Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

Saw a guy in the DFAC wearing ranger panties. Sleeve tattoos on both his legs, one of Freddy Krueger, the other of Leatherface. I think he was SF of some sort so there's dorks everywhere.

Only sf wears ranger panties as outerwear in public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want to believe that means Power Ranger panties.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Only sf wears ranger panties as outerwear in public

I guess I'm SF now :bigtran:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I guess I'm SF now :bigtran:

UwU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

LostCosmonaut posted:

I need some advice (not for me, but for a friend on another forum);
quote:

quote:

So I'm looking into going into aviation maintenance, and the most surefire way to get into the aviation maintenance workforce is through the military. In about 30 days I'll be seeing a military physician to see if I'm considered eligible for military service. In the meanwhile, I impulsively decided that I want to work with helichoppers on the basis that they're neat, maybe easier to maintain than jets, and I'll get a decent chance to actually go on missions and see scenery if I end up as crew chief. Am I being reasonable with expectations or should I go for something else?

I started reading this thread at work from page 1 like a month ago and lol here I am already in the idiot thread about a year ahead of schedule, lol (also lol at helichoppers being less maintenance intensive)
Finishing up on my A&P from a part 147 school in about a month, going to go to another school with a helicopter maintenance specialization course for my bachelor's, then probably gonna do a double idiot combo and join the army, and finish it off with a triple idiot combo and cry in here about how much the army sucks. Shooting for pilot instead of maintainer now, so maybe that doesn't suck but more likely I'm a quadruple idiot

Just try to stop me please

A general question as long as I'm in this thread, I've heard stuff from vets I've known in person about recruiters being able to a) lie b) not lie c) ignore your contract even if it's signed or whatever d) etc e) all of the above, I'm sure b) isn't true but I really want c) to not be true, do you have to sign your name in blood or something? Also please tell me if I'm being a naive idiot about absolutely everything

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I started reading this thread at work from page 1 like a month ago and lol here I am already in the idiot thread about a year ahead of schedule, lol (also lol at helichoppers being less maintenance intensive)
Finishing up on my A&P from a part 147 school in about a month, going to go to another school with a helicopter maintenance specialization course for my bachelor's, then probably gonna do a double idiot combo and join the army, and finish it off with a triple idiot combo and cry in here about how much the army sucks. Shooting for pilot instead of maintainer now, so maybe that doesn't suck but more likely I'm a quadruple idiot

Just try to stop me please

A general question as long as I'm in this thread, I've heard stuff from vets I've known in person about recruiters being able to a) lie b) not lie c) ignore your contract even if it's signed or whatever d) etc e) all of the above, I'm sure b) isn't true but I really want c) to not be true, do you have to sign your name in blood or something? Also please tell me if I'm being a naive idiot about absolutely everything

All I know about recruitment I learned from The Forever War, but my guess is that even if you signed up for MOS 1, once you put on the uniform, they can just order you to switch over to MOS 2, so it means absolutely jack poo poo.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All I know about recruitment I learned from The Forever War, but my guess is that even if you signed up for MOS 1, once you put on the uniform, they can just order you to switch over to MOS 2, so it means absolutely jack poo poo.

I've read through a decent amount of this thread so I should know better, but I still reserve some hope that worst case someone sees A&P, most of the way to student pilot, and a bachelor's in diddling helicopters, and decides the best benefit to the military is to at least have me as maintainer if not pilot. But then again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1nfv3z1iE

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Somebody link the old officer vs enlisted thread

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Recruiters don't have poo poo to do with your contract other than getting you to and from MEPs where those guidance counselors will do your contract, which won't be messed with by them unless you gently caress up or it becomes invalidated for some reason (security clearance poo poo or you hurt yourself/get fat waiting to ship) and you'd have to sign a new contract.

if anyone fucks with it, it's the big army, it's not recruiter/meps jobs to know when the Army would say, decide to reorganize the entire organizational structure and now we have too many tankers. generally then they won't force to to pick that new job, its just that you can't stay in your old job anymore if you decide to reenlist

edit: as far as recruiters lying, like literally everything else, it depends on the individual

edit2: in my office I don't recall hearing any blatant lies or anything like that. Really the thing is a lot of people hear what they want to hear, and they are probably dumb with limited understanding of stuff because guess what, only morons enlist

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 19, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mods change my name posted:

only morons enlist

mods change thread title tia

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I don’t recall any recruiter down right lying but there was certainly some omissions of data and “I’m sorry I don’t think I heard you correctly”.
With other kids though. I was a goddamn saint.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My recruiter paid off a ticket I got so I could enlist.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So what I'm hearing is that this is a Cinderella deal and I need to get a ticket and look for the recruiter that will pay it for me?

