Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tater_salad posted:

Know what else is hard to gently caress up and cheap as all getout.... Pork shoulder.. but it's a decently long smoke. (90min/lb)

I promise I will do a pork shoulder soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A big colony of pregnant ferals isn't :3:, it's :gonk:. Look up TNR resources in your area.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
You can dry out chicken breast if you're not careful, but legs and thighs are super easy. They'll stay juicy for a pretty large temperature range. I'd say get a pack of chicken dark quarters and give that a shot. Pretty easy pieces to smoke.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Have you ever considered not being a giant snarky rear end in a top hat bitch?

He's right. Seriously, read amazingribs.com and the billion articles they have on there about everything smoking related. There's nothing that unique about what smoker you have. Don't bother smoking or ruining more food until you have a pretty good grasp of the process. It's not hard after your first few smokes, just put in a hour of your time so we can stop pissing down the well on you here.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-calibrate-your-grill-or-smoker-dry

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-ingredients-glossaries/tips-buying-meat

All from here in the science & tech section.
https://amazingribs.com/table-contents

Then read some recipes for what you want to cook from that site. It breaks down everything you would need to know. Gotta walk before you run.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 21, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ this..

I buy like 3 big packs of "not chicken breasts" and smoke them when I'm having a party and don't want to smoke stuff forever. I have yet to gently caress up chicken bits.

Note: if for some reason your store sells skinless chicken bits don't buy those they'll be terrible, I feel like this caveat needs to be stated.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

That is way too much wood holy poo poo :laffo:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm doing 4 racks of ribs and 4 half-chickens in the PBC this coming Saturday for a party. Gonna go with a huli-huli marinade/glaze for both of them. gently caress yeah Pit Barrel Cooker.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Larrymer posted:

He's right. Seriously, read amazingribs.com and the billion articles they have on there about everything smoking related. There's nothing that unique about what smoker you have. Don't bother smoking or ruining more food until you have a pretty good grasp of the process. It's not hard after your first few smokes, just put in a hour of your time so we can stop pissing down the well on you here.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-calibrate-your-grill-or-smoker-dry

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-ingredients-glossaries/tips-buying-meat

All from here in the science & tech section.
https://amazingribs.com/table-contents

Then read some recipes for what you want to cook from that site. It breaks down everything you would need to know. Gotta walk before you run.

Well look at that, I’m already learning something.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

quote:

Black and gray smoke happen when the fire is starving for oxygen, and they can make bitter, sooty food tasting like an ash tray. Billowing white smoke is common when you just start the fire, and when the fuel needs lots of oxygen as it goes through stages 1 (dehydration) and 2 (gassification). If it doesn't get enough and if the fuel is not emitting gases for stage 3 (burning bush combustion), the fuel smolders and produces white smoke. For short cooks of thin meats, you might just want the heavier, more intense white smoke, and we'll discuss that below. Here are some tips on how to get blue smoke for long cooks.

Get your smoke from wood. Don't worry if your wood bursts into flame. A lot of beginners fret over their burning wood and want it to smolder and belch smoke. You'll use more wood if you let it burn, and you'll have to struggle a bit to maintain temperature control, but you'll get better flavor.

Charcoal belches flamboyant white smoke when it is igniting. You don't want to add meat until the coals are fully aflame and at their peak in heat, when it has a white coat of ash. Then add wood at the start of the cook. Remember, charcoal is for heat, not flavor. If the temp runs up a bit at the start of the cook, it's not a big problem. The meat is cold and it can take a little extra heat. Then, when the wood burns out, stabilize the temp.

Apparently my white smoke came from the wood igniting, and not from improper combustion, and the reason there was so much of it for so long was because I used too much wood. So the reason the smoke appeared to decrease and turn blue later on is because it was doing exactly what it was supposed to. In other words, my smoke was fine this entire time, I just used way too much wood.

So uh... hunh...... wait what else did I do wrong? I think I might’ve also added the wood before the charcoal got hot enough, but was that it?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
IDK how it is on kamados but on my Webers I run the top vent fully open and control the temperature by opening or closing the bottom damper. Maybe give that a whirl.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

VERTiG0 posted:

IDK how it is on kamados but on my Webers I run the top vent fully open and control the temperature by opening or closing the bottom damper. Maybe give that a whirl.

I do the same thing on my WSM - and that seems to be exactly what the general internet indicates also - not sure what is special enough about a BGE that it would behave differently from a pure convection and combustion standpoint.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ROJO posted:

I do the same thing on my WSM - and that seems to be exactly what the general internet indicates also - not sure what is special enough about a BGE that it would behave differently from a pure convection and combustion standpoint.

My WSM is leaky as hell and I have to use the top vent to fine tune the temp. I'm careful not to close it too much as trapping the smoke inside can cause bitter flavours.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 21, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am curing 5 pounds of pork belly. It was really good looking pork belly, but costco cut it into ~1.5" strips for some reason.

