Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Toxic post

I'm not sure I can handle how good this all is
I'm basically seething with envy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I hope the tau jets aren’t total dogshit like they were before

The bomber is good, the other not so much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sulecrist posted:

It’s a transfer :v:

I don't care how you did it, it looks rad as gently caress :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Sulecrist posted:

It’s a transfer :v:

How?

Also, finished up the backpack. What's left to do:
1. Wash bones (i need to get a shade)
2. Do glowing plasma coil
3. Yellow-Green leaks out of armor holes
4. Cleanup?

https://imgur.com/a/RNAsY

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 21, 2018

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Sons-of-Horus-Transfer-Sheet

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Same as most waterslides, I imagine. It's like a really thin sticker that has no chance of peeling off once it's applied and set.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't care how you did it, it looks rad as gently caress :)

Thanks man!

Goodness: cut it out carefully, dunk it in water for fifteen seconds, put it on a damp paper towel, dribble some water on it, brush Micro Set onto the (varnished) surface, use tweezers and a clean brush to push the transfer on, push it into place with a brush, put a bit more Micro Set on, gently press it with a small piece of damp paper towel to push out the bubbles, let it sit five minutes, cover the edges with Micro Sol, wait half an hour, repeat as needed if the edges are really rough, seal with Dullcote spray after it’s had at least a few hours to cure.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

At seven points each, I think Fire Warriors might be the most efficient thing in the Tau codex. Going to take this thing to game night tonight:

Trip report: tabled my brother's Terminator-heavy Dark Angels list at the top of turn 2. It was disgusting. I shot nearly 700 points off the board turn 1, killed a total of five Terminators in Overwatch whereupon only two between three different charges made it into combat. Turn 2 I killed an entire other squad of Terminators with the Riptide's HBC, and by then my infantry were in rapid fire range. Turns out, 150 pulse rifle shots will kill most infantry units. Azrael and Belial lived until last, upon which the full might of three Pathfinder teams, two Broadsides, and a Ghostkeel crashed down upon them like the fist of an angry god.

I have a good feeling about taking it to a tournament, but it's not coming to a friendly game anytime soon.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Strobe posted:

Trip report: tabled my brother's Terminator-heavy Dark Angels list at the top of turn 2. It was disgusting. I shot nearly 700 points off the board turn 1, killed a total of five Terminators in Overwatch whereupon only two between three different charges made it into combat. Turn 2 I killed an entire other squad of Terminators with the Riptide's HBC, and by then my infantry were in rapid fire range. Turns out, 150 pulse rifle shots will kill most infantry units. Azrael and Belial lived until last, upon which the full might of three Pathfinder teams, two Broadsides, and a Ghostkeel crashed down upon them like the fist of an angry god.

I have a good feeling about taking it to a tournament, but it's not coming to a friendly game anytime soon.

Dude in my local scene ran Dark Angels and effortlessly tabled a friend of his--Tau are back if they can manage that against the Super Secret Marines. Said friend remarked that the game was so one-sided he's locked away his DAs for this edition.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Dude in my local scene ran Dark Angels and effortlessly tabled a friend of his--Tau are back if they can manage that against the Super Secret Marines. Said friend remarked that the game was so one-sided he's locked away his DAs for this edition.

There are some caveats: he was running like 15 Terminators, and my list is packed with multi-damage weapons. He brought two of the DA speeders (a Dark Shroud and a Vengeance) and I blew the gently caress out of both of them in the first couple units shooting. After that he had nothing higher than T4, and it was only a matter of time with my number of shots before everything fell apart.

I think it'll run into some more difficulty against armor-heavy lists, but goddamn it blendered heavy infantry.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Finished my poo poo for Adepticon! Including my Repulsor!

I'll do pictures after the con. I can't believe I got through all this poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my poo poo for Adepticon! Including my Repulsor!

I'll do pictures after the con. I can't believe I got through all this poo poo.

Congratulations!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Strobe posted:

There are some caveats: he was running like 15 Terminators, and my list is packed with multi-damage weapons. He brought two of the DA speeders (a Dark Shroud and a Vengeance) and I blew the gently caress out of both of them in the first couple units shooting. After that he had nothing higher than T4, and it was only a matter of time with my number of shots before everything fell apart.

I think it'll run into some more difficulty against armor-heavy lists, but goddamn it blendered heavy infantry.

