Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
literally every "cheap" replacement charger I have used has gotten way too hot and physically deformed. Even the ones specifically for my model laptop with a proprietary not universal port. I just buy warranties now and make the OEM deal with it when the time comes. They usually send back a newer model over fixing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is DDR3-1600 spec ram slower than DDR3-1300 in a 1300mhz system? Generally speaking for name brand modules. Can't really get the SPD data for every single UPC sigh.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Shaocaholica posted:

Is DDR3-1600 spec ram slower than DDR3-1300 in a 1300mhz system? Generally speaking for name brand modules. Can't really get the SPD data for every single UPC sigh.

Do you mean if you put the 1600 in the slower system? If so the answer is that it'll run exactly the same.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Do you mean if you put the 1600 in the slower system? If so the answer is that it'll run exactly the same.

Yes. 1600 rated modules in a 1333 system. I wasn’t sure if the SPD spec is somehow gimped(generally speaking) for slower speeds for whatever reason.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Yes. 1600 rated modules in a 1333 system. I wasn’t sure if the SPD spec is somehow gimped(generally speaking) for slower speeds for whatever reason.

Nah. But the motherboard might be able to run it at 1600. Check the bios setup for "by SPD" or "use X.M.P." or even just a manual speed setting. (If this is like an Intel/Dell/whatever mobo then there's probably nothing like that.)

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Not particularily a hardware question, but I own the domain FirstnameLastname.com that has an email setup attached. Today I just purchased Lastname.com, is there a way to set-up create an e-mail address from Lastname.com using the email setup from the first domain or should I ask my hosting for support on this?

Edit
I found out how to do it. I just needed to add the new domain as an add-on domain in cpanel

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 8, 2018

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a set of Logitech Z623 computer speakers that have a cable I need to extend, here's a picture of it https://imgur.com/a/SRZov , it looks like a VGA plug?!

Here's a direct link to Logitech's explanation which only lists the plug as "right speaker" which, predictably, doesn't help to google. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z623

What is this speaker wire called and will I be able to buy a 1-2 foot extension cable for it without it loving something up?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In your photo it does look like a VGA cable, but what it plugs into on the Logitech page you linked has only two rows of pins instead of three. If the port on your speaker does have three rows then it's inexpensive to try a simple VGA extension cable. You can get them for under $10 on Amazon.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hold The Ashes posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a set of Logitech Z623 computer speakers that have a cable I need to extend, here's a picture of it https://imgur.com/a/SRZov , it looks like a VGA plug?!

Here's a direct link to Logitech's explanation which only lists the plug as "right speaker" which, predictably, doesn't help to google. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z623

What is this speaker wire called and will I be able to buy a 1-2 foot extension cable for it without it loving something up?

They put a bunch of conductors in there so you can have your volume knob, power switch, headphone jack, etc. all on that "right speaker." It's probably a custom cable for the conductors used, but since it looks like a DB9 connector like what's used on a 9 pin serial cable you can probably just get a straight through serial cable extender and try it out. I can't guarantee it will work, but electrically it should be the same as making the cord longer. Make sure it's about the right size. The serial jack I have here is about 15mm at the widest part and 8mm tall.
http://www.l-com.com/what-is-a-db9-connector

There's a few sizes of what might work here:
https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10-Feet-Straight-Through-Serial/dp/B000A7NROO/

edit: On your picture there's 3 rows of pins, but on the logitech page there's only two rows of holes which is what I looked at first. Check the number of pins before buying stuff, but a VGA extender is probably more likely to fit:
this is my confusion:

VGA extension cable:
https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Extension-Compatible-Projectors-Displays/dp/B00P0CMKB0/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 9, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have a ~4.5 year old thinkpad t530 with a 500gb hdd and after I dropped the laptop today it won’t boot. It alternates between a screen saying it needs a windows boot repair cd, a lenovo branded repair program that ran but didn’t work, and a boot error of “2100 detection error on hdd0”. I put the drive in another computer, booting from a different drive, and windows doesn’t recoginize it’s connected. I’m assuming the drive is dead, is there any way to get my stuff off of it?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 9, 2018

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm posting this as information for those who may run into this sort of thing, and I could save you some messing about.

