Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It does at least answer the question of "why is Ikutsuki letting all these traumatized children cope with their trauma in the unhealhiest way possible?" You thought it was because he was incompetent, but it was actually because he was evil!

Okay, it could've also been because of incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Anime Reference posted:

It does at least answer the question of "why is Ikutsuki letting all these traumatized children cope with their trauma in the unhealhiest way possible?" You thought it was because he was incompetent, but it was actually because he was evil!

Okay, it could've also been because of incompetence.

All that's missing is a scene of Ikutsuki stopping by the dorm to remind everyone to never ever talk about their problems to each other and to let their emotional stunting take care of it for them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ikutsuki being evil was pretty obvious. No good person could love puns that much. :argh:

Seriously, though, that twist felt pretty weak. We're not really given a whole lot of reasons to care about him and then he just goes evil and dies without really doing anything.

He also had that whole Gendo Ikari thing going on.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

"There's evidence to support it." (I should know, I made it myself.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

So, uh, last night was pretty intense. "Tired" is something of an understatement, really.

> You wonder if Mitsuru is alright...

> You wonder what else the future holds...

Changing Seasons (Reincarnation) / Sun

Listening: About the Student Council President? I heard her dad passed away from his illness... I bet it's tough to live without your parents...
Gossiping: Yeah, I know... I think I'll help my mom cook dinner when I go back home...

It's been at most 9 hours since then. How do these random girls know that Takeharu is dead...? Mitsuru obviously would've informed other people within the group and all but they'd also be informed that Ikutsuki was crazy and also dead.

Troubled

Well, that's no surprise, considering what he did.
*sigh* I just can't believe all this...
It's in the papers, too...

Yeah... It's never the truth.
Mitsuru-senpai's not here, huh...?

I'm sure she'll be busy for at least a week.
That sounds rough... I hope she'll be okay...
So, what're we supposed to do now...?
*gasp*

No word yet. They're probably too busy to be thinking about that.
In fact, the entire Kirijo Group must be in a state of shock.
I hope Aigis is alright...
What the hell...?

Mitsuru is meeting with the Board of Directors. That might explain the delay.
I see...
But still, what are we going to do?

What would've happened if we had been sacrificed?
There are so many unanswered questions.
Yeah, but standin' around here won't solve anything, right?
...True.
But, there is one thing we know...
Tartarus is still around, and there's a bunch of Shadows inside it.

Good to see that the more things change, Akihiko sure has the same one-track mind.

As everyone else gets ready to leave, Fuuka still has a bit left to say.

Most of it was deleted, but I was able to restore some of it.
I thought you might like to see it.

Iwatodai Dorm

As a bit of an unexpected bonus, we get to go and do stuff tonight. There's not much we CAN do though, of course.

I don't think anyone wants to go anyways...

Akihiko clearly does! But, yeah, we don't even have a reason to do that since we already cleared it out.

Dude, I'm so pissed off. This would be a great time for one of those mind-erasers.
I'm never gonna trust another adult again.

But, it's as if she just got her insides ripped out.
I hope she's alright...

I don't understand... What're we supposed to do now...?

He died before explaining the most important thing...
I never thought he would be capable of doing such a thing.

Newscaster: As a result of his death, an emergency meeting has been called...

Since we don't have much to do right now, and things have been very heavy as of late, we could do with some refreshing Jamaican flavor.

Gonna buy 20 cans of this stuff, so that we definitely have enough for everyone.

Yukari Takeba

Silence

There might not be any music here, but there is the ambient noise of fire and panicked screaming. Whew boy.

...That video!?
My employer has become obsessed with a loathsome idea.
This experiment should have never even been conceived...

However, in doing so, I set free a number of Shadows that are certain to torment future generations.
But if I hadn't, the entire world may have paid the price...
Please, listen carefully...

Huh...? This part's...
I wasn't able to stop this madness...
He won't listen, no matter what I say... He's under the devil's spell...

...Isn't that a contradiction? They're attempting to come together on their own, so we should... leave them alone, so they can come together on their own? But that's a bad thing, by Eiichiro's own admission, so surely we should try to prevent that, somehow. You can tell that there's something missing because this definitely doesn't flow as-is.

