Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm like 90% sure I remember him wearing a suit whenever you go somewhere with him

Oh yeah he wears like an off-white suit and no tie I think. Sojiro owns

EDIT: Sojirowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pablo Nergigante posted:

EDIT: Sojirowns

:hai:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dragonatrix posted:

Ah, yeah, that's definitely fair. That part was too obvious for all the wrong reasons, because of when it started and all. Even if someone didn't figure it out relatively quickly then, that it always happened to conveniently obscure information around the plan and nothing else would've made it especially blatant.

It doesn't bother me too much since RPGs are rarely subtle but alas it makes me think of what could've been

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wish Akechi would have just been rolled into the same character as Shido, or at least made them partners and you had to fight both of them at the same time. Shido just doesn't feel like a threat next to Akechi, even though Shido is really the thematic antagonist of the game, and beating Akechi makes the Shido fight feel more like icing the cake than a real final battle. People talk about the Hawaii trip feeling like a leftover from a different development phase, but the Akechi fight feels just about equal in terms of being hastily slapped together. At that point, his social link is only level eight, and then they have to give you both 9 AND 10 in the same scene. They also try to make you go through a really weird rollercoaster of emotion, where when he first confronts you he's now got the evil glare, then he tells you about his tragic past and how he wishes he could have met you earlier, then he talks about how the only thing he wants is to be better than you and kill all of you, summons Loki and drives himself berserk, reveals himself as the Black Mask, then he helps you escape from Cognitive Akechi and is now supposed to be sympathetic again. Shido is supposed to be the primary antagonist, but he feels like an afterthought next to Akechi, and you don't even get to enjoy the satisfaction of his change of heart because instantly his subordinates are like "yeah lets just cover this up" and the game shifts gears into the Goblet taking his place as antagonist.

Also, I never even registered that the game was maybe trying to misdirect you into thinking Makoto was the traitor because I thought it was supposed to be obvious who the traitor was. By that point, Makoto was almost as much the main character of the game as the actual MC.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just got to the depths of Mementos and revealed that Igor is evil. I'm about to go fight the Holy Grail again. Roughly how far am I from the end?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

irlZaphod posted:

Just got to the depths of Mementos and revealed that Igor is evil. I'm about to go fight the Holy Grail again. Roughly how far am I from the end?

You're at the very end of the game, basically one short dungeon

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You're at the very end of the game, basically one short dungeon
Oh cool, thanks. I'll hopefully manage to beat the game within 12 months in that case. :v:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I finally beat the second palace boss light night, though I had actually cleared the dungeon a few days ago and just needed to actually grind out the fight. The boss fight itself essentially comes down to RNG since two of the four enemies have access to elemental skills that will oneshot a party member if they hit a weakness on Merciless and at worst will clean sweep all three of your party members on the first turn, so you have to reset the fight enough times until your whole party survives the first two turns and you're able to deal with the casters.

I finished the Palace five days before the deadline so I had access to Death7 and Sun3, and after that played all the way to obtaining Makoto. The pacing of that segment is actually kind of weird - you go nearly 2/3 weeks without being able to Social Link with Yusuke at all, and his SLink only becomes available about three days before getting Makoto. I'm also honestly not surprised someone would dip out on hanging with Sojiro - you have to hang out with him or make coffee 6+ times with a matching Persona just to advance from Rank 2 to 3. You might feel like you're not wasting your time early on when you can't leave town at night, but once the game hits you with a Guts stat check at the airsoft store, you get access to Temperance at night, and then Shinjuku opens up, endlessly grinding away with Shinjiro can feel like a really low return on investment.