To be fair, hasn't this been the case for Tau even pre-codex? They're pretty good at mulching lists with a handful of high-value targets that cant afford to burn EWO's with suicide units.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Hello Everyone!

So, I have made a terrible mistake decided to come back to the Grimdark, and went on an Admech binge. I have many evenings of gluing my fingers together and cramping hands ahead, and as far as the Meta goes, I need to come up with a list.

- 2 Start collecting Boxes
- 2 additional Skitarii squads
- 1 additional Onager Dunecrawler

And I have also preordered the forgebane box. Been eyeing a knight, and Cawl as well.

The problem is this: I have not played since 5th edition, and I have missed a hell of a lot. Can someone give me a cliffs notes of what changed and a decent list while I pour over the 700 pages of this thread?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MrDesaude posted:

Hello Everyone!

So, I have made a terrible mistake decided to come back to the Grimdark, and went on an Admech binge. I have many evenings of gluing my fingers together and cramping hands ahead, and as far as the Meta goes, I need to come up with a list.

And I have also preordered the forgebane box. Been eyeing a knight, and Cawl as well.

The problem is this: I have not played since 5th edition, and I have missed a hell of a lot. Can someone give me a cliffs notes of what changed and a decent list while I pour over the 700 pages of this thread?

Weapon types changed significantly: Heavy weapons are now -1 to hit if you moved, Rapid Fire weapons get double shots at half range and closer, Assault weapons can shoot even after advancing (replaced running; now happens in the movement phase not the shooting phase), Pistols can be fired while engaged in melee.

Armor facings are gone, vehicles now have Toughness and Wounds and take damage like everything else. High wound (10+) models now degrade and lose effectiveness with increasing damage taken. Many weapons do multiple damage now. If this damage is random (d3, d6), it's determined after armor/invulnerable saves.

AP changed significantly, and is now a modifier to the unit's armor save. For example, a Lascannon has AP-3, which reduces an armor save by 3. A Lascannon that hits a Space Marine reduces its save to 6+ instead of 3+. Most basic troop weapons got AP-0 instead of AP5 like previous editions. This means 5+ and 6+ armor saves are no longer completely loving useless against the vast majority of weapons.

All units have a Movement stat now, there's no generic standard movement speed for a given type of unit.

You can Fall Back out of melee combat if you have room to get away from your attackers, but if you do you can't shoot (unless you have Fly or a special rule) or charge (unless you have a special rule)

Instant Death is gone, FNP style rolls are now per wound lost and not per save failed.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Strobe posted:

Weapon types changed significantly: Heavy weapons are now -1 to hit if you moved, Rapid Fire weapons get double shots at half range and closer, Assault weapons can shoot even after advancing (replaced running; now happens in the movement phase not the shooting phase), Pistols can be fired while engaged in melee.

Armor facings are gone, vehicles now have Toughness and Wounds and take damage like everything else. High wound (10+) models now degrade and lose effectiveness with increasing damage taken. Many weapons do multiple damage now. If this damage is random (d3, d6), it's determined after armor/invulnerable saves.

AP changed significantly, and is now a modifier to the unit's armor save. For example, a Lascannon has AP-3, which reduces an armor save by 3. A Lascannon that hits a Space Marine reduces its save to 6+ instead of 3+. Most basic troop weapons got AP-0 instead of AP5 like previous editions. This means 5+ and 6+ armor saves are no longer completely loving useless against the vast majority of weapons.

All units have a Movement stat now, there's no generic standard movement speed for a given type of unit.

You can Fall Back out of melee combat if you have room to get away from your attackers, but if you do you can't shoot (unless you have Fly or a special rule) or charge (unless you have a special rule)

Instant Death is gone, FNP style rolls are now per wound lost and not per save failed.

Ok, so this is far simpler than the previous rules. Unfortunately it is probably going to break my brain when I try to play again. Good thing I have a while to watch other games while I am assembling my army.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MrDesaude posted:

Ok, so this is far simpler than the previous rules. Unfortunately it is probably going to break my brain when I try to play again. Good thing I have a while to watch other games while I am assembling my army.

