Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

First home buyers get up to 30k
Olds get up to 300k per person

I'm sure that's what you were pointing out but I wanted to type it out anyway

I was going to say it's probably only 150k of tax write off, since you're only getting 50c tax free in the dollar, but then I realised it's per person, so assuming most people are in couples, it's 300k per household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

what a great way to try and make houses more expensive in this slowing market

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Malcolm Turnbull granted Tony Abbott extra travel entitlements for the use of chauffeured cars in Sydney after replacing him as prime minister, according to documents obtained by Guardian Australia."

End of the age of entitlement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gross

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

15k a year is 1153.85 a month. Or roughly 5 times what the average millennial is going to have on hand after rent and bills.

Gonna be great for trust fund kiddies though,

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Does that first one mean you can now use super to buy property? Because :allears:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
using your super to buy property would be great for me and my partner, as we could use my super to buy a house because I plan on dying before I reach retirement age

terrible for everyone else who is going to live though

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I've worked probably approximately median wage jobs over 15 of the last 20 years and if I withdrew every cent in super it still wouldn't make a deposit (or even half a deposit) on the median house price in Melbourne.

It's a decoy.

The government furiously while the boss walks by hoping they don't notice you're hammering garbage into the Windows search bar.

I guess they passed it though because with everything else going on that they've gotten away with why the gently caress not.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

froglet posted:

So folks, a television producer is asking me if I'd be interested in talking to them about the gender wage gap since I shared a story somewhere public about getting paid less than a dude for the same job.

I feel like I should say yes, but I also don't really want to put myself out there because I feel like this might be setting myself up for getting myself thrown under a bus.

Thoughts?

If it's for a programme on SBS or the ABC, I'd say go for it if you can guarantee your safety career-wise.

Any of the commercial stations? There's no way it's anything other than a hit piece on women.

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
Google “FHSS” for information on contributing money to your Super fund and then ‘releasing’ it when you’re ready to purchase your first home.

Cliff notes: Contribute a maximum of $15000 per year and a maximum of $30000 over all years to your Super fund. It’ll get taxed at the standard 15%. When you’re ready to ‘release’ the funds, you’re taxed at your marginal tax rate (+ Medicare levy) minus a 30% offset. You also get to release the growth of those contributions (maximum of 4.8% or whatever the current SIC rate is). Basically you benefit from having a tax offset on your earnings.

Fun part: if you’re saving (like I am) and are looking to buy later this year, you probably already have $15000 in savings. Make a non-concessional contribution to your Super and file an ‘intent to claim tax deduction’ on your contribution. Once July 1 hits you can release the funds, and you’ll be better off by roughly $2000 than if the FHSS wasn’t introduced.

Oddly, the FHSS is less useful for people below the $37000 income bracket because the available tax offset isn’t fully utilised.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Paracetamol posted:

Google “FHSS” for information on contributing money to your Super fund and then ‘releasing’ it when you’re ready to purchase your first home.

Cliff notes: Contribute a maximum of $15000 per year and a maximum of $30000 over all years to your Super fund. It’ll get taxed at the standard 15%. When you’re ready to ‘release’ the funds, you’re taxed at your marginal tax rate (+ Medicare levy) minus a 30% offset. You also get to release the growth of those contributions (maximum of 4.8% or whatever the current SIC rate is). Basically you benefit from having a tax offset on your earnings.

Fun part: if you’re saving (like I am) and are looking to buy later this year, you probably already have $15000 in savings. Make a non-concessional contribution to your Super and file an ‘intent to claim tax deduction’ on your contribution. Once July 1 hits you can release the funds, and you’ll be better off by roughly $2000 than if the FHSS wasn’t introduced.

Oddly, the FHSS is less useful for people below the $37000 income bracket because the available tax offset isn’t fully utilised.

Hello are you a wizard

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005

JBP posted:

Hello are you a wizard

I’m not sure I get your reference.

Yes, the FHSS isn’t the answer to housing affordability, but for people in my specific position it’s an extra $2000 for a deposit with little effort.

Really I want a recession to happen and the wankers with 10 investment properties to go bankrupt and have to fire sale their properties so that I can buy a place to call my own. And gently caress negative gearing off for existing properties too. Oh and guillotine the rich.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Paracetamol posted:

And gently caress negative gearing off for existing properties too. Oh and guillotine the rich.

100% with you on both of those.