Granted this might just be me, because from what I can gather no one else thinks this is an issue, so... :shrug:

This is the original video... before Ikutsuki changed it.
Dad tried to stop the experiment.

Living With Determination

There's not much hope for me now.
I have just one favor to ask...
Whoever finds this... Please... Give my daughter Yukari this message...

...Dad...

Dad!? Daddy!!

I know one thing for sure now...

It took awhile, but I finally got your message.

The Path is Open

That's what you would have wanted... Right, Dad?

End

While Yukari is watching that and finding new resolve, we're dreaming we are dreaming...

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

As I'm sure you are aware, you are currently in a dream.
Now, then... There has been a change in you recently. Have you noticed?
And I am not referring to your change in circumstances.

That is why I have summoned you here tonight.
Going forward, there is one thing you mustn't forget.

There is no need to worry...
Whichever path you choose, I shall respect your decision.

Please remember that.
Well then, I bid you farewell.

So, we're slowly beginning a return to normalcy about now...

Troubled

A lot's been goin' on lately.
Hey, what's wrong?

I was planning on telling you...
They were your friends, after all.

Chidori shakes her head.

...What, that's not it?

Junpei...
What will you be doing in two years...?
Two years? I dunno. I really haven't though about it...
Why do you ask?

Y'know, hurting yourself.
Oh... I guess...
That's good. I mean, you have such beautiful hands...

Don't touch me!
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to...

It used to be fun when you came to visit...
But... it's different now.
Huh!?

I... I can't take this anymore!
Wh-Whaddya mean!? I don't understand!
Did I do something wrong? Tell me what it is!
Junpei...

But... Chidori...

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars (Reincarnation) / Way of Life -Deep Inside My Mind-

So, anyway, we'll be spending today running around all over town doing random poo poo because why not. There's this girl chilling out here at the Port Station who wants some Cielo Mist, apparently. We have some, so we can give her a drink, sure.

...Except, whoops, she's apparently pretty thirsty so she takes all of our inventory!

At least we've done something nice for someone. Also she's kinda missing or something, but that can only be resolved by delivering cool, liquid refreshment.

For the next thing we're doing, we need to have this from Elizabeth. Hope you've been doing Gold Shadow requests!

There's a bathroom upstairs at the Port Station that's really easy to miss and even easier to never care about.

Cleaning Lady: Ohh, okay! So you're here to help out, huh?

Cleaning Lady: Well, all right then! Why don'tcha start from the other corner?

> You decided to help the cleaning lady.

> ...

> One tile just won't get clean...

> ...

> ...

> You gave it all your strength, and the grime is beginning to lift!

> ...

> The tile is completely clean!

I very highly recommend NOT eating off a public bathroom floor, regardless of how clean it looks.

Cleaning Lady: Do you help clean the school bathrooms after lunch or something? You really know your stuff! Thanks, kid! Just leave the rest of it to me!

Since we reached level 56, we can make Alice. She IS a special fusion, but we need Pixie, Narcissus, Lilim and Nata Taishi to make her instead of the usual Belial and Nebiros. Since we need Megido for Elizabeth's request, we need to find a way to transfer that along; you can use Decarabia for it easiest at this point since he starts with it. Thoth, Mothman etc. are also super viable but I think they're less relevant since they might not have Megido and also don't give a nice chain that also includes Mudo Boost.

Die For Me! is Alice's unique spell (like usual) and is to Mudo what Samsara was to Hama. Much like with Daisoujou, she DOES learn Mudo Boost naturally, but it's at level 62 so that takes some doing. She doesn't have Growth 3 and doesn't really like inheriting it either. Notable is that unlike Daisoujou, she does not remove her Expel weakness; instead she learns... Repel Dark. I can use that and all, but jeez.

Well, well, lookit what we have here. Haven't seen this in a while...

Elizabeth's School Daze

Joy

It comes as quite a shock that such a warm, luminous place transforms into Tartarus each night...

Everyone here seems to be wearing a predetermined uniform... I may draw too much attention to myself.
I hope this won't pose a problem...
What'll you do?
Please excuse me as I make myself less conspicuous...

