Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hip, and I feel it when I sort of rotate my leg outward or trying to put my knee on my chest

Guess I should’ve done more stretching 😐

It’s not killing me but it definitely hurts at various positions

I don’t think it’s that severe but wondering how long it will take to heal, I don’t want to stop lifting I was just getting in a groove with leg work

It can be this, due to compression from squatting your discs/cord may have gotten tweaked a bit and it is expressing itself as hip pain. I know this is a thing, because it is what I have/had.

Supine 90/90 stretch is what my physio has me do and it works great, may want to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Comfy Fleece Sweater, if the pain is at the front of your hip, make sure you're squeezing your glutes at the beginning of the squat and try to keep them that way through the lift.

That's pain on the outside of the leg running down to the knee, possibly through to the ankle when it's really bad.

You really are the health and fitness expert, aren't you?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Can confirm, too wide stance caused me to have hip pain

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dum Cumpster posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater, if the pain is at the front of your hip, make sure you're squeezing your glutes at the beginning of the squat and try to keep them that way through the lift.

Oh poo poo yes, this. Helps so much.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dum Cumpster posted:

That's pain on the outside of the leg running down to the knee, possibly through to the ankle when it's really bad.

You really are the health and fitness expert, aren't you?

1. Idk wikipedia said that it can manifest as a lot of different things considering the sciatic nerve is what feeds the whole leg the zap zaps to make it wiggle and jiggle. It made sense.

2. No I'm just a sperglord autodidact. I took an exercise physiology MOOC once and occasionally read Grey's Anatomy as a kid. We had this awesome copy that had a bunch of transparent films. Also that Body Worlds exhibit was loving rad as gently caress.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Comedy option: If you've hosed yourself up, please consult an IRL doctor and not an internet doctor before you return to your autoerotic asphyxiation routine on the cable machine.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I definitely used a wider stance this time, I thought it was supposed to make you stronger, oh well

Zil posted:

It can be this, due to compression from squatting your discs/cord may have gotten tweaked a bit and it is expressing itself as hip pain. I know this is a thing, because it is what I have/had.

Supine 90/90 stretch is what my physio has me do and it works great, may want to give it a shot.

Yeah that looks like it would feel great for relief, thanks :)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

The angle of a super arched bench is probably healthier for your shoulders :shobon:

I think it's also easier to keep your scapula pulled back as well. I just go for a middle ground. I have just enough arc to maybe get a small fist under my back and it's working pretty well for me so far.

edit: I also get the hip flexor pain at the bottom of a squat. I've started doing high bars with a little pause and without dive bombing them and so far so good. Someone on reddit suggested you take ~25% of your max and hold it at the bottom for as long as you can while staying as tight as possible, and that seems to help as well, although it'll wear you out more than you think, so I usually just do a short hold in the warmup, then do the longer one after my sets.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 19, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm gonna try the "squeeze your glutes throughout the entire lift" cue, I feel like I used to know to do this but forgot

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Im always squeezing my glutes even when im not at the gym

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hemale in pain posted:

Im always squeezing my glutes even when im not at the gym

This is a pro tip to keep any wayward dongs/dildos from ending up inside you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're frequently tweaking your groin try using the good girl machine.

A few light-ish sets every leg day fixed my issues right up (the first week after I tried it was agony so clearly there was a weakness not being addressed with simple compounds).

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not sure about him, but it's not a groin/adductor muscle that's tweaked. It feels like a hip flexor, other than at the bottom of a squat, I'd feel pain whenever I would lift that leg up really high, which I think the dude said he got the same thing. Probably illiopsoas if I had to guess.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The Program sustains.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

sassassin posted:

If you're frequently tweaking your groin try using the good girl machine.

A few light-ish sets every leg day fixed my issues right up (the first week after I tried it was agony so clearly there was a weakness not being addressed with simple compounds).

That’s a p gross name for the hip adductor machine

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

dads friend steve posted:

are you confusing them? The one he's talking about you bring your legs together. The abductor machine is the bad girl machine which is the opposite. anyway good chat steve, come around for a beer sometime

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dads friend steve posted:

Girls are pretty gross, yeah.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
bench presses and curls are the most boring exercises in the world

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

baw posted:

what the gently caress

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

MikeCrotch posted:

what the gently caress

baw
Nov 5, 2008

:colbert:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

baw posted:

beta spotted.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

I would say fight me IRL, but since you don't bench and curl it wouldn't be fair for you.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

pull ups and chin ups are the most fun because they are the only ones that improve when I cut :smith:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Deadlift doubles tonight

180kg x2
220kg x2
230kg x2
235kg x2 (518lbs)
215kg x2
205kg x2

:getin:

Feeling strong. Doing a strongman comp in 6 weeks. Going to get murdered but its my first ever comp of any sort so should be fun.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Kevin Spacey, known child molester, did bench presses in the film "American Beauty"

just sayin

baw
Nov 5, 2008

and dont even get me started on the types of people who do curls

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
I mean, you do need some strength to keep the minorities down. :shrug:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

He's never seen a leg day.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Vargatron posted:

He's never seen a leg day.

when those came out the joke was "he probably thought the muscle would trickle down"

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Is vodka and cola a good pre-workout drink?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KinkyJohn posted:

Is vodka and cola a good pre-workout drink?

coke has caffeine which is good

vodka will make you not feel pain which seems like a double edged sword here

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Caffeine helps. Keep the amount of vodka down and make sure you stretch plenty

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Doing exercise drunk does not make you better!!!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Of course it does. It also makes you more attractive when you check yourself out in the mirror

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Funny story, I kept getting off center when I would go under the bar for squats. I figured out it's because the power rack was off center of the mirror that was set up on the column in front of it.

I'm bad at weightlifting.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Vodka would have helped you ignore that. With alcohol the whole world is a bosu ball.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I pulled off a trigger point release last night. It feels really good.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I stayed alkaline all last week and had a myofascial release. My cum has actually flowed into my brain and muscles as is the objective of gua sha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

KyloWinter posted:

I stayed alkaline all last week and had a myofascial release. My cum has actually flowed into my brain and muscles as is the objective of gua sha

Is this Qigong for bros?