Oh, and the really big one: You're not locked into charging what you shot at, and you can shoot any and all of your weapons and still charge (if you didn't Advance/Fall Back). Models can fire all of their Heavy/Assault/Rapid Fire weapons or all of their Pistols or one Grenade (and a limit of one grenade per unit).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrDesaude posted:

The only way to get it is to play. Find friends. Play games with friends. Focus on your core units and don't worry about it too much.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Ok, so I took one picture

My work has already shut down in anticipation of tomorrow's snow. My girlfriend's school has also already shut down.

Will I be able to fly in a plane from DC to Chicago? Stay tuned to find out!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Could someone help me identify the source of the missile here? The post I got it from is from like 2007 so I probably can't go back and ask.

The weird thing is that the rocket itself looks sort of 40kish with the panels and RIVETS?

It could be scratchbuild I guess?

:shrug:

E: Im the Word 97 book.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 21, 2018

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm looking forward to hearing the story about how United made you put your plastic dollies in an overhead bin and hilarity ensued.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

goodness posted:

How?

Also, finished up the backpack. What's left to do:
1. Wash bones (i need to get a shade)
2. Do glowing plasma coil
3. Yellow-Green leaks out of armor holes
4. Cleanup?

https://imgur.com/a/RNAsY

Do that spiky crown halo thing in your bronze metallic colour; the head is the focus of the model and right now it's blending into the armour too much.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Most of that rocket is lego with some rivets and extras added on. It certainly does the job. To spot it, first look at the topmost part of the rocket - that is a smaller lego finned section and it is slotted onto the main tube. Then, if you look at the mounting system, it has technic style slots on the side of each part of the support bars.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xutech posted:

Most of that rocket is lego with some rivets and extras added on. It certainly does the job. To spot it, first look at the topmost part of the rocket - that is a smaller lego finned section and it is slotted onto the main tube. Then, if you look at the mounting system, it has technic style slots on the side of each part of the support bars.

Goddamn, that is some Fed-Ex arrow poo poo. Now I can't not see it.

:cheers:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Ah yes, the most coveted of the Omnissiah's secrets, the LEGO STC

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Sex Cannon posted:

Ok, so I took one picture

My work has already shut down in anticipation of tomorrow's snow. My girlfriend's school has also already shut down.

I think this could use more highlighting

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Corrode posted:

Can one man's rage propel a 737 in a snow storm? Stay tuned to this thread to find out.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Corrode posted:

16-18 hours more highlighting to be exact.

(Seriously your tank looks sweet)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MrDesaude posted:

Hello Everyone!

For what it's worth, the core rules that cover most of the game are free online:
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/40k/warhammer_40000_en.pdf

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

What are the best non-book numbered Horus Heresy stories?

I’m driving halfway across the country this weekend, figure I’ll get a couple audiobooks for the trip however I prefer keeping the ones in series for reading.

I’m on Vengeful Spirit (#29) right now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So with Tauroxes Prime the right way to go is Gatling/Volley at low points (where there's less armor) and Cannon/Volley at higher points (where there's harder stuff), right?

Start them empty and then go drive up to the deep-struck Scions to pick up whatever survives and use them to contest/take objectives?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

So with Tauroxes Prime the right way to go is Gatling/Volley at low points (where there's less armor) and Cannon/Volley at higher points (where there's harder stuff), right?

Start them empty and then go drive up to the deep-struck Scions to pick up whatever survives and use them to contest/take objectives?

The two good Taurox builds have fundamentally different roles. Gatling/volley is for clearing out hordes of infantry. Alternatively take missile launcher/autocannon for targeting light vehicles. Neither replaces the other.

Driving them around wastes their BS3+ a little, but they're very fast so they do have a place as objective-grabbers with or without Scions riding in them. I used two a while ago to clear out my opponent's infantry, then they spent the rest of the game playing bumper cars with a Punisher Russ to stop it firing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

The two good Taurox builds have fundamentally different roles. Gatling/volley is for clearing out hordes of infantry. Alternatively take missile launcher/autocannon for targeting light vehicles. Neither replaces the other.

Driving them around wastes their BS3+ a little, but they're very fast so they do have a place as objective-grabbers with or without Scions riding in them. I used two a while ago to clear out my opponent's infantry, then they spent the rest of the game playing bumper cars with a Punisher Russ to stop it firing.

