Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I almost feel bad for engaging in internet helldumps, but if you want to get an impression of his political views apparently Mark Zuckerberg is A-OK as his president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

He'll give pat standard "oh this might be bad" statements about the mega monopolies that run our economy, but still persists in believing the same fundamental falsehood that all libertarians actually believe. He thinks that capitalism rewards talent and is fundamentally a meritocracy. Every single time he will end up blaming "backwards" or "unevolved" people instead of the system itself. Hence his amazingly dumb "thinkers" vs "believers" videos from back in his pre-Escapist days.

Alright, fair enough. I'm not disagreeing that Bob believes in some stupid poo poo, politically. I just peeked at his Twitter feed and found this:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/975246691103363072

So any further argument on my part just feels like nitpicking to me. I might drop him in the future. I dunno.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That last tweet doesn’t make any sense.

How can technology make classes irrelevant

Is he also okay with classes until we get there

Many questions

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What Chapman wants is the Soylent of government - a futurist, data-driven slurry that means he can stop thinking about where his food is coming from.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CharlestheHammer posted:

How can technology make classes irrelevant
Fully automated luxury communism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sorry but mister bob will have you know communism doesn't work. It must be some sort of vague tech company futurism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghostlight posted:

Fully automated luxury communism.

So lazy he needs robots for the revolution SMH.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bob wants The Revolution but without the tearing down of privileged positions, redistribution of wealth, and social upheaval that entails. Instead he wants it based on some vague notion of rationalism and 'merit', disregarding that merit generally comes from a privileged position.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I for one am shocked that a white dude from Massachusetts has some weird hangups about class and privilege

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 20, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

it's both, though one does deserve it

I just hate how much of an echo chamber this thread likes to become when these toxic people pop up in discussion, like everybody in the thread needs to chime in with how they think they're poo poo, too. And then somebody will come by either defending them or themselves for liking their content and suddenly it's a complete shitshow for the next two or three pages.

Wrong. This thread is always friendly and respectful.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Augus posted:

I googled the guy they're talking about and one of the first results was an interview about "Crazy feminists, SJWs, and rape culture hysteria!"
so,
that uh,
kinda raised an eyebrow,
right away,
immediately,
from a cursory glance.

not exactly digging all that deep here now am I

No googles, Bing only, Creeper Destination.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

when he gets into the part about the "plot holes" and the cannon and shi t I rolled my eyes out of my skull

he's the absolutely worst kind of pedant and I unsubbed; between this one and his botw one I now know he just just not play games in a way I think is compatible with like...fun?

This is from a bit ago, but hey.

I think my thing with Joseph Anderson is that... I get it. If I really sit down and try to think critically about games I think my brain works a little bit like his does. I had some of the same complaints about Breath of the Wild that he did, for example, especially about the combat balance. I've posted far too many words on these very forums to that effect.

The difference is that he doesn't seem to be able to apply any nuance or context to it. His Breath of the Wild video wasn't the one that made me want to stop watching his stuff. Instead, it was his Mario Odyssey video. He had one very specific idea of what the way he had to play the game was--to find every moon in a single playthrough with no guidance--and when the game didn't really conform to that, he blamed the game and not his own approach to it. And to a certain degree, I think he has some valid complaints. But his thing about being annoyed at finding an obscure hidden moon just seemed completely nuts to me. He finds a hat person hiding on an NPC's head and gets a moon for it, and his reaction isn't, "Oh that's cool, I wonder if there are more of those," but instead, "Oh god drat it now I have to look at every single hat painstakingly across all the worlds!"

Just take a step back, my dude. Think for a second. Think about how many moons are "required" to access all the bonus levels versus how many exist in the game. You can miss over 40% of them and still get to the Darker Side. There are tons of moons hidden everywhere specifically so that a player can miss almost half of the moons in the entire game and still see all its main content. And because of that, it means that if there are certain types of moons you really just don't want to engage with--maybe you hate searching for hidden hat people, or maybe you just really suck at the timer challenges--you're safe to completely ignore them, and the game won't punish you for it. That's why it's designed like that.