Also my wife is now terrified of prague powder.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I feel like I read 5 novels worth of info before i even bought my WSM, much less started throwing poo poo in it and posting about it on the internet.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I did my learning on youtube. Got into the hobby a few years back after following some youtube bbq'ers and going "I wanna do that".

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?
I find so much enjoyment from hunting through the depths of the Internet whenever I get into a new hobby, whether it’s modifying cars, photography, smoking meats, sous vide cooking, etc etc

There are communities for almost any hobby/interest, and the wealth of human knowledge is nicely arranged for you on the Internet. Put some time in and do some research! I find that researching and planning phase to be one of the most fun parts of the process.

For example, here I am at work researching how to modify trailers and get the smoker trailer I want put together. Doodling designs and researching other people’s trailer builds is exciting as hell.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BritishRacingGreen posted:

I find so much enjoyment from hunting through the depths of the Internet whenever I get into a new hobby, whether it’s modifying cars, photography, smoking meats, sous vide cooking, etc etc

There are communities for almost any hobby/interest, and the wealth of human knowledge is nicely arranged for you on the Internet. Put some time in and do some research! I find that researching and planning phase to be one of the most fun parts of the process.

For example, here I am at work researching how to modify trailers and get the smoker trailer I want put together. Doodling designs and researching other people’s trailer builds is exciting as hell.

Same.

I keep looking into wood working since my father and father-in-law both dabble and have all the tools, but I’m a thousand miles away and every time I look at various parts of the hobby I get overwhelmed unlike any other hobby of mine before. I built a workbench in the garage and then promptly went back to other hobbies.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

VERTiG0 posted:

Kamados are much better insulated and better sealed than the Webers. I don't have an egg, but on my kamado, the top is almost completely closed while smoking.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Yea even my cheap rear end non ceramic Kamado, I only have to open the bottom vent like 1/5 of an inch, the top vent maybe 1/4 of an inch, to maintain 250. I usually leave the bottom vent only open a crack and use the top to adjust temperature.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

It was...alright. Definitely not my best brisket. Not dry, but not very juicy either. I attribute that to it being Canada AA grade instead of AAA or Prime, but those are nearly impossible to find around here.

That said, the flavour was great, and the leftovers will be great for chopped brisket sandwiches.

Doing my first brisket on the PBC on Sunday. How long did yours take? Also what was the weight?

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 21, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On my Akorn, for 225, the bottom vent is closed to where i can only see the gap if i look at it from the side, and the top vent is maybe 1/16" open.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

bewbies posted:

I am curing 5 pounds of pork belly. It was really good looking pork belly, but costco cut it into ~1.5" strips for some reason.

Also my wife is now terrified of prague powder.

My Costco typically has both sliced and full skinless bellies. I believe they do the slicing in house, so you might try asking an employee if you don't see any full bellies on the rack. I assume there are some common recipes that use sliced belly, but no idea what they are.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Before I post the pics of my chuck roast from last night, I have a couple questions.

I just dropped my pork belly in the bacon cure, but it’s pretty thin, only about an inch thick at it’s thickest point, and it was too long to fit cleanly in the gallon-size Ziploc bag I stuck it in so it’s folded a bit at one end. Amazing Ribs says that stacking meat in bacon cure is a bad idea, so is it okay that one end of the meat is folded if I pretend that the folded end is twice the thickness?

Also the folded meat is about 1.25-1.5 inches thick, so taking that into account, the Wet Curing Calculator on AmazingRibs.com shows it should stay in the cure between 2.1 and 3 days. Is that about right?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can anybody recommend a smoke+sous vide technique for a pork shoulder? Gonna make Memphis dust and give this method a try soon.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Can anybody recommend a smoke+sous vide technique for a pork shoulder? Gonna make Memphis dust and give this method a try soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPAMMe5co0o

Of course, non liquid smoke version

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've been around bbq all my life and still read this entire thread and a ton of other poo poo before trying my smoker. Don't Dunning-Kruger yourself.

I'm going to have a ton of chilis soon and I can't wait to smoke a ton of them for mole and chili.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 22, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What ya growing? I have some cowhorn cayennes that are looking good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've got several poblanos, cayenne, jalapeño and something labeled basket of fire that's already got 20 or so fruit.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

What better way to spend a calm and relatively warm (42F) Friday than smoking a pork shoulder, couple rack of ribs, and a family pack of chicken thighs?

Here you can see my PBC grate mod in all its glory, lowest grate has a pizza pan to deflect some of the heat (something I’m trying out), second rack has nothing, third has a full pork shoulder, and top rack (now) has two baby back racks on top. Temps holding around 270 on the top rack.

EDIT: 1 hour in - I spent a little bit of time playing with the intake, and I am managing to keep a perfect 255 on the top rack for my ribs now. Super pumped for what might turn out to be some drat good ribs, and the first since modding the PBC.

