Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, I get what the cartoonist is going for and I normally love his work...but I get irrationally annoyed when people spread misinformation about the infamous murder of Kitty Genovese (even if only indirectly) so I gotta take a moment to set the record straight:

First of all, the problem wasn't that nobody wanted to get involved, people did get involved. Someone shouted at the man attacking her to leave her alone, which scared him off, and numerous people made calls to 911. However, the police didn't come because, well, like I said everyone calling in said that the man had already been scared off so the cops didn't think there was anything more to do (This ultimately resulted in a change in the way 911 calls are responded to, now every incident gets investigated even if the callers claim everything is fine now). Also, Kitty didn't seem to be hurt. She was (she had in fact been stabbed), but she appeared to be okay and was walking normally according to what the people calling 911 could see so no ambulance was sent. Kitty made it to the door of her apartment, out of sight from her neighbors, but was so weak from blood loss that she couldn't get the door open. At this point the man who had attacked her before snuck back onto the scene and, out of sight and with Kitty too hurt to call for help, stabbed her more, raped her, and then robbed her before leaving her to bleed to death. Later, her neighbor Sophia Farrar found her and held her in her arms until the police were once again called and actually showed up this time. Sadly, Kitty bled out on the way to the hospital and died.

Oh, and Kitty Genovese was a lesbian. That part of her life is often erased because it was kept out of the papers at the time, back then being gay was considered unsympathetic: http://www.afterellen.com/people/212755-kitty-genoveses-secret-lesbian-history
Minor correction: there was no 911 at the time, and the confusion caused by the existing system (or lack of any coherent system to handle emergency calls) in this case is part of what helped lead to that being created.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Katt posted:

Why do high profile politicians even have facebook? You're already "in" You don't have to pretend to be a human any more. Just try not to muck things up and hope your party stays in power.

She was formerly a political consultant, so everything she does is quite calculated, and loves that Facebook allows her to appear as an ordinary person and appeal to the party base using a medium where she will not be edited or questioned while receiving large amount of support every time she posts.

Except that she finally pushed things too far by labeling the opposition as terrorists sympathizers, which finally made the small supporting christian party announce that they would support a vote of non confidence in her. Considering she said that they had been licking the backs of imams during the last election, I don't think they felt too bad about getting rid of her, except that there was concern that the government would push for a vote of non confidence for the entire government, which was not something anybody really wanted.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

itskage posted:

It's supposed to liken the Russia investigation to the Spanish inquisition via Mel Brooks' movie the history of the world part 1.

Also if you enumerate your images it makes it easier for people to quote them. (Esp when phone posting)

oh? I just copy the image link and then paste it in the quote. But sure.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Pakled posted:

Mike Flugennock is a leftist who criticizes Democrats a lot more than he criticizes Republicans, and he's convinced that the Russia stuff is 100% bullshit made up by the Democrats to make Trump look bad. I guess with all the news about Mueller lately, that's got him on a "Democrats are awful" kick.

So he’s basically Rall 2.0

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cat Mattress posted:

Does Tina really exist? The art style for the drawing and the writing style for the rant are so similar to Z. Ben Garrison that it's hard to believe a different person made them.

Well, would a sane person marry BenG? Imagine what it would be like to live with the man if you're not steeped in the same kool-aid.

Clever Spambot posted:

I like reading political comics wrong on purpose but its almost too easy to do with the nazi klurf comics, are they doing it deliberately?

Well, the author's stance is that the only issue there is with Donald Trump is that he's not Hitler enough, which is still a bit beyond the pale in Trump's America, so you've gotta put in a dogwhistle or two. Coupled with the fact that frankly any reading is more charitable than the intended one, you get easy AGCs galore.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

itskage posted:

It's supposed to liken the Russia investigation to the Spanish inquisition via Mel Brooks' movie the history of the world part 1.

