Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flavivirus posted:

It goes on sale tomorrow, so you won't have long to wait :D

!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone posted about Imp of the Perverse yet? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ndpaoletta/imp-of-the-perverse-a-jacksonian-gothic-american-h

It looks potentially interesting and it's by the guy who designed carry and World Wide Wrestling, so it's probably going to be a pretty decent game.

I wish the shipping wasn't so bad, though. :(

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Me and my wife enjoy it enough that I backed the expansion. The game does have its issues, being a little fidly and the dinosaurs you create are all sort of similar but they are adding more varied Dino’s with the expansion. The expansion is also adding blueprints which gives each person a goal for building their park a specific way which is nice because after a few playthroughs it can feel like you are building the same thing over and over. Basically they heard all the criticism for the game and listened and are trying to fix those things with the expansion.

I think the park building and management is fun, the amount of variation with workers and other buildings you can build is nice. It’s nice having varied objectives every game to work towards but you don’t have to do them you can just try to build the best park you can and both strategies are viable. Also you can use the plot twist cards which with change something at the start of the game for everyone. The theme comes through really well and I know it’s very bright and 90’s which might turn some people off but I love it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

malkav11 posted:

You know, I'm not one of those people who typically complains about Kickstarter being used by established publishers, but Munchkin is literally the money hose that keeps Steve Jackson in business. There is zero reason it needs to be Kickstarted.

SJ Games isn't making it, they licensed Munchkin out to IDW, who I assume are kickstarting it to try to put a dent in the costs of licensing both that and ninja turtles before sending it to retail.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Where does Retrocausality fit in this release schedule?

I'm basically waiting for art right now, so whenever that's in :v:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kai Tave posted:

If you buy two sets of Skull with distinct art you can play with more, though it does draw the game out some.

"buy" Skull? You can play it with a deck of cards.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

"buy" Skull? You can play it with a deck of cards.

Thanks for the reminder, Rutibex. Do you also have a copy of Skull made of cereal boxes and clip art, for when you're tired of standard playing cards?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

homullus posted:

Thanks for the reminder, Rutibex. Do you also have a copy of Skull made of cereal boxes and clip art, for when you're tired of standard playing cards?

yeah we call it count chocula and boo berrys

Now what the gently caress are you on about?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
we're just talking about economical ways to save money on expensive board games that anyone can do from the comfort of their own den.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why do that when you can spend hours retheming games and having them sent out to PNP makers for professional-looking stuff?

(someone please retheme caverna already...)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what retheming does caverna need? it's a perfectly cute game about dwarfs

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

what retheming does caverna need? it's a perfectly cute game about dwarfs

I keep suggesting themes for it in the board game thread every few months. Gundam space colonies making space bases (cave) and then controlling earth (farm) territories. Post apocalyptic zombie survival horror game. Post apocalyptic mad max dystopia. Terraforming Mars but better.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Panic at the Dojo is almost a year late, with no update since Sept.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey everybody! I just launched a Kickstarter for my game, "Dead in the West"!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...in%20the%20west

Dead in the West is a storytelling-heavy game set in the Mythic Old West - think old cowboy movies or pulp novels. There's a heavy emphasis on individuality and player empowerment, along with a number of quirky on-theme mechanics (like being to force suspicious NPCs into Quickdraw shoot-outs, and completing daring feats to earn points that could save your characters life later on). Skills, abilities and character progression are special - your character evolves and changes based on what you do in the game rather than simply progressing down a tree. If your character is a pacifist who uses a whip, they might learn how to snatch guns right out from people's hands with it. If they insist on cooking despite being bad at it, they may gain the ability to make a stew that never grants the same bonus twice. If they're perceptive and ask a lot of questions about people, they may learn how to give folks the stink-eye, estimating their HP and abilities through through harmless small-talk.