The last few weeks my PC has been restarting for no apparent reason. I'd be gaming or in Windows or watching a move and the screen will go black, the sound will stutter and stall for a second and then I'm looking at the BIOS screen on a hard reboot. I checked RAM and disk - both fine. Installed new graphics drivers - no help. Nothing in the Windows event logs.
After a week (it happened every few days) I decided to unplug my PC and reseat the cards/memory, and clean some of the fans and my CPU heatsink (although CPU and GPU temps seemed fine). Just as I was done I looked at the bottom and saw that the intake fan on the power supply basically had a shag-pile carpet lodged in it judging by the amount of fluff. I brushed that off and the system has been fine ever since.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

icantfindaname posted:

I have a ~4.5 year old thinkpad t530 with a 500gb hdd and after I dropped the laptop today it won’t boot. It alternates between a screen saying it needs a windows boot repair cd, a lenovo branded repair program that ran but didn’t work, and a boot error of “2100 detection error on hdd0”. I put the drive in another computer, booting from a different drive, and windows doesn’t recoginize it’s connected. I’m assuming the drive is dead, is there any way to get my stuff off of it?

It depends how valuable your data is. A data recovery place will attempt to retrieve the data but is often prohibitively expensive at possibly 4 figures to recover it (some use clean rooms to trade platters from the disk into a different disk of the same type or use other methods I'm not even sure of). If you don't have anything that valuable then you can attempt the freezer trick but usually that just helps if the thing is just wearing out and the tolerances for the parts to move are getting too close; after damage from an impact I'm not sure this will do anything:
https://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

If you decide your data is valuable enough to send to a recovery place don't do the freezer trick at all, it can get you some data back but it can also further damage the disk while it's doing it. I was able to pull 99% of the files off a dying disk with the freezer trick and roadkil's unstoppable copier.

In the future, a SSD in a laptop is nice because there's no moving parts to mess up, and always back up everything. You can use external disks and software to automatically back up or online services. Windows 10 even has OneDrive included which is pretty basic and small but is usually good for a few important files.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Didn't see a thread for headsets, so I guess I'll ask here. If I'm buying a decent headset for gaming online, what are some decent options? Is Turtle Beach really good or overpriced garbage? I have some logitech supa-aural ones that are wired, looking for something a bit better.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I like my Logitech G930. Fits my big head well. Pretty good for gaming and audio calls. OK quality microphone - nothing fancy but it does what you expect of it.

I dislike Creative Sound Blaster Omega, they made a lot of noise when moving my head (such as when speaking into the mic!). Both speaker and mic volume went up way higher than anything I had used before, which was cool for those "why can't I hear you" audio calls.

If I were to buy a new set, I would go for G930 again no questions asked. However, I am sure the fit and feels is quite different person to person.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have sennheiser pc350s. Probably overpriced garbage but nobody has ever had any issues with mic clarity. I like that i can mute it by swinging the boom up. Great build quality. They're just as good 4 years later as they were the day i got them.

They're comfortable to wear and get loud enough to hurt my ears while still seeming to sound good.

They're discontinued but can be purchased still and have been replaced, probably with much the same thing, but i have no experience with the replacement

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Overpriced maybe, but I'd like to think Sennheiser doesn't make anything that's truly garbage.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

In your photo it does look like a VGA cable, but what it plugs into on the Logitech page you linked has only two rows of pins instead of three. If the port on your speaker does have three rows then it's inexpensive to try a simple VGA extension cable. You can get them for under $10 on Amazon.

Rexxed posted:

On your picture there's 3 rows of pins, but on the logitech page there's only two rows of holes which is what I looked at first. Check the number of pins before buying stuff, but a VGA extender is probably more likely to fit:
this is my confusion:

Turned out it was 3 row's of 5 and bought a VGA extension which seemed to work fine, thanks for the help.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014
My broke friend keeps breaking his headset, anyone have a recommendation of something that is durable and alright in sound quality, preferably with a mic, sub 80-90? I was thinking steelseries arctic 3, but the swivel things look like a weak point. Seems like anyone with an aluminum headset would make a friggin killing in this business, so long as people didn't care an autistic amount about sound, like I do.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah this happens on my X220. The 2100 error. For whatever reason popping into the BIOS and rejiggering the boot order fixes it for me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Overpriced maybe, but I'd like to think Sennheiser doesn't make anything that's truly garbage.

yeah i just dont know a thing about poo poo and didnt want to pass them off as being some sort of HIGH FIDELITY EXPERIENCE or something

theyre pretty well constructed and are good for my video games tho!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Will a modern SATA 3 SSD have any issues on my old rear end Z77 motherboard? Two of my SATA ports say "6gb", I assume it'll work fine but I wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger, I can always just wait until I upgrade the whole system later

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Sata3=6gb

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

e: nm

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought an Audio Technica AT2020 USB over a Blue Yeti. Did I make a good choice? I didn't want to get the XLR version as it's far too much effort and total overkill for what I want, but I figured the AT2020 USB was perfect for all the internet calls I make to friends and family.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
If I have an internal hdd can I put it in an external shell format and partition it and later use it internally without issues?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fodder Cannon posted:

If I have an internal hdd can I put it in an external shell format and partition it and later use it internally without issues?