If you’re not contributing to new housing stock why the gently caress is there a tax incentive attached. It’s madness.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I mean I'm going to take this free money, thanks.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If it's for a programme on SBS or the ABC, I'd say go for it if you can guarantee your safety career-wise.

Any of the commercial stations? There's no way it's anything other than a hit piece on women.

Channel 9, sadly.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

froglet posted:

Channel 9, sadly.

yeah, nah.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So, if there's a major housing market crash and banks are foreclosing on properties left, right and centre, what happens to the people who are renting in those properties who have to find a new place to rent, cough up bond and do this in a market where suddenly there's a real shortage of rental properties available in the short term?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
From the team that brought you ACA and sunrise,

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, if there's a major housing market crash and banks are foreclosing on properties left, right and centre, what happens to the people who are renting in those properties who have to find a new place to rent, cough up bond and do this in a market where suddenly there's a real shortage of rental properties available in the short term?

The renters get hosed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Paracetamol posted:

Really I want a recession to happen and the wankers with 10 investment properties to go bankrupt and have to fire sale their properties so that I can buy a place to call my own. And gently caress negative gearing off for existing properties too. Oh and guillotine the rich.

I agree op, but I want it to happen before the election, so the LNP truly earn the much deserved ire for being lovely at fiscal management rather than being able to pass the buck yet again.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

DancingShade posted:

The renters get hosed.
That's basically been my point to people who go around saying "I really wish we'd have a major housing market crash so all these properties can flood the market". If you're renting it's just wishing someone would come along and kick you out onto the streets basically.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

CrazyTolradi posted:

Maybe they go to market with rental agreements intact, because the bank can swipe the rental income on the property during that period? There are people who will buy a property despite an existing lease arrangement, probably.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

That's basically been my point to people who go around saying "I really wish we'd have a major housing market crash so all these properties can flood the market". If you're renting it's just wishing someone would come along and kick you out onto the streets basically.

Renters are already getting hosed now, at least the other way leads to boomers going bankrupt and the banks having to sell the houses to someone to make back costs, and that someone could easily be renters who suddenly find their dollar of tomorrow worth twice that of today.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Also during a crash, those with real capital will gain the most.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Paracetamol posted:

I’m not sure I get your reference.

Yes, the FHSS isn’t the answer to housing affordability, but for people in my specific position it’s an extra $2000 for a deposit with little effort.

You need to include a clause to only allow it to be claimed on a new build on a property once every 15/20 years or if the density increases.
Otherwise you have a perverse incentive to bulldoze the residual value (both financial and environmental) in relatively recent existing dwellings over building legitimate new housing stock.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Renters are already getting hosed now, at least the other way leads to boomers going bankrupt and the banks having to sell the houses to someone to make back costs, and that someone could easily be renters who suddenly find their dollar of tomorrow worth twice that of today.
Getting hosed now but having a roof over your head is a million times better than being forced out onto the streets. Take this from someone who's been homeless previously, it loving sucks and you can't fully comprehend how bad it is until you've experienced it yourself.

Zenithe posted:

Also during a crash, those with real capital will gain the most.
This is also something I bring up in these sorts of discussions, it truly only benefits people who are in a position to buy up when the bottom completely falls out from under the market. Why get 12 properties now when the prices aren't going to go up much more when you can get 18-20 after when prices WILL go up and at a much higher rate compared to the previous few years as the market recovers.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

CrazyTolradi posted:

While that's true, the price of rent closely tracks the cost of a (new) mortgage on a given property. So the short term is another moving day but in a crash the rents will drop as the new buyer have smaller capital outlays to cover to make up their costs.
The peak buyers will hold out as long as they can for the old rents, but that can only go on for so long until they are forced to sell or accept a loss.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Paracetamol posted:

Google “FHSS” for information on contributing money to your Super fund
Google thinks I'm more interested in frequency-hopping spread spectrum radio transmission than first home super saver schemes. I guess they've figured out I'm in the wrong demographic to ever own a house.

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

Google thinks I'm more interested in frequency-hopping spread spectrum radio transmission than first home super saver schemes. I guess they've figured out I'm in the wrong demographic to ever own a house.

Go past the first item returned in the search.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/Super-housing-measures/First-Home-Super-Saver-Scheme/

Edit: nvm I’m thick; sorry.

Also, apologies about hoping for a crash. I hadn’t thought about the renters (there was more bloodlust for boomer tears). Agreed, it is the people who are already rich that gain the most from a crash.

