Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Does the book show the negatives of The Oasis and the protagonist rebel against the whole system & lead a real-world revolution with other resistance fighters? 'Cause the trailers hint this is a thing.

Yeah its glossed over about how being in a VR world is bad for society, but it's mostly played off as all the cool kids are now hooked into this device, and no, there's no real world revolution that goes on. It culminates with a virtual battle involving Transformers, Star Wars, BTTF and an anime you've never heard of.

It ends on "yeah, so an entire generation devoted their lives to learning the minutiae of a culture 50 years ago and that somehow magically made a guy the owner of the internet" and now he's a bazillionire who made loving wesley crusher and the moron corey doctrow the presidents of the web

DiggityDoink has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

So what are the odds of the movie doing a Starship Troopers, and relentlessly mocking the source material?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

steinrokkan posted:

Don't besmirch the good name of Donald Duck, which is a cerebral, polished experience.

Fixed that for you.

My kid made me read Masters of Doom by that Romero guy that invented Doom. I imagine that it is high prose compared to this other guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only Doom literature is the comic book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Such Fun posted:

So what are the odds of the movie doing a Starship Troopers, and relentlessly mocking the source material?
Seems to be a dark horse bet. People are starting to see it, and unless the satire is so sharp that critics and casual viewers miss it on the first paas, odds are it is sincere.

Plus it is Spielberg. The guy is not known for cynicism.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Cline's attempt at pulling a Stan Lee-style cameo and looking real bad doing it.

Also still amazed that a guy saw this comic, thought to themselves 'they're loving right!' then spent 4 years writing that crap.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Can I also say that RP1 doesn't focus on the minutia of 80s pop culture, it focuses on a specific narrow band of 80s pop culture that a white middle class American boy would like. Nothing about the cool things that were happening elsewhere in the world, and in different genres to the ones he watched/consumed.

And has been mentioned before, the references are made without any understanding of what made the thing cool or fun or good or important in the first place. It's just "hey, d'you remember this 80s thing? I know you do. Well I remember it in more detail than you, therefore I am your better."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BrigadierSensible posted:

Can I also say that RP1 doesn't focus on the minutia of 80s pop culture, it focuses on a specific narrow band of 80s pop culture that a white middle class American boy would like. Nothing about the cool things that were happening elsewhere in the world, and in different genres to the ones he watched/consumed.

And has been mentioned before, the references are made without any understanding of what made the thing cool or fun or good or important in the first place. It's just "hey, d'you remember this 80s thing? I know you do. Well I remember it in more detail than you, therefore I am your better."

The book spends a lot of time also worshiping nerdy stuff from the 70s, 90s, and 00s, and acts like it doesn't stick out from its main message of "all 80s, all the time" like a sore thumb. The book isn't about 80s nostalgia, it's about Ernest Cline's personal nostalgia.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So it's a personal vanity project made without any understanding, satire, or competence.

It's basically The Room.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Is it possible that the movie might be better than the book because they won't have the time to fit all of his jerking off over knowing about 80's things into the movie? Sort of like how American Psycho the book (published in 1991, featuring a serial killer who was obsessed with keeping up appearances of being successful, and including lots of popular culture from the time, like Huey Lewis and the News (the song "Hip to be Square" was talked about but not an actual part of the soundtrack released for the movie)) had huge swaths reading like a fashion catalog, and that only came through a little bit in the movie? It'll still probably be just jerking off with "I love the 80's" (Which ran on VH-1 from December 16, 2002 until December 20, 2002, and featured many C-list celebrities and comedians and featured their enlightening commentary on the 1980's as seen through someone who was aware of it and presumably enjoyed it.(It was based on a British Version of the Show, but the guy who made the video game I'm obsessed with didn't care for that version, and I agree)) but it might be fun to watch.

Jesus Christ, how does he do that?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Plus it is Spielberg. The guy is not known for cynicism.
I'm guessing Spielberg's 80s works are, if not specifically, then at least generally part of the pop cultural sector RP1 references. You'd have to expect him to specifically satirize the kind of nostalgia he's made his own career from.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the best part is nerds getting upset over how other nerds appreciate their favorites wrong. I'm lolling like motherfucker over here let me tell you :haw:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So it's a personal vanity project made without any understanding, satire, or competence.

It's basically The Room.

It's Twilight for middle aged white American guys.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Such Fun posted:

Spielberg and 80s nostalgia, so it'll be as sincere as can be

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another thing on RP1 is there a token nod to "girly" 80s stuff? Like She-Ra and My Little Pony?

