Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We rent cars to make a 3 hour drive to Chicago, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you bought a new car to...

*squints*

keep miles off it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

If I had $5000 cash they would take it. But bonds are stupid.

I seriously can't believe I've never brought up my past before. I guess it never seemed relevant.

Ok, so they're just dicks about bonds specifically. Yeah, that is stupid. I think I was in the same boat meatpimp was.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

Thoughts on if this would be stupid to consider:

I have a brand new car, only has 1500 miles on it. Would it be idiotic to rent a car for $175 or a SUV for $250 for a week to keep from putting 1500 more miles on it next week on vacation?

Also the rental would have full coverage with no out of pocket from my credit card protection. Thoughts? I am not a rich man but would this cost seem to be a worthy expense?
That...sounds odd. I've never thought of that. You have already bought the car, paid for insurance, tags, etc so that's sitting in your driveway with value being lost every single day either way.

You're going to have to pay for fuel on a rental so lets call that a wash (assuming they are similar).

I guess the simple way of looking at it is your rental costs higher or lower than 1500 miles of wear and tear on your new car. My total guess is $175 is more than what 1500 miles of wear and tear would do to your car, so my vote would be likely not.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What a page :psyduck:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

That...sounds odd. I've never thought of that. You have already bought the car, paid for insurance, tags, etc so that's sitting in your driveway with value being lost every single day either way.

You're going to have to pay for fuel on a rental so lets call that a wash (assuming they are similar).

I guess the simple way of looking at it is your rental costs higher or lower than 1500 miles of wear and tear on your new car. My total guess is $175 is more than what 1500 miles of wear and tear would do to your car, so my vote would be likely not.

I specifically bought the car to not have to deal with rentals anymore...so I am well aware that this question seems insane.

Using codes and playing around I can get a SUV for $219 if I prepay...I usually go to the beach for 10+ days, this is going to be less than a week and a lot of miles...my (probably insane) thought is would it be better to use and abuse a rental for this trip with nothing to worry about?

That is why I am asking thoughts, please talk me out of this idea if it is stupid. Yes I have a brand new car with full coverage insurance parked in my driveway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

I specifically bought the car to not have to deal with rentals anymore...so I am well aware that this question seems insane.

Using codes and playing around I can get a SUV for $219 if I prepay...I usually go to the beach for 10+ days, this is going to be less than a week and a lot of miles...my (probably insane) thought is would it be better to use and abuse a rental for this trip with nothing to worry about?

That is why I am asking thoughts, please talk me out of this idea if it is stupid. Yes I have a brand new car with full coverage insurance parked in my driveway.

Alright I'll say it.
This idea is stupid, drive your car. You bought it, it's being paid for, it's past the break in period.
It's going to get dirty, scratched, pooped on and something in it is going to break. Might as well be driving it when it all happens.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Remember Ryan White, the famous kid with AIDS? We moved to central Indiana at the same time as his family. My new school thought I was him and put out a memo to all teachers (without doing any research as he was several years older than me). Thus began three solid years of extreme bullying. I was taunted with chants of AIDS-BOY and brutalized. I can't even remember the number of times I went home bloody. It never stopped, not until we moved away. The school did nothing and we were unable to find a lawyer who thought we could effectively sue over the memo.

So yeah, you'd think I'd have gotten my hands on some guns at some point right?

Goddamn. I was too young at that point to know about that. Pretty hosed up though what kids will do.

I will try to remember this day next time I'm being hard on you. :v:

KakerMix posted:

Alright I'll say it.
This idea is stupid, drive your car. You bought it, it's being paid for, it's past the break in period.
It's going to get dirty, scratched, pooped on and something in it is going to break. Might as well be driving it when it all happens.

Yup, this. It's never going to stay perfect forever. Unless you need to rent something bigger to carry poo poo for a long trip, drive your car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Goddamn. I was too young at that point to know about that. Pretty hosed up though what kids will do.

I will try to remember this day next time I'm being hard on you. :v:

I appreciate your ribbing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Alright I'll say it.

I want everyone to know I AM LISTENING and you have made me think clearer. I will take the new car and save the $200.

Now onto something else: not for this trip, but can anyone tell me experiences with add-on universal roof racks? Half the reviews on Amazon say they are amazing no problems and the other half say your cargo carrier will fly off the roof and explode and kill everyone on the highway. Why oh why can't all vehicles have factory roof rack options?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thule and Yamika are both good. What car are we talking about? If it flew off of the roof from one of those two brands it's almost assuredly loving Idiots Doing Things.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wrar posted:

Thule and Yamika are both good. What car are we talking about? If it flew off of the roof from one of those two brands it's almost assuredly loving Idiots Doing Things.