Let's be honest, we kinda need something that's as dumb, good fun as this. Elizabeth being Elizabeth is wonderful.

If I stay hidden from view this way, there will be nothing to worry about.
Now... onward, and into the school!

To find a bastion of commerce inside a house of learning...
Could you please wait here for a moment? There's something I've been curious about for a while...

Vendor: Oh... yes?

> Elizabeth seems to be requesting something unreasonable...

They only sell bread.

But I've heard that having bread for lunch can be a pleasure in itself...
It may prove to be a serendipitous substitute.

> Elizabeth seems to have bought bread.

Now that we're done here... I'd like to see your homeroom.

> You headed to your homeroom with Elizabeth.

So many desks and students, with such a limited amount of space between them...
But perhaps... Yes, I see. It's designed this way to foster a sense of harmony with others...
I can feel the careful thought and foresight from whoever arranged things this way.

I see... Standing behind it does cause a longing to teach to well up inside of me...
First question!

I really wonder what this looks like to everyone else right now. It seems very likely that Elizabeth is only visible whenever she actively does something... Elizabeth to act out and draw attention. Otherwise, no one pays her any attention which is rather curious.

Super Diet Food.
That is correct!
As a reward for giving the correct answer, you will receive your own portion of Super Diet Food.

Is this what a classroom lecture is like...? *chuckle*
...I'm feeling rather uneasy with so many eyes on me, so let us move on with the tour.

> You decided to walk around the school with Elizabeth.

Just a super-quick whistlestop tour around parts of the school, montage style now. The art room's one we wouldn't get to see otherwise...

Same with the music room here.

We've seen the track a couple times before, though Elizabeth decides to give it a bit of a test anyway.

....And then goes for the high jump, but she just clips through the poles because she's not all that corporeal. Huh.

I'd be happy to accompany you again anytime.
Although, to be honest... I don't entirely understand my own motives in wanting to come here...
But while walking so closely beside you, I... How should I express this...?

Perhaps... what I really wanted to learn at school was more about you.
But why...?
In any case, discovering the reasons behind this desire should provide an intriguing diversion for me.

> You headed back to the Velvet Room with Elizabeth.

End

I'm slowly beginning to understand why being there lifted my spirits...
Gekkoukan isn't just part of your world... It's a place where you spend time on a daily basis...

That's why I...
...I'll leave that aside for now. It requires further consideration...
Instead, let me give you a reward. It's another special gift.

He's a frightful "man," but he's also a part of you... like the rest, he emerges from the sea of your soul.
Please accept your reward.

Aww yeah, Hell's Angel! He's completely new to FES, as a level 60 Hanged Man. He's very, very focused but his stats for his level are sorta disapointing (he has exceptionally bad Luck, for one thing). He does learn a pair of useful skills at level 64 and 66 at least, so he'll likely be around a bit.

I knew you could do it. Congratulations, you've fulfilled my request.
You're one step closer to mastering the art of fusion.
I believe I have something you may like...

She's an incredibly strong Persona. I'm sure she'll be a big help to you.

Lilith is pretty useful, honestly. She's a level 61 Devil and can only be made via a specific Cross-Fusion. She learns some useful skills and an especially handy passive... at level 67. Welp.

...And, of course, Elizabeth asks for something that's a bit more annoying this time around. See, the earliest level you can get anything with Mabufudyne is 64. Yeah, that's gonna take some doing.

The brush you used to clean the bathroom...
The filth that's now encrusted on the bristles might help in battle. Enemies could succumb to the germs.
Maybe this is a sort of weapon fusion... no?

Whew boy. Okay, so, remember that optional recording we saw of Yukari wearing a maid's outfit? Yeah. This gives her that as a costume in Tartarus. It has 90 defense, so it's thoroughly Okay as armor.

I'll stick with the summer casual clothing for now, thanks.

Thank you for looking.
It seems that you're adept not just at finding Shadows, but humans as well...
You may be able to use your talent to become what they call a "detective."
I strongly recommend trying on a deerskin cap and pipe to see how they'd fit you.

Oh goodie. A maid outfit, but for Aigis.

I'll just stick with her current stuff instead if you don't mind.