Is the Rocket Launcher (please don't use the m-word :ohdear:) really worth 50 points (and 22 over the Battle Cannon), I mean, I don't doubt your experience but the general line I hear about the rocket launcher is that you're paying for versatility which is only occasionally worth it?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

Is the Rocket Launcher (please don't use the m-word :ohdear:) really worth 50 points (and 22 over the Battle Cannon), I mean, I don't doubt your experience but the general line I hear about the rocket launcher is that you're paying for versatility which is only occasionally worth it?

I can't remember the stats on them but iirc the Taurox battle cannon is not very good compared to two krak MISSiles :v: I've only used gatling/volley ones personally, but what I've seen from others using them is rocket and autocans rather than the battle cannon. Someone else might weigh in on this since there's every chance I'm misremembering.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I've been mulling over a general semi-casual small list using the new Tau Codex, can I get some criticism on this?

code:
Battalion - Sa'cea Sept
-----------------------
HQ
    Cadre Fireblade - 42pts 
        Markerlight

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit - 161pts
        3x Fusion blaster, Shield Generator
	Warlord
        	Exemplar of the Mont'ka
		Puretide Engram Neurochip

Troops
    Strike Team - 38pts 
        Shas'ui w/ Markerlight
        4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team - 38pts
        Shas'ui w/ Markerlight

Strike Team - 38pts
        Shas'ui w/ Markerlight

Fast Attack
    Pathfinder Team - 64pts
        5x Pathfinder w/ Markerlight
        2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle

Vanguard - ? Sept
-----------------
HQ
    Ethereal - 45pts
        Honour blade

Elites
    XV104 Riptide Battlesuit - 284pts
        2x Plasma rifle, Ion accelerator, Target lock

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits - 120pts
        2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system
        Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit - 169pts
        2x Burst cannon
        Cyclic ion raker
        2x MV5 Stealth Drone
        Target lock

Total: 999pts, with 7 CP
The general game plan is to go hard in on Markerlights with the Fireblade (hits on 2+ with the free Sa'cea Sept reroll and using Uplinked Markerlight for D3 + 1), plus the AoE Sa'cea markerlight stratagem and a unit of 5 Pathfinders. Then I have a Markerlight in each Strike Team if I need them for extras so I can get an extra few shots otherwise. I'm actually second guessing my choice of Sa'cea here, but I feel like having some really reliable markers on most units will let me get to +1 to hit early in most of my shooting phases.

Stealth Suits and Ghostkeel are mainly for holding objectives and being hard to kill. I've got Pathfinder Ion Rifles and the Ghostkeel's CIR for multi-wound infantry, and the Ion Riptide and Fusion Coldstar for anything heavier. Light infantry is a breeze for Tau anyway.

Stuff I'm not sure about
Is Sa'cea + Strike Team markers actually worth it?
What Sept should the Vanguard be? I can't see any that really benefit Riptides or Stealth Suits that much.
Are the few D3 damage guns I have reliable enough to put down heavy infantry?

EDIT: Holy :effort: post.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here have a spare Necron half of Forgebane they want to ship to Canada, for money?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Also Wraiths are going to be nasty again:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/21/preview-the-novokh-dynasty-flayed-ones-and-canoptek-wraithsgw-homepage-post-2/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

goodness posted:

Has anyone used a painting service? My brother wants to get the Standard Bearer for his Imperial Fists painted super high quality close to this

It'll take a little work to get the sizing right, but you can buy blank water transfer sheets on Amazon. Would let you transfer that image directly onto the standard.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I never thought about Necrons as a melee army, but that looks great. My dream is still to have an undying horde of Warriors though.

How are Necrons to build? I heard they've got some really difficult models, especially the Obelisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ugh... I don’t want to be “that guy” but goddamn if a Novohk Outrider Detachment of a Cryptek in cloak, giant unit of Wraiths and two units of Scarabs isn’t tempting to tack onto a Memphrit shooting Battalion.

LifeLynx posted:

I never thought about Necrons as a melee army, but that looks great. My dream is still to have an undying horde of Warriors though.

How are Necrons to build? I heard they've got some really difficult models, especially the Obelisk.

Infantry is fine, though the Warrior kit is hella old at this point and shows its age. Vehicle wise, there’s a couple that are generally simple to put together (Barge, Scythe). The Monolith kit is kinda bad/bland and needs a redo, as it’s as old as Warriors are.

Then... then there’s the Arks. I built two... never again.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 21, 2018