Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Uno has sold 150 million copies despite being Crazy Eights with a few other cards added

They are making Uno 2: Dos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Plutonis posted:

Disappointed it didn't pick up where the first game left off, with only one card in hand, now you have to make it to two cards, what's gonna happen in the Los Números saga?!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Disappointed it didn't pick up where the first game left off, with only one card in hand, now you have to make it to two cards, what's gonna happen in the Los Números saga?!
Somewhere, a Nazi is planning to kickstart 14.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plutonis posted:

It should really be called Uno 2: Tres.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Plutonis posted:

It's already out, you can go and buy it at Target right this second.

It looks like it's exactly like Uno but you say Dos when you have two cards left in hand, and the wilds are a little different.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

food court bailiff posted:

It's already out, you can go and buy it at Target right this second.

It looks like it's exactly like Uno but you say Dos when you have two cards left in hand, and the wilds are a little different.

wait this wasn't a joke?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

wait this wasn't a joke?

The only joke is "mainstream" board game companies.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The only joke is "mainstream" board game companies.

yeah for all the bad stuff about the TG industry the mainstream board game industry is a parody of consumer capitalism

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It also has two stacks of cards you can match instead of one, and if you manage to match the color of both stacks (presumably to balance the fact that it's a lot easier to lay down cards), you force everybody else to draw a card. Otherwise it's mostly the same except for the aforementioned changed cards.

You could do a lot worse with children's games, really.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While he wasn't one of the great devils of this forum's mythology, I think it bears mentioning that James Shipman of Outlaw Press infamy apparently passed away last month. It seems to have only just recently come to the attention of RPGnet and the T&T community. There are already plenty of posts along the lines of "I'm sure he was a great personal friend [until he stole your poo poo]" and "he was very talented and creative [when he bothered to write his own stuff instead of stealing it]". I guess those of his friends he didn't betray over and over again and his relatives saw some personal value in him, and I'm sorry they have to feel the sting of that loss, but his ceaseless and deliberate theft is what he tried his damnedest to put out into the world and I'm glad that's finally over.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
James Shipman wasn't just a thief, he was an unrepentant one who would email the people he stole from to publish for profit thanking them for their "contributions." Good riddance.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be honest I only half believe it because "Fakes his own death so he can keep trying to publish stolen property" is entirely in character. Like, maybe if a new "J. S." doesn't pop up on Lulu in a few months selling Tunnels and Trolls reprints with stolen illustrations from Deviantart, then I'll be convinced.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is gross and unsurprising if true.

https://twitter.com/Sphynxian/status/978111459988312064

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Worth clicking through there to read the entire thread. Jessica Price had some useful input too:

https://twitter.com/delafina777/status/978124284848517120

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I think the quote that does it for me is:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/978124816292069376

Wants all the cookies for pandering sums up Paizo quite nicely.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

They got as big as they got feasting on those tough, stodgy grognard cookies, but they also love the rainbow sprinkles and sense of virtue they get out of the progressiveness cookies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I took a fair amount of poo poo for questioning Paizo's progressive bonafides, and yet I wish I'd been wrong. But I always felt they seemed totally disinterested in addressing the regressive poo poo at the heart of Pathfinder, and to me that was always the damning evidence. Granted, individual authors, artists, editors, and directors have definitely done their part and tried to be more forward-thinking, and I don't want to diminish that. But the core of of the company is still built on people who celebrate not changing things.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, this policy is straight up monstrous.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LuiCypher posted:

I think the quote that does it for me is:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/978124816292069376

Wants all the cookies for pandering sums up Paizo quite nicely.
Yeah okay that sounds exactly like Paizo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Reminder that this is what Lisa Stevens had to say about harassment at Paizo late last year:

quote:

My name is Lisa Stevens and I am the CEO and owner of Paizo Inc. Events of the past few weeks have compelled me to make this statement.

My company will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our employees, male or female. We will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our customers on paizo.com or at sanctioned organized play activities. Whenever I hear any allegations of sexual harassment or assault related to Paizo’s activities, I always immediately drop whatever I'm doing and I make getting to the bottom of these issues my top priority. We have banned people from paizo.com. We have banned people from participating in our organized play activities. We have stopped doing business with individuals. And we will continue to do so.

