Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I cant be arsed to try and break vaal hazak's dumb tiny head anymore. now I just speed kill his dumb rear end and am probably getting fangs in the same amount of time it would take for me to deliberately go for his idiot face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I find it's drat near impossible to get a full-break on any elder dragon other than Xenojiva. It feels like by the time you've severed Nerg's tail or broken even one of its horns the jerk's limping away.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I just solo Hazak and spam Arc Shot for days to wreck all of his parts. Still not the best return rate on Fang+, but it works :)

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

I find it's drat near impossible to get a full-break on any elder dragon other than Xenojiva. It feels like by the time you've severed Nerg's tail or broken even one of its horns the jerk's limping away.

I break Nergigante's horns regularly by spamming Spread Shot 3 into its face.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Magus42 posted:

Recommendations for a good all-around Lance, Gunlance, and Switch Axe to play with to try them out?

e: I do have the Bazel Switch Axe if that's decent at all.

A lot of people use the Royal Burst Gunlance for doing the slam, full burst combo. Plus poison is a decent status as a bonus. The different shelling types lead to different play styles, but that is an easy combo to learn with.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Baron posted:

A lot of people use the Royal Burst Gunlance for doing the slam, full burst combo. Plus poison is a decent status as a bonus. The different shelling types lead to different play styles, but that is an easy combo to learn with.

Hm. It would take me 11 more Rathian Spike+ to make that :suicide:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Feels like you pretty much have to play solo if you want to get breaks on them

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Magus42 posted:

Nerg's lance plays pretty much the same as the royal burst, you just skip the burst fire.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Hunting horn's buffs are cool and good, but once you get those done you switch to doing damage and not giving a gently caress about the buffs. You don't have to keep making the specific buffs you want all mission long. Just bash in the monster's face and then follow up with a decent recital when there's an opening.

Yeah. This is why they implemented that cue system. If you can't work in single recitals into your combos, line up a good four or five songs and play them as the monster is leaving or whenever you have an opening.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Vaal's a monster that really wants some part breaker skill ranks when going for fangs.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Astroniomix posted:

Nerg's lance plays pretty much the same as the royal burst, you just skip the burst fire.

I'll probably deal with it and make the Royal Burst, the burst shelling style sounds fun.

e: oh, I forgot I had a lance 1 away from the Nergigante one; is that a decent lance?

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 20, 2018

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is there any nergi weapon you can't classify as decent?

MICROSOFT INCEL
Jun 11, 2017

Republicans posted:

tonfas

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Going back to the bowchat from a few pages ago, I just wanted to note that arc shot is actually insanely good. In solo play. Don't use it online unless you and your group know what you're doing. But solo it's probably the strongest KO tool in the game. When you combine reliable KO's with the insane DPS the bow is capable of doing, you get super quick hunts. Don't nerf yourself, use arc shot if you play solo. Here's a video that shows why it's good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIThik9kuUs Notice that despite my terrible 1:30 AM hunting skills, I killed that Teostra in less than 4 minutes. It's easy to use and super strong.

Magus42 posted:

Recommendations for a good all-around Lance, Gunlance, and Switch Axe to play with to try them out?

Nerg, Nerg, and Nerg.

If you want a bit more diversity, some good all-rounders are:

-Lance: Odo, Bazel, Workshop.
-Gunlance: Rathian, Bazel, Vaal, Zorah.
-Switch Axe: Diablos, Bazel, Teostra.

There's plenty more good weapons in those categories but those would all serve you well. Generally for all-around you want raw or status weapons. Raw is a bit better since monsters do have varied weakness to status but not as extremely as with elemental damage.

Republicans posted:

Not really. None of them are really the best at anything, aside from maybe the GL being the best physical GL, although that's debatable. They're basically always good though, particularly against elders. The other nice thing about them is they are very skill-agnostic. They don't need handicraft, they don't need crit element, they don't really need anything. They're just good with whatever you want to use on them. The first thing I did when I uncapped my HR was farm up all of the Nerg weapons and I don't regret it one bit. Having the full gamut of weapon types available to me without having to make specific sets was really nice and helped keep the game fresh until I was able to make all those specific sets (I'm up past 60 unique sets now).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Okay what's the gently caress KIRIN loadout? Because gently caress tempered Kirin forever. Oneshot mechanics are real fun! (They aren't.)