Mel Brooks, really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, would a sane person marry BenG? Imagine what it would be like to live with the man if you're not steeped in the same kool-aid.
Just remember that Mike Lester is still married, according to the police report.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The meaning of symbols and flags change depending on who uses them. The swastika is indeed a good example of that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

And it just goes on and on and on. I don't remember it being so drawn out. is this like old SNL where you're supposed to be stoned when watching it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

The meaning of symbols and flags change depending on who uses them. The swastika is indeed a good example of that.

Pepe is not a hate symbol. Oh the Kekistan flag? Oh that's made in mockery of the nazis to piss them off. Yes I'm well aware that they are using the flag now on their cosplay shields and armour but only through mockery can we defeat nazism.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Am I the only one who found a tangled dick in this image?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jurgan posted:

So he’s basically Rall 2.0

Yes, exactly, he's also got ties to Russian propaganda organs.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Am I the only one who found a tangled dick in this image?

cocked it up, you might say

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah sorry I was getting the "M" named comedy bits from before I was born confused and thought it was referencing the better one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnF1OtP2Svk

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Katt posted:

oh? I just copy the image link and then paste it in the quote. But sure.

Oh yeah that's not a bad idea if I'm just quoting one of them.

It does make it a bit easier otherwise, per the op.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

itskage posted:

Also if you enumerate your images it makes it easier for people to quote them. (Esp when phone posting)

Monty Python, rather.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Katt posted:

And it just goes on and on and on. I don't remember it being so drawn out. is this like old SNL where you're supposed to be stoned when watching it?

Even the members of Monty Python acknowledge that they made a lot of crap back in the day. They just made so much of it that the good rises to the top. Natural selection and survival of the fittest in entertainment.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Merkle just can't help being racist, can he?

quote:

Hmm

P
R
A
F
V
B
S

PRAy For Visual BaSic?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Skelly draws heads real weird.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Skelly draws heads real weird.

It helps if you picture the under-nose gap as a gaping mouth

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Vladimir Putin's election victory – Senior Russian officials have said that Vladimir Putin’s decisive win in the presidential elections reflects popular support for his muscular foreign policy and would bolster his role as a counterweight to the west"
Also! The Guardian are offering prints of some of Rowson's illustrations from a recent book of British Prime Ministers. Take a look!

Telegraph:

After Fred W Rose.

Independent:

Boris Johnson defends playing tennis with wife of Putin's ex-minister in return for £160,000 Tory donation

Times:

UK drops bid for instant return of fisheries control – sources

Evening Standard:

Mail:
Mac on…plastic that we eat and breathe

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Kirschen posted:

Aliyah Day. Is it Heshvan or Nisan? March or October? Please excuse the confusion. Yom HaAliyah is celebrated on the tenth of the Hebrew month of Nisan and ALSO (apparently) on the seventh of the Hebrew month of Heshvan, to commemorate the Biblical account of the Israelites entering the Land of Israel!
It's the kind of confusion and necessary disagreement that we locals are used to.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jurgan posted:

Even the members of Monty Python acknowledge that they made a lot of crap back in the day. They just made so much of it that the good rises to the top. Natural selection and survival of the fittest in entertainment.

The cockroaches and the lumberjack song will be left after the nukes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We simply cannot afford a November 7 mentality.

What a terrible cartoon, the image in the middle is blurred but the guy in the third panel can apparently see it perfectly clearly.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yes, let's ignore the race aspect of these attacks and just go "SPLODEY GO BOOM"

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 20, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/AaronLinguini/status/976094345811124224
What the gently caress Wuerker? No it's cool, go ahead and endorse the deep state narrative.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Locals? Really?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I was gonna say Loss.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Was there ever any confirmation? Or is it just the timing and similar styles makes it awfully suspicious?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

D.N. Nation posted:

Yes, let's ignore the race aspect of these attacks and just go "SPLODEY GO BOOM"

