Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Nice. I'm interested to hear how lump in the PBC works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It seems to burn a little hotter, its holding steady at 300 right now at grate level. I attribute that to the many smaller pieces that are in there vs. the uniform size of Kingsford briquettes.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Pulled at 8 hours 17 minutes, thickest point temp 204 and probe tender. Wrapped in towels and into a cooler for a few hours.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

VERTiG0 posted:

Pulled at 8 hours 17 minutes, thickest point temp 204 and probe tender. Wrapped in towels and into a cooler for a few hours.

Looking forward to the eating report. Did it hold at around 300 all the way through? To finish at 8 hours I'd assume so. I've heard a lot of success stories for brisket at high temp but I've never tried it myself.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It was...alright. Definitely not my best brisket. Not dry, but not very juicy either. I attribute that to it being Canada AA grade instead of AAA or Prime, but those are nearly impossible to find around here.

That said, the flavour was great, and the leftovers will be great for chopped brisket sandwiches.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Finally got all of the bacon-making ingredients.

The pork belly is frozen solid and sitting in my fridge. Is there any reason I shouldn’t just put it on my counter or run it under the sink to thaw? I’m real anxious to put it in the cure.

Also the pork belly came with the skin on and I need to figure out what to do about that (besides save the skin).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meanwhile, I have a chuck roast I’m gonna smoke tomorrow using one of the two recipes below.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/barbecue-smoked-bbq-beef-chuck-recipe.html
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-and-pulled-beef-chuck-roast-recipe

I’m gonna use this opportunity to find out what’s wrong with my smoke, so there’ll be a ton of pictures posted.

EDIT: After careful consideration, I think I’m gonna use the AmazingRibs recipe because it looks awesome.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 20, 2018

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Cured and smoked salmon this weekend. Did a dry cure overnight with a half cup salt, half cup white and brown sugar mix, wrapped in tinfoil and weighted down with a dish. Rinsed and patted dry, then dried with a fan for an hour to form pelicle. Applied a brown sugar, smoked paprika, black and cayenne pepper rub and threw it in the smoker for 4.5 hours at 160 degrees until the internal temp reached 150. Was a huge hit at work, but smoke flavor was a little muted since the chips didn't combust (just turned black instead of going to ash). Used pecan chips but next time might use apple.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Oh good, you're still alive. I assumed you started to use your pink salt as a normal table/kosher salt substitute and killed yourself and your whole family.

Good luck with the bacon.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?

VERTiG0 posted:

After doing the 15/10/10 lighting method, the shoulder is on!

So I need to try this. I’ve been doing the 15/15 method, with the latter 15 being lid on and bars in. I’ve been having issues with my charcoal basket being half lit half dead on one distinct side. Before I thought it was to do with wind but I blocked in my smoker. Then I started lighting fewer briquettes to start with and making a sort of donut shape with the charcoal in the basket and putting the burning briquettes into the empty center. I’ll have to try your method next time I light up.

This weekend I modded my PBC and added more grates because I was getting tired of being limited to 1 grate of wings at a time. I ended up smoking 18 lbs of wings and a few friends stopped by and bought some off of me. They were delicious, smoky, and a little more mild than I expected even though I let them sit in my rub that’s loaded with red pepper flakes overnight.

Speaking of selling food, I’m planning on building a smoker trailer soon, and I’m a little conflicted. In New England there are floods of 275 gallon oil tanks for under $50, and you can make a REALLY serious smoker with that.I’ve been thinking that I would NOT build a firebox on the side, and rather shovel the hot embers into the bottom of the tank. That way I feel like I’d get something close to a traditional pig roasting pit from the south, the ones made of brick/cinderblock covered in cardboard that turn out hogs every 24 hours, every day of the week. The pit masters would traditionally have a burn barrel and shovel the coals directly under the whole hogs. I’m thinking something like this photo.

Do you guys think this would work as well as I think?

It would eventually be trailered and look like this

— EDIT : I somehow hosed this original post up when trying to reply to a comment below. I tried to cobble it together. —

BritishRacingGreen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 20, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

Cured and smoked salmon this weekend. Did a dry cure overnight with a half cup salt, half cup white and brown sugar mix, wrapped in tinfoil and weighted down with a dish. Rinsed and patted dry, then dried with a fan for an hour to form pelicle. Applied a brown sugar, smoked paprika, black and cayenne pepper rub and threw it in the smoker for 4.5 hours at 160 degrees until the internal temp reached 150. Was a huge hit at work, but smoke flavor was a little muted since the chips didn't combust (just turned black instead of going to ash). Used pecan chips but next time might use apple.