Edit: throw together this set which let me survive one Thunderproof mantle-less bullshit lightning bolt.

Bone Helm B
Ingot Mail A
Ingot Gloves B
Vespoid Coil A
Dober Greaves A
Blessing Charm 3

Thunder Resist 3 + 50 HP + Divine Blessing, eating for Ele Resist L because I'm not taking any goddamned chances. I finished the quest and now I never have to fight the tempered version of that loving rear end in a top hat ever again.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 20, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The desire sensor works both ways, but always sensing your direction and working to oppose it.

I finished off Kushala and Xeno after a few days gap and was considering what I want to do from here since the RNG really takes over from this point. Decided to farm Nerg/Teo gems for some stuff I had wanted to make.

Third Nerg investigation gives 2 Nerg Gems (carve, silver reward), 2 Horns (but the pubbies and I had broken its horns well before it slept), and best of all: an Elementless Jewel! This is off a normal, non-Tiered investigation right after Xeno.

I went back and thanked Nergi with that gem plus Diablos Tyrranis II after eating for Attack Up (L), which adds up to a monstrous 1019 raw damage or 283 true raw damage! I don't even know if I'll use one of his gems to upgrade the Nergal Lacerator to the Thorns, the Diablos is just too strong.

I will have to keep playing.

TL;DR: gently caress you, desire sensor.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 20, 2018

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I did the challenge to fight a tzi-tzi ya ku and it took 25 drat minutes. Need 4 for A. What the heck. What the heck? Guy wouldn't die. Squirrley gently caress!

Does it always have multiplayer HP even if you're alone?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I did the challenge to fight a tzi-tzi ya ku and it took 25 drat minutes. Need 4 for A. What the heck. What the heck? Guy wouldn't die. Squirrley gently caress!

Does it always have multiplayer HP even if you're alone?

Edit: ignore since this is Arena related. vvv

No, HP only goes up right before someone finally enters your game. There's a message when that happens "difficulty adjusted for multiplayer".

Hit Tzi in the head, a lot. Capture it to save having to remove its last 25% HP.

Capture is always the way to go other than for Elders. It's easy to do mid fight as well, just drop the tranq bombs first while standing next to it then drop the trap right under its feet when it's not moving. The tranqs take a few secs to take effect and last a while so it's more reliable to do them first when doing it mid fight I've found.

The first red pod drops at 30% health left, the second at 20%, so do it after the second or some damage after the first. Don't bother waiting for it to go to sleep which is much later and after it's run all the way back to its lair, that's a lot of time wasted.

Edit: if you mean Arena, then none of this applies of course. Haven't tried it yet, so I dunno about HP values there.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 20, 2018

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

v1ld posted:

No, HP only goes up right before someone finally enters your game. There's a message when that happens "difficulty adjusted for multiplayer".

Hit Tzi in the head, a lot. Capture it to save having to remove its last 25% HP.

Capture is always the way to go other than for Elders. It's easy to do mid fight as well, just drop the tranq bombs first while standing next to it then drop the trap right under its feet when it's not moving. The tranqs take a few secs to take effect and last a while so it's more reliable to do them first when doing it mid fight I've found.

The first red pod drops at 30% health left, the second at 20%, so do it after the second or some damage after the first. Don't bother waiting for it to go to sleep which is much later and after it's run all the way back to its lair, that's a lot of time wasted.

Almost the entirety of this post is wrong in the context of it being an arena challenge, where you can't capture and the monsters always have multiplayer hp. :cheeky:

I saw a video yesterday of a guy getting gold solo on the azure rathalos with SnS. Blew my mind

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Almost the entirety of this post is wrong in the context of it being an arena challenge, where you can't capture and the monsters always have multiplayer hp. :cheeky:

I saw a video yesterday of a guy getting gold solo on the azure rathalos with SnS. Blew my mind

Yeah, realized that right before you posted. Didn't see the word "challenge" for what it was. :downs:

Was doing the math on Diablos Tyrranis II with Elementless and Attack Up (L). Using only true raw values without the display multipler. Base is 230 true raw, which is very high since most Rarity 7 and 8 weapons typically cap around 200-210. Elementless adds 10%, 23 more. Attack Up (L) from food is a huge 30 true raw added on top taking you to the ridiculous 283 true raw total.

