Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

There used to be a couple of video stores in town that had pool tables and arcade games. Then Blockbuster finally opened a store here in 2003, which strangely enough is where I rented Clerks. from for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

It's very weird to see how Hot Topic and Spencer's have evolved from their origins; the store full of goth/raver stuff and the store full of penis-themed dice kinda met in the middle.

Spencer's in particular also has lots of anime and gaming themed merchandise.

Presto posted:

Malls haven't been good since the arcades closed.

This is true, but I rediscovered mall food a few months ago and it turns out some of it was good enough to do a few return trips. The teriyaki place in particular, despite changing ownership and name, has kept the same recipes from 25 years ago so that really helped the nostalgia trip.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So it looks like KB Toys is being resurrected to fill the void left by TRU:

https://trib.al/3ZaVpHm

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Is that the bourbon chicken place

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

It'll be as successful as Crumbs' 5 minute 'resurrection'. BTW, does anyone have access to the current Moody's 'at risk for default' list for retailers?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Crow Jane posted:

Playing the long game.

Next natural wonders will reopen to sell orbs again 🔮

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Bellevue, WA has an awesome mall food court at crossroads. It's all small independent ethnic places. Then its got a good gaming store, good independent book store, and is packed with quarter ride machines.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Presto posted:

Malls haven't been good since the arcades closed.

Yup. That's why I never got tagged for loitering as a kid, I was in and out of the arcade throwing quarters into things instead.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Crow Jane posted:

I dunno if another big box toy store can exist any more without TRU's brand recognition, but KB Toys was mostly mall-based and that ship's sinking even faster, so I guess they'd have to change their model to do that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

I never really even understood the practice of being a mallrat, because you needed gas money to drive 45 minutes to loiter.

Where I grew up, you could get to like at least 16 different full on malls within a 45 minute drive's distance, as long as it wasnt around rush hour. Hell there was one within 10 minutes and like 6 or 7 within 20 minutes. And even if you were going the whole 20 minutes out you're going like 12-15 miles maybe. That's like $3 of gas tops back then if you had a real gas hungry car.

You could probably manage to get a lot more malls within like a 45 minute drive in some place like California back in the heyday.

Crow Jane posted:

Kinda weird since the people doing it had just bought the brand off of Toys R Us in the first place (TRU having bought it in the firesale of company assets after all the stores closed)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember TRU being a cavernous place filled with tons of stock, so much that the employees couldn't keep track of it all, so that if you looked hard enough you could find weird nerd poo poo. KayBee I don't remember being as specialized, so it wasn't as exciting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember TRU being a cavernous place filled with tons of stock, so much that the employees couldn't keep track of it all, so that if you looked hard enough you could find weird nerd poo poo. KayBee I don't remember being as specialized, so it wasn't as exciting.

The only KayBee I ever saw was pretty depressing. Just stuffed off in a random corner of the mall. It had an aisle of standard board games, an aisle of Lego and random dolls, then an aisle of just whatever random crap. They had a selection of like 20 video games locked in a case and a tendency to lose the key. That corner of the mall was inexplicably badly lit all the time. It was like people forgot it existed and never bothered replacing the bulbs that burned out.

To the surprise of exactly nobody it didn't last very long.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
The one in my mall was smaller than a Toys R Us but had a pretty good selection- nothing but good toys. About 5-6 aisles wide. The Waldenbooks of toy stores

it was next to waldenbooks

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Amazon is considering buying some Toys R Us locations:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/amazon-is-said-to-have-mulled-acquiring-some-toys-r-us-stores

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Caganer posted:

The one in my mall was smaller than a Toys R Us but had a pretty good selection- nothing but good toys. About 5-6 aisles wide. The Waldenbooks of toy stores

it was next to waldenbooks

As far as I can recall, all of the Toys R Us around me have always either been freestanding or the largest tenant in a strip mall.

I never considered TRU and KB Toys to be very similar, other than the fact that they both sold toys. KB in our area only ever occupied small to medium sized spaces in the mall.