I'm really excited about the game, and hope you'll all consider giving it a look. It's only been up a couple hours but is about 10% funded already, so I'm hopeful.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Calico Heart posted:

Hey everybody! I just launched a Kickstarter for my game, "Dead in the West"!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...in%20the%20west

Dead in the West is a storytelling-heavy game set in the Mythic Old West - think old cowboy movies or pulp novels. There's a heavy emphasis on individuality and player empowerment, along with a number of quirky on-theme mechanics (like being to force suspicious NPCs into Quickdraw shoot-outs, and completing daring feats to earn points that could save your characters life later on). Skills, abilities and character progression are special - your character evolves and changes based on what you do in the game rather than simply progressing down a tree. If your character is a pacifist who uses a whip, they might learn how to snatch guns right out from people's hands with it. If they insist on cooking despite being bad at it, they may gain the ability to make a stew that never grants the same bonus twice. If they're perceptive and ask a lot of questions about people, they may learn how to give folks the stink-eye, estimating their HP and abilities through through harmless small-talk.

I'm really excited about the game, and hope you'll all consider giving it a look. It's only been up a couple hours but is about 10% funded already, so I'm hopeful.

how does the definitely-not-racist alt-history confederacy figure in, though

Serf
May 5, 2011

So this game looks pretty cool: Gears of Defiance

It's selling itself as a steampunk game with the prospect of actually being pretty punk since the core activity of the game is fighting against an evil Empire. The players are a Family of rebels, vigilantes and miscreants who work together to create plans and fight the Empire's various Means of Control. It even has an Alignment Matrix (lol) for tracking your character's political ideology:

It uses a FAE-like system of Approaches, where you assemble a dice pool based on the rating of the Approach you choose through the fiction. 4-6 is a success and you want as many of them as you can obviously. The black-and-white art is quite charming and I kinda like what this game is going for. I think I'll keep an eye on the campaign and see if it still appeals to me when I get paid.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Calico Heart posted:

I take you have to opt-in at the moment to get a preview? I'm curious, but the KS page only speaks in generalities.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
why did they flip the left-right axis of the alignment chart and why are is communism tyrannical?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

how does the definitely-not-racist alt-history confederacy figure in, though

This is a difficult topic to tackle and one I've spent a lot of time thinking about. I wanted my players to have a good time, and the setting is, explicitly, a kind of heightened-reality romanticised old west rather than a historical one. It really isn't my place to impose limitations on the fun players can have fun by constantly bringing up their characters ethnicity, sexuality, gender etc all the time - that's not the reason anybody is there. My friendgroup is predominantly nonwhite and when we played, this was always something we understood - that said, I know that having an official book is different from just playing with people you like. I also don't really want the game to be pretending that the Old West wasn't an incredibly cruel, racist and unfair place at the very beating heart of which was a struggle over institutionalised dehumanisation. When it comes to actually playing the game, however, my personal stance is that it's always better to make people feel comfortable and have a good time.

I want to address this in the Rulebook, though ultimately the game itself is just a series of mechanics. The "setting" is again explicitely malleable (and most of the westerns I've been inspired by take place in a sort of nebulous "post civil war" nowhere). If you want to play a game that way, it's at the discretion of the GM, though I think they're shouldering an incredible responsibility not to be an rear end in a top hat to their players in that case.

Please appreciate my struggle as a white british nerd to properly address this.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I take you have to opt-in at the moment to get a preview? I'm curious, but the KS page only speaks in generalities.

£6 gets you a 15-20 preview!

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 20, 2018

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Impermanent posted:

why did they flip the left-right axis of the alignment chart and why are is communism tyrannical?

I'll bring that up to the creator; it is likely I'll be the layout artist for Gears of Defiance.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Impermanent posted:

Because modern politics shouldn't define everything forever? They didn't flip anything?

During an actual revolution, there are plenty of different kinds of radicals trying to change the next generation of their country and beyond. A religious zealot is just as radical as a hard-line communist if the empire at hand believes strongly in another religion and another form of government. A communist is not a radical if the empire used to be communist but has been taken over recently by anti-communists. The left-right of that graph is only in comparison to the empire at hand.

