Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

suuma posted:

Run around looking for "??? Rathian" footprints for 4 hours sure is a fun game objective

You can fill that research by just completing investigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
so are we 4chan now and making GBS threads on GaijinHunter for really dumb reasons?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
No we're being SA and making GBS threads on him for really dumb reasons

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I just hate his voice. It's a shame his content is good.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can fill that research by just completing investigations.

Any investigation?

The game says expeditions or optional quests..so I've just been running around in expeditions. Fuckin hell.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

suuma posted:

Any investigation?

The game says expeditions or optional quests..so I've just been running around in expeditions. Fuckin hell.

Just use this as an opportunity to clear out your optional quests. You'll need to do so eventually anyways if you want to unlock some of the later quests / mantles, it'll give you more of an objective to work towards, and it'll fill the meter much more quickly than just running around collecting tracks aimlessly.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I get that he lives in Japan and obviously has a decent grasp on Japanese, but he does that horrible thing where he randomly picks some words to try and pronounce full-on Japanese for no reason. Listen to him say 'Odogaron' in as strong of an accent as he can for absolutely no reason. Drives me crazy.

Why? Hes lived in Japan for a very very long amount of time and it makes sense that he would be extremely used to pronouncing ロ properly. Loads of people have been giving him poo poo for it in his comments and it seems so ridiculous to get so uppity about that particular name. Its not like people haven't been butchering these names for years already anyway, people still argue about stuff like Tigrex for example.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Just use this as an opportunity to clear out your optional quests. You'll need to do so eventually anyways if you want to unlock some of the later quests / mantles, it'll give you more of an objective to work towards, and it'll fill the meter much more quickly than just running around collecting tracks aimlessly.

Okay, I'll do that.

I take it I don't have to be in high rank to find the rathian marks?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

FiftySeven posted:

Why? Hes lived in Japan for a very very long amount of time and it makes sense that he would be extremely used to pronouncing ロ properly. Loads of people have been giving him poo poo for it in his comments and it seems so ridiculous to get so uppity about that particular name. Its not like people haven't been butchering these names for years already anyway, people still argue about stuff like Tigrex for example.

You don't understand! Him pronouncing a word in the Japanese way means he's exactly like that annoying kid I went to middle school with who always wore Naruto headbands!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I get that he lives in Japan and obviously has a decent grasp on Japanese, but he does that horrible thing where he randomly picks some words to try and pronounce full-on Japanese for no reason. Listen to him say 'Odogaron' in as strong of an accent as he can for absolutely no reason. Drives me crazy.

He's the definition of a weeaboo. He even married a Japanese woman and gave his kid a Japanese name. Difference is, he's been doing it for well over a decade.

Great videos, but yeah... he's the original weeb. Is that a bad thing? Who gives a poo poo, learn to kill some monsters.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fuzz posted:

He's the definition of a weeaboo. He even married a Japanese woman and gave his kid a Japanese name. Difference is, he's been doing it for well over a decade.

Great videos, but yeah... he's the original weeb. Is that a bad thing? Who gives a poo poo, learn to kill some monsters.

He moved to Japan, why is it shocking that he would marry a Japanese woman and give his Japanese child a Japanese name what the gently caress is happening here?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

He moved to Japan, why is it shocking that he would marry a Japanese woman and give his Japanese child a Japanese name what the gently caress is happening here?

Aryan blood and Aryan culture must remain untainted by decadent Nippon.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Inspector_666 posted:

Because it's fine if this happens with literally any other culture, but, you know, weebs. Can't be a weeb, man, it's just not right.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

suuma posted:

Run around looking for "??? Rathian" footprints for 4 hours sure is a fun game objective

just do optional quests

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Squidtentacle posted:

Because it's fine if this happens with literally any other culture, but, you know, weebs. Can't be a weeb, man, it's just not right.

Yeah, it's dumb as hell.

Watch his videos and learn to git gud. The only value a human holds is in their ability to carve Tempered Elder Dragons. :black101:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

AttackBacon posted:

Going back to the bowchat from a few pages ago, I just wanted to note that arc shot is actually insanely good. In solo play. Don't use it online unless you and your group know what you're doing. But solo it's probably the strongest KO tool in the game. When you combine reliable KO's with the insane DPS the bow is capable of doing, you get super quick hunts. Don't nerf yourself, use arc shot if you play solo. Here's a video that shows why it's good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIThik9kuUs Notice that despite my terrible 1:30 AM hunting skills, I killed that Teostra in less than 4 minutes. It's easy to use and super strong.

If you want a bit more diversity, some good all-rounders are:

-Lance: Odo, Bazel, Workshop.

Thanks for this and all of your other posts in this thread AB. For some reason I thought that you could only have one Arc Shot active at a time, but it looks like when you're spamming Arc/Power shots while Teo is down that they are stacking together. Good to know for solo play.

I love the look of the Odo lance, but doing the math it seems like the Nerg lance is better even with the crit chance and white sharpness factored into Odo.

