Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/975711014896504835?s=19

As expected. Claire's Stores has filed for bankruptcy.

Is that another example of a company bought with debt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Horseshoe theory posted:

Weird way to write "pay the effected employees all the funds and leave creditors and shareholders with bupkus".

Nah, a lot of the time the creditors who get left holding the bag are small businesses who the company has been loving the whole time anyway. Ideally it'd be employees -> creditors below x total revenue (insert your own metric here) -> other unrelated creditors -> minority shareholders -> PE firms dead loving last.

Instead it's banks -> other banks -> gently caress you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ideally, the employees would own the business and reach a consensus about how each of them deserves to be paid for what they produce and there would be no investors. And all venture capitalists would be loaded into catapults and flung into the sea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh no not Clare’s!

My town centre is dying and Clare’s is the last shop for teenagers left standing.

It’s never the upmarket supermarket or the golf store that gets taken over and bankrupted is it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The general trend seems to be that upscale boutique places are surviving, and everything is trending that way (including sports and concerts).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Halloween Jack posted:

Ideally, the employees would own the business and reach a consensus about how each of them deserves to be paid for what they produce and there would be no investors. And all venture capitalists would be loaded into catapults and flung into the sea.

Newsletter, etc.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Ideally, the employees would own the business and reach a consensus about how each of them deserves to be paid for what they produce and there would be no investors. And all venture capitalists would be loaded into catapults and flung into the Grand Canyon.

Fixed for increased entertainment value.

Nah, they have a chance of surviving if they land in water.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 21, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ryonguy posted:

Fixed for increased entertainment value.

I think it'd be more entertaining in the original watching them be crippled and desperately trying to swim. Like a metaphor or something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

I think it'd be more entertaining in the original watching them be crippled and desperately trying to swim. Like a metaphor or something.

This reminds me of the PS2 game JAWS: Unleashed, which has a fantastic story where oil execs are going to open up Amity Island to drilling, so you (Jaws) have to go get barrels of oil, fling them at the executive's beachfront mansion and then devour their screaming, flaming bodies as they run into the ocean on fire.

Jaws: "Nobody fucks with the pristine waters of Amity Island! (eats child)"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Corrode posted:

Newsletter, etc.
The fact that I find Richard Wolff's voice soothing says a lot about my personality.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm in Montgomery County, MD and our county-run liquor stores are great. Cheap prices and their website will tell you exactly what's in stock at each location and what the current weekly sales are in a searchable database. Even all the craft beer they stock is like $1-2 cheaper per six pack than every other place around, it's just not refrigerated. Plus I live under a mile from one and it's next to my supermarket.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm not too proud to admit I still own and wear some Claire's stuff. :rip:, store I went to for friends' birthday presents all through middle school

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does Claire's do that unhygenic ear piercing thing with the gun that's rarely sanitized?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yes, they do piercings with a gun.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

I'm not too proud to admit I still own and wear some Claire's stuff. :rip:, store I went to for friends' birthday presents all through middle school

I had a girlfriend in high school that was arrested for shoplifting from Claire's

:laffo:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Crow Jane posted:

Ah, makes sense. gently caress DC traffic/parking.

Not sure how widely distributed they are, but since you're localish and into whiskey, my friend's distillery is about to launch their debut round of rye, the first produced in the city in fifty years, and I can't wait to try it. They also do gin, apple brandy and amaro, all of which are loving delicious.

/shameless plug

you can't metro in? (or park at the edge of the system?)

also LOL that claires is dead but Spencer Gifts lives on

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Caganer posted:

I take MARC+Metro if I go during the day, but both shut down too early to be much good for concerts and whatnot

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Caganer posted:

also LOL that claires is dead but Spencer Gifts lives on
It's very weird to see how Hot Topic and Spencer's have evolved from their origins; the store full of goth/raver stuff and the store full of penis-themed dice kinda met in the middle.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

It's very weird to see how Hot Topic and Spencer's have evolved from their origins; the store full of goth/raver stuff and the store full of penis-themed dice kinda met in the middle.

my local mall didn't have a hot topic for a long time, the raver/goth types got their accessories at spencers. i guess they got the jncos etc elsewhere... anyways after it opened a chunk of the abercrombie crowd immediately became scene. i remember one of them giving me poo poo for some band shirt i had and im like "oh sorry i dont have mommy's credit card to swap out all my A&E the second hot topic opens" and him getting mad and punching me for owning him

there was a nice weirdo corridor in that mall.. natural wonders for the hippies, the science store for nerds, spencers for stoners / "alternatives", sam goody, gamestop

malls used to be good :smith:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Doctor Butts posted:

Is that another example of a company bought with debt?

quote:

Claire's is another victim of a string of private equity buyouts orchestrated by outside investors who loaded up on debt about a decade ago, saddling retailers with burdensome payments.

