Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d say Strange is worth a watch (it’s currently up on Netflix US). Cumberbatch and the overall plot are fairly mediocre, but the Dormammu “fight” is great and Ejiofor and Wong do well with their unfortunately limited roles. Mads was completely wasted but “Mr Doctor” is a fantastic exchange.

I really think you could have elevated the film just by switching some of the casting. Have Mikkelson or Ejiofor play Strange, Cumberbatch as Wong, Benedict Wong as Mordo or the Ancient One. The plot would still be thin but at least you wouldn’t have a weak lead and three wasted talents.

I really liked Ejiofor’s development in Dr Strange. I’m not at all familiar with Strange’s rogue gallery, so his turn at the end both caught me by surprise but made sense with his character.

Timby posted:

To be fair, that's hardly unique to Doctor Strange. Thor 2 had Christopher Eccleston then made the inexplicable decision of putting him under 20 pounds of makeup and having 99 percent of his dialogue be gibberish. Iron Man 2 almost completely wastes both Rourke and Rockwell. Lee Pace is criminally under-used in Guardians 1. Daniel Bruhl is a complete non-entity in Civil War, as is Robert Redford in Winter Soldier, and I can't remember a single thing Corey Stoll did in Ant-Man.

Corey Stoll’s character is the most disappointing villain to me because you could see the pieces of his dissent into madness at wanting to be like Hank but was told so incoherently. there was nothing sensible about the way his motivations played out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah mordo has a better arc than strange which is kinda funny

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

As a fan of Dr. Strange, the Mordo in the film was much better than the one in the comics. I'd re-read some of the classics before the film (unfortunately I saw it the night before the election...) and Mordo is kind of a generic Eurotrash "I pledge myself to evil because I want to win!" character. The version in the movie has, like, a motivation other than being an evil wizard. (I wonder if he'll have a connection to Wakanda.)

As for the Fortune article, I'm sad that PR2 isn't getting over but boy, whatever happens it's the black folks' fault, huh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inkspot posted:

I like the theme a lot more after realizing you can sing the letters of AVENGERS to the melody.

I went to listen to it to check that and now I can't unhear it. Bastard.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

This is the new best image on the internet. I am so in love with this right now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bruceski posted:

I went to listen to it to check that and now I can't unhear it. Bastard.

I mean...you can say the same thing about MACARONI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

As a fan of Dr. Strange, the Mordo in the film was much better than the one in the comics. I'd re-read some of the classics before the film (unfortunately I saw it the night before the election...) and Mordo is kind of a generic Eurotrash "I pledge myself to evil because I want to win!" character. The version in the movie has, like, a motivation other than being an evil wizard. (I wonder if he'll have a connection to Wakanda.)

What.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

This is the new best image on the internet. I am so in love with this right now.

BSS Movie Thread: Wakanda Forever

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

twistedmentat posted:

I love all the MCU movies, some I prefer over others, but I don't find any boring or actively hate any of them.

I agree with this, though I do kind of find Thor 2... maybe not boring, but unremarkable? The movie is fine, but nothing I go out of my way to watch.

My personal rankings from best to worst:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Doctor Strange
Thor
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: The Dark World

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, I’m gonna go see it on Friday but I don’t have high hopes, which sucks since Pacific Rim is one of my favorite big dumb movies.

Ever since they announced GDT wasn’t back I’ve been like “welp”.

I love Boyega and I’ll take any excuse to watch big dumb robots fight big dumb monsters, but none of the trailers have done anything for me. A lot of the more recent trailers and spots have put an emphasis on the teenage cadet pilot academy stuff and it just doesn’t interest me at all.

If someone had told me 5 years ago that I’d be this lukewarm about a PR sequel, I’d have assumed they were insane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I agree with this, though I do kind of find Thor 2... maybe not boring, but unremarkable? The movie is fine, but nothing I go out of my way to watch.

My personal rankings from best to worst:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Doctor Strange
Thor
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: The Dark World

Savage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m on board with anyone saying that Pacific Rim 2 doesn’t look that good, provided we’re not pretending the first one was.

Rhyno posted:

Savage.

Terrible at making lists, Gavok! Don’t quit your day job.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Nessus posted:

(I wonder if he'll have a connection to Wakanda.)

lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Savage.