And fair call on the clause for negative gearing only on a particular patch of land every X years.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

norp posted:

While that's true, the price of rent closely tracks the cost of a (new) mortgage on a given property. So the short term is another moving day but in a crash the rents will drop as the new buyer have smaller capital outlays to cover to make up their costs.
The peak buyers will hold out as long as they can for the old rents, but that can only go on for so long until they are forced to sell or accept a loss.
You're forgetting the time those properties are on the market they aren't available to rent out, meaning a drastic drop in rental availability.

And the main reason to worry about this kind of scenario is that you know the state and federal governments will argue with each other over who is to blame and who should fix it while nothing actually gets done.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I'm not sure what the rules are like in other states but in Vic the idea that wealthy homeowner goes bankrupt = tenants immediately kicked out because new owner is just not true.

Tenants Union Victoria posted:

Just because the owner is selling, it doesn’t mean that you have to move out of the property. Your tenancy agreement still remains in place and has to be terminated in the proper way.

If you have a current fixed term tenancy agreement you cannot be required to vacate before the end of the fixed term. If the property is sold while you are still living there, the new owner purchases the property subject to your tenancy and takes over the rights and responsibilities of your previous landlord. This means the existing terms and conditions of your agreement still apply (including the amount of rent that you pay, how and when you pay it, and the expiry date of the fixed term).

If the landlord wants you to vacate, they must give you a 60 day Notice to Vacate, stating the reason (ie the property is being or has been sold with vacant possession). The landlord must give you the notice within 14 days of signing the contract of sale, or if the contract of sale has any special conditions attached, a Notice to Vacate may be served within 14 days of the last of these conditions being met. If you have a fixed-term lease, the last day of the notice cannot be before the expiry date of your fixed term.

https://www.tuv.org.au/advice/your-landlord-is-selling/

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Whitlam posted:

I'm not sure what the rules are like in other states but in Vic the idea that wealthy homeowner goes bankrupt = tenants immediately kicked out because new owner is just not true.
That covers owners selling (which Mith and I recently had to deal with), however that doesn't cover if a bank repossesses the property, which the TUV states as follows:

quote:

28-day notice to vacate by mortgagee
If there is a mortgage over the rental property that was entered prior to your lease, and the mortgagee (usually a bank) becomes entitled to possession of the property, or to sell the property, the mortgagee can give you a 28 day Notice to Vacate.
In most cases, tenants may be able to attend the possession order hearing, and seek to delay the time before when the warrant to evict is executed by the police. The Tribunal can grant up to a maximum of 30 days before the warrant can be purchased.
If you are forced to vacate the rental property because of a Notice to Vacate by the mortgagee, you may be able to claim compensation from your landlord. Advice should be sought in these matters.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Fair enough, and I know a month isn't a lot of time to find a new place, especially if there are complicating factors (e.g. disability, pets, location requirements, etc.) but my point is that it isn't like homeowner goes broke = tenant's out on the street the next day.

I'll totally accept this is speculation (:v:) but the majority of mortgagees are banks. In the event of a major economic upset resulting in swathes of people defaulting, "kicking out renters who are paying rent on the property in full and on time" is not going to be top of their priorities.

But that said, point taken, distinction recognised.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The problem is that a major housing crash usually goes hand in hand with a general recession, and if that happens renters are going to lose their jobs too and be unable to pay their rent.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm torn about wanting a recession on the LNP's watch vs the ALP. Unless it's right on the cusp of an election the LNP will almost certainly use it as an excuse to go full austerity and give everyone a proper fisting, while at least I trust the ALP to be competent enough to stave off the worst of it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If a little hardship is what finally encourages people in Australia to eat the rich, then so be it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

If a little hardship is what finally encourages people in Australia to eat the rich, then so be it

Enough people are sufficiently dumb that the media (owned by the rich) would convince them it was the fault of some other group.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Except if there are any lessons to be taken from other parts of the world it is just as likely to encourage people to eat the muslims

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Gold Coast City Council will be offering free wi-fi to visitors at next month's Commonwealth Games, but people using Facebook to log in to the service will have their data mined by council for tourism marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DancingShade posted:

Enough people are sufficiently dumb that the media (owned by the rich) would convince them it was the fault of some other group.

Just look at how much dog whistling is going on about refugees and immigration at the moment so the government can have something to cover their arse when things go pear shaped.

• Locked thread