Another thing that's interesting about a replay is how much small foreshadowing is in the game. Some of it's obvious even in your first playthrough, but how early in the game they reference future events is neat. From the beginning of the game you can hear ambient conversations about the lucrative part-time jobs in Shibuya, as soon as you clear the first Palace there's a Medjed book available and you start hearing about weird happenings to fast-food companies, and after the second palace there's two class sessions about gold/money and Morgana makes a reference about hoping the next palace is somewhere that can print infinite money. Although, there's one scene that actually never pays off: before your trip to the TV Station, Ryuji doesn't want to go, and then seems like he has an idea and does a sarcastic "oh well I guess if I HAVE to go then I will," then says maybe he should get a haircut as he's walking away. It really felt like it was leaning to imply Ryuji was gonna do some Phantom Thieves publicity stunt or something, but never does anything, and you're the one the woman asks to respond to Akechi. It's possible this scene was changed late into production or something, on the wiki it says that Akechi's social link was supposed to be totally optional but it got too hard to implement so they made it automatic, so it's possible Ryuji originally got into it with him or something, I don't know. Another scene I thought was out of place was when Ann and Makoto make up - they make plans after school and decide to call each other by their first names and make a comment on how weird it feels to say, and then immediately after this scene Yusuke asks Makoto via IM what they should call her and Ann brags that they already call each other by first name.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've just realised that the game basically allows you to be a complete dick to Akechi all the way through. At least when he's hanging out in LeBlanc, isn't the bottom option if you talk to him always just "Get out"?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You can totally just dunk on Akechi every chance you get and it's deserved and great. Troll him online. :colbert:

Same with Nishima, who deserves it even more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can also dunk on Tora, but why would you you monster.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, yeah... you can be pretty mean to Mishima too when he gets overly hyped about the Phantom Thieves.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I just found this again, today:

I still find it bizarre that someone complained about this, and amusing in retrospect, because once you get to the end the agreement to take part in the game is alluding to the whole game between Igor and Yaldoboth.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

What on earth where you doing with your time that you were unable to hang out with your surrogate family?

ajkalan posted:

What the gently caress

Not having Angelic kindness?

Radish posted:

Yeah Haru getting a movie introducing her halfway through the game and then not being relevant until basically the end (and even then barely which sucked) was another thing that felt like it was the result of editing over the course of many plot changes. The entire Hawaii trip felt weird and pointless as well so I wouldn't be surprised if that was originally something else entirely. Yusuke just randomly walking into scene because his trip to California was diverted but then not mattering in that event anyway also felt like something that was hastily fixed last minute.

I'm really hoping the next Persona changes the format since I'm kind of done with the slow roll out of characters. The ones near the end either get short changed like Haru or the Poochy treatment (where everyone has to talk about how awesome they are as they were devoid of real interaction for 75% of the game) like Naoto.

Honestly, Yusuke just randomly walking in made me laugh.

The slow character roll out is a drag, especially when you're stuck with someone you hate like Morgana or Teddie for way longer than characters you might like.

IcePhoenix posted:

This is also game where some enemies have OHKO moves so that's probably a cool way to lose a bunch of dungeon progress.

Don't forget hard mode becomes rocket tag where Shadows (cough Intrepid Knight unconvincing cough) can one shot kill you, and you can't turn the difficulty down!

I love P3 the most out of all the Persona games, but at the same time man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My dumb personal favourite Confidant list:

Fool: Ehhh they're all story-based so discounting this one
Magician: Junpei (P3P)
Priestess: Fuuka (P3P)
Empress: Mitsuru (P3P)
Emperor: Yusuke (P5)
Hierophant: Dojima (P4)
Lovers: Yukari (P3P)
Chariot: Chie (P4)
Justice: Nanako (P4)
Hermit: Futaba (P5)
Fortune: Naoto (P4)
Strength: Daisuke (P4)
Hanged Man: Naoki (P4)
Death: Takemi (P5)
Temperance: Kawakami (P5)
Devil: Ohya (P5)
Tower: Shinya (P5)
Star: Akihiko (P3P)
Moon: Shinjiro (P3P)
Sun: Yoshida (P5)

I went back and forth on a few of those. I initially had Iwai for Hanged, but as much as I liked the guy, Naoki's SL left a stronger impression. Also didn't care for anybody from Devil or Tower.