Or is that stuff not important enough for the hero to have memorized?

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Another thing on RP1 is there a token nod to "girly" 80s stuff? Like She-Ra and My Little Pony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPMJwHrWFU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bwahahahahahahahahanahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahayayayqyayayayahahaha.

It’s possible that Transformers and Gundam are the things referenced in the book with the most appeal to women, and that’s only because I know ladies who wants bone anime pretty boys and Starscream.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's bad mary sue wish-fulfillment fiction, but instead of having one iota of creativity and having cool stuff it's literally about this fuckstick's self-insert character being rewarded for being exactly what he is. it's a hella flashy masturbatory participation fanfic trophy

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

You posted:

It troubles me that there are people who are so horny that they will give away $5 on average to something that doesn't exist.
You've not heard of Star Citizen then? $5 is peanuts.

quote:

As of March 19th, 2018, the project has raised a total of $180,442,172 USD

The game is still largely a collection of disconnected scenarios. It's been called "the most expensive game never played".

quote:

The game's developers have attracted criticism for continuing to raise funds enthusiastically while failing to meet project deadlines. From the outset, Chris Roberts, the game's lead developer, pledged to treat every customer with the same respect as a publisher. However, he has been late to disclose major events like an engine change and missed release estimates.

The technical feasibility and the ability of the developers to produce the game has been called into question by game developer Derek Smart.[99] In August 2015, he sent a demand letter to Cloud Imperium Games asking for accounting records of the firm, a release date, and a refund option for all backers no longer willing to support the game. CIG's co-founder and general counsel Ortwin Freyermuth characterized Smart's claims as "defamatory" and "entirely without merit".

quote:

On December 27, 2016, Star Citizen was the recipient of the Wired's Thanks for Nothing, Videogames: 2016 Vaporware Awards.

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Mar 20, 2018

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This owns.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Pro click.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cable Guy posted:

You've not heard of Star Citizen then? $5 is peanuts.

The game is still largely a collection of disconnected scenarios. It's been called "the most expensive game never played".

Don't forget that the fanbase is so rabidly invested that it's pretty much accepted that there will be suicides if and when it fails.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that the fanbase is so rabidly invested that it's pretty much accepted that there will be suicides if and when it fails.
Probably.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Monty Python? Star Trek? Matthew Broderick? Child, please. There you sit, on your bed filled with stuffed toys. I know you're just an immature little girl, and yours is a humor channel, yes? But seriously, folks. (A cultural reference.Google it.) The first Star Wars film debut in 1977. The same year I graduated from high school.
So try to catch up, dear! We're waiting for you. And while you're Googling, look for "The Millennium: Begin." Their entire inaugural album is free on YouTube. I think you'll like it.:)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Re: RPO, it's worth noting that the :krad: inventor of OASIS, James Halliday, is 67 when he dies in 2039; Ernest Cline will likewise be 67 in 2039.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope he won't.

Sleepy Sheep
Jun 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896

This is a great summary of RP1, in 58 seconds.

You
Oct 6, 2009

If nothing was changed in the movie except for using this as an intro, I'd probably watch it.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I can't remember if it was here or in the cute thread, but does anyone have that short vid of the skiier dragging her husky behind her, and he only gets up when other people pass by?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Bwahahahahahahahahanahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahayayayqyayayayahahaha.

It’s possible that Transformers and Gundam are the things referenced in the book with the most appeal to women, and that’s only because I know ladies who wants bone anime pretty boys and Starscream.

Gundam was huge with girls

"What I want modern day Gundam fans to understand is that Gundam wasn't nurtured by the PlaModel enthusiasts. It was young women who first came to the after recording studio, and Gundam is a work that began with their support. And it was a work that had no connection to the popularity of Gundam PlaModels. So I think the most important thing is creating a work that will attract those kind of girls to it again. I don't think movies as an entertainment industry can succeed without touching on that kind of fundamental portion."

“The very first fans of the original Gundam were young women. Definitely not the PlaModel enthusiasts. With both Gundam and Raideen, of the first fans to be active, 90% were girls. Among a gathering of 1000 fans, about 100 were boys. Around when the first cour ended, young women began to gather to the after recording studio. It took until much later for male fans make an uproar, around the time series got canceled. I thought: You’re late to the party!”