No, he was in a different Spider-Man movie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
no one is talking about the Silver Surfer rumors in Infinity War? I will just assume they're as bullshit as I initially thought.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I saw Thor Ragnarok recently and while I liked it a lot and thought it was an incredibly exciting movie it also made me realize I just don't find Asgard or the Asgardians as a society very interesting or compelling. I don't remember many specifics about Thor 2 but I suspect that's a big part of why I didn't like it. It's kind of a shame because I think if they would've leaned on the mythological style harder it could've worked better for me. I think the scene with Hella and the Valkyries is an example at how to do it right because it looks like something off a tapestry or mural (or metal album cover) come to life when normally the style of the Asgard stuff wouldn't feel out of place in a Lord of the Rings movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

no one is talking about the Silver Surfer rumors in Infinity War? I will just assume they're as bullshit as I initially thought.

They don’t have the rights to him right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i gotta agree with aphrodite on this one, pr was a decent popcorn movie but i wouldnt call it good, and im not expecting any better from 2

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read that PR2 will be doing well if it makes $25m in its first weekend and I'm sure there must be a reasonable chance that BP could still beat it.

I suppose Infinity War will probably do better than BP as far as money is concerned, but it's probably the only movie out this year that could. It could conceivably end up that Infinity War makes more overall worldwide but makes less than BP has in America, couldn't it?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 21, 2018

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I used to respect you Gavok.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Holy Moley.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think i made that in a pirated copy of photoshop back in 02

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I want to know who Peter Dinklage is going to be in IW. My friend has speculated Pip the troll but I feel like the Dink wouldn't want to play a character who was cursed to be small

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Trask

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wolverine

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

poly and open-minded posted:

I want to know who Peter Dinklage is going to be in IW. My friend has speculated Pip the troll but I feel like the Dink wouldn't want to play a character who was cursed to be small

Corvus Glaive doesn't have a listed voice actor yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

I’m on board with anyone saying that Pacific Rim 2 doesn’t look that good, provided we’re not pretending the first one was.

:raise:
It’s not a cinematic classic or anything, but there’s no way I’d call it bad. It’s a big dumb popcorn flick made by a big fat nerd who obviously loves those kinds of movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wouldnt puck be an obvious choice if theyre gonna have carol too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This possibility came up a while ago and I doubt it's gonna happen because I don't see how he'd fit into the movie at this point but Dinklage would make a great JJJ

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The theory I've heard (with some supposed support from leaks) is Eitri, and he helps forge Thor's new weapon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

wouldnt puck be an obvious choice if theyre gonna have carol too

They don't have the Alpha Flight rights yet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

JT Smiley posted:

I used to respect you Gavok.

You still do, but you used to too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The theory I've heard (with some supposed support from leaks) is Eitri, and he helps forge Thor's new weapon.

Bit on the nose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

poly and open-minded posted:

Feige said that the Black Order would have voice actors that people would probably recognize. So I'm thinking Ebony Maw or Black Dwarf (who I think they're calling Cull Obsidian for the movie).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think Dinklage would be a pretty good Corvus Glaive. I mean, at least as written by Hickman in Infinity and New Avengers.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 21, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dinklage’s last voice over work didn’t go so well.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Dinklage’s last voice over work didn’t go so well.

That Thanos came from the Moon, Titan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really like this idea.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I saw Thor Ragnarok recently and while I liked it a lot and thought it was an incredibly exciting movie it also made me realize I just don't find Asgard or the Asgardians as a society very interesting or compelling. I don't remember many specifics about Thor 2 but I suspect that's a big part of why I didn't like it. It's kind of a shame because I think if they would've leaned on the mythological style harder it could've worked better for me. I think the scene with Hella and the Valkyries is an example at how to do it right because it looks like something off a tapestry or mural (or metal album cover) come to life when normally the style of the Asgard stuff wouldn't feel out of place in a Lord of the Rings movie.

I love that scene, that's why it's my sig! and the direction, editing and lighting reminds me a lot of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Went to see Black Panther for a Third time and brought my Mom and 85 year old grandma. My Grandma absolutely loved it, and that's saying a lot, because she's never sat through a comic book movie in her life.

Gavok posted:

You still do, but you used to too.

Darn it, I can't stay mad at you! Even if you are totally wrong about Homecoming....

• Locked thread