Also all the ones I picked from P3P were from the female side. The male/neutral links were either bad or just not that impressive.

Huh, you didn't like Mutatsu OR Tanaka?

Some of them are much closer competition than others, but I agree with you for the most part. I like Ryuji, Mutatsu and Tanaka more, though.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can fuse Personas with resistance/immunity to Light/Dark (the elements with the OHKO moves). You can also carry around sacrificial items that block them, and use skills that can absorb a single hit from them.

That said, they have pretty poor accuracy and are rarely the main threat to the party. If you get KO'd by one it's almost always a one-off.

Teammates consuming Homoculus is the worst change P3P made. I lost like 2 hours of leveling once because one of those hair things in the third block killed me with Mamudo when I was using Pale Rider, who is RESISTANT. :|

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cuntellectual posted:

Huh, you didn't like Mutatsu OR Tanaka?

Some of them are much closer competition than others, but I agree with you for the most part. I like Ryuji, Mutatsu and Tanaka more, though.

Mutatsu was okay, but his link took a long time to really get anywhere and I'm not even sure it was a satisfactory conclusion. Shinya is a bit of a brat, but his Phantom Thieves fanboyism is alright.

I couldn't get behind Tanaka at all. 'Terrible person becomes slightly less terrible person' just didn't do it for me.

As for Ryuji, I liked it, but I related to Chie more. Also you tend to finish Ryuji's link really early, so I usually just forgot most of it after midgame.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

As for Ryuji, I liked it, but I related to Chie more. Also you tend to finish Ryuji's link really early, so I usually just forgot most of it after midgame.

Chie is a better character in the context of the in-game scenes, but her social link is really boring compared not just to Ryuji, but next to almost everyone. Her link is basically "hey you wanna go down to the riverbed and kick stuff" up until the last two ranks where she stands up to bullies. Ryuji's link is better than most of the links in P4, and it would be great if ranking him up changed his personality in the main game because otherwise he's a really sort of annoying character once Yusuke shows up and his main character trait is relegated to saying the phrase "lovely adults."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Chie is a better character in the context of the in-game scenes, but her social link is really boring compared not just to Ryuji, but next to almost everyone. Her link is basically "hey you wanna go down to the riverbed and kick stuff" up until the last two ranks where she stands up to bullies. Ryuji's link is better than most of the links in P4, and it would be great if ranking him up changed his personality in the main game because otherwise he's a really sort of annoying character once Yusuke shows up and his main character trait is relegated to saying the phrase "lovely adults."

ryuji is the best character in the game and also suffers from being the designated instigator and victim of every single one of the writers' terrible gags/plot contrivances

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I did go back and read Chie's link again to see if it was just nostalgia, and I do admit most of it is a little bland til the last few ranks. I think her and Ryuji both end on a similarly strong note though, so I'm willing to still give her the edge up for personal bias. Plus her Valentine's scene in P4G was extra sweet.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

ryuji is the best character in the game and also suffers from being the designated instigator and victim of every single one of the writers' terrible gags/plot contrivances

They really gave up on trying to keep him interesting once your party starts to fill out and like you said, he turns into a vehicle for the dumb plot points while all the cool stuff is handed to Makoto/Futaba. He's the Yosuke "best friend" role in P5 and does a great job of it in the beginning, and I love his social link, but eventually they just run out of things for him to say.

I'm not sure why they always give the in-fighting role to the best friend, with Yosuke being a poo poo to Kanji, Ryuji/Morgana being a poo poo to each other (Ryuji gets a pass on the blame because gently caress Morgana), and even Junpei getting all mad at you in P3 over wanting to be the leader

ApplesandOranges posted:

Plus her Valentine's scene in P4G was extra sweet.