Why do you think the chips didn't combust? Were the coals not hot enough?

BritishRacingGreen posted:

By the way, have you ever thought of modifying your PBC? I was getting a little tired of not being able to make more than one grate-full of wings, so this weekend I drilled 9 holes into my barrel, and added three more racks. I smoked 18 pounds of wings, the first batch had 12 pounds spread through the 4 racks. The wings turned out PHENOMENAL, and a few friends stopped by and bought some.

Tell me more about this. I have a PBC and I LOVE cookings wings on it.

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 20, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: Nevermind I’ll save this post for when I need it so I don’t get poo poo on some more.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 20, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Oh good, you're still alive. I assumed you started to use your pink salt as a normal table/kosher salt substitute and killed yourself and your whole family.

Good luck with the bacon.

why is this bad? asking for a friend/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

atothesquiz posted:

No but I’ll keep this in mind when I can’t go back to school come August and need suicide ideas.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Gitmo, just cook and post pictures. Accept comments/suggestions/criticism. Don’t be a goober. And don’t kill you are self

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Tell me more about this. I have a PBC and I LOVE cookings wings on it.

So I bought three Weber grates off of amazon and a bag of 1/4inch thick and 1.5 inch long bolts with matching nuts. I used a step drill and drilled the first 3 holes for the lowest grate right under the lowest ring on the PBC. Then two grates went into the space between the lowest and second ring in the PBC, and the grate holders that come with the PBC are above the second ring. Essentially I put one grate right above the basket, which you can put a pan on to diffuse heat or catch drippings on. This also allows you to play with indirect cooking in a PBC which wouldn’t otherwise be possible.
I was able to smoke 12 pounds of chicken wings at one time on the four grates, and that’s without crowding any of the grates.

BritishRacingGreen fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2018

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RisqueBarber posted:

Why do you think the chips didn't combust? Were the coals not hot enough?

I used an electric smoker, element likely didn't get hot enough given the set temp of 160. The fish was still very flavorful, but using a cold smoker or pellets might work better next time.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

No but I’ll keep this in mind when I can’t go back to school come August and need suicide ideas.

Dude, this thread is about helping people with smoking meat and you're just not listening. I'm a sucidal depressive like you but you're taking the wrong side of this. Everyone here is posting about how to do poo poo and you just look at the troll posts and go "im a worthless cook".

Take what the non-trolls are telling you. There's a shitload of good information here but you're looking past it because you keep taking the bait.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 20, 2018

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

you keep taking the bait.

You know, as more time goes by I really am beginning to think this must be a really long term troll he’s accomplishing here and that we are the ones taking the bait.
Thinking logically here - how does he live with his parents in a way where they limit his purchases (I’m assuming younger than 18 for that to be the case), yet he’s had an account since 2005, which would be when he turned 5 if he was 18 this year?

Expert troll or unfortunately dim, you decide.

In other news, throwing those smoked wings in the microwave for 1 minute then under the broiler for a few more results in a juicy and super crispy wing. Reminds me of how we used to smoke, chill, then deep fry wings at the BBQ restaurant I worked at. I need to try that sometime soon at home.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

So I bought three Weber grates off of amazon and a bag of 1/4inch thick and 1.5 inch long bolts with matching nuts. I used a step drill and drilled the first 3 holes for the lowest grate right under the lowest ring on the PBC. Then two grates went into the space between the lowest and second ring in the PBC, and the grate holders that come with the PBC are above the second ring. Essentially I put one grate right above the basket, which you can put a pan on to diffuse heat or catch drippings on. This also allows you to play with indirect cooking in a PBC which wouldn’t otherwise be possible.
I was able to smoke 12 pounds of chicken wings at one time on the four grates, and that’s without crowding any of the grates.

This sounds great. This will also allow me to spatchcock a turkey for thanksgiving and put a drip pan under it. With just the default grate, both the bird and the pan don't fit. Now it can drip and I can finally make the gravy that I've wanted to.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

DiggityDoink posted:

Dude, this thread is about helping people with smoking meat and you're just not listening. I'm a sucidal depressive like you but you're taking the wrong side of this. Everyone here is posting about how to do poo poo and you just look at the troll posts and go "im a worthless cook".

Take what the non-trolls are telling you. There's a shitload of good information here but you're looking past it because you keep taking the bait.

If you look back at my post history in this thread, you'll see I've given him plenty of excellent advice and honest feedback. However it's at a point where the person you're trying to help continues to push the wrong direction in the face of everyone else telling him to do otherwise.