But he just never really allows for that possibility and instead spent an hour exhaustively cataloging the game's slights against him. It's just not a useful or enlightening critical approach.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bob wants The Revolution but without the tearing down of privileged positions, redistribution of wealth, and social upheaval that entails. Instead he wants it based on some vague notion of rationalism and 'merit', disregarding that merit generally comes from a privileged position.

Ah, so the Reign of Terror without the storming of the Bastille.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

But his thing about being annoyed at finding an obscure hidden moon just seemed completely nuts to me. He finds a hat person hiding on an NPC's head and gets a moon for it, and his reaction isn't, "Oh that's cool, I wonder if there are more of those," but instead, "Oh god drat it now I have to look at every single hat painstakingly across all the worlds!"

lol those aren't even obscure, every level that has them has a hat person near the ship that goes "my <x> friends wandered off and are now hiding on people's heads"

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

New Sean In The Wild! Japanese snacks with Filthy Fr...Pink Gu...Papa...um, Joji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYO4XkjSjw

It's weird to see him in a convenience store not rolling around and screaming while dressed as a sperm but he's mega chill now. And dammit his music is good too. Talented fucker.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CelticPredator posted:

Spill was my first love too. Then I discovered their podcasts and that’s what got me into those. Tbh as much as I love Double Toasted I don’t care for their film stuff. It’s not even that I agree or disagree it’s just not for me any more really. Half in the Bag is losing me too. I think I’m just tired of opinions in general and would rather read a think piece or something.

Love the shows though. What Up Son is pro tier thanks to Danielle’s crazy rear end.
I was a big Spill fan till the day it died. I'm still kind of bummed because I miss the Let's Do This podcast, Co-Host kind of disappeared off the internet when Spill died too which is a bummer.

Anyway I started with one day watching AVGN which then led to his fight with the NC and then getting into TGWTG/CA and Spoony which then led me to Lordkat's stream and then eventually breaking off into here and watching RLM and the whatever good stuff Ex CA people post.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

This is from a bit ago, but hey.

I think my thing with Joseph Anderson is that... I get it. If I really sit down and try to think critically about games I think my brain works a little bit like his does. I had some of the same complaints about Breath of the Wild that he did, for example, especially about the combat balance. I've posted far too many words on these very forums to that effect.

The difference is that he doesn't seem to be able to apply any nuance or context to it. His Breath of the Wild video wasn't the one that made me want to stop watching his stuff. Instead, it was his Mario Odyssey video. He had one very specific idea of what the way he had to play the game was--to find every moon in a single playthrough with no guidance--and when the game didn't really conform to that, he blamed the game and not his own approach to it. And to a certain degree, I think he has some valid complaints. But his thing about being annoyed at finding an obscure hidden moon just seemed completely nuts to me. He finds a hat person hiding on an NPC's head and gets a moon for it, and his reaction isn't, "Oh that's cool, I wonder if there are more of those," but instead, "Oh god drat it now I have to look at every single hat painstakingly across all the worlds!"

Just take a step back, my dude. Think for a second. Think about how many moons are "required" to access all the bonus levels versus how many exist in the game. You can miss over 40% of them and still get to the Darker Side. There are tons of moons hidden everywhere specifically so that a player can miss almost half of the moons in the entire game and still see all its main content. And because of that, it means that if there are certain types of moons you really just don't want to engage with--maybe you hate searching for hidden hat people, or maybe you just really suck at the timer challenges--you're safe to completely ignore them, and the game won't punish you for it. That's why it's designed like that.

But he just never really allows for that possibility and instead spent an hour exhaustively cataloging the game's slights against him. It's just not a useful or enlightening critical approach.

Totally--this same thing bugs me about him. I wonder if in his personal life he's a sort of "value driven" consumer. Someone who gets miffed about things like portion sizes at restaurants and constantly being vigilant about deals.

Nothing against that kind of thing, but it just seems like he approaches games from a place of: "I paid for this and in order to justify the expense I need to FULLY complete it"

Completionism as a philosophy towards games is one of the things that leads to this sort of thing, I think.