Until TRU came to town (at least to my memory), Lionel's Kiddie City was the toy store. K-Mart had toys, but their selection (and displays) weren't as good as Gold Circle, and I think one time even Zayre.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There were two flavors of KB: One is the smaller store you'd find in a mall interior, the other was KB Toy Works, which was a store more akin to a TRU (larger stores, strip malls, etc).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I bought a lot of stuff from KB Toys over the years. There was one in a strip mall about 2 miles down the road, which was way better than the half-hour drive to get the TRU.

KB coming back could work. But it probably won't.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
KB Toys was an absolutely incredible place to purchase cheap video games in the late 90s and early 00s. They'd have tons of uncommon stuff for $5 all the time, weird defunct Neo Geo Pocket Color accessories, it was great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now that I'm thinking about it, our mall's KB was also right next to the Waldenbooks, and I picked up some weird games for $5. AD&D Pool of Radiance was my introduction to D&D.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't seen a proper brick and mortar toy store since I was a kid, but boy are there a lot of "gaming stores" selling nerd poo poo and manchildren toys. It seems the business just grew with its aging demographic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah board game shops blew up around the Seattle area in the last five years. A lot of them are combination bar/store/gaming tables and they rake in the dough alongside having private rooms for rent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't seen a proper brick and mortar toy store since I was a kid, but boy are there a lot of "gaming stores" selling nerd poo poo and manchildren toys. It seems the business just grew with its aging demographic.

That's a pretty dumb assertion. It doesn't even make the most minimal of sense because Toys R Us type places have long skewed towards toys specifically for younger children as opposed to toys for teens and up. Additionally, toy stores first got huge in the US back in the 40s/50s.

You also seem generally ignorant that kids continue to play video games and want toys for it so of course that stuff's going to be at gamestop, it's not like nobody under 25 plays video games or whatever.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We have those stores in the UK as well I’m afraid. Collectable Stuff that used to be cheaply made tat that little Jimmy or Sally could save up pocket money for, is now “limited edition” and way above a child’s price point. It sucks for the collectors as well, in the 1990s that same money would have bought you a genuinely limited edition hand painted Star Trek statue or signed print or whatever not a lovely Pokemon key chain.

The minecraft stuff is outrageous, a game they know is hugely popular with the young kiddies and every single item a rip off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Baronjutter posted:

Manchildren toys, aka "toys". Jesus, the whole Puritan culture hating fun thing gets really old. Being a manchild means being an irresponsible dumbass, not committing the dreaded sin of owning toys.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why would you own toys if you didn’t have children?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Agreed, the manchildren in the NBA should get rid all of their childish crap.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

https://www.jayco.com/products/toy-haulers/

Take a guess, genius.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

Agreed, the manchildren in the NBA should get rid all of their childish crap.

I don’t even know what this means. Great post, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don’t even know what this means. Great post, though.

Basketballs? Them's is toys.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh ok. That surely makes a ton of sense. You got me.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why do people watch movies :dougwalker:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Why do people even have fun or pleasure? Why I drink my nutrient slurry three times a day and I like tolerate it!

I actually do have a kid, which is good social cover against judgmental asshats, but you shouldn't need one to be able to play with toys, because toys are rad.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whoa. It was a super basic question and I get it now. You love toys.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
everyone loves toys, some people get hung up on other people loving the wrong toys

its like how games are games until they become sports, which are more serious, and for grown ups

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You're typing on a toy right now, you dumbass.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Well that doesn’t sound right at all. Wait, is everything a toy?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Whoa. It was a super basic question and I get it now. You love toys.

It's very obvious what you're trying to do, dumbshit

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cicero posted:

I actually do have a kid, which is good social cover against judgmental asshats, but you shouldn't need one to be able to play with toys, because toys are rad.

I have a buddy that I've known since high school who never stopped being really into Lego. Not collecting, but just actually building stuff. I always thought it was a cool hobby, but over the years I've seen him take a ton of legitimately mean spirited poo poo over it. Of course, now that he has a kid who's old enough to enjoy his toys with him everything is fine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"i'm a big boy, because i play with big kid toys, and not baby toys" -a grown man itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Well that doesn’t sound right at all. Wait, is everything a toy?

If you use it to derive pleasure, yes. A toy is literally a tool for creating enjoyment. Surprise, if you bought a fast car to go fast when you don't require one, that car is a toy!