As a woman and a survivor of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape, I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of these attacks. I know what it is like to feel the shame, the terror, how it changes your life forever. And because of this, I will never stand for my company to condone this behavior.

Paizo’s employees are encouraged to come forward with any allegations of sexual harassment or assault and let a manager know as soon as possible. If criminal activities have taken place, they are encouraged to report it to the police and take legal action against the perpetrator. We have asked our employees to not engage in explosive and angry dialogue on paizo.com. We want our website to be a place where our customers feel safe and among friends. If there is problem on paizo.com, then our community team will handle it and, where appropriate, ban the perpetrator.

In closing, you have my word that I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and assault, and the same is true of Paizo. Please be aware that we treat these issues with tremendous sensitivity, and only disclose the specifics and resolutions of any such incidents on a need-to-know basis, even within Paizo or with our legal counsel. We do not and will not discuss these matters publicly. Every instance that I am aware of has been thoroughly investigated, and appropriate actions have been taken or are in the process of being taken. You have my word on this.

So Paizo encourages their employees to come forward with allegations of sexual harassment or assault, except when they want to treat them like attacks against the company, and they promise to handle every issue with tremendous sensitivity except you'll have to take their word for it because they won't discuss anything publicly.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

Reminder that this is what Lisa Stevens had to say about harassment at Paizo late last year:

So Paizo encourages their employees to come forward with allegations of sexual harassment or assault, except when they want to treat them like attacks against the company, and they promise to handle every issue with tremendous sensitivity except you'll have to take their word for it because they won't discuss anything publicly.

Don't forget - not just that they're treated like attacks against the company, but will be "treated accordingly." So better hope they aren't upset about your allegations of harassment, because they might otherwise apparently loving retaliate?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What the gently caress is even an "attack against the company?" Like, outside of this context or the lobby scene from the Matrix, what does attacking a company even loving look like? Saying mean things online?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What the gently caress is even an "attack against the company?" Like, outside of this context or the lobby scene from the Matrix, what does attacking a company even loving look like? Saying mean things online?

The OneShot thing was found to be an attack against the organization, and it's entirely believable for trolls to do this. Just, not as often and credibly as a lot of people seem to think.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

That Old Tree posted:

The OneShot thing was found to be an attack against the organization, and it's entirely believable for trolls to do this. Just, not as often and credibly as a lot of people seem to think.

Sure, but if this is the intended interpretation of Paizo's policy ("we're going to take every accusation of wrongdoing seriously and thoroughly investigate it") then that's one hell of a stupid way to frame it, and I can't say I'm inclined to be charitable towards Paizo at this point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Saying mean things online that result in lost sales, clients, employees, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

What this effectively means is that the company cares more about what a case will do in terms of external press and public perception about the company.

To pull what's probably a clumsy analogy, Larry Nassar was reported to college authorities over a hundred times for sexual abuse and harassment, and yet authorities never did anything because they didn't want to stain the name of the school with a sex scandal. Because if your company is organized around making a profit, and then you get embroiled in something that might damage your company's ability to make that profit, then you can be motivated in a way that prioritizes the protection of the company over the victim of a case.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Questioning any policies or speaking ill of the company? It seems like one of those banal phrases HR departments use to describe any form of criticism, constructive or unconstructive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Saying mean things online that result in lost sales, clients, employees, etc.

This is probably closer to the truth but everything in it is meaningless because it's impossible to tell whether or not those type of things had any impact. It's just purposely vague, like most NDA's and noncompete clauses, to be as controlling as possible.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 27, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The wording is vague enough that it allows them to do, well, whatever they want. Which is exactly what a company more worried about revenue than employee safety would do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That Old Tree posted:

Yea but OneShot handled it by taking the reasonable and not insane stance of 'we take these accusations seriously, here's our very transparent reporting on the investigation, we've got multiple paths confirming this was just bullshit so we're not going to act on it but we will continue to take these accusations just as seriously as always'. Paizo is taking the insane stance of 'this is an attack and how dare you????'

