Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Werix posted:

I was thinking on this, and playing a lot of Stellaris lately. Is there ever a mention to the Imperium having terraforming tech? I imagine it would be a big deal if they did. Though to be fair, humanity is so damned adaptable that even on the harshest worlds with no atmosphere they'd just spend all day in space suits if the planet has even a scrap of usefulness.

They do still. It's why so many worlds are worlds that are exactly the same everywhere on it. Most Agri worlds have had the climate and land changed so as to turn the whole world into farms of various types. (A few are more or less natural in that state and considered more impressive cause the Imperium did not have to spend as much resources changing it.)

The only other real explanation is that all the Agri Worlds were created before the Imperium got started and they just brought those worlds into the fold.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm 95% certain that they've had terraforming technology. Dark Age of Technology humanity could do drat near anything.

DAOT definitely had terraforming, the probable extent of Imperial terraforming these days is catastrophic anthropogenic global climate change caused either by war or industry.

:sigh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Schadenboner posted:

So what's the name of a macguffin substance that the T'a"""""u would want, ideally one that is mined? I'm writing an ice ball mining planet that's "Norilsk only (somehow) more grimdark" in the Damocles Gulf, the Imperium wanted it for the Promethium deposits (and now they want it back) but why did the Taus want it and take over after the Imperial rout defeat retreat evacuation tactical withdrawal?

Elemental phasor-dymium, used to make connecting fibres in their tanks and warrior suits. Or, if you want to be more low-power, heavy rubber shrubs to make boots or fire warrior armor inserts and pouche with.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm 95% certain that they've had terraforming technology. Dark Age of Technology humanity could do drat near anything.

After beating the orks, they turned ALL of Ullanor into a massive parade ground so they could have their spehss marines stomp across it waving banners. There's nothing they couldn't terraform, at least on the material scientific level.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It was just the one continent. The orks would later re-conquer that planet and turn it into a teleporting battlestation :orks101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schadenboner posted:

DAOT definitely had terraforming, the probable extent of Imperial terraforming these days is catastrophic anthropogenic global climate change caused either by war or industry.

:sigh:

There's a planet in the Gaunt's Ghost series that was once a hive world but is now a series of urban islands poking up above a toxic, corrosive sea of fog and clouds, explicitly because it's a world killed by rampant pollution.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Oh there’s a short story about a planet like this. A rogue Tyranid bioform acts as a Kraken and is sinking ocean vessels, so a Space Wolf comes to kill it. It’s fairly rad.

I think I read that in high school. And then space-sharks eat the fish out from under him while he's towing it back to shore, right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cythereal posted:

There's a planet in the Gaunt's Ghost series that was once a hive world but is now a series of urban islands poking up above a toxic, corrosive sea of fog and clouds, explicitly because it's a world killed by rampant pollution.

Just bomb some mountain ranges into powder and make a nuclear winter!

:v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tias posted:

Elemental phasor-dymium, used to make connecting fibres in their tanks and warrior suits. Or, if you want to be more low-power, heavy rubber shrubs to make boots or fire warrior armor inserts and pouche with.

I came up with "1N-2-Tetra-Carboxyl-1,3,5,7-Octochloralchromium" which is prized by Tauish artificers as a polishing abrasive for the grinding of lenses (lol, Taus are blind).

I've also started reading the IUPAC color books. Kiiiilllll meeeeee...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 15, 2018

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Mars was fully terraformed during the Dark Age of Technology, but then the Age of Strife happened and the terraforming shut off, so now it's less of a pleasant place to be.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Aren't vast swathes of Mars still quarantined after 10,000 years after the Heresy because they're probably still full of active kill-bots and malignant computer viruses and such?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It's also irradiated as gently caress iirc

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Aren't vast swathes of Mars still quarantined after 10,000 years after the Heresy because they're probably still full of active kill-bots and malignant computer viruses and such?

And whatever else is leaking out of prison under the Noctis Labyrinthis, the dimensions of which are infinite (despite this being clearly impossible.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Parts of mars are basically tesseracted tardises that are leaking dimensions like a busted radiator leaks water. poo poo is wack, yo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Aren't there people guarding some vault in the forbidden parts of Mars too?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

in the Heresy there was a changeover in the guardians of the Dragon, the C'tan who's asleep on Mars and may or may not be the ultimate source of some of humanity's most terrifying advances during the Dark Age of Technology

the Emperor (then apparently a cataphract of the eastern roman empire) imprisoned the Dragon there after a showdown in Libya on Earth in M1, circa the reign of one of the Emperors Theodosius. he set guards there intermittently ever after, imbuing whoever he or the previous guard chooses with a fragment of his own power to keep them alive for hundreds of thousands of years and maintain the c'tan's slumber. he may or may not do something similar with the Custodes. during the Heresy, as the schism of mars really heated up, an unaugmented woman took on the mantle from the previous guardian, and took on a skitarii soldier as her second.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