I'll offer some content about military dudes idioting in the civilian world if people want. Kind of generic probably but content I guess

E: Also my uncle getting hosed by the army at every turn

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 19, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I'll offer some content about military dudes idioting in the civilian world if people want. Kind of generic probably but content I guess

:justpost:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got two great uncles who enlisted at the same time for Korea. One retired a E8 and the other finished his contract getting promoted to E4 three times!

Guess which one is the alcoholic!

(Both!)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_osCPYPywnU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It's a machine gun turret. Nothing terribly fancy unless it was one of the CROWS systems.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a machine gun turret. Nothing terribly fancy unless it was one of the CROWS systems.

I'm like 99% sure that's exactly what it was.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah that's a CROWS turret with the cover on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had a guy who left the RWS (complete with .50 cal) in the upright position after a stryker gunnery, and he he did something similar (if not a bit more dramatic). He drove into the little building where range control installed/uninstalled whatever it was they put in the strykers during a gunnery, and the barrel caught on something and peeled the entire RWS off of the vehicle. This was the same guy that made E5 like 3 times, and E6 twice (I think).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

I'm like 99% sure that's exactly what it was.

Yeah whoops. Is the CROWS really ~secret~?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah whoops. Is the CROWS really ~secret~?

I don't think so.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When they were installing crows on tanks they we're talking about how you need a secret clearance to operate it, but everyone's like "you fuckin' dummy this combat arms like 3 people have a clearance in the whole company and they are probably under investigation".

As it turns out even if it was true no one gives a poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dude probably thought it was secret because it had a cover on it. Nothing about the crows is secret.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey whaddya know poo poo rusts and we like to throw a tarp on it as the one smart thing we do today

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CROWS are hardly secret? They're in use by half of NATO, the Protectors are made by Kongsberg, a Norwegian company.

They just closed a $ ~1.5bn deal with Saudi Arabia, heh.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Icon Of Sin posted:

We had a guy who left the RWS (complete with .50 cal) in the upright position after a stryker gunnery, and he he did something similar (if not a bit more dramatic). He drove into the little building where range control installed/uninstalled whatever it was they put in the strykers during a gunnery, and the barrel caught on something and peeled the entire RWS off of the vehicle. This was the same guy that made E5 like 3 times, and E6 twice (I think).

Those things can be surprisingly durable at times though. Saved the life of one of my dudes when his stryker rolled off an embankment. Stryker rolled completely upside down, propped up by the RWS. He was hanging outside the VC hatch and would have been crushed without it.

Though if you fart in the general direction of an RWS it will probably cause a few faults. Makes me wonder how the things do in combat and get shot at.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
lmbo at recruiters don’t lie, I literally saw a recruiter forge a mother’s signature on a 17-year old poolee’s paperwork back in 07

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I said it varies, lol, I saw some shady poo poo. Usmc recruiter next to us was forging high school diplomas lol.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah actually I was probably just being defensive, gently caress recruiters

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Every recruiter lies.

“Have you ever smoke marijuana?”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"can you give me two more weeks to pass the test to say no?"

"Here do this CVS one and see if you'll pass at MEPS."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

*Narrator Voice*
It did not.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Going back to the book suggestions, you can always go down the cognitive psych/behavioral economics rabbit hole for managerial decision making. Dan Ariely's Predictibly Irrational is a good start. Talks about all the unique ways our brains are lovely at examining reality.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Machine gun being secret or not is not the point of that video

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My idiot nephew got permanent DQed by the army because they found out he’s diabetic at meps. He’s a skinny twiggy fucker so this caught all of us by surprise. It really sucks for him because his escape valve from the rural shithole he lives in just vaporized but at least he’s not going combat arms!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

My idiot nephew got permanent DQed by the army because they found out he’s diabetic at meps. He’s a skinny twiggy fucker so this caught all of us by surprise. It really sucks for him because his escape valve from the rural shithole he lives in just vaporized but at least he’s not going combat arms!
Wandering around the desert getting shot at is still probably better than living in Whitetrashistan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Casimir Radon posted:

Wandering around the desert getting shot at is still probably better than living in Whitetrashistan.

Yeah I never was against him enlisting somewhere, but I wanted him to at least get a decent gig. I still want to find him a way out, but I don't really know anything off the top of my head that'll save him. As it is he'll probably hang around his deadbeat dad and their wannabe biker gang (they claim they're a kinfolk chapter) until he knocks some fat girl up then he'll end up in some dead end manual labor job to support her.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Buy him a tapout shirt and subdued flag hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

Buy him a tapout shirt and subdued flag hat.

Like he needs more.