Yes.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Thanks!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah the drive doesn't even know what you put it in. Any compatibility issues are on the part of what is accessing it, be it the shell or the bios or a program.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Will a modern SATA 3 SSD have any issues on my old rear end Z77 motherboard? Two of my SATA ports say "6gb", I assume it'll work fine but I wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger, I can always just wait until I upgrade the whole system later

This specific case was already addressed but more generally, SATA is backwards- and forwards-compatible with other versions of itself. You can plug a SATA1-2 drive into a SATA3 system or vice versa and they'll work together at the highest speed they both support.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I have a gaming PC with two monitors, and I've found that when I run video on my second monitor at the max 60 fps, it messes with my games running at 144 fps on the main monitor. Adding Chrome to the mix for looking things up screws with this even more. I'd like to get a mini pc to only run video / websites on (no gaming), something larger than a stick PC with the following:

Requirments:
1080p via DVI / HDMI / DP. Adapters are fine as long as it doesn't require VGA.
USB 2.0 or better, probably want two ports and can throw in a hub if needed.
2GB+ RAM
64GB internal storage (or SSD slot). Nothing I plan to do with this will require a lot of disk I/O.

Nice to have:
4K output of some sort. Adapters are still fine for this.
4GB RAM
Wired network access
3.5mm sound out (could be replaced with a USB sound output I guess)
Windows support. I'm comfortable with Linux, but I already am certain everything works with Windows as that's what I'm using now.
USB 3.0
VESA mount so I can put it behind my monitor

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I have a Toshiba laptop with a blank screen. I wanna test if it's something with the GPU or the monitor itself. Plugged in an external monitor via HDMI and the monitor is blank as well. The monitor should automatically show video right? Or is there some sort of fn + another key combo that I need to enable the external monitor?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

CubanMissile posted:

I have a Toshiba laptop with a blank screen. I wanna test if it's something with the GPU or the monitor itself. Plugged in an external monitor via HDMI and the monitor is blank as well. The monitor should automatically show video right? Or is there some sort of fn + another key combo that I need to enable the external monitor?
Windows key + P show anything with the external monitor connected? Any sounds in the OS?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

future ghost posted:

Windows key + P show anything with the external monitor connected? Any sounds in the OS?

Yeah. I switched RAM slots and now I got video. Thanks for the response though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

is it normal to have such high loads on a 1080 GPU? I look at it in task manager and I hit 60% load or higher in a game like Rocket League, which seems excessive.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Q8ee posted:

is it normal to have such high loads on a 1080 GPU? I look at it in task manager and I hit 60% load or higher in a game like Rocket League, which seems excessive.

I bet that if you put your settings right, you could hit 99%.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Drunk Badger posted:

I have a gaming PC with two monitors, and I've found that when I run video on my second monitor at the max 60 fps, it messes with my games running at 144 fps on the main monitor. Adding Chrome to the mix for looking things up screws with this even more. I'd like to get a mini pc to only run video / websites on (no gaming), something larger than a stick PC with the following:

Requirments:
1080p via DVI / HDMI / DP. Adapters are fine as long as it doesn't require VGA.
USB 2.0 or better, probably want two ports and can throw in a hub if needed.
2GB+ RAM
64GB internal storage (or SSD slot). Nothing I plan to do with this will require a lot of disk I/O.

Nice to have:
4K output of some sort. Adapters are still fine for this.
4GB RAM
Wired network access
3.5mm sound out (could be replaced with a USB sound output I guess)
Windows support. I'm comfortable with Linux, but I already am certain everything works with Windows as that's what I'm using now.
USB 3.0
VESA mount so I can put it behind my monitor

Apollo Lake NUCs hit every item on the list.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a used laptop with an SSD in it. I'd like to find out how much life the SSD has before it goes 'read-only' or whatever, so I can decide whether or not to replace it. Is there any way to find out (other than the hard way) ?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Geemer posted:

I bet that if you put your settings right, you could hit 99%.

so it's totally normal and fine for GPU loads to hit high levels? I just assumed that a powerful 1080 would hit 30%s or something for a mediocre graphically intensive game like Rocket League

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Do you have vsync disabled? If so then the GPU load will be high just due to the sheer number of frames being rendered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that makes sense, my FPS is around 140 or something