Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

TheScott2K posted:

Jeff Bridges

ever since sleep tapes seeing his name makes me drowsy, in the best possible way.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bill Gates is probably OK

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah I suppose it is impossible to be that wealthy without being an active part of the problem. I'd take him and his pizza over Papa John's!

if the billionaires were just shitheads constrained by proper regulations that were enforced, it would not be an ideal or perfect system, but good lord it would be a lot better.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Katt posted:

Or he fights Django in a fist brawl instead of just force smashing him and arresting him.

I would play The Django Unleashed

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Waroduce posted:

xpost

This is a hell of a piece

The cambridge analytica stuff

all of it jesus

So I knew Mercer was batshit insane, I just didn't know how much. This guy believes that the Guilded Age was the height of human progress :wtc:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Bill Gates unleashing mosquitos on a crowd of rich fucks is still my favorite thing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vladimir Putin posted:

No.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

A fresh Little Caesars pizza is good chain pizza. They make the dough in store!

Edit: THANK YOU whoever got rid of that dumb Kodi title I'd been stuck with for years

I'm never going to recognize your posts now because the old title was so loving gigantic

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Bill Gates unleashing mosquitos on a crowd of rich fucks is still my favorite thing.

Bill Gates probably does some stuff that people in this thread don’t agree with but his overall work and philanthropy I think set a good example and is admirable.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ularg posted:

I can't believe this is a real article. I mean I can, but gently caress dude.

https://twitter.com/andreuswolf/status/975721517748125696

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/03/15/dont-let-liberals-win-by-making-you-care-n2460765

(Even with an adblocker this site is annoying)

That Kurt Schlichter article isn't really surprising when you remember he wrote several articles/books about how awesome it would be to kill his fellow citizens in blue states. Of course they are the real fascists, yes siree.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm never going to recognize your posts now because the old title was so loving gigantic

I do like 90% of my forumsing in the Awful app so I was always sort of surprised at how big the old one was any time I used a desktop browser. It was kind of a lame big red title, honestly. I've given much worse. They're supposed to hurt feelings.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

She's kind of an rear end in a top hat, too. She was pretty much all-in against Corbyn and after he did amazingly well pretended nothing happened and started tweeting about people insulting conservative female ministers as being sexist.

She’s a Blair-loving neoliberal. (Gasp!)

Hogwarts is probably a place where students learned to be advocates for free trade and lovers of the World Bank. Think Eton, but for wizards.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bill Gates did his part to delay Apple imposing all of their bullshit onto computing for a good 20 years and for that I'm thankful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vladimir Putin posted:

Bill Gates probably does some stuff that people in this thread don’t agree with but his overall work and philanthropy I think set a good example and is admirable.

Bill Gates made all his money in some extremely suspect ways -- see, e.g., the netflix/microsoft lawsuit, etc.

In a purely utilitarian calculus his actions might be justifiable given his philanthropy, but it'd be a very "ends justify the means" kind of math.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hobnob posted:

Nobody wants to talk about Trump's weird rear end-anomalies.

Drone posted:

The real reason Trump doesn't like to take stairs is because of his persistent hemorrhoids.
Waaagh! Abort! abort! :yikes:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bill Gates is only defensible if you think he did enough actual work by himself to justify his immense wealth compared to anybody who works or has worked for Microsoft

EDIT: This applies to any capitalist

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vladimir Putin posted:

Eh, I think his charity work is admirable and he wants to actually improve education, but he and his wife have completely bought into the Pearson view of education as entirely data and testing based, so as a teacher I'm not always his biggest fan.

I feel it's also because he is misguided on the subject, and not an evil rear end in a top hat. On the plus side a large part of the good stuff of common core is because he helped push it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

All Capitalists Are Bad, but Gates isn't getting the Bezos treatment from me when the guillotines come out.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

twice burned ice posted:

Illinois goons, don't forget to vote today!

I'm torn on my vote for governor. I was tempted to vote for Biss, but after his shenanigans with his DSA running-mate, I don't think I can stomach it.

Just did.

I mean, I lost the sample ballot the Democratic Party sent out in the shuffle and I didn't bother to research any of the candidates beforehand so I just voted at random for like the five actual choices out of seventeen there were, but I still voted! :)

Except Plitzner, I deliberately voted for him out of spite since the Illinois thread seems to hate his guts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bill Gates made all his money in some extremely suspect ways -- see, e.g., the netflix/microsoft lawsuit, etc.

In a purely utilitarian calculus his actions might be justifiable given his philanthropy, but it'd be a very "ends justify the means" kind of math.