I've been playing Celeste lately and am absolutely loving it, despite the fact that a lot of the Strawberries and all of the Tapes I've encountered so far have been essentially impossible for me at my skill level. I don't think I'm "missing out" or that I need to grind to get those, so it's not affecting my overall opinion of the game. But I could see this dude spending 20 minutes about how he didn't like Celeste because he felt like he had to get them.

At which point I'm like, my dude, there's no greater power like, tracking any of that poo poo; if something's not fun, don't do it. In the end, it's just a drat game

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
TBH, you could probably get most of the strawberries if you bothered. They're designed specifically so you're gonna die a billion times until you get it down perfectly. I think a lot of people take that as "I'm not good enough yet", but it's part of the super meat boy-y fast respawn design of the game. I think I died like 500 times on the B-side of the first level. Game is just meant to be something it takes bashing your head against a rock to overcome. That said, don't go for them if you don't want to do that (you'll probably die far more times in like, level 5 or 6 than you will getting all the level 1 or 2 strawberries though).

E: This was meant to be encouraging, you know your skill level and such better than I do, etc.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been watching Night Mind and this stuff is so up my alley. There's something about horror like Unedited Footage of a Bear, This House Has People Living In It, and Marble Hornets that gets me scared in ways that even the most acclaimed horror films like the Shining and the Thing can't (even if I still like those things).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't like the youtube series genre outside of Alan Resnick and a few others, but I kind of like getting an intelligent perspective from someone who has an uncontrollable obsession with it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Night Mind's greatest issue is still that he has kind of low standards and gets really, really drat excited when a horror video has the most basic, easy to read metaphor and treats it like a revelation. I mean, it's kind of charming and I dig him, but sometimes I'm just like "come on dude, I know the horror genre is a wasteland but this video that has a paper-thin metaphor for body dysmorphia or whatever is not that impressive".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be fair of all the genres to be like that on...yea horror is kinda fair. As a huge horror fan I'll admit my standards lower for it just because so much of it is over the top/painfully fake/cheap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

achillesforever6 posted:

I was a big Spill fan till the day it died. I'm still kind of bummed because I miss the Let's Do This podcast, Co-Host kind of disappeared off the internet when Spill died too which is a bummer.

Anyway I started with one day watching AVGN which then led to his fight with the NC and then getting into TGWTG/CA and Spoony which then led me to Lordkat's stream and then eventually breaking off into here and watching RLM and the whatever good stuff Ex CA people post.

Cohost just did a spooktacular with Korey last Halloween.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmaMnWdOQY

So it looks like Bennett is teaming up with Marc Swint, Sarah Williams and Jesse Nowack to do some animated web series ala RWBY. Here's hoping it's not as insufferable as RWBY.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Night Mind's greatest issue is still that he has kind of low standards and gets really, really drat excited when a horror video has the most basic, easy to read metaphor and treats it like a revelation. I mean, it's kind of charming and I dig him, but sometimes I'm just like "come on dude, I know the horror genre is a wasteland but this video that has a paper-thin metaphor for body dysmorphia or whatever is not that impressive".

That's the best part of Night Mind - by watching his talk-up of these mediocre projects they come across as pretty cool. As long as you never watch the originals (with a few exceptions) you can enjoy talked-up versions with all the filler cut out and a fig leaf placed over the more terrible parts. It's like a novelization of a lovely movie - the bad acting, directing and cheap special effects mostly vanish when converted to text. I think some of his analysis gets way too reachy at time, but it's fun to get the cliff's notes of a horror idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stillvisions posted:

That's the best part of Night Mind - by watching his talk-up of these mediocre projects they come across as pretty cool. As long as you never watch the originals (with a few exceptions) you can enjoy talked-up versions with all the filler cut out and a fig leaf placed over the more terrible parts. It's like a novelization of a lovely movie - the bad acting, directing and cheap special effects mostly vanish when converted to text. I think some of his analysis gets way too reachy at time, but it's fun to get the cliff's notes of a horror idea.