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
OneShot set the standard and frankly if they can, with their handful of folks, manage it, Paizo hasn't any excuses.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I certainly wasn't defending Paizo. I was just responding to "what even is 'attack on a company'?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It's important to not take this in a vacuum. This is absolutely tied to the poo poo that happened at the last PaizoCon, which included barely responding to one of their guests openly harassing a con-goer and physically attacking staff.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's important to not take this in a vacuum. This is absolutely tied to the poo poo that happened at the last PaizoCon, which included barely responding to one of their guests openly harassing a con-goer and physically attacking staff.

I didn't know about this. what the gently caress.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I didn't know about this. what the gently caress.

https://twitter.com/sphynxian/status/882440112646344708?lang=en

They handled it by, err, doing nothing, no ban for Webb and they shut down discussion about it on their forums. And about the issues Jessica had raised (Harassment from Mentzer that she was pressured not to talk about by management), and the child abuse gives you magic powers rules/demon they published).

To be fair, they did finally apologise for the last one, but only after I posted a thread specifically calling them out for the abuse bullshit, and it got a lot of traction off their forums. Given how many people on their forums were falling over themselves to be defend paizo no matter what, or to establish their edgelord credentials and throw around all the usual SJW accusations and 'it's only a game' etc., I think the management probably does know their audience pretty well, hence wanting to cover up any criticism they can.

PST fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 27, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The thing is, I don't doubt Lisa Stevens means what she says. She pretty clearly objected to to sexual harassment when she was at Wizards. But I feel like she's also demonstrated a certain blindness to the faults and failures to those she's close to. I'm not saying that to excuse Paizo or Stevens, mind. Being earnest and effective are two different things.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The thing is, I don't doubt Lisa Stevens means what she says. She pretty clearly objected to to sexual harassment when she was at Wizards. But I feel like she's also demonstrated a certain blindness to the faults and failures to those she's close to. I'm not saying that to excuse Paizo or Stevens, mind. Being earnest and effective are two different things.

I honestly don't know. I'm not familiar with her time at WotC except in the vaguest way, but from what I'm seeing it looks like another person who says they're against the vague concept of sexual harassment but isn't really that against the actual practice of sexual harassment

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think it's more that concept's equally evil twin, "sexual harassment is bad, but what my friends are doing isn't harassment because they don't mean anything bad by it, they're harmless really."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

From John Tynes' Salon article "Death to the Minotaur":

John Tynes posted:

Grand as that goal was, I don't believe it was the heart of Peter [Adkison]'s vision. That honor lay with his dream of revolutionizing corporate culture itself, of making Wizards a new kind of company. We would build an alt-culture workplace of smart young people. We would destroy hierarchies by a resolute program of egalitarian consensus. We would earn fabulous paychecks and free dental treatments. We would encourage diversity in every form.

Best of all, though, we would gently caress like rabbits. On "Who Knew? Day" employees wore badges proclaiming their sexual orientation. Intimate relationships sprouted like mold on bread, cutting across departments and seniorities with the hierarchy-smashing fervor of our consensus-driven team meetings. Heedless of status, even peasants and princes coupled, and fell apart.

The example was set right at the top: Peter and his wife, also an employee, had an open marriage. Wizards was a big horny summer camp, and we were starring in the teen sex comedy of our fevered dreams.

That August brought GenCon, the largest game convention in the country, and 20,000 or so joyful, pimply gamers descended on mild-mannered Milwaukee. That year Wizards took the unusual step of sending the entire company to the convention as an extravagant team-building exercise. It was four days of metaphorical firewalking, and when we came back we were exhausted.

Not content to stop there, Peter had another plan. He would rent a sizable ski lodge and charter a bus, and we'd all spend a weekend frolicking in the woods. About 30 of us went. We played games, ate junk food and drank heavily. And then, late at night, a bunch of us piled into a dark room and played Truth or Swill.

The game was organized, more or less, by Kyle, the head of customer service, and Corey, a co-worker of Rhias and Steve who helped them run the Magic tournament league. Both were gleeful cynics, black-humored children of goth and all-around entertaining guys. Before the game started Kyle was busy shaving Corey's head so he'd look more like Jean Reno in "The Professional."

