Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
We had a bunch of school groups coming through the museum before and after Pippa’s event and she stuck around to take photos with them and sign autographs. Then they turned the kids loose on the breakfast buffet and they raided the bacon platter. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dsriggs posted:

quote:

Fauxhawk Express posted:
I hope Penske pays similar tribute by failing to qualify

:asoiaf:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dudley posted:

What's better than one charity scam on a car? Two charity scams on a car!

Isn't Donate Life just the state organ donor registry?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Not sure actually, maybe it's one charity scam and one government backhander.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don’t know if Komen is a scam as much as it’s just a waste of money. “Awareness” and all. Pippa doesn’t take any money from any of them though, her family is ultra loaded.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My understanding is that the popular criticisms of Komen are actually wide of the mark. They have three stars out of four on Charity Navigator.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Komen, from my understanding, runs into the same problems all large charities run into: a lot spent on advertising and top officials, "not enough" spent on the the actual stated goal.

Though there was that whole planned parenthood flap a while back.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
What's the deal with such a long break between races here

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Athanatos posted:

What's the deal with such a long break between races here

Welcome to Indycar scheduling.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Well there was an open test at Barber today, and Helio got to drive!

I'm sure there's plenty of articles and stuff out there but the best thing is that Helio finished P3 on the day behind Newgarden and Power :smaug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:shlick:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhoa

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

listen, guys. i'd gently caress that car.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

kidcoelacanth posted:

listen, guys. i'd gently caress that car.

Seconded :flashfap:

Edit: I'd let that car gently caress me

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Well there was an open test at Barber today, and Helio got to drive!

I'm sure there's plenty of articles and stuff out there but the best thing is that Helio finished P3 on the day behind Newgarden and Power :smaug:

Uh no the best thing is YELLOW SUBMARINE PENNZOIL SCHEME

DEAR GOD YES

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Uh no the best thing is YELLOW SUBMARINE PENNZOIL SCHEME

DEAR GOD YES

Want a side view?

have a side view.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The NBC announcement is imminent. Eat poo poo ABC.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a19494741/indycar-will-be-broadcast-on-nbc-starting-in-2019/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

I don’t know if Komen is a scam as much as it’s just a waste of money. “Awareness” and all. Pippa doesn’t take any money from any of them though, her family is ultra loaded.

They raised last year about 1% of what it costs to run the car, I presume Pippa's paying to actually run the thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Want a side view?

have a side view.

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

this may or may not be related to my recent use of Pennzoil yellow submarine paint schemes in GT Sport, but still. Fwoah what a looker.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Well the NBC announcement is final, but this part of the press release stood out to me:

quote:

NBC Sports Gold – NBC Sports Group’s direct-to-consumer product – will offer a package to INDYCAR fans that features all qualifying and practices not televised live, all Indy Lights races, and full-event replays. Additional details, including the cost of the Gold offering, will be announced at a later date.

So to me this means that after this season the days of free practice/qualifying streaming on YouTube will end and will move behind a paywall. You guys have been asking for this so here ya go

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if this transitions into a package where you can watch all indycar races through streaming with no commercials i will gladly pay for it.

for everything wec does wrong, their streaming is top fuckin notch and every single motorsport should follow their example.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My only fear is that it will be expensive because it is "more than just Indycar".

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

My only fear is that it will be expensive because it is "more than just Indycar".

It also includes their non-televised Premier League games, which used to be free. I’m not super excited about this, I’d rather IndyCar just run a streaming service. I’m gonna be even less excited if I have to deal with ads for the whole of this deal.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

lol if you dont think NBC will have ads on their app

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've never had good experiences with NBC streaming.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

bootleg canadian streams 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I've never had good experiences with NBC streaming.