When are they going to finally release this on the console PSN so more than fifteen people can play it? I haven't looked into any of the extra scenes because it's the only thing that could ever bring me back for another playthrough and I like the idea of maybe playing P4 again one day

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 21, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Junpei doesn't get mad at you being the leader (he wants to be at first but forgets about it pretty quick), he's mad because he feels like you completely overshadow him at everything (even the one thing he's good at - fighting) and when you end the Dark Hour he won't have anything. That said him just going "eh forget it" after beating The Hierophant and The Lovers was kinda weird. The entire thing is especially weird if you play the female protagonist as having an unrequited crush on him, but whatever.

I dunno why though, I guess they like it has a contrast to the MC's even headed and unifying leader personality.

On the note of the MC's personality: P5 and especially P4 just don't match up to P3's protagonists in character development (which is one of the areas the male MC has an edge in, but they're both good for it). The way dialogue options change to reflect the MC's growth as a person is nice.

I suspect part of the problem with Ryuji is that it's awkward to have him be super hot headed if he's chilled out from his social link, or super chill if you hadn't done his social link.I suspect if P5 had a clearer vision from the start they would have had time to add in more alternate takes on certain dialogue points to take your social link rankings into account, but that was one of the sacrifices that ended up having to be made to get the game out in any reasonable amount of time was nice.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mutatsu was okay, but his link took a long time to really get anywhere and I'm not even sure it was a satisfactory conclusion. Shinya is a bit of a brat, but his Phantom Thieves fanboyism is alright.

I couldn't get behind Tanaka at all. 'Terrible person becomes slightly less terrible person' just didn't do it for me.

I admit a big part of why I liked Tanaka was how he changed from trying to blackmail you to threatening you with "Look, I'm just saying, if you tell anyone, it's not gonna be my fault if a lot of pizzas end up at your house, if you catch my drift..."

I feel like the Devil is the most poorly utilized arcana, character wise, but the Tower comes there too. As much as I disliked the little brat from P4, he did reflect the thematics of the arcana fairly well.

Also I forgot to mention that putting anyone other than Koromaru as best Strength link is just plain wrong. :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cuntellectual posted:

Junpei doesn't get mad at you being the leader (he wants to be at first but forgets about it pretty quick), he's mad because he feels like you completely overshadow him at everything (even the one thing he's good at - fighting) and when you end the Dark Hour he won't have anything. That said him just going "eh forget it" after beating The Hierophant and The Lovers was kinda weird. The entire thing is especially weird if you play the female protagonist as having an unrequited crush on him, but whatever.

Junpei getting mad at you after the Lovers battle can be kind of weird in the P3P girl route since it's possible to get his social link to 10 before it happens.

It fits in the guy version because the male protagonist and Junpei never really get the chance to get all that close, but the him and the female protagonist are potentially BFFs so his anger comes off as out of nowhere and a little bizarre.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cuntellectual posted:

Also I forgot to mention that putting anyone other than Koromaru as best Strength link is just plain wrong. :colbert:

I love Koromaru, but as cute and fuzzy as his link was, it ultimately didn't really go anywhere. Koromaru's great, he likes everyone, and he'll stick by your side. Daisuke had some actually interesting issues (though I can't be the only one who was expecting him to come out towards the end but we got sucker-punched). Kou and Yuko also had issues, but were infinitely less interesting.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

So I finished the game last night, I fused a few high level Personas (one with Debilitate) to tackle the final dungeon.

Overall it was enjoyable enough, lots of things I liked about it but some things I disliked. I do agree with what people are saying in the current discussion about e.g. Haru joining so late (it's annoying that it usually won't let you start S. Links until 2 weeks after the Palace deadline). I ended up playing it in bursts somewhat, I had it since launch but would get distracted by other games. Around December I decided to just go finish it off.

I got all my social stats maxed but only maxed about half the Confidants. Towards the end I was trying to focus on party members. I just ran with Ryuji/Ann/Morgana in the final dungeon.