in the Heresy there was a changeover in the guardians of the Dragon, the C'tan who's asleep on Mars and may or may not be the ultimate source of some of humanity's most terrifying advances during the Dark Age of Technology

the Emperor (then apparently a cataphract of the eastern roman empire) imprisoned the Dragon there after a showdown in Libya on Earth in M1, circa the reign of one of the Emperors Theodosius. he set guards there intermittently ever after, imbuing whoever he or the previous guard chooses with a fragment of his own power to keep them alive for hundreds of thousands of years and maintain the c'tan's slumber. he may or may not do something similar with the Custodes. during the Heresy, as the schism of mars really heated up, an unaugmented woman took on the mantle from the previous guardian, and took on a skitarii soldier as her second.

I feel liken I really need to get around to finishing Mechanicum

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pendent posted:

It's got some good elements, but overall it's formulaic and the obligatory "normal human" audience insert character(s) are super obvious and unsubtle and for some reason important to the plot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
wrong thread.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 18, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

the only good bits i didn't spoiler are the skitarii's jokes

really

they're great, his comedic timing is genius

well, some of the tech magi profiled were pretty cool too

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Azhais posted:

In the HH series novel Mechanicum, it's revealed that Big E created an order (of one dude, with a really long lifespan, with a replacement guided to replace the old guardian every ten thousand years or so) to watch over where the physical body of the C'tan the Cult of the Machine God formed around was imprisoned, as well as a conveniently stealable book detailing how the Emperor found the Dragon hiding on Earth in a weakened state after warring against the other Star Gods, sometime during the existence of the Roman Empire. He kicked his rear end and, later, after the development of spaceflight in the solar system possibly kick-started by the presence of the Dragon itself, the Emperor moved him to the Noctis Labyrinth (likely a pre-existing Necrontyr facility, but also possibly an Eldar one), with it's presence on Mars now spurning the development of techno-cultists, the future Mechanicum, that would inherit the empire of Mars after the Fall, colonize far-off, rich worlds with the industrial and manufacturing capacity, as well as the advanced technology to arm a galactic empire as well as be fortresses waiting for the awakening of an empire of Hotep murderbots, all while welcoming the Emperor as the Son to the Machine God's Father when he finally united revealed himself to them.

e: that's what I get for retrying a failed post hours after the fact, beaten hard

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 18, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

the only good bits i didn't spoiler are the skitarii's jokes

really

they're great, his comedic timing is genius

well, some of the tech magi profiled were pretty cool too

I made it about 2/3 of the way in at one point but the novel really didn't grab me particularly well, honestly.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Autism Sneaks posted:

In the HH series novel Mechanicum, it's revealed that Big E created an order (of one dude, with a really long lifespan, with a replacement guided to replace the old guardian every ten thousand years or so) to watch over where the physical body of the C'tan the Cult of the Machine God formed around was imprisoned, as well as a conveniently stealable book detailing how the Emperor found the Dragon hiding on Earth in a weakened state after warring against the other Star Gods, sometime during the existence of the Roman Empire. He kicked his rear end and, later, after the development of spaceflight in the solar system possibly kick-started by the presence of the Dragon itself, the Emperor moved him to the Noctis Labyrinth (likely a pre-existing Necrontyr facility, but also possibly an Eldar one), with it's presence on Mars now spurning the development of techno-cultists, the future Mechanicum, that would inherit the empire of Mars after the Fall, colonize far-off, rich worlds with the industrial and manufacturing capacity, as well as the advanced technology to arm a galactic empire as well as be fortresses waiting for the awakening of an empire of Hotep murderbots, all while welcoming the Emperor as the Son to the Machine God's Father when he finally united revealed himself to them.

e: that's what I get for retrying a failed post hours after the fact, beaten hard

Beaten, yes, but some of us who haven't read it appreciate fun tidbits of lore like that

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the interesting bit for me is that iirc it's never stated in text that the emperor actually transferred the Dragon to Mars after human spaceflight became a thing a few thousand years after defeating it on the coast of the Mediterranean. it just says he made the transfer. which sounds more to me like he made the switch during roman times, by dint of sheer psychic power. i wouldn't be super surprised if a still-fleshy emps was capable of walking pre-terraforming mars without a pressurized suit, still less that he could open a stable portal through the Warp, or walk the Webway, to get there. even that tinpot warlock Erebus can manage a portal across time and interstellar distances with the right prep and tools.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm working on some setting building and I need a little advice. The first one is probably pretty easy, the second one not so much.

1) What do we think happens in the Imperium Nihilus with planetary tithes? If it's difficult to safely travel between sectors obviously the Guard isn't going to collect regiments quite as easily, so do they just have the normally raised regiments serve as Guard units depoyable in-system? Or do they risk it and try to collect?