My quick math says:
Nerg Attack Power = 210 * 1.2 (blue sharp) = 252 (there's also Dragon Attack but I'm ignoring it, obviously if the monster isn't immune to dragon you'll do additional damage from the 150 dragon element on the lance)

Odo Attack Power = 170 * 1.32 (white sharp) = 224.4
Odo has 30% crit chance, with crits hitting for 25% extra damage.
So 30% of the time, Odo's attack power with white sharpness is 224.4 * 1.25 = 280.5
Averaging out the Attack Power (224.4 * 0.7) + (280.5 * 0.3) = 241.23 (basically 70% of the time you'll hit for normal, 30% you'll hit for critical)

So the Nerg Lance with 0% crit chance will have 252 attack power at blue sharpness, plus dragon damage.
The Odo Lance with 30% crit chance averages 241.23 attack power with no additional damage.

Which is a bummer, because I'd like to use the Odo lance because it looks cool. It just seems like the Nerg lance is better even ignoring the dragon attack and the elderseal, which are just another boost. Maybe my math is wrong, if so please let me know. I didn't plan on nerding (nerging) out on this, but one morning I was looking at the Odo lance's stats and the Nerg's stats and I couldn't tell which was a better all purpose raw damage lance, so I did some numbers. Bear in mind, I haven't ever used an elementless setup or any of the augmentations, so I figure it's possible that with other factors in play, you could make the Odo lance better.

Mostly I just hit the monsters and have a good time and don't worry about the optimal stats, but I went labcoat on these two lances so I'm sharing my math.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So for any other GL people, how/where are you using the Wyrmstake Cannon?

I'm not sure exactly when to fit it into my combos, or when Wyvern Fire is a better option.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LordHippoman posted:

I'm not sure exactly when to fit it into my combos, or when Wyvern Fire is a better option.

Lately I've been trying to burst combo/endless combo more, so I use it when the monster is down and Wyvern Fire is on cooldown.

I used to just finish every combo with it and it was fun too. I don't really care about maximizing my DPS though.

Fuzz posted:

Barroth Lance is dope as gently caress. It's basically the Diablos equivalent, toss in an Elementless gem and go to town

Barroth Lance has paralysis though?

I want to make the Workshop Lance because it looks cool as gently caress.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Jolo posted:

Thanks for this and all of your other posts in this thread AB. For some reason I thought that you could only have one Arc Shot active at a time, but it looks like when you're spamming Arc/Power shots while Teo is down that they are stacking together. Good to know for solo play.

I love the look of the Odo lance, but doing the math it seems like the Nerg lance is better even with the crit chance and white sharpness factored into Odo.

My quick math says:
Nerg Attack Power = 210 * 1.2 (blue sharp) = 252 (there's also Dragon Attack but I'm ignoring it, obviously if the monster isn't immune to dragon you'll do additional damage from the 150 dragon element on the lance)

So 30% of the time, Odo's attack power with white sharpness is 224.4 * 1.25 = 280.5
Averaging out the Attack Power (224.4 * 0.7) + (280.5 * 0.3) = 241.23 (basically 70% of the time you'll hit for normal, 30% you'll hit for critical)

So the Nerg Lance with 0% crit chance will have 252 attack power at blue sharpness, plus dragon damage.
The Odo Lance with 30% crit chance averages 241.23 attack power with no additional damage.

Which is a bummer, because I'd like to use the Odo lance because it looks cool. It just seems like the Nerg lance is better even ignoring the dragon attack and the elderseal, which are just another boost. Maybe my math is wrong, if so please let me know. I didn't plan on nerding (nerging) out on this, but one morning I was looking at the Odo lance's stats and the Nerg's stats and I couldn't tell which was a better all purpose raw damage lance, so I did some numbers. Bear in mind, I haven't ever used an elementless setup or any of the augmentations, so I figure it's possible that with other factors in play, you could make the Odo lance better.

Mostly I just hit the monsters and have a good time and don't worry about the optimal stats, but I went labcoat on these two lances so I'm sharing my math.

Non-elemental is the big thing that makes it competitive, yeah. It's a 10% boost in power, so that puts odo right above Nerg.
Keep in mind that the high affinity also allows it to take good advantage of the Teostra set bonus, so you need to sharpen much less often.

In general, without factoring in armor skills, nerg weapons tend to be the best - but once you start factoring in non-elemental boost, handicraft, and elemental damage, other weapons can pull ahead.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Barroth Lance has paralysis though?

I want to make the Workshop Lance because it looks cool as gently caress.

It's a hidden element, same as how Diablos always has Ice. Works fine, just don't have any Free Element skill.

Barroth with 1 damage augment and Elementless can break 500 damage on a Lance. All this talk above about Nerg vs Odo is missing the sleeper hit (poke) that is Barroth Lance.

It also looks pretty kickass.