Is there anything which can happen differently in the endgame? There didn't seem to be any choices really or anything, but do you get a different ending if you Max all Confidants? It seemed like a pretty "good" ending, but when I played P4G recently I didn't get the best ending.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
I'm stuck and its totally my fault because I am frozen by choice. I have beat the first dungeon, got introduced to Mementos and such but I keep not wanting to play because I fear I am missing something by not hanging out/doing certain tasks at the correct time or in the correct order.

I'm not a min-maxer 100% kind of person so does anyone have a good general guide, like during this day/week try these things as opposed to a 100% walkthrough that lays out each and every step? I really like the game but the level of stuff you can do after school has me scratching my head on what to focus on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'm stuck and its totally my fault because I am frozen by choice. I have beat the first dungeon, got introduced to Mementos and such but I keep not wanting to play because I fear I am missing something by not hanging out/doing certain tasks at the correct time or in the correct order.

I'm not a min-maxer 100% kind of person so does anyone have a good general guide, like during this day/week try these things as opposed to a 100% walkthrough that lays out each and every step? I really like the game but the level of stuff you can do after school has me scratching my head on what to focus on.

I'm just ahead of you.

Some really handy stuff I was told that you should work towards as priority.

Get the Doctor persona in the clinic to 7 as quickly as you can. This lets you buy an accessory (at half price) that regenerates SP which is absolutely ludicrous.

Get the politician persona to 2 as quickly as you can. This lets you ask for at least double cash from hold ups.

Meta objectives that are a result of this are get guts to at least 2 to progress the doctor and get proficiency to 2 to progress the politician.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

If you're not worried about min/maxing, there's nothing you can get locked out of by not progressing a story to a certain point fast enough, as far as I know.

Otherwise, if you're not sure what to prioritize, progressing your teammates will give them abilities that help in combat, progressing non-combat confidants will give you bonuses that can help you or the entire team in combat (mostly passively, though a couple will provide a more active benefit like equipment or giving you more free time), and progressing social stats will help you progress in various confidant ranks.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Look up (or learn in game) which days give bonuses to raising certain stats. Stuff like studying at the restaurant being better on rainy days. Do those things on those days.
Always have a book checked out from the library. Free stat points whenever you luck into a seat on the train.
If you have spare money, there's a 5000 yen smoothie for sale every sunday in the underground walkway.
Raise the doctor and the fortune teller links. Doctor gives you the SP regen item and fortune teller lets you gain more stats/relationship points.
The maid link also saves you time, especially once you max it.

Other than that, spend time with people when they're available. If you're taking advantage of all the stat-boosted days, you should be able to progress in the stats at a reasonable speed while having about half of your time open for confidants. Always try to beat a palace in one day when possible.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Whenever it rains, head to the restaurant in Shibuya to study. On Sundays, go down to the juice stand in the train station in Shibuya to buy a drink. Buy plant nutrients to give to your plant. Don't worry about renting movies and missing the deadline, you never actually have to pay anything if you miss it. Make sure to brew coffee at least once. If Sojiro's rank won't increase when you hang out with him, brew some coffee to get some points with him. Always make sure to keep a Persona on you that is of the same Arcana as the person you're hanging out with, but note that this doesn't matter for the Sun, Moon, Fool, Magician and Judgement.

Once you get the Fortune confidant to a high enough level, you can pay her to give you points with a Confidant of your choice, which is very helpful if their rank won't increase. Temperance is also a great Confidant to try and get done early, as her final ability allows you to go out at night even if you've been to a Palace/Mementos.

Ganbatte.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kaza42 posted:

Always try to beat a palace in one day when possible.

There's a couple reasons for this one in particular. As you've learned from Kamoshida's palace, beating it in one day is the dungeon run but the full palace is a minimum of three days, since the calling card takes a day and then the next day is the boss fight.

