Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
In the latest two episodes of Rob's Basement he playtests the post apocalyptic game PunkApocalyptic rpg.

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/robsbasement/episodes/2018-03-05T17_22_11-08_00

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/robsbasement/episodes/2018-03-11T07_58_28-07_00

http://schwalbentertainment.com/2017/08/22/punkapocalyptic-roleplaying-game/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Wew, that new supplement they put out, Scions of the Betrayer, is edgyyyyy. Not really liking it because it crosses the line from gory tongue-in-cheek B-movie stuff to just being gross and tedious.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah as good as Schwalb is at making a system, he can be just as cringy sometimes. I listened to the first episode of his podcast and it wasn't as bad as it could've been but it was a little much for me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Wew, that new supplement they put out, Scions of the Betrayer, is edgyyyyy. Not really liking it because it crosses the line from gory tongue-in-cheek B-movie stuff to just being gross and tedious.

Definitely avoid "Horrific Parasites" and "Wretched and Unclean" then.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah as good as Schwalb is at making a system, he can be just as cringy sometimes. I listened to the first episode of his podcast and it wasn't as bad as it could've been but it was a little much for me.
Ditto. It really brought me back to the days when I had written this game off entirely. I'd heard an interview with Schwalb and he was, like, hyper-focused on stuff like the poop spells and orcs with giant boners.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I suppose I should get off my rear end and actually put together a normie hack that removes all the more objectionable aspects of the game.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The only parts that seemed too exxxtreme were the backgrounds. "I drowned a baby in piss" is something I would laugh in a player's face for, and approaches self-parody for SotDL. Overall Scions of the Betrayer seemed pretty on brand to me, but I also routinely ignore anything that isn't an explicit statblock, spell, item, or character path.

What I am annoyed about is that Darklings don't feel super materially different from Cambions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some of the stuff on the random tables in the corebook are eye-rollingly dumb.

"Okay, so you all meet in a tavern..."
"Does the tavern have windows?"
"Sure. So anyway, this old guy with a treasure map..."
"I chuck this jar full of spit out the window."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Ditto. It really brought me back to the days when I had written this game off entirely. I'd heard an interview with Schwalb and he was, like, hyper-focused on stuff like the poop spells and orcs with giant boners.

The "centipede in the urethra" bit he talked about in one of those interviews shows up in this, funnily enough.

I'm not really terribly offended or what have you by the edgier stuff, it's just really ludicrously dumb and not scary or shocking. Like, I think that scene in the VVitch where the witch kills that baby is very shocking, but that's because it's so sudden and unexpected. SotDL keeps tipping its loving hand constantly and that just lets you build a tolerance. So when you get to the "drowning a baby in pee" thing you're just bored and wondering "Man I already got past the monster that implants its eggs in you and the curse that makes your dick rot off, this is nothing".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I F&Fed Carcosa. Nothing can break me now.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

The "centipede in the urethra" bit he talked about in one of those interviews shows up in this, funnily enough.

I'm not really terribly offended or what have you by the edgier stuff, it's just really ludicrously dumb and not scary or shocking. Like, I think that scene in the VVitch where the witch kills that baby is very shocking, but that's because it's so sudden and unexpected. SotDL keeps tipping its loving hand constantly and that just lets you build a tolerance. So when you get to the "drowning a baby in pee" thing you're just bored and wondering "Man I already got past the monster that implants its eggs in you and the curse that makes your dick rot off, this is nothing".

I think that concept of tolerance is really what I've experienced with SotDL. There's only so many times my cock can turn into 666 worms that speak in antisemitic screeds before it just becomes boring. Thankfully SotDL has super tight mechanics that I love so it's very easy to look past the 2edgy bullshit and laugh at the impregnation torture stuff.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Still would rather play Shadow of the Demon Lord rather than D&D 5e or Pathfinder. The latter two are the only games stocked by my FLGS sadly.

:negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the game is extremely good and very easy to just edit around the edgy poo poo to stick to more basic body horror and all. My group's a bunch of horror nerds so we have no issue ignoring/retooling 'your butt explodes in a bunch of roaches and they all have gross drippy eye holes for eyes and they fly directly into the nearest dick they can find' stuff into more general 'your back has grown a disgusting flesh-hive of clearly infernal gnats and beetles that fly in and out'.

"A centipede crawls out your dick every time you piss" is maybe the funniest thing I've read in these books though. I can't even be mad that's just hilarious.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah when I run published adventures I try to keep things close to Evil Dead 2/Braindead in tone. It's not hard to turn horror into comedy (and in fact I can't even do horror as a GM), and the grossout over-the-top edgy poo poo in SotDL lends itself to funny situations. "Feast of the Father" has a scene where an entire village of people gorge themselves on rotting food and then poo poo out hundreds of gross arm-length worms in a town-wide diarrhea fit which is just something I could not describe with a straight face.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

:eyepop: that's a loving mental image right there

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
It be like that sometimes

Serf
May 5, 2011

Of course there is some stuff that I just wouldn't use. There is another adventure called "Forbidden Fruits" wherein a group of insane cultists have taken over a town after becoming infected by insanely toxic bramble bushes and devoting themselves to the worship of a weird bull god. In the tower, they have a minotaur that they have cut the arms and legs off of and you're supposed to imply that the female cultists have been attempting to use the minotaur to create something in the image of their bull-headed god. I read that and was like, yeah... no, that's not something relevant to the larger adventure nor something I can make funny and it's not getting used.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could be biologists who are taking cuttings and trying to grow the things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea maybe they're grafting minotaur bits onto themselves, but it's like 90% the human bits so it's just a lady with one weirdly beefy arm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Couldn't they just tie him down? Why'd they have to cut the arms and legs off? It's still torturous because like, he's *really* tired.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Couldn't they just tie him down? Why'd they have to cut the arms and legs off? It's still torturous because like, he's *really* tired.

the real twist is the minotaur is into some DEEPLY hosed up stuff and the party is kinkshaming him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just for the other side of things, let's talk about stuff we like in Shadow's setting, because I do think they do a good job when not being edgelords.

The Hell book, for example, is solid. There's some dumb stuff (a literal ocean of blood cannot be invoked without the Metalocolypse joke coming to ming, I'm sorry), but they have some clever ideas. I really like them explicitly saying in SotDL world 'Angels' are absolutely demons who's job it is to prey on the overly pious and superior to tempt them to do evil for their faith. That's super on brand and makes for a good twist to pull in an adventure and all. They also did a good job making Hell properly tempting. Yea you lose your soul and probably will explode in maggots or whatever, but it's also the only actual reliable way for Johnny Peasant to get a lot of money/power quickly in a hosed up world. It lends itself to both crazy infernal enemies and fallen mortals who may have had good intents or just been victims of Hell's games.

Also I like that The Devil is just kinda aloof and withdrawn in his crazy skull tower and most of the cults around him are just the other major players trying to get more power using his name and all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The stuff around the fey and the old gods, and the stuff related to the orc king are both pretty interesting and good enough that they've made me want to actually play in the SotDL setting instead of reskinning everything for WFRP.

Other than the poopmaggots, the main thing I don't like about the setting is the fact that the cities are all incredibly one-note the way they're described in the core book, which makes the setting feel distinctly artificial.

The Nine Cities are especially crap, here. "Here's the city of slavers! Here's the city of drugs! Here's the city of bankers! Here's the city run by assassins!" Those should all be one city.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The stuff around the fey and the old gods, and the stuff related to the orc king are both pretty interesting and good enough that they've made me want to actually play in the SotDL setting instead of reskinning everything for WFRP.

Other than the poopmaggots, the main thing I don't like about the setting is the fact that the cities are all incredibly one-note the way they're described in the core book, which makes the setting feel distinctly artificial.

The Nine Cities are especially crap, here. "Here's the city of slavers! Here's the city of drugs! Here's the city of bankers! Here's the city run by assassins!" Those should all be one city.