I'll restate my original advice. Gitmo, slow the gently caress down. Make some less "glamorous" meats like pork butts and hone the craft that way. You're not Steven Raichlen; dont strive to be Steven Raichlen. He puts so much stupid poo poo on his over complicated meats because it makes for good TV, not good eats.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well gently caress. Anybody know how to fix an Error 502 on Imgur? I’m trying to upload some pics but Imgur is taking a poo poo and not uploading a single one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's a problem on their end. Just wait it out.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

Well gently caress. Anybody know how to fix an Error 502 on Imgur? I’m trying to upload some pics but Imgur is taking a poo poo and not uploading a single one.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tater_salad posted:

About 1tsp of it will kill ya if ingested directly.

Speaking of pink salt, my home made corned beef turned out great.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What do your folks say about the issue?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

About 1tsp of it will kill ya if ingested directly.

Speaking of pink salt, my home made corned beef turned out great.

From Ruhlman's website:

"—You do need to handle it with care because it’s toxic if you ingest it directly. It’s colored pink to prevent accidental ingestion. Keep it out of kids’ reach. According to this link on Oxford University’s site, the exact toxicity is 71 milligrams per kilogram. I weigh nearly 100 kilograms. That means if I ate 7.1 grams, it could kill me (by binding the oxygen carried by my blood to the hemoglobin, making that oxygen unavailable to my cells). That’s about a teaspoon. If you’re a petite 110 pounds, 1/2 teaspoon would be toxic. This article on its toxicity suggest an even lower amount is harmful. Bottom line: Don’t be afraid of it, but keep it well identified, and use it only as a recipe calls for."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

atothesquiz posted:

From Ruhlman's website:

"—You do need to handle it with care because it’s toxic if you ingest it directly. It’s colored pink to prevent accidental ingestion. Keep it out of kids’ reach. According to this link on Oxford University’s site, the exact toxicity is 71 milligrams per kilogram. I weigh nearly 100 kilograms. That means if I ate 7.1 grams, it could kill me (by binding the oxygen carried by my blood to the hemoglobin, making that oxygen unavailable to my cells). That’s about a teaspoon. If you’re a petite 110 pounds, 1/2 teaspoon would be toxic. This article on its toxicity suggest an even lower amount is harmful. Bottom line: Don’t be afraid of it, but keep it well identified, and use it only as a recipe calls for."

I believe that's the lethal dose of sodium nitrite. Pink salt is 6.25% sodium nitrite, which is about 1/16, so you'd need to eat 16 times that in pink salt to die. At which point the sodium chloride would probably do you in.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

only half of ya'll would die anyway after a tsp

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I come bearing pics!

So last time I mentioned that I was having problems with the smoke being white. I took a whole bunch of photos of my setup process to see if we can figure out what’s going on so I can fix it in the future. I’ll post more pictures of the chuck roast in a separate post.

Here’s what the inside of the Egg looked like BEFORE I added any fresh coals. This was after I emptied some ash out of the bottom.

Shot of the DigiQ adapter after I removed the ash.

Y’all have been telling me to practice smoking without the DigiQ, and to be honest I’m a little mad at myself for not doing that this time because it would’ve been a perfect opportunity to do that. So, I wanna say sorry I didn’t do that; I probably won’t use the DigiQ on my next couple smokes.

Before this smoke, I had a hypothesis that the white smoke might be coming from the DigiQ blower being in since it created less airflow from the outside at the bottom. Today I didn’t put the blower in the adapter hole until about 5 minutes after I finished setting up the fire, and I still saw white smoke, so that theory is shot down for now.

After I added about 3/4 of a chimney-full of fresh coals (I use the chimney as a measuring/dumping device only; I DO NOT LIGHT THE COALS IN THE CHIMNEY FOR THIS GRILL I’M NOT THAT STUPID).

I think it was a little too much coal but it shouldn’t have affected the smoke.

After lighting the coals. I just stuck the lighter in the center and lit it in one place.

Here’s after I added the wood.

Here’s where the vent was throughout the cook.

Another shot of the blower after I put it in.

Again, I’m probably gonna do my next couple of cooks without the blower and I was an idiot for not doing it this time. Sorry, please don’t lay into me too much.

A pic of the smoke when I went to put in the roast, about 40 minutes after I lit the fire. Note that I forgot to put in the drip pan before now. :downs:

At this point, there was a considerable amount of thick white smoke.