But, there's a catch here. If you beat the dungeon and make it to the treasure, then you cannot do Confidant scenes with the other Thieves (Ryuji and Ann) until you send the calling card. And as a secondary catch, when there's a week until the deadline for the Palace you can't hang out with them at all if you haven't beaten the boss fight. Yeah, it's pretty mean like that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just keep in mind that certain Confidants are only available on certain days (especially with how early on in the game you are, you don't have many available in general).

Oh and Sojiro (the Hierophant Confidant) is a tricky one. Getting his Rank 3 and Rank 4 scenes require brewing coffee and spending time with him before it'll progress. Then at Rank 4, it's plot-locked until after the 4th Palace (late August).

Don't stress though, just keep hanging out with your friends and working on social stats between Palaces.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Upgrade Temperance ASAP, this will give you access to a massage that lets you go out at night after explore mementos and gives you a lot of spare time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Upgrade Temperance ASAP, this will give you access to a massage that lets you go out at night after explore mementos and gives you a lot of spare time.

Something I forgot to mention but Temperance is unavailable during summer vacation.

it was not fun knowing that the literal next time we met would be when I unlocked their max rank but not being able to do it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Brewing coffee is a must anyway since it restores SP and those items are hard to get.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Something I forgot to mention but Temperance is unavailable during summer vacation.

it was not fun knowing that the literal next time we met would be when I unlocked their max rank but not being able to do it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to. Sitting at rank none for a month and a half was infuriating

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Fortune link costs 100,000 yen to start, but it's worth it. At Rank 7, you get the ability to pay 5,000 yen once a day to get "hangout points" towards any Confidant of your choosing without spending a time slot. So if the little text box for Ryuji says "You don't feel your relationship will become closer yet...", and you'd normally have to spend a day or three hanging out with him without the Confidant storyline actually advancing, you can get points towards that without spending a timeslot on it. Ludicrously useful if you're trying to max out as many confidants as possible.

The GameFAQs "All confidants maxed on a new playthrough"-guide has you maxing out all Confidants with a month to spare without ever using that ability, so there's plenty of wiggle room.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 21, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
As a note, the confidants that need something maxed out aren't always who you might expect. The ones needing max in a stat IIRC are:

Proficency - Empress
Kindness - Hierophant
Knowledge - Star
Charm - High Priestess
Guts - Hanged Man

Also Star is probably the best social link in the game, perks wise, except Strength.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Got to the treasure in the third Palace, now I just need to grind out enough cash to last me to the next trip to Mementos - in the second palace I hammered out enough cash to fund my social excursions AND to 100k to buy two SP Adhesives without ever using the Mementos trick, but if I need another 100k just for the fortune teller I'm gonna be hard pressed not to take advantage. Sun 2 to ask for double money is cool, but there's a huge variance in how much you get (risking a free enemy turn to double down on 400 yen isnt worth it), and at this point enemies do enough damage to wipe you if asking for more money fails.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

All the advice so far has been very good. I'm replaying the game now on Merciless (I beat it on Normal on release) and while I was originally sticking to a guide, after the first month I started doing my own thing, and now I only refer back to it every once in a while to check on very specific things. For example, in order to max a social link with someone who isn't a Phantom Thief, you need to do a Mementos mission once they hit rank 8/9 or so. So, I'll check for things like how often they go to Mementos and things like that. I've seen people say that they maxed all social links without a guide, and like someone else said, the 100% guide doesn't even use the Fortune Teller skill and ends with a full month of free time. As long as you ALWAYS have a Persona of a matching Arcana when you meet someone and are doing the most efficient activities for boosting your stats, you'll be fine.

The only very specific hot tip I have is to go see movies, but don't go see the baking movie that boosts kindness because there's a fixed event where Ryuji asks you to go see it, and if you've seen it before you'll only get +1 kindness instead of +3.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of the joys of starting a new P5 file is getting Makoto to start stalking you again.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

One of the joys of starting a new P5 file is getting Makoto to start stalking you again.

I knew she stalked you in the school but I never noticed her in Shibuya until the 100% guide mentioned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Wow, thank you all for the tips I am totally diving back in this weekend.