honestly in this post irony geohell of ours yea it is kinda nice to see a guy genuinely impressed with 'this poorly acted ARG that relies on way too much random outside knowledge for no payoff was REALLY impressive the one time it used lighting framing to symbolize something overt'. Like, yea dude, rock on, I'm glad he's enjoying it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Someone showing genuine enthusiasm for something silly might be my absolute favorite thing about internet critics/personalities. Like, Thew Adams can talk for forty minutes about the intricacies of his Masterpiece Nemesis Prime action figure and I'll watch the whole thing going ":cheers: Rock on man."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have almost no interesting in action figures/anime figures collecting but I've gone deep in so many holes because there's so many reviewers who just wanna talk about how cool they are and exactly why they're impressed that THIS version of Edward Elric has 12 more points of articulation than the LAST version and his arm is WAY shinier and better looking in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love toys, but I don’t see any value in making more toy review garbage channels. I’d rather make stop motion films.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Night Mind's analysis is frustrating, but yeah, I love how much fun he's having talking about the cool thing he found. Even if the cool thing is kind of lame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jobby The Hong is a guilty pleasure of mine for toy reviews but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone with a low tolerance for his mixture of enthusiasm and self loathing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Puppy Time posted:

Night Mind's analysis is frustrating, but yeah, I love how much fun he's having talking about the cool thing he found. Even if the cool thing is kind of lame.

what's really frustrating is that arg poo poo has a really terrible fanbase, and I've seen Nick twice loudly suspected of being secretly behind projects because he recommended them enthusiastically. Like with Cat Ghost and Petscop.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jobby The Hong is a guilty pleasure of mine for toy reviews but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone with a low tolerance for his mixture of enthusiasm and self loathing.
Yeah I like his channel but he is on the border of edgelord humor at times and can be offputting.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I love that if your only exposure to Everyman Hybrid is Night Mind, then you walk away thinking that it's some beautiful masterpiece of the Internet age. His love of ambitious cheap horror is really infectious.

The only other thing that I'd really pick at is that Night Mind really loves to stay in character or in universe, to the point that it sometimes hurts his videos. Sometimes he spends a lot of time confirming that an obvious horror project ARPG is in fact not real, and I remember that he once spent several minutes pondering why old school Something Awful goons would try to goad idiots into doing a "dangerous ritual." I guess it's all part of the package though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I forget to mention but you should also put Comic's Explained on the OP, guy releases a shitton of content and its all fun informative stuff about comics both old and new.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fluidicbeats
Also check out this guy, he's more of an internet personality and former Canadian Idol singer, but this man's passion for his ant keeping hobby and his fanbase is so endearing and I don't want to be the only person to fall in his rabbit hole of videos of various elaborate terrariums that he keeps ants in
https://www.youtube.com/user/AntsCanada

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Zedd posted:

Yeah I like his channel but he is on the border of edgelord humor at times and can be offputting.

Jobby the Hong has a long list of alt-right videos in his "liked" list.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If anything, this thread tends to get really weird about policing which channels to watch based on how close they are to the alt-right, either through twitter stalking, paying really close attention to content creators social circles, or just finding specific sentences in a given video potentially offensive. It can get really creepy really fast.

(Repeat 15 times in all caps for maximum cred)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I will not apologize for speaking the truth: that one of the most poular toy reviewers online is buddy-buddy with Carlgon of loving Akkad.

Watch Vangelus or Thew instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want a toy reviewer who is chill as poo poo and doesn’t scream or act like a man child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The only other thing that I'd really pick at is that Night Mind really loves to stay in character or in universe, to the point that it sometimes hurts his videos. Sometimes he spends a lot of time confirming that an obvious horror project ARPG is in fact not real, and I remember that he once spent several minutes pondering why old school Something Awful goons would try to goad idiots into doing a "dangerous ritual." I guess it's all part of the package though.

I actually like this about his videos, I think it's cute. :shrug:

• Locked thread