I had not heard of the netflix/microsoft lawsuit, but some googling suggests you might be talking about paul allen (not gates, not microsoft) doing some patent trolling? The real knock on Gates and how he made his wealth is exploiting Windows' monopoly power.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bill Gates is only defensible if you think he did enough actual work by himself to justify his immense wealth compared to anybody who works or has worked for Microsoft

iirc basically everyone who worked at microsoft in the early days is hilariously, stupendously wealthy from gates on down to the secretaries and the guy who did some art in the building and got paid in stock.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Katt posted:

I am *this* close to reading the whole thing again. I kind of liked it. I really liked the magic system. You really got a feeling for how the magic worked and why and when they could do it. More importantly when they couldn't do it.

As opposed to "Hey Gandalf remember that time you loving exploded a whole room but now we're fighting with sticks and swords? Could you maybe lend a fireball?"

Or Star Wars where Obi Wan can pick up Grievous like a toy with mind powers and throw him but doesn't smash him against the wall or throw him off a cliff. Or he fights Jango in a fist brawl instead of just force smashing him and arresting him.

Them's fightin' words. If I want to read about strict arbitrary magic rules, I'll play DND; I prefer magic in my fantasy novels to be inscrutable and, well, magical. Not fantasy superpowers that need a full mana bar or whatever.

Let's take solace in the fact that that one great avenue of nerd escapism, the fantasy and sci-fi story, has likely never been soiled by any of the Trumps reading a book.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I had not heard of the netflix/microsoft lawsuit, but some googling suggests you might be talking about paul allen (not gates, not microsoft) doing some patent trolling?

iirc basically everyone who worked at microsoft in the early days is hilariously, stupendously wealthy from gates on down to the secretaries.

Paul Allen gets the 'tine.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea bill gates made his money in a lovely way, but he's helped millions of people and by the time he dies will probably be the greatest philanthropist in history, so...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You seem really mad that someone might have more money than you, or anyone else.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

and if we're talking about piece of poo poo tech guys, what about larry ellison? famous for taking a dangerous, expensive sport, and making it TOO dangerous and expensive for the other rich people?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Verranicus posted:

You seem really mad that someone might have more money than you, or anyone else.

Profit is theft.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Lol

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fred Rogers worked within the capitalist system without attempting to overthrow it; ergo, he deserves the guilliotine as much as anyone else

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

TheScott2K posted:

All Capitalists Are Bad, but Gates isn't getting the Bezos treatment from me when the guillotines come out.

New fresh blade for Bill. It's the least we can do.

Bezos. Just skip the blade. Drop the wood frame repeatedly until the job is done.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
On the one hand, it's cool that he uses his ridiculous fortune for good things. On the other hand, he shouldn't have a ridiculous fortune like that in the first place, it's a symptom of a broken system.

So I approve of what he does, but not of his existence. He should just be comfortably well-off, and "stopping people dying of malaria" should be a problem for humanity's government to solve.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bill Gates also initiated the creation of XBox so that is another plus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I had not heard of the netflix/microsoft lawsuit, but some googling suggests you might be talking about paul allen (not gates, not microsoft) doing some patent trolling? The real knock on Gates and how he made his wealth is exploiting Windows' monopoly power.

Sorry yeah I'm at about 65% function today due to allergies -- like an idiot I meant Netscape, not Netflix. Which as you say was basically "Microsoft exploits windows monopoly power to push out competitors, the legal battle."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Verranicus posted:

I am a centrist.

Verranicus posted:

Democrats shouldn't eat each other.

Verranicus posted:

I'm not racist.

Verranicus do you think Bill Gates has done 91 billion dollars worth of work in his lifetime.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

skeleton warrior posted:

Fred Rogers worked within the capitalist system without attempting to overthrow it; ergo, he deserves the guilliotine as much as anyone else

Fred Rodgers pushed the idea that everyone is individually "special" rather than part of our glorious communist machine, fukkin capitalist pig

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Opinions on billionaires and fantasy books hot and fresh.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Rich people all suck chat sure is fun to read

Surely, this is the best possible thread for these discussions

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

skeleton warrior posted:

Out of respect for Mr. McFeely, I am only going to kick you in the shins. But be careful, Skelly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Bill Gates also initiated the creation of XBox so that is another plus.

:911: America's Console

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

Them's fightin' words. If I want to read about strict arbitrary magic rules, I'll play DND; I prefer magic in my fantasy novels to be inscrutable and, well, magical. Not fantasy superpowers that need a full mana bar or whatever.

Let's take solace in the fact that that one great avenue of nerd escapism, the fantasy and sci-fi story, has likely never been soiled by any of the Trumps reading a book.

I just made some magic elf biscuits so my mana bar is a bit low and I'll have to concede to a truce for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s really wild to think how many billions are being used to prop up the stock market right now. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

• Locked thread