Attack up from food is even better if the weapon's true raw is low, like a status weapon. It seems to be a flat 30, which is like a 15% boost for most final tier weapons and 13% even for Tyrannis.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 20, 2018

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Sometimes when you fish with flash pods, you get a nice surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTiBTz6coIo

Pilot down!

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

After not really having the game "click" for me, I've now boosted my way from HR2 to the Coral Highlands (what a beautiful zone) in a few evenings and having switched from the glaive to the heavy bowgun. I quite like the bowgun, though my performance is really varying at this time: some hunts I take the monster down with big numbers while evading everything, some I end up wasting loads of ammo and almost dying more than once.

What determines what investigations are available to you, and do the old ones time out at any point or just get pushed out of the journal once it fills up?

Also I guess I need to go hunt that flashbang raptor now and I have not had a good track record with the fast, nimble types so far :saddowns:

What I am ultimately trying to say tho is that the Game is Good.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Boy I hope the pickle hammer/HH are good and rarity 8 because I got 3 goddamn heroic hammer stones. If not I got 9 regular ranged stones. And two heroic.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bushmeister posted:

What determines what investigations are available to you, and do the old ones time out at any point or just get pushed out of the journal once it fills up?

You get investigations by picking up tracks and bits monsters leave behind and by breaking parts of monsters in fights. These are semi-random in how they trigger, not every part break or track picked gives you an investigation.

Which investigation you get is also random, but within the same tier as the event that gave you the investigation. So a low level monster like Great Jagras won't give you an investigation for an Elder Dragon, rather someone on the same difficulty tier like Kulu Ya Ku.

Once you get past the 250 investigation limit, the oldest get dropped from the ones you haven't selected.

Investigation rewards are the best source of the harder to farm items in the game. A gem that is a 1% carve from a monster will typically have a 6% chance as a silver reward item and a 13% chance as a gold reward item from an investigation. That's a huge increase - 7-8 tries to get a gem on average is much better than 100! So pick up those tracks and scars and whatever else you find.

I suggest you manage your Investigations, like you do your Bounties. I go in there every 3-5 hunts and scan the new ones, deleting everything that doesn't have gold rewards or which seem too much work. I will keep silvers if I don't otherwise have good gold rewards for that monster or if it's 3+ silvers. I rarely have more than 150-175 total investigations doing this. I also select any I want to be sure to keep - like the two Teostra ones that are the only ones I have for it.

Investigations are the bread and butter of your farming. Optional quests are not worth running over and over for items generally, I only use them to farm investigations. So manage them, it's worthwhile.

Edit: I always share my Investigations by SoSing them to be a helpful citizen unless it's a special situation. Folks may not have the gold reward investigations you lucked out on, share the love. Also worth filtering for investigations when farming for rare stuff if you don't have any of your own. Exceptions are 1 and sometimes 2 cart investigations or sometimes 2 player limit, where it's easier to solo always, and some specific monsters that cart more than others like Kirin and the Diablos where it's much easier to solo if you're short on investigations for them.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 20, 2018

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Have they said anything about reworking investigation management? It's currently tedious as hell.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
What are you finding tedious about it? It's just 250 investigations listed at a time, 50 you select that stay active until you either finish them or abandon them, and looking at whatever new ones you get whenever you go back to astera. You don't have to do anything but selecting or removing active investigstions.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Better sorting and filtering by monster/level/tier would be awesome.