It's not a good idea, but it's because tracking alignment is either too rigid to feel natural or too loose to feel like it has any point. Not because of some imagined "they're calling the communists tyrants!!!".

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

thelazyblank posted:

Because modern politics shouldn't define everything forever?

the "left-right, authoritarian-antiauthoritarian" political compass is also not very informative about modern politics for that matter!

Calico Heart posted:

This is a difficult topic to tackle and one I've spent a lot of time thinking about. I wanted my players to have a good time, and the setting is, explicitly, a kind of heightened-reality romanticised old west rather than a historical one. It really isn't my place to impose limitations on the fun players can have fun by constantly bringing up their characters ethnicity, sexuality, gender etc all the time - that's not the reason anybody is there. My friendgroup is predominantly nonwhite and when we played, this was always something we understood - that said, I know that having an official book is different from just playing with people you like. I also don't really want the game to be pretending that the Old West wasn't an incredibly cruel, racist and unfair place at the very beating heart of which was a struggle over institutionalised dehumanisation. When it comes to actually playing the game, however, my personal stance is that it's always better to make people feel comfortable and have a good time.

I want to address this in the Rulebook, though ultimately the game itself is just a series of mechanics. The "setting" is again explicitely malleable (and most of the westerns I've been inspired by take place in a sort of nebulous "post civil war" nowhere). If you want to play a game that way, it's at the discretion of the GM, though I think they're shouldering an incredible responsibility not to be an rear end in a top hat to their players in that case.

as a fellow white british nerd, this seems like a very reasonable response to my dumb shitpost

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

But the wording of the chart itself stymies that style of thought. In the revolutions of 1848, an neo-absolutist monarchist is a normal government supporter in Imperial Austria, but an extreme reactionary in Orléanist France. Unless they have specific empire for the game, they need to make those labels even more fluid to account for the different varieties of evil empires.

If you're going to go with a mid 19th century point of view, I'd replace the two axes with Economic Equality(Communism <- -> Capitalism) and Political Rights (Absolutism <- -> Direct Democracy), and that would still miss out on the surprising amount of artisans who still supported guilds.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Calico Heart posted:

£6 gets you a 15-20 preview!

Consider using the GM advice section to discuss the realities of the period, where you chose to change things, why you did it, and how gms might be respectful of real historic issues.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Calico Heart posted:

You could hire a black civil war expert to give you the lowdown, maybe even write some material for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flavivirus posted:

It goes on sale tomorrow, so you won't have long to wait :D

Turns out I backed it anyway, and have been missing Kickstarter email. Yay!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Golden Bee posted:

This is a great disappointment. I was greatly looking forward to it, but with no news since last year it seems dubious that we'll get anything actually released. Has anyone seen Gnome around lately or have they ghosted?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They've had to actively rewrite the entire game system, and it's still being worked on actively according to their twitter.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Gnome mentioned working on it a few days ago in a chat room, too. They've released quite a bit of other things they were working on over the last few months, so they're visibly busy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LeSquide posted:

This is a great disappointment. I was greatly looking forward to it, but with no news since last year it seems dubious that we'll get anything actually released. Has anyone seen Gnome around lately or have they ghosted?

Gnome released a new playbook for Fellowship a week or two ago, they're definitely not ghosted.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Legacy 2e is a dope game for dope people and if you missed the kickstarter you should jump on it immediately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mechanically it's fine but nothing amazing; a few different drafting phases and that's about it. Very little player interaction. The systems are a good reflection of the theme and the KS components are great.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SpikeMcclane posted:

Gnome mentioned working on it a few days ago in a chat room, too. They've released quite a bit of other things they were working on over the last few months, so they're visibly busy.

I absolutely believe that panic will beat far west, even if gnome literally dies.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NinjaDebugger posted:

I absolutely believe that panic will beat far west, even if gnome literally dies.