Hyundai Elantra (4 door, not the GT).

Is the consensus pretty much I need to spend $400+ on Thule or Yakima? Anyone have experience with Rhino Rack? Seems those would run $300 or less.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can NOT wake up today. Jesus loving christ. The only thing different last night was, instead of having my normal green tea, I took some "sleepytime" tea (the regular one, without valerian root) instead. Watched some forensic files, went to bed. Woke up at 6 AM to pee, was drat near wide awake even though it had only been five hours. Went back to sleep, woke up at 8:30, and I'm loving dead. Nearly fell over when walking the five feet to the bathroom. It's been two hours, and I just can't get into it. When showering I thought I was going to actually fall over at a few points.

Don't feel any illness, temperature seems fine. I don't feel "bad" at all when sitting, but standing is another story. I don't think it was the tea: that's just chamomile, lemongrass, and tilia, and I'm a firm believer that most "herbal" stuff is bullshit. I was just down to tea stocks and that was what I had left.

This feels exactly like what happens if I take a benadryl/diphenhydramine. Sure, it may clear up sinuses or whatever, but I'm completely destroyed the next day. I've done a few sets of push-ups to try to "get the blood flowing," but no dice. loving weird.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I appreciate your ribbing.

For her pleasure. :bigtran:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

For her pleasure. :bigtran:

Always.

Also First Merchants Bank called me back and as long as I open an account and keep a balance for 12 months there will be no penalty. I was very clear about the amount of the bond so hopefully the story doesn't change when I get there in the morning.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I can NOT wake up today. Jesus loving christ. The only thing different last night was, instead of having my normal green tea, I took some "sleepytime" tea (the regular one, without valerian root) instead. Watched some forensic files, went to bed. Woke up at 6 AM to pee, was drat near wide awake even though it had only been five hours. Went back to sleep, woke up at 8:30, and I'm loving dead. Nearly fell over when walking the five feet to the bathroom. It's been two hours, and I just can't get into it. When showering I thought I was going to actually fall over at a few points.

Don't feel any illness, temperature seems fine. I don't feel "bad" at all when sitting, but standing is another story. I don't think it was the tea: that's just chamomile, lemongrass, and tilia, and I'm a firm believer that most "herbal" stuff is bullshit. I was just down to tea stocks and that was what I had left.

This feels exactly like what happens if I take a benadryl/diphenhydramine. Sure, it may clear up sinuses or whatever, but I'm completely destroyed the next day. I've done a few sets of push-ups to try to "get the blood flowing," but no dice. loving weird.

I've been weirdly tired today as well. Got my usual 7-ish hours of sleep and even after coffee I'm going cross-eyed at my desk. I'm chalking it up to sleeping more fitfully for some reason and I'll probably just try to go to bed 30-ish minutes early tonight.

Unrelated, but does anyone have suggestions for good YouTube video game channels? I love NerdCubed and some friends of mine have a channel that I watch (they're funny and if you're into watching people play games, check them out) but I'm looking for new channels to check out and watch while I do other stuff.

I watched the Game Grumps playthroughs of Space Quest 1-3 and I liked Dan well enough in those but I don't know how I feel about the channel's association with JonTron (like do they share some of those opinions even if they're smart enough to not make them public).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

everdave posted:

rent a car for $175 or a SUV for $250 for a week to keep from

everdave posted:

spend $400+ on Thule or Yakima?

Math is pretty cool stuff.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Need car parts?
15% coupon on eBay up to $50 off.
PSPRINGTIME

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't watch any gaming channels anymore (it's been a few years), but I used to watch game grumps AND jontron. Jon was part of the crew that started GG, but he got pushed out/left a few years ago, and they have no associations anymore. He used to come up in conversations and do occasional guest stuff, but then he went full neo last year and they completely split. From what I've gathered in reddit (never go on reddit) comment chains and stuff, they don't really like him for his awful views, and even when he was a part of GG there were ideological differences that caused friction.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I took some "sleepytime" tea

have a sip

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
THAT IS NOT WHAT IS IN SLEEPYTIME TEA

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Is the consensus pretty much I need to spend $400+ on Thule or Yakima? Anyone have experience with Rhino Rack? Seems those would run $300 or less.