Another peeve: why didn't they sort the skills list by name in armor filtering? Such a small but annoying thing in an otherwise cool UI.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If I decide, let's say, to poke though and find my Great Jagras investigations so I can clear the weekly bounties or because I've decided on a whim I need the Jagras CB or whatever, I'm flipping through all my unselected investigations manually with no filter options. While reward rarity is displayed prominently on the quest select menu it's buried in the investigation management menu. poo poo like that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basically, "show me all the investigations I have for this one monster, sorted by level and rewards" would be great to have.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If you switch to the tabs that show only registered or only unregistered investigations it does sort them by number of stars, which helps, but I agree that a filter would be nice.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you switch to the tabs that show only registered or only unregistered investigations it does sort them by number of stars, which helps, but I agree that a filter would be nice.

It would be really nice if the quest select menu behaved in the same way, too

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I understand that, like if it's about supernova time and Teostra suddenly rears up into the air I might flash that poo poo too, but the post was like "I just learned it wasn't a good idea to do it."

This may come as a surprise to you, but some people aren’t born knowing the mechanics and best tactics of Monster Hunter. We have to learn them. For poor souls like us, that means at any given moment there are tons of aspects of the game we haven’t yet given much thought to, so we don’t really know how it works.

My first weapon is the insect glaive. Because of that, I haven’t given much thought to flash pods at all. The slinger in general is sort of a mystery to me because I already have a ranged set of attacks and I’m still concentrating on learning to manage my kinsect buffs. When a monster goes airborne I don’t flash it, I leap in the air and slash at it like a maniac. And then mount the loving thing. What happens after that can be a little hectic and hard to interpret so I hadn’t worked out that sometimes people were flashing my monster while I was on top of it. Lucky for me, that random person had changed their auto bark and so some things clicked together about what was happening in fights.

This is probably a longer answer than you expected to your question.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Am I the only one who uses the jagras switch axe? I really like the exhaust phial gaining it's elemental overload way faster than power phials. And it exhausting monsters all fight is hilarious.

Course it looks like poo poo, and I feel bad every time I use it.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
So Gaijinhunter probably uses Waifu LITERALLY. That might be worse.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Magus42 posted:

FYI the great jagras switch axe is super powerful and pretty easy to craft. Ignore the hidden sleep element and slot in a non-elemental boost gem.

E: of course I missed this post:

Sprite141 posted:

Am I the only one who uses the jagras switch axe? I really like the exhaust phial gaining it's elemental overload way faster than power phials. And it exhausting monsters all fight is hilarious.

So yeah, you're not the only one, it is a very good weapon.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've been trying to get 1 more Xeno tail to finish my bow and I'm like 4 kills in with nothing, but I've gotten 2 more gems, so that's nice I guess...I keep trying to get his tail with my DP, but he moves just enough that it's difficult. The other plus is that I have like 250k now because I just sell off the other mats since I don't care about them.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Sprite141 posted:

Im using demon axe but will give this a try. What decos are you using? Anything to boost the exhaust phial?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Magus42 posted:

Barroth Lance is dope as gently caress. It's basically the Diablos equivalent, toss in an Elementless gem and go to town, plus it has the added advantage of 3 easy Augment slots, which is why it's actually better than the Workshop Lance. Toss an Affinity, Damage, and Health Regen on it and with the gem it'll have the highest raw damage of any Lance with only -10% affinity, which isn't much, AND the health regen as a bonus.

You can also get Free Element using the Mixed Set that Arrekz posted up yesterday to make a pretty great paralysis setup to use in groups. It's just all around the most efficient Lance you can make.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Magus42 posted:

Got any Rathian investigations? I ground out the Spike+ with the Gunlances on that tree, and it was pretty decent training since I knew I had to chop that tail in every fight (it's a near-guaranteed carve from the tail.)

But yes, this is me also recommending the Royal Burst.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

LowPartz posted:

So Gaijinhunter probably uses Waifu LITERALLY. That might be worse.

I get that he lives in Japan and obviously has a decent grasp on Japanese, but he does that horrible thing where he randomly picks some words to try and pronounce full-on Japanese for no reason. Listen to him say 'Odogaron' in as strong of an accent as he can for absolutely no reason. Drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Run around looking for "??? Rathian" footprints for 4 hours sure is a fun game objective