2) How exactly would the Eldar try to leverage the local Necrons against the Dark Eldar? I'm having a hard time picturing exactly how anyone tries to manipulate a bunch of space robits bent on destruction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For 2, the Eldar could offer some ancient Necronyr artefacts. They don't value them (trinkets of a lesser race) but poo poo goes sideways when the Necrons discover they're counterfeit. Whoops!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The Elder and Dark Eldar don't really fight that much, especially in "present-day" 40k, since around the fall of Cadia the Harlequins really started trying to get the respective flavors of elf to stop killing each other long enough to stop Chaos from eating the universe. They're a lot more likely to be united against the Necrons (or just trying to stay out of their way) since they're ancestral enemies of the skelebots.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oops, also that. Plus it cuts against the grain of their aloof flavor. They're essentially space racists who wouldn't get a bunch of has-been robot failures to do "Eldar work."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Would the Harlequins necessarily have gotten that message across to everyone, though?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Odds are they've all heard the message, what with the webway and all. It's not impossible that an Eldar Warlock or a Farseer convinced that something bad has to happen to the Dark Eldar would go against the grain, just like some of the Dark Eldar are probably fractious and greedy enough to think they can get an advantage by sucker-punching their new allies.

If you wanted the two kinds of Eldar to be fighting in Nihilus with the Necrons involved, that'd be the way to do it: a powerful Dark Eldar with designs on Vect's throne is trying to get an advantage in Commoragh by raiding Craftworld or Exodite targets while their guard is down, and a rogue Farseer with a grudge against the Dark Eldar has lost her mind and decided that trying to provoke the Necrons into rampaging across the sector or even into the webway is somehow the only way to stop them. That would also add drama because both sides of that fight would be rogue elements who would be seriously screwed if the Harlequins or the parts of their factions that aren't loyal to them and their stupid, short-sighted plans ever caught wind of their actions.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I don't see the two flavors of eldar as fighting terribly much, even before the new fluff. True, one of the things with tabletop 40k is there is always a reason for faction (in)fighting, but I don't see them fighting much beyond verbal insults. That's why corsairs exist. The various eldar factions can work well together, moreso then factions of other races.

However, the eldar are a fallen empire. You could have them fight over a large webway gate, maybe one so big that they lack the ability to manufacture them.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Interesting, thanks all. I definitely didn't have as solid a handle on relations amongst the various flavors of space elf as I could have, especially w/r/t recent events. I definitely thought they were enemies, whereas it seems the truth is that the Dark Eldar are more like the Florida Dirtbag Cousins of the Eldar, all gettin' juiced on Tequiza before getting thrown out of the supermarket and owing big bucks to Harmon Kardon for a set of car speakers when they don't even have a car but in the end they're still family. I'm gonna have to rethink some things.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PantsOptional posted:

getting thrown out of the supermarket and owing big bucks to Harmon Kardon for a set of car speakers when they don't even have a car
Although it was Rockford Fosgate in this particular case.

On an unrelated note, I've been vaguely considering running a Deathwatch game. Is there anything I should particularly watch out for? I'm already aware that the Smite psychic power can be a problem, and that I should use what little errata there are.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No gun matters but storm bolter unless they've updates the rules.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could have a craftworld trying not to deliberately antagonise their neighbours be trying to force Deldar slavers to stop raiding the place. That could put a craftworld in conflict with a Commorragh House or w/e.

loving with the Exodites (that cousin everybody likes) and pinning the blame on said house (adult sibling) might be enough to get others (adult siblings) more interested in an active attack (intervention) against said house. They're all out for an excuse to backstab. You could do it so even the Harlequins (that wise old aunt who knows all the family secrets) aren't sure what the gently caress is going on and the Corsairs (the angry teenagers) think that they do know.

A Necron who knows his poo poo could do that.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

No gun matters but storm bolter unless they've updates the rules.

All the deathwatch bolters were nerfed somewhat in the errata, but it's still quite good.
Astartes Storm Bolter || Basic || Range: 100m || S/4/– || DMG: 1d10+9 X || Pen: 4 || 60 || Reload: 2 Full || Storm, Tearing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goatface posted:

loving with the Exodites (that cousin everybody likes) and pinning the blame on said house (adult sibling) might be enough to get others (adult siblings) more interested in an active attack (intervention) against said house. They're all out for an excuse to backstab. You could do it so even the Harlequins (that wise old aunt who knows all the family secrets) aren't sure what the gently caress is going on and the Corsairs (the angry teenagers) think that they do know.

Plz don't doxx me, bro. :(

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
For Deathwatch, be aggressive when putting together combat challenges or your players will steamroller them.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Rockopolis posted:

For Deathwatch, be aggressive when putting together combat challenges or your players will steamroller them.

This is proving true in an all marine Black Crusade game as well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I dunno, the Storm Bolter didn't feel that impressive when compared to the the melee monsters we had or the loving heavy bolter, which is The One True Heavy Weapon in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

But don't do what I did and be aggressive with only war players and destroy most of the party by accident.