"When the movies were screening, we had many male fans who got into Gundam via Gunpla come to see it. Meanwhile, the girls who had been fans since the TV series aired got together to create their own world via fanzines. The fans, never interacting with each other, existed on separate planes."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We can hope

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

I think the best part is nerds getting upset over how other nerds appreciate their favorites wrong. I'm lolling like motherfucker over here let me tell you :haw:

I just like making fun of stuff in current pop culture, especially on this forum based around making fun of stuff, and RPO is garbage that's basically been shoved in my face nonstop for the last year and probably at least the next few months so I'm going to have some fun with it. Sorry if that's hard to understand.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Wow my mum just called me and told me Steven Spielberg wants to make a movie out of your post!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Woebin posted:

This owns.

I just watched her review of Justice League. Absolutely savage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Okay, not to continue the dogpiling on RP1, but this particular one kind of sums up what's so off-putting to me: from everything I've seen of RP1 (and I admittedly haven't read it), I don't get the impression that the main character, or Cline for that matter, actually like the stuff they're referencing. It's just knowing trivia. Great, you know the name of an Atari game - do you have any memories associated with it? Does it make you feel a certain way? Can you even say if it's good or bad? Or is it just a name to toss on a list of "things I'm aware of"? Like, there's plenty of nerdy poo poo I'm a fan of, but I could actually talk about why I like it and what it means to me, rather than just recite a bunch of names or references like a walking Wikipedia article. And it's not even like those things are inherently bad; something like Futurama's Star Trek episode is chock-full of in-jokes and references, but it's also a legitimate love letter to the series and tells you why the characters and writers are so attached to it. There's a genuine emotion behind it.

Like I said, I haven't read the book, so for all I know the rest of it has more than a surface-level acknowledgement of the things it name drops, but this passage, and the car one, and the one where he just lists names of shows and movies for a page all just feel so empty. I've heard RP1 called nostalgic, but nostalgia is an actual emotion and at least indicates that someone likes a thing. This just feels like a weird self-congratulatory trip about how many nerdy things Cline can name.

Anyway, here's a funny picture that only 80s kids will remember:

I think that's definitely a thing, it doesn't seem like anyone is actually having fun with these references they make, it's like a nerd cram school. Somewhat related, I was playing Watch_Dogs2 earlier and that's the most tryhard game ever with the nerdiest millennials arguing about stupid bullshit, but it felt completely different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZaQaPoa4R8

Like, they actually seem to be enjoying what they're talking about and, in the end, they know it's bullshit. It's just references over references, but they aren't worshipping the material like Cline's characters do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

Like, they actually seem to be enjoying what they're talking about and, in the end, they know it's bullshit. It's just references over references, but they aren't worshipping the material like Cline's characters do.

The difference between that and RPO, is WD2 engages the audience in the bullshit by assuming they're familiar with the references and just chatting like they all know it without a "As you know" situation. The only time it gets the characters explaining stuff is when it's something obscure like the 52Hz Whale. And even then, it's to a character that doesn't know about it, so the explanation flows fairly well in conversation.

RPO, on the other hand, just forces a smug multi-paragraph analysis of every single aspect of each reference upon the audience like they've never possibly seen or heard of anything from the 1980's at all. Because surely the largest reader base of the book isn't going to be people who're familiar with the era, that'd be silly.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference between that and RPO, is WD2 engages the audience in the bullshit by assuming they're familiar with the references and just chatting like they all know it without a "As you know" situation. The only time it gets the characters explaining stuff is when it's something obscure like the 52Hz Whale. And even then, it's to a character that doesn't know about it, so the explanation flows fairly well in conversation.

RPO, on the other hand, just forces a smug multi-paragraph analysis of every single aspect of each reference upon the audience like they've never possibly seen or heard of anything from the 1980's at all. Because surely the largest reader base of the book isn't going to be people who're familiar with the era, that'd be silly.

That dialouge actually appears quite well written. I'm almost certain that I had a similiar discussion with my friends in my early 20s.

I guess you would appreciate it more if you're at least familiar with the concept of Aliens v. Predador, but the dynamic doesn't demand it. The lighthearted tone makes it believable as a conversation and you wouldn't need an indepth knowledge about what they're talking about to get the gist of it

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

All the good Donald Duck stories were written by Italians though.

How does it feel to be so wrong on something? Barks/Rosa canon for life, plus the handful of minor artists who respect the said material all day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ready Player One.

Discuss.

Take all the time you need.