The Workshop Lance does 460 base (same as Barroth), but 0% affinity and only 1 Hero augment. Barroth has 3 slots. You can slot 1 damage, 1 Affinity, and 1 regen into Barroth to make it the single highest damage Lance in the game, with only -10% affinity. It literally turns into a Diablos equivalent, but with 5% better affinity and a longer blue sharpness bar by default. It's only lacking in that it can't get white sharpness, but you can stack peak performance and maximum might and that sorta stuff and more than make up for the extra 10% that white gives you over blue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fuzz posted:

It's a hidden element, same as how Diablos always has Ice. Works fine, just don't have any Free Element skill.

Ah, I was just looking at the fextralife wiki and they don't have it marked as hidden, that's cool.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Inspector_666 posted:

Ah, I was just looking at the fextralife wiki and they don't have it marked as hidden, that's cool.

Use kiranico instead :) https://mhworld.kiranico.com/weapon/barroth-stinger-iii

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yep, I checked there once I saw Fuzz's post. Fextralife has the proper info in the tree view, but not on the actual weapon page but I'm too lazy to edit anything right now.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Jolo posted:

My quick math says:

Trick Question covered it well but basically the Odo lance "scales" better. Put another way, it has better natural multipliers in white sharpness and the base 30% affinity. So for example, if you have Attack Boost 5, that 15 raw is going to be multiplied by the white sharpness modifier and the affinity, whereas the Nerg lance will just multiply by blue. Non-elemental boost is another big multiplier as well.

This goes both ways of course in that the Nerg lance's higher raw scales better with affinity, but I think Odo ends up winning in the very end because of non-elemental boost and two augment slots.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Anja seems to be the best fire bow right? Damage calculators etc show it has about 100 dps more than the rathalos one. Main drawback is it has no slots.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawabata posted:

Anja seems to be the best fire bow right? Damage calculators etc show it has about 100 dps more than the rathalos one. Main drawback is it has no slots.

depends how weak they are to fire and if you need the slots for your set

with augmentations, every weapon is useable. Its pretty cool

dps calculations are pretty junk unless you play 100% perfectly like a super robot and take every damage chance to do optimized maxed dps. Focusing on spread or normal shots has different dps and is higher for some bows and lower than others depending on the bow and target.

Use the one you like. Your player skill has way more impact than your weapons and armor. Just look at the naked, no food monster clears with comparable times to your own fully geared ones.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 20, 2018

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kawabata posted:

I think the rathalos bow has a higher fire element cap, which edges it out over the anjanath bow for crit element builds (plus the higher crit).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

LordHippoman posted:

I don't use it at all. It's too disruptive and leaves you wide open during the attack, and cannot be chained into a reload or hop. It also consumes a large part of your sharpness meter. It looks cool though. You do you and don't worry about how I or other gunlance users do stuff. As long as you don't cart, you're as valuable and useful as anybody else.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine being the one Japanese lady dumb enough to marry a fat gaijin who does nothing but play video games

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Imagine being the one Japanese lady dumb enough to marry a fat gaijin who does nothing but play video games

Judging by their population "growth," she's doing better than most.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Astroniomix posted:

I think the rathalos bow has a higher fire element cap, which edges it out over the anjanath bow for crit element builds (plus the higher crit).

Is there anywhere that lists how much additional element damage can be stacked onto weapons?

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.

LordHippoman posted:

I use it if I am out of ammo (usually when a roar or something interrupts me) and I have an opportunity to fit it in after a swipe on a monster that is getting back to its feet. Sometimes I use it when a monster part like Vaal Hazak's head presents itself with a short window to tag it. Also it tends to slip out sometimes if I am playing a shelling heavy style, and the look of the things never fails to please me.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I’ve been told the hammers stun values per attack are not directly linked to damage in previous MonHun games. Anyone know if that is true in World? I’ve not been able to find legit info that shows stun values per each attack.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

minmaxing
Pick a monster, turn it into a sword. Shut up and carve.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hey guys is deviljoe here yet. What new.... :yikes:

Oh cool. The proper amount of Japanese to be before you culturally apporpriate/dilute your kid....

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Holy poo poo, I was going to post about Monster Hunter World, a great game in what everyone says is a great series but which I sadly ignored until now. But then I read your lovely posts and I think man, posting these consistently lovely opinions is like missing that SAED when Nergi ambles away from you and everyone else knew that was going to happen. You know, embarrassing.

But then you post this poo poo and I think, your posts are even worse - like getting an AED when you thought you had charged your shield.

Watch the Team Darksiders Charge Blade video, it'll improve your game.

I mean, it can't make your posting worse.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Fair play to the guy if he's integrated into his society. Meanwhile I'm having to hire Urdu intepreters for lazy cunts who's lived here 50 years and haven't bothered to learn a single word of English.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Noooooo thread, don’t go down this road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is there a way to see the elemental damage cap of a certain weapon without just slotting elemental damage decorations until it tops out?