useless silicon and now the center bit is starting to be able to peel apart without cutting. Maybe I can salvage this mold but for future reference I guess make the thing almost wet with mold release?

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03300-Si...d+Release+Spray

I used this stuff and sprayed it until everything had a layer then let it dry. Guessing I didn't use enough?

edit: Also every drop of polyurethane I poured in came right out the bottom of the mold. I had a mat there to catch it so just means it's kind of annoying and a learning mistake but what do I do for that, get a small vice and clamp it together with a little tension?

Spraying it on and letting it dry should have been enough. I've done a couple molds, and I generally tried to make it obviously damp everywhere before letting it dry, but not dripping, and I only had occasional bits that needed cutting.

You do need something to hold the mold together. If the sides are flat, some foamcore and some rubber bands around it should be plenty. You need very little actual pressure on the mold, but it needs to be even, and there needs to be some, otherwise the weight of your resin pushes it apart.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I did see other people had similar complaints about that particular silicon release spray. It seems to be misting the spray too much and not enough of it hits the target and sticks. First time ever doing a two part cast so I didn't think anything of it but I did see a ton of it floating off while I was spraying. Also the center of the mold peeled apart without having to be cut, where I'd guess most of the spray went. Ah well, learning process. Now I know about how much I should put on there so hopefully next time I can do better. Started with something super simple and small specifically for this reason, figured I'd screw up everything possible on the way there.

Will have to try cardboard cut to size and some rubberbands to hold it in place. Really quite hopeful to get the molding process working well, there's lots of crazy custom things I want to make and try through this process.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

goodness posted:

Was that creepy but awesome magnetized kingdom death set posted in here?

Yeah, month or two back.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

Yeah, month or two back.

Found it

https://imgur.com/a/ZXdGC

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to make my own transfers? Or is there a way to use stickers and then put a clear coat over them to make them last as long as paint would? Trying to think of how I'd put some "bumper stickers" on a vehicle.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

LifeLynx posted:

Is there a way to make my own transfers? Or is there a way to use stickers and then put a clear coat over them to make them last as long as paint would? Trying to think of how I'd put some "bumper stickers" on a vehicle.

Yes, but I haven't tried it myself. The inkjet wet transfer paper is about 1 USD a sheet on amazon.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I’ve done a ton of waterslide decals using an inkjet, it’s easy. I bought 10 sheets a couple years ago and still have a couple left, although I was mostly doing banners for flags and shoulder decals.

The only trick is when you have white in your design you have to use the white paper and cut the design out very closely. Avoid white and you can use clear paper and just cut a circle around your design.

Paper, spray acrylic sealer, microsol, microset. That’s all you need.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Thinkin about taking the dive and getting airbrush stuff. To pair with a Badger 105, are either of these (1, 2) good enough to last long enough to figure out if airbrushing is for me?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Isn't the go to recommendation still the TC-20T? That's like 20 bucks more, and has a tank.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah though it's the same as this so you can get it cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush-Compressor-Multipurpose-Tattoo/dp/B01M33C8MV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Oh rad, glad I asked. Thanks