You know that $275 you just saved? Spend it on the Thule and you get the benefit for years.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

THAT IS NOT WHAT IS IN SLEEPYTIME TEA

I've waited nearly 2 weeks for you to post something vaguely liquid-related because I'm lame AF

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone have suggestions for good YouTube video game channels?

I like Day 9 and Dunkey, Sips is ok, but he gravitates towards lengthy Let's Plays which I don't have the patience for anymore. If I want to throw a professional videogamesman on in the background I tend to go for twitch instead if I can find channels without irritating "subscriber alerts."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
GrayStillPlays has a My Summer Car series that is hilarious, he doesn't update it much anymore but there's hundreds of "episodes."

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

You know that $275 you just saved? Spend it on the Thule and you get the benefit for years.

I agree, and I just did that. Managed to get the feet kit, the fit kit and the aeroblades all NEW for under $350 between eBay (15% off coupon today) and Amazon warehouse. I already have a cargo carrier. I don't know if everything will come in time for this trip but I will be using this OFTEN.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

I don't watch any gaming channels anymore (it's been a few years), but I used to watch game grumps AND jontron. Jon was part of the crew that started GG, but he got pushed out/left a few years ago, and they have no associations anymore. He used to come up in conversations and do occasional guest stuff, but then he went full neo last year and they completely split. From what I've gathered in reddit (never go on reddit) comment chains and stuff, they don't really like him for his awful views, and even when he was a part of GG there were ideological differences that caused friction.

Glad to hear that. I may watch some of their other more recent (post split) stuff and see if I like the other hosts as well, then.

redgubbinz posted:

I like Day 9 and Dunkey, Sips is ok, but he gravitates towards lengthy Let's Plays which I don't have the patience for anymore. If I want to throw a professional videogamesman on in the background I tend to go for twitch instead if I can find channels without irritating "subscriber alerts."

I'll check these out. I actually like longer LPs with some editing and/or episode versus Twitch because I don't care as much about what game is being played so much as I have to enjoy the commentary. Even NerdCubed (who I genuinely think is awesome) is better in his edited videos than as a Twitch streamer.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

everdave posted:

I will be using this OFTEN.

Your math is superior to my math.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Polygon is pretty good for games stuff with a more comedy bent. Anything with Griffin Mcelroy (or his brother Justin) in particular is generally gold.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I remember Robbaz from when my summer car came hit the scene and and he cracked me up. Is he any good in general?

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 20, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Not normally my thing but I love it when people genuinely crack up. If you guys know BeamNG then this specific video is choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRcjAVjO-4

Specifically it's this sequence though, watch till you hit it. You'll know, it involves the sun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRcjAVjO-4&t=893s

Among the things I can still watch and laugh almost as hard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Polygon, specifically either of the McElroys (sometimes even Travis shows up) is gold.

Keep in mind that Nick (not a McElroy) was just fired from Polygon for being a skirt-chasing misogynistic weeb, though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I remember Robbaz from when my summer car came hit the scene and and he cracked me up. Is he any good in general?

If you like robbaz you should watch the kilian experience.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Beverly Cleavage posted:

He's very good at Kerbal Space Program

His best videos are the cooking/home project ones though

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't watch Robbaz anymore, but every now and again YouTube recommends me his newest "cooking with the kock" videos, and they're good. He is one of the reasons I spent literally a thousand hours in KSP, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

The government in Idiocracy is better than the current one since it is a meritocracy and the smart people rise to the top and the president listened to the smart people.

Holy poo poo. :psyboom:

On the topic of vidya games, I saw a recording of a Twitch stream of a guy called Ninja playing Fortnite Battle Royale, and holy gently caress do I feel inadequate. I swear this guy has four hands and eyes in the back of his head. Dude definitely operates at a higher clock speed than me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_QHy9PSSA

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Probably. I mean, even with the right rails and cross bars, the cheap racks are really loving garbage. I bought a cheap one (like $140) and it rusted all over my truck. So I took it off, cleaned it up and puttied all of the lovely joints that were spot welded together (not full seam) so the bars wouldn't fill up with water and then plastidipped the poo poo out of it. It's fine.......but......it was a lot more work than I cared for. And it's still a lightweight piece of poo poo, but it works for what I need.

Totally owned that christmas tree, even with the spare wheel up there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hilarious bad game LPs by some goons. I recommend, but haven't seen them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP9xo3LzRMA&t=1s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:mrwhite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I love this.

• Locked thread