If I were to fix it, I would keep the lore and name the same, but actually have them be a sprawling megalopolis with the Nine Cities being more like districts or boroughs. So they each retain their gimmick, but they're all part of this huge, dying urban sprawl of in-fill and lawless abandoned neighborhoods.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"a human child" on the fey interesting thing list is pretty funny to me in the way a baby drowned in piss is not

I also really like pixies being invisible, except they are visible during certain times, and visible to children and animals/beasts. Bizarre and thematic.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Fey and other magical creatures being sociopathic weirdos and distinctly nonheroic is something I always go in for. The story of the Betrayer is actually decently tragic and feels resonant with the themes of Urth. I also dig that the Desolation is the aftermath of a war between trolls and faeries.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm personally okay with all the "edgy" poo poo being played straight.

There's naturally the issue of desensitization through overload, so pacing and presentation matters, but by and large the books' various ideas are serviceable for conveying a gross, hosed up world: the Shadow of the Demon Lord is gradually turning Urth, an already rather unwholesome place, into a living nightmare.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning on DMing it by saying a lot of the poo poo in the book is written by a contemporary in-world 'historian' (i.e. full of here be dragons / exoticism bullshit).
So the fairly normal city where a certain drug is a socially acceptable and popularly consumed gets reported back through various travellers and becomes 'this whole city is nothing but druggies'.
If the players actually go there, they discover the grain of truth in the pile of rumours.

Also tweaking to get rid of Schwalb's obsession with dicks & turds. Because, I mean, why?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Are you guys like lore lawyered by your players with the books in hand? Just do your usual D&D ad hoc bullshit and steal the bits you like.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Are you guys like lore lawyered by your players with the books in hand? Just do your usual D&D ad hoc bullshit and steal the bits you like.

Part of the issue is that, at least with DnD you can hand most people the setting books and then say "we're going to take this, except for this and this" but SotDL is a bit harder to do that with.

That said, it's only a problem if you actually use the basic setting material that way instead of just picking what you like and not bothering with handing the players those books.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still GMing a campaign in SOTDL, and I gotta say the combat system is tedious because it's so simple. What do you guys do to spice it up?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hollandia posted:

Also tweaking to get rid of Schwalb's obsession with dicks & turds. Because, I mean, why?

Historically dicks and turds have been very funny.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Tias posted:

Still GMing a campaign in SOTDL, and I gotta say the combat system is tedious because it's so simple. What do you guys do to spice it up?

Huh, haven't really found the combat to be tedious so far... the players quickly picks up a couple tricks, and the monsters usually have at least one gimmick each to put a spin on things. Haven't heard any complaints from the players about the combat yet (except for that one time I rolled randomly for enemies, and they got 6 large animals + some beastmen, which was a little bit too much for them).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tias posted:

Are you doing grid counting or the abstract stuff from Forbidden Rules?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No abstract stuff, no. Perhaps I'm bad at handling encounters.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tias posted:

Try adding roles to enemies that can think well enough to be tactical. That adds some more complexity.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tias posted:

I think that the combat's simplicity is a strength of the system. It allows you to move at a decent clip and not get bogged down. If you want to spice it up, offer the PCs incentives to use their maneuvers or something. All the paths get pretty decent gimmicks as well, so look at the players' sheets and make things that play to those gimmicks.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Also what level are your PCs at? I have one party at level 4 and one at level 8 and while combat runs really smooth for both, the master level characters have a lot more in the way of tricks and bullshit.

I've never found the combat to be tedious though. The rapid pace makes things very snappy so every move a monster pulls out should ideally add a new wrinkle to the scenario. Are you using special powers for monsters to full effect? You can also just cheat and make a monster cast a spell or spell-like effect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I am kind of surprised by how quickly characters' complexity ramps up.

One of my players made a flowchart for her Salamander/Warrior/Berserker to keep track of all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel the game really benefits from speeding up to or even starting at level 3, so characters have a full suite of options.