Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rex-Goliath posted:

lmao is this finally it? have we finally reached tech bubble thread salvation? the faithful have been waiting for years. facebook’s facade is crumbling, uber kills someone. has the cleansing arrived?

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Can’t wait to see all those two-year deferred sentences and stern warnings when justice finally comes.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

re: killer Ubers - lol at the posts in the OSHA thread

boner confessor posted:

how often would you expect the vehicle to check for pedestrians in immediate proximity though

once every ten seconds that sounds about right /makes tick on clipboard

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

re: killer Ubers - lol at the posts in the OSHA thread

once every ten seconds that sounds about right /makes tick on clipboard
the answer is of course to minimum legal compliance and not one tick more

hrmmmy, how much does uber donate to political campaigns again?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/976088421096665089

Loooool

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol at people that used capitalization on aim

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Can’t wait to see all those two-year deferred sentences and stern warnings when justice finally comes.

the american charges maybe

parliament appears to be somewhat angry at them

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the american charges maybe

parliament appears to be somewhat angry at them

”cross”. the word is “cross”.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

zuck for prison
:getin:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

akadajet posted:

zuck for prison
:getin:

Lock! Him! Up!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
if you can read this, the Zuck fell off!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

drat this cambridge analytica thing is such a mess on so many fronts that i can’t even keep up with it

They're dropping another video today focusing on CA's efforts for the Trump campaign

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
uber x-post

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

facebook pivots and becomes private prison contractor

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

if you can read this, the Zuck fell off!

keep clicking! the page is reloading!

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is facebook

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jimmyjams posted:

what is facebook

a miserable pile of everyone's secrets

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

god bless our blameless, perfect robot cars :patriot:

quote:

After viewing video captured by the Uber vehicle, Moir concluded that “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway."

i mean a human could have like, hit the brakes... at all...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Basic analysis of the crash has shown that the woman was crossing right-to-left and the car hit her on its left side, meaning that the car failed to detect her even as she passed completely in front of the vehicle and was on her way out. a human-sized target pushing a large metal object.

Of course this is the Maricopa county police we're talking about

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Humans have terrible reaction times so we should expect and accept that computers should be even worse at the task, for some reason.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Basic analysis of the crash has shown that the woman was crossing right-to-left and the car hit her on its left side, meaning that she had passed completely in front of the vehicle and was on her way out when the car failed to detect her, a human-sized target pushing a large metal object

she just darted out of the darkness like a deer and flung herself and her giant cart of groceries in front of the car fast enough to almost make it across before anyone could have had time to react, so she went like, 10 feet within a really generous human reaction time of ~400ms, meaning she was pushing that cart upwards of 17mph

clearly uber is the real victim here, of this terrorist rocket-propelled grocery lady

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the "fault" argument seems to hinge on "shouldn'ta been standing there"

i.e. the car did nothing to avoid plowing into her, but it's her fault for being on the road in the first place. which, to be fair, is roughly the standard applied to every other case of vehicular manslaughter ever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

quote:

The police said that the vehicle was traveling 38 miles per hour in a 35 mile-per-hour zone, according to the Chronicle—though a Google Street View shot of the roadway taken last July shows a speed limit of 45 miles per hour along that stretch of road.

:thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Humans have terrible reaction times so we should expect and accept that computers should be even worse at the task, for some reason.

that's assuming the car even registered her. she's not shaped like the back end of another car, so it may not have even "seen" her

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

the "fault" argument seems to hinge on "shouldn'ta been standing there"

i.e. the car did nothing to avoid plowing into her, but it's her fault for being on the road in the first place. which, to be fair, is roughly the standard applied to every other case of vehicular manslaughter ever

wasn't at a crosswalk so the cops really don't care if the driver wasn't drunk or anything

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well this is special.

quote:

Researchers from the RWTH Aachen University, Germany found that around 1,600 files were currently stored in bitcoin’s blockchain. Of the files least eight were of sexual content, including one thought to be an image of child abuse and two that contain 274 links to child abuse content, 142 of which link to dark web services.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

no the computer can decide very quickly that it is going to run somebody over.

Rider paid extra $3 for express mode.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I think a few people put the EICAR test string in there just to gently caress with them too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

god bless our blameless, perfect robot cars :patriot:

i mean a human could have like, hit the brakes... at all...

"How she came from the shadows into the roadway"

These cars have frickin lasers and infrared cameras and radars and poo poo. If they can't see in the dark at least as well as the best human beings, then what the gently caress business do they have operating at night

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

without even clicking on it i'm gonna call it right now: no files are "stored" on the bitcoin blockchain, the only thing there is links to files. i even remember years ago when the bitcoiners were all doing stuff like "if we put CP on the blockchain governments will hiss and recoil like it's poison and leave us alone!" and they couldn't figure out how to do it beyond links

e: *clicks* ding ding ding

quote:

Of the files least eight were of sexual content, including one thought to be an image of child abuse and two that contain 274 links to child abuse content, 142 of which link to dark web services.

they managed to get one actual piece of CP into the blockchain and the rest is links

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

that's assuming the car even registered her. she's not shaped like the back end of another car, so it may not have even "seen" her

to be fair they can only detect the back of a car if its moving, they have to filter out the backs of stopped cars because they cant tell the difference between those and overhead road signs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

iirc their other plan was to put [links to] pictures of tiananmen square on it so the chinese would have to ban it so those evil chinese miners would have to stop

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think a few people put the EICAR test string in there just to gently caress with them too

that caused a few people's bitcoin wallets or clients or something to get deleted by their AV which was great :allears:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

http://www.startribune.com/in-crashes-that-kill-pedestrians-the-majority-of-drivers-don-t-face-charges/380345481/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ChappellTracker/status/746861832594284544

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am a news cycle or two behind, but i hope someone has pointed out that self-driving cars are currently running at ~200 fatalities per billion miles, where the us national average is 12.5.

asimov's first rule of robotics: always exercise your fiduciary duty to the stakeholders of the company

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

"How she came from the shadows into the roadway"

These cars have frickin lasers and infrared cameras and radars and poo poo. If they can't see in the dark at least as well as the best human beings, then what the gently caress business do they have operating at night

uh lasers and ir aren't x-rays. something can still be in shadow to them

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my bitter bi rival posted:

asimov's first rule of robotics: always exercise your fiduciary duty to the stakeholders of the company

Ian Tregilli's The Alchemy Wars does this, all robots alchemical golems are required to get a naval overlay when they travel by sea (because compulsively protecting humans in the short term can sink the ship in the long term), but the details of the nautical geas prioritizes shareholder value over passenger life.

the best portrayal of self-driving cars in fiction is still Version Control, where the driver panickedly touching the steering wheel in the instant before the collision transfers control and legal liability from the self-driving AI to the passenger, and this fact is very carefully recorded in the black box

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 20, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like that they're trying to handwave away the "difficulty" of the situation when they already admitted that the car didn't even think about stopping as it flattened a ped

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

uh lasers and ir aren't x-rays. something can still be in shadow to them

if a cop is saying "came from the shadows" they almost definitely mean "a dark area" rather than "from behind something"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a good thing the safety driver was there to, uh, i guess see if the car was going to respond and then do nothing