Truth or Swill is one of those elemental games people play to break down social barriers. Each player in turn asks another player a personal question, and the player either answers truthfully or has to drink a shot of some crazed liquor swill. The questions typically deal with sex, in an ever-descending spiral of lewdness and intimacy. Truth or Swill is an unusual game in that it relies completely on trust. Any player can lie with impunity. There's no mechanism to challenge a statement, no formula to define interpersonal bonding.

The Wizards' Truth or Swill session was no different. By candlelight we climbed onto bunk beds, drinking steadily, and dropped our boundaries. One of the most common questions, of course, was which Wizards employee you would like to have sex with -- or had already had sex with.

Basking in shoulder-to-shoulder solidarity with his employees, Peter Adkison rattled off his workplace sexual encounters, both actual and desired. He wasn't boasting, vain or predatory. He just loved all of us, from the depths of his innocent geek heart, and saw nothing wrong with talking about his corporate sex life. We were all in this together, pioneering settlers of a new and better world.

Among a group of friends or colleagues, a game like this can be an amusing if occasionally disastrous good time. But among co-workers, on an official company function, with the CEO of the company and Linda, the head of human resources, openly participating, well ... it was a train wreck.

Not that we realized it that night. I didn't pay any attention to Carrie, a newly hired employee and sister to one of the executives, who came in for a few minutes and then abruptly left. No, that night the Utopian egalitarianism of Peter Adkison's geek vision revealed its most intimate summit: Wizards was indeed all about geeks getting rich, cool and laid, with nary a wedgie in sight. At long last, we had achieved consensus.

Like the dot-coms that followed, we were going to build a planet where geeks evolved from humans. But all we built was a madhouse, and then the bastards blew it up.

The morning after the Truth or Swill game, I rose groggily and wandered around. As I walked through the lodge I interrupted Peter, Carrie's sister, Lisa (a vice president at Wizards of the Coast), and Lisa's boyfriend, Vic (also an employee, of course). Lisa and Vic were dressing down Peter over his involvement in the game, an occurrence that I naively thought had been a fine thing. The room was full of tension and Peter was both angry and defensive. I beat a hasty retreat.

As we packed up to leave a little later I found Peter sitting, morose, on the front steps of the lodge. I sat down next to him in silence for a while. Finally, he spoke:

"This is becoming a company I don't want to be a part of anymore."

I didn't know what to say. I closed my eyes and thought about that wonderful world we had dreamed of in the depths of night, even as I felt it slipping away.

On Monday morning, I was summoned to a private meeting. Peter was there, as were Lisa and Vic, an abashed Linda, Brian the barefoot company attorney and Corey. They'd invited Corey since he was one of the organizers of the game, but I was present as some sort of vox populi, a representative of the rank and file. I wondered if Peter had asked for me.

The upshot was simple. Peter believed he'd done no real wrong, since his participation was emblematic of the kind of geektopia he was trying to build. The other stone-faced managers thought he was a fool. Corey angrily promised to shun any future company social events, as he felt he no longer had permission to communicate with his co-workers on anything other than a purely professional level. I mostly kept quiet -- the whole ugly scene was just depressing.

After the meeting, the board of directors reprimanded Peter and docked him a month's salary.

We had failed to achieve consensus. Management believed Peter had jeopardized the entire company with his behavior, the very behavior that the rest of us at the party thought was helping to strengthen it. We had little conception of sexual harassment laws, hostile work environments and all the other issues of the modern workplace.

We thought we were building a postmodern workplace, a cheerful throwback to an imagined past where an intimate guild of valiant heroes and heroines worked hard, played hard and made history, to borrow a slogan from Jeff Bezos. But in short order, we were just another corporation.

John Tynes posted:

Although Peter now acknowledges the strait-laced responsibility a CEO has to his or her shareholders, to some extent he mourns the "different sort of company" he says Wizards could have been. He looks back on the weekend of the Truth or Swill game wistfully. "I still don't think what we did was wrong. But society does, unfortunately."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp gently caress that guy, I guess. Especially gently caress his constant use of the word "we" when describing his own assumptions, beliefs, and experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My bold, visionary corporate concept: a workplace, but one where people gently caress all the time.