BritishRacingGreen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 23, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What better way to spend a calm and relatively warm (42F) Friday than smoking a pork shoulder, couple rack of ribs, and a family pack of chicken thighs?

Here you can see my PBC grate mod in all its glory, lowest grate has a pizza pan to deflect some of the heat (something I’m trying out), second rack has nothing, third has a full pork shoulder, and top rack (now) has two baby back racks on top. Temps holding around 270 on the top rack.

EDIT: 1 hour in - I spent a little bit of time playing with the intake, and I am managing to keep a perfect 255 on the top rack for my ribs now. Super pumped for what might turn out to be some drat good ribs, and the first since modding the PBC.

God drat I'm jealous. Gonna have to figure how to work a drill and do mine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay here’s those chuck roast pics I promised.

The roast. It’s about 3 lbs.

After I applied the dry brine. This was at 11:30 PM.

After applying the rub. It was 1:30 in the morning when I did this, two hours after the dry brine. After this I put the roast in a Ziploc bag and stuck it in the fridge.

I put the roast on the Egg just after 9:00 AM.

Two and a half hours later, the internal temp was 160° and it was time to wrap the roast in foil per the recipe I used. I feel like it should’ve taken longer than that for the temp to hit 160° but whatever. :shrug:

Pulled the roast at 205° at 3:00 PM. It was supposed to be an 8-hour cook but it only took 6 hours.

Overall it was pretty good but I think I used too much rub.

In other news, I just bought a SHITLOAD of cheeses and I’m gonna cold smoke all of them as soon as I empty the bean cans I bought to hold the coals. Pics will follow. Get hype. :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RisqueBarber posted:

Gonna have to figure how to work a drill and do mine.

Let one manly hobby pave the way for another.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

God drat I'm jealous. Gonna have to figure how to work a drill and do mine.

Honestly it isn’t as hard as you think! I would recommend having a friend to help you, though, as having someone brace the smoker against you while you’re drilling will be helpful. Having someone hold the nut as you screw the bolt in will be helpful too. If you’d like I can draw you a detailed diagram to help you out while I wait for my ribs, which I just wrapped.

EDIT: I drew you a really quick diagram. I’m no engineer but I figure this would be helpful.

EDIT V2: these ribs are really great. Better than any I made with the PBC hanging method. I no longer have any regrets about modifying my PBC.

BritishRacingGreen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Why not just get a Weber from the get go?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Hello there my new friend.

No meat tonight. I am doing the burn in.

Tomorrow night I am having friends over and will be doing something tasty to break it in though! :)

Can't wait! I love new toys!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Before I actually attempt this later today, will cold smoking a block of Philadelphia cream cheese cause it to melt onto everything else in the smoker? Assuming the temp is 90° or so and there is a sheet of wax paper under it.

I’m trying to avoid a mess.

EDIT: I also need to know where to put the temperature probe, which on my thermometer is an alligator clip. I’m gonna be using the setup described here to cold smoke a bunch of cheeses. Is it okay to clip the probe to the wire rack the cheese sits on, even though it’s over a pan full of ice, or should I put it someplace else?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 24, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So there were some questions about "billowing white smoke" versus "thin blue smoke" in here so I took a couple shots from the smoke I'm doing today.

Billowing white smoke:
https://i.imgur.com/mMpcMJm.mp4

Thin blue smoke:
https://i.imgur.com/SgPyOF2.mp4

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

RisqueBarber posted:

Doing my first brisket on the PBC on Sunday. How long did yours take? Also what was the weight?

Mine took about 8 hours total, it was 9lbs. Took only 2.5 hours to get to 160, then I wrapped in butcher paper and rode it out til probe tender.

This kicks rear end and I am so doing this to my PBC. You bought some 18" Weber grates?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
5.5 lb bone-in shoulder with Memphis Dust going on the 22" WSM at 5 AM, kingsford blue and apple chunks. Got my coffee and my nintendo switch all ready to ride this one out until the wife and dogs wake up. First smoke of the year, so wanted to stick with something foolproof. I'll probably through a tray of beans under it partway through.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Before I actually attempt this later today, will cold smoking a block of Philadelphia cream cheese cause it to melt onto everything else in the smoker? Assuming the temp is 90° or so and there is a sheet of wax paper under it.

I’m trying to avoid a mess.

EDIT: I also need to know where to put the temperature probe, which on my thermometer is an alligator clip. I’m gonna be using the setup described here to cold smoke a bunch of cheeses. Is it okay to clip the probe to the wire rack the cheese sits on, even though it’s over a pan full of ice, or should I put it someplace else?

Whatever you do, don't overshoot your target temp. You want to place the probe where the cheese is going to be, but ensure the probe tip is at least an inch or two away from any of the cheese being smoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
6.5 hours in, thoroughly in the stall at 154 for the last two hours.