I've had worse with ESPN's. Stupidly enough, the best I've had is Fox Sports Go, but that's only with their in browser stuff. The apps for NBC and FSGo are equally ok.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NBC’s streaming app is god awful. It frequently deauthorizes you for no reason, occasionally just doesn’t play video, and forces you to watch a 30 second ad every time you start or change a stream. Luckily I can use YouTube TV for anything on a real channel, but this will suck for everything else.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wow, wasn't ESPN offering more races and network coverage on ABC?

I'm just hoping the coverage doesn't go to poo poo once they become the only option. NBC's NASCAR coverage is less than ideal.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

NBC’s streaming app is god awful. It frequently deauthorizes you for no reason, occasionally just doesn’t play video, and forces you to watch a 30 second ad every time you start or change a stream. Luckily I can use YouTube TV for anything on a real channel, but this will suck for everything else.

I had trouble logging in for the longest time and then had the poorly-placed commercials last night while streaming Flyers/Red Wings.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I heard 10 on broadcast vs 8 for NBC, but that's a small price to pay for the vastly better coverage IMO.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm just hoping the coverage doesn't go to poo poo once they become the only option. NBC's NASCAR coverage is less than ideal.

I had trouble logging in for the longest time and then had the poorly-placed commercials last night while streaming Flyers/Red Wings.

I once had to call my brother and have him log in to authenticate my NBC account, because the page wouldn’t load on any of my computers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I blame Max Chilton.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NBC Gold is a la cart, so theoretically you’ll be able to pay for just the IndyCar stuff. The premiere league pass is $20 a year and commercial free. If that’s what we get for indycar, I will buy the poo poo outta that. Even worst case of like $50 a year with ads, I’ll buy it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Meanwhile, there still isn't a legal way to watch IndyCar in my country as far as I can tell. :saddowns: I hope Kimi goes to IndyCar when Ferrari fires him after this season, maybe then we'll get coverage on some horribly expensive pay channel.

edit: oh poo poo never mind, it's on ESPN Player! I had no idea that even worked in Europe.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 21, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

NBC Gold is a la cart, so theoretically you’ll be able to pay for just the IndyCar stuff. The premiere league pass is $20 a year and commercial free. If that’s what we get for indycar, I will buy the poo poo outta that. Even worst case of like $50 a year with ads, I’ll buy it.

Which leads me to ask the rest of the thread, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I'd be fine with 50/year with ads, provided that they only do side-by-side ads and not full screen ads.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don’t pay for cable and can’t even pick up an NBC affiliate over the air cause of a dumb hill in the way, so I would likely pay an unreasonable amount.

The illegal streams are sometimes perfect, but sometimes unbelievably frustrating with the buffering and cutting out and such. Especially if besweet ain’t around.

E: this is assuming the live races are included in Gold...

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 21, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cygni posted:

The illegal streams are sometimes perfect, but sometimes unbelievably frustrating with the buffering and cutting out and such. Especially if besweet ain’t around.
Every time I've tried to watch that guy's streams, I've gotten fed up with the constant commercial breaks on American TV (seriously, how do you guys deal with this poo poo?) and ended up watching a Russian Viasat feed or something. :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Doc Morbid posted:

Every time I've tried to watch that guy's streams, I've gotten fed up with the constant commercial breaks on American TV (seriously, how do you guys deal with this poo poo?) and ended up watching a Russian Viasat feed or something. :v:

Yeah, that was a real common complaint for St Pete this year, the number of commercials and the horrible timing of them and when they'd cut back in.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Doc Morbid posted:

(seriously, how do you guys deal with this poo poo?)

Conditioning. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

My experience in finding streams is that there are only one or two races a year where I get something with middling quality or buffering issues. That's a pretty good batting average with my lovely internet speed. There are a couple of sites I know of where you can get pretty much any sports stream under the sun, plus the links that are posted on various Reddit threads. The trade-off is so many ads and pop-ups that not even the combined might of uBlock and Chrome's built-in pop-up blocker can stop them all.

Honestly though I'm getting a little tired of relying on these kinds of streams. I'm more happy that more races will be on regular TV, since I can sit down on the couch and enjoy them that way.