After this, I didn’t check on the grill for two hours... in retrospect, this was dumb and I should’ve checked it sooner than that, but it was early and I was sleepy. When I went back outside, there was a lot less smoke and what was there looked bluer. I would’ve taken a photo of this but I thought the smoke was too hard to see to show up in a pic.

I’m not sure what happened during that two hours. I should’ve gone outside a few more times to monitor the progress of the smoke and I feel stupid for not doing that, but I didn’t know it would deplete so much. Lesson learned. Near as I can tell, the fainter smoke lasted until about 4 or 5 hours into the cook. I think I need to figure out how to make the smoke last longer in the future; last time I smoked something the cook lasted an hour and a half, and the smoke was thick and copious the whole time, so I don’t know how normal this is.

Apart from this, everything went okay. The cook lasted 6 hours (recipe said it would take 8 hours so this seems about right) and the temperature stayed between 225° and 245° from start to finish. I’ll talk more about that in the next post.

So, it seems I’ve got two problems: white smoke, and lack of smoke. Please tell me how much of this is normal and help me fix the rest.

Bonus kitties.

We have a colony of about 15+ feral cats living in our backyard. I don’t know if it’s obvious in the pic, but the siamese-looking one is extremely pregnant with at least her fourth litter of kittens. :3:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That is way too much wood holy poo poo :laffo:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bottom Liner posted:

That is way too much wood holy poo poo :laffo:

I didn’t know how long the wood was gonna last, and I can’t add more wood later on this type of smoker, so I used a bunch of it.

Cut me some slack here guys. I’m still learning how to use this thing and I’m having to unlearn a lot of poo poo in the process.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

I didn’t know how long the wood was gonna last, and I can’t add more wood later on this type of smoker, so I used a bunch of it.

Cut me some slack here guys. I’m still learning how to use this thing and I’m having to unlearn a lot of poo poo in the process.

Have you ever considered spending some quality time researching how to properly use the smoker?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Instead of piling on, which is hard to resist...

You don't need the wood to last through the entire smoke, all the wood flavor gets imparted at the beginning anyway. For a giant smoker like you have, 3 of those big chunks is probably more than you need, but not enough to give a bad result.

The white smoke is probably caused by the wood, too. Once the wood fully lights, the smoke usually turns clear. In my experience white smoke isn't a big deal, as long as flecks of white ash aren't flying up and settling on your meat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Have you ever considered spending some quality time researching how to properly use the smoker?

Have you ever considered not being a giant snarky rear end in a top hat bitch?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I agree with BRG.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTWOuyNf_Y&t=87s

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay pink curing salt and Himalayan are different I assumed my ex was trying to kill my kids post haste kuz she uses that poo poo on the regular (Himalayan)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Have you ever considered not being a giant snarky rear end in a top hat bitch?

No because they asked a valid question. In nearly anything you'll read you'll find that they say like 1-3 chunks.. not half a bag.

Same with charcoal and vents, did you read anything on how much to use in your egg on a smoking forum or egg forum or did you just go "hmm half a bag sounds good" while I try and set my gasket or smoke something

Maybe an electronic smoker is more your speed. It's cheaper and easier to control and has a lower learning curve, then you can work out how to smoke stuff and what temps and cures and rubs and stuff works well then you can graduate to the green egg.

This isn't a pile on post..

Go read for hours online of people who successfully smoked and ask questions go buy a book there are probably 20 "how to use the big green egg" e-books.

You've got a very limited skill level on the basics of how to smoke with your nice smoker.. so grow those skills with knowledge

Edit: double post so shoot me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tater_salad posted:

No because they asked a valid question.

... well based on his other posts I thought he was being snarky.

But you’re right, there’s lots of online resources for the Egg that I should check. At the very least there’s a bunch of YouTube videos I can watch before my next cook. Until today I didn’t think I needed to do that, but now I know better.

Next thing I smoke will be a chicken in a couple of days. Chickens are easy to do and hard to gently caress up, right?

tater_salad posted:

Maybe an electronic smoker is more your speed. It's cheaper and easier to control and has a lower learning curve, then you can work out how to smoke stuff and what temps and cures and rubs and stuff works well then you can graduate to the green egg.

I actually have an electric smoker, but it’s in a storage unit 240 miles away right now. Although I mainly bought that because I was living in an apartment at the time and couldn’t get a charcoal smoker.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've never done a while chicken successfully but I only tried once super Early on. Legs and thighs are super loving quick and easy..

Know what else is hard to gently caress up and cheap as all getout.... Pork shoulder.. but it's a decently long smoke. (90min/lb)

Also snark in my dead gay cuck of a forum... I'd never.