Yup.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The excruciatingly embarrassed male models on the hot topic website are a work of art.

This guy for example:

“I am way too pretty for this, how did I end up here”
https://www.hottopic.com/product/star-wars-chewbacca-furry-face-beanie/11056208.html?cgid=accessories-hats

“Kill me”
https://www.hottopic.com/product/pokemon-umbreon-face-beanie/11064824.html?cgid=accessories-hats

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I never really even understood the practice of being a mallrat, because you needed gas money to drive 45 minutes to loiter.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I never really even understood the practice of being a mallrat, because you needed gas money to drive 45 minutes to loiter.

WE BOUGHT SODAS! :mad:

Edit: I actually defended my gang of misfits from charges of loitering by pointing out to a cop that the mall cop summoned that we had purchased sodas with "free refills" and thus were entitled to sit and drink as long as we want.

He promptly told us that doesn't trump trespass law and if we didn't leave he'd give us trespass orders and ban us permanently :mad:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, that's when you live 45 minutes away, I guess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Halloween Jack posted:

Not everyone lived in the burbs?

It was like a buck 35 and 20 minutes on the bus to get to my local mall of choice.
Not that I loitered there much. Mostly it was browsing at Brentano's and a soda and a movie with the girl I was going steady with. *doo-wop music plays*

///
Oh yeah, this is totally the face of a guy that won't steal your hair and snuggle with it at night...

https://www.hottopic.com/product/the-nightmare-before-christmas-jack-skellington-face-embroidered-watchman-beanie/11064388.html

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 19, 2018

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

loitering: the grand crime of existing w/o spending money

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I dunno, as an adult with kids I get pretty irate when groups of teenagers hang out in McDonald’s with one brown bag between them and pretend to drink from a empty cup and hog all the seats while being Loud and Obnoxious .

Seriously, there is a park - with several places kids can hang out behind and in, a covered teenage hang out bench and seating area by sports direct that gets McDonald’s free WiFi, and a canal, all of which are preferable to hanging out in McDonald’s, especially since aforementioned places all have toilet near them whereas the ones in McDonald’s are now locked.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Caganer posted:

malls used to be good :smith:

Malls haven't been good since the arcades closed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

learnincurve posted:

I dunno, as an adult with kids I get pretty irate when groups of teenagers hang out in McDonald’s with one brown bag between them and pretend to drink from a empty cup and hog all the seats while being Loud and Obnoxious .

Seriously, there is a park - with several places kids can hang out behind and in, a covered teenage hang out bench and seating area by sports direct that gets McDonald’s free WiFi, and a canal, all of which are preferable to hanging out in McDonald’s, especially since aforementioned places all have toilet near them whereas the ones in McDonald’s are now locked.

Same but with huge crowds of mainland seniors.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Baronjutter posted:

Same but with huge crowds of mainland seniors.

Old people with nothing wrong with them using the disabled toilets drive me up the wall. No I am not impressed that you think it’s your own personal changing room Doris.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

The fact that I find Richard Wolff's voice soothing says a lot about my personality.

Economic Update is genuinely the best podcast about American life coming out these days, to be frank.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Presto posted:

Malls haven't been good since the arcades closed.

My mall never had one actually. We were upscale! No riff raff!

I think that the movie theater that was in the same lot but not attached did, possibly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Economic Update is genuinely the best podcast about American life

Yer getting ripped oowoff

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

to be fair anyone wearing that hat in public likely has trouble making eye contact with people so it's an accurate view of what other people will see

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, that's when you live 45 minutes away, I guess.

Riding your bike to the mall was good exercise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I used to become a mallrat in summer sometimes just for the air conditioning.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I went to the mall because there was loving nowhere else for teenagers to go.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

duz posted:

Riding your bike to the mall was good exercise.

It's possible to ride a bike to places other than a mall.

I rode one to work today, of all places.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Me and my friends loitered at Walmart or dragged Main Street instead because the nearest mall was 120 miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Star Man posted:

Me and my friends loitered at Walmart or dragged Main Street instead because the nearest mall was 120 miles away.