Oh poo poo that's what that cartoon is about? It's so generic and bland that I thought the cartoonist was just taking a vacation in Austin, I didn't noticed the charred edges and connect it to the bombs currently being sent to the homes of black families until you said something.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I thought Deep State was conspiracy theory clap-trap? I don't know what Wuerker is necessarily trying to say, but I keep seeing the term used in proper media channels as if it was a thing that properly existed and did what people think it does, as opposed to just the grouping of career bureaucrats that it's composed of

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I thought Deep State was conspiracy theory clap-trap? I don't know what Wuerker is necessarily trying to say, but I keep seeing the term used in proper media channels as if it was a thing that properly existed and did what people think it does, as opposed to just the grouping of career bureaucrats that it's composed of
"Deep State" is a reference to the numerous career bureaucrats that exist in any major government because, well, you need bureaucrats to have a bureaucracy, with the added implication that those bureaucrats are more beholden to certain national ideals rather than the elected representatives who lead them. If elected leaders conflict with those ideals, the career officials will resist.

In the United States, it appear those national ideals are "the Rule of Law" and "a Functional Government".

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Monty Python, rather.

*trips over themselves so hard to correct someone that they can't bother to read the handful of posts after it.*

*pushes up glasses*

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Ben reaction to those Carrey cartoons came out fast.

Garrison posted:

Jim Carrey has spent the last six years working on paintings.

His work is currently for sale at galleries located in Hawaii, Nevada and Florida. One critic called his work “astonishingly bad.” I won’t go that far. Carrey is not without talent, but his work is pretentious and amateurish. It was his movie star fame that enabled him to cut ahead at the front of long line of more experienced artists looking for gallery representation. I can’t help but wonder which fine artist got displaced at those galleries to make room for Carrey, who paints merely for therapeutic reasons.

Now he’s aiming his artistic canon toward politics. His latest cartoon was a ‘monstrous’ portrait of Sarah Huckabee Sanders. A sign of a good political cartoon is its ability to make people angry, and Carrey succeeded. He’s drawn similarly unflattering portraits of President Trump, which have also garnered some attention.

On the other hand, none of it would have achieved much attention if it weren’t for his fame. I’ve been cartooning for nearly 10 years now. I’ve achieved some success only in the past couple of years, thanks to my supporters and my wife Tina, who worked hard to promote my work. Carrey gets a shortcut and that’s fine. He’s also entitled to his free speech, even if many disagree with his apparent Trump-derangement syndrome. The funny man’s protest cartoons aren’t funny. Instead, they’re gaudy, clumsy things designed to shock. That’s fine, too. Cartoons can be effective without being funny.

Carrey starred in the popular film, “Man in the Moon,” in which he claimed he was psychically taken over by Andy Kaufman. Carrey said the role made him ‘psychotic’ at times. Carrey then had a very troubled relationship with a former makeup artist named Cathriona White, which ended with her suicide in 2015. She claimed Carrey ruined her life by introducing her to drugs as well as giving her sexually transmitted diseases. Carrey has denied this. A wrongful death suit against Carrey was dismissed earlier this year.

Carrey was a rubber-faced comedian much beloved by millions. His face has now deflated into a mass of wrinkled sadness. He’s not funny any more, but that didn’t stop me from drawing him. Consider it payback for dumbing down fine art and your even dumber political cartoons.

—Ben Garrison

Bonus cartoons:
https://twitter.com/GarrisonToons/status/976204749707141121

Ben retweeted some guy's poster who's mad about Arnie saying bad things about fossil fuels in a speech

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grrrison posted:

... not without talent, but his work is pretentious and amateurish.
... cartoons aren’t funny. Instead, they’re gaudy, clumsy things designed to shock.
... even dumber political cartoons
As I read those sentences, my vision became increasingly blurry and all I could see was :ironicat: laughing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't think even Garrison is dumb enough to have missed the hypocrisy. Seems he's jealous that someone who shares his level of talent at cartooning managed to get more exposure by being more talented in other areas.

And I suppose this means even he can't pretend the House investigation ending means something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!