I should be able to do this much, at least.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I should go post something on the Kickstarter just to mention Panic at the Dojo isn't dead. The post from September is still pretty much correct - the money ran out for the KS a little while ago, but I have all the art its going to need, and I am mostly done writing it. However, I made two mistakes in that post.

1, I underestimated how much I had left to do. It was a lot more than I thought! I got back to it and the first like 5 chapters are pretty much done. However, formatting work is a LOT of work for this game, a lot more than I expected, and as I was doing formatting I kept finding small ways to improve formatting, which meant going back to fix all the earlier formatting, or to add another paragraph to the rules to patch up a hole in the system, and so on, and so forth. I underestimated how much more work a crunchy game is. And that, combined with my depression + ADHD mental wombo combo, makes it very easy to start working on it, get nowhere, and stop working on it to work on something else instead. Like, for example, my second point:

2, I became the main editor for the Six Feats Under podcast for a while, and I put a LOT of work into audio editing. Audio editing is way more time intensive than you'd expect if you want it perfect, and I think I overdid it on making the audio perfect. Shortly after that September update I was editing weekly 1-2 hour episodes, for all of our shows, and that obligation ended up eating a lot more of my creative energy than I'd thought it would. I've since dialed back to editing one episode every 2 weeks (and still sometimes miss those deadlines, hah).

I have been in roughly the same spot in the book since mid-January. I need to finish the formatting and the write-ups on three more Archetypes, then write up the character creation rules, and I'll at least have a mostly complete PDF to update backers with. And I've been trying to finish those two chapters for over 3 months at this point, with the idea that I'll update the KS once I have that draft to show, but that dream was just a little farther out of reach than I thought.

A 6 month update gap was definitely not the plan, time is just very difficult to keep track of. But I still basically want to finish writing those two chapters and release a playable PDF to work off of ASAP, so I think I'm gonna take everyone's curiosity as a kick in the pants and go do that.

Even after that, though, the game won't be done just yet. I've got like 50 example enemies to write up and format, including 7 Backer Bosses and around 10 other Bosses I've had planned. I need to make some Arenas to have cool fights in. And I actually need to properly write out a Skills chapter from scratch, since the one I had in the last draft was wholly inadequate but I never really ever wrote a better Skills system. There is an Idea of a Skills system for non-combat stuff, but its never really gotten beyond that, so that's still in the way.

The September update, where I claimed I had the book nearly done, was a horribly inaccurate boast brought on by the illusions of a nearby finish line. I've been releasing some other stuff since then in part because its much easier to write Fellowship content than it is to work on PatD. This project is kind of becoming a white whale, and I hope it doesn't stay one.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 20, 2018

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Consider using the GM advice section to discuss the realities of the period, where you chose to change things, why you did it, and how gms might be respectful of real historic issues.

I'd also like to see something about Native perspectives in this new wild west game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

slap me and kiss me posted:

Legacy 2e is a dope game for dope people and if you missed the kickstarter you should jump on it immediately.

My play group is going wild with anticipation of the Castlevania mode pdf to get finished. They stuff so far is fantastic

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

My play group is going wild with anticipation of the Castlevania mode pdf to get finished. They stuff so far is fantastic
You mean the JoJo mode, don't you.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the loving fort here: Castlevania?

Tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Slimnoid posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the loving fort here: Castlevania?

Tell me more.

quote:

Rhapsody of Blood is inspired by Castlevania, Bloodborne and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Once every generation, a castle filled with blood and magic and monsters intrudes on the mortal world. Certain bloodlines are able to sense its arrival and arrive from all over the world to explore the castle's depths. Each bloodline's there for their own reasons: to search for magical artefacts, to protect the world from the monsters swarming out of it, or to defeat its dark regent and seize control of the realm for a generation. If someone defeats the regent they get to say how mortal society changes over the next generation and how their bloodline prospers. If the Regent's able to bring their dark ritual to completion, however, great ruin falls on the bloodlines and the mortal world.