Anyway, since we cleaned that bathroom we can now go back to school real quick and water some flowers.

They're up on the roof, and are hard to see here. This random kid is in the way, but since we can see the one over the left we know they're here.

> The flowers don't seem to have been watered for a while.

> You watered the flowers.

> They should be fine for now.

This seems like its implying that we need to come back later, sure, but we actually don't! We're already done with this.

I heard that plants will grow if you keep watering them.
But I don't think plants are the only things with that ability...
There's a part of me I'd like to grow as well...
So I'm thinking about giving it some water.
The next time you see me, maybe I'll have grown a little in some way.

Well, I guess we needed a third one for good measure. This one, naturally, is for Mitsuru.

The boys equivalents, Butler outfits, can just be bought from the police station and have been available for a long while. Even Koromaru gets one!

Anyway, we're done with these for now. The rest available require being further along chronologically to complete.

So, it turns out we've only got 6 links still currently available that aren't complete. It's 7 if you include The Fool but that's plot, so don't. We're still conspicuously missing The Empress though...

Anyway, Bebe gets today because no one else in school is available. Winner by default! I'm sure he's happy with that.

Joy

Even zough my wallet eez light and I can only buy cheap material...
I will work 'ard to make ze best kimono, and save my future!

> You helped Bebe work on the kimono.

Hmm... So far, so good, ne? Right?
When my uncle sees zis, I know he'll agree wiz me about how great Nihon eez!
He'll agree for sure.
I truly believe zat, so I will work even 'arder!

I accomplished a lot today wiz your 'elp, Makoto-sama!
Arigatou! Zank you!

> Bebe seems very grateful.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

Dang, Bebe has worker's cramp. That sucks.

It must be from working so 'ard...
But, I will finish zis kimono no matter what!
Yosh! I can't give up now!

> You worked with Bebe for a long time, and then decided to go back to the dorm.

We'll probably see Bebe again relatively soon. We're running a lot lower on in-school links than you'd think, and the out of school ones have much more free and generous scheduling, which is why we're not really prioritising them just yet.

Plus, Bebe's link is pretty simple but really good and effective. Anyone who claims to dislike Bebe is either a liar or a charlatan.

...And then tonight Elizabeth gives us a call, to let us now the barrier in Tartarus is gone. Except there wasn't a barrier. Uhh, we really should go see what that's about!

Iwatodai Dorm

I'd like to think that she'll be okay, but... I'm not so sure this time.

But, well, it's probably a better idea to wait for when Mitsuru's back and free before we go to Tartarus.

For whatever reason, she tried to fight against us. I think it hurts her to be here and see us...
Can you please forgive her, Makoto-kun?
No! I don't wanna!

Act like a grown-up and just forgive her!
Sure.
Oh, thank you. I knew you were a kind person.

I wanted to stop believing so many times...
But, I finally feel good about it.
Because, in my heart, my dad has always been my dad.

But, what would you do if your dad is not your dad...?

Even though he took control of me, I cannot believe I did such a thing to you...
Can you ever forgive me?
Of course.
Thank you very much.
I will train hard so that I can be a great help to you.

Newscaster: Everyone is disappointed, after the announcement said it would begin to diminish around the 20th...

So, Junpei's up on the second floor here. This dialogue he has here is completely new to FES. Yeah, I dunno.

I don't know what to do, man...
Go see her.
Huh...?
Y-Yeah... you're right. Maybe she was just havin' a bad day.

Well, we COULD be a dick to Junpei but let's be honest here. He gets poo poo on by everything else enough already; he could do with some cheering up every now and then.

There's not much else we can do tonight, of course. We COULD Tartarus, apparently, but I'll just wait for Mitsuru to come back first.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 16, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You realize now that you must now buy and show off Koromaru's butler outfit.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Keldulas posted:

Seconded

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Junpei is still pining after the red-haired yandere anime stereotype who was part of Takaya's group that might as well have been on Ikutsuki's side from the beginning. This can't end well.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Even if you don't plan on using them, I hope you showcase the teammates' reactions when you give them the special outfits.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Keldulas posted:

It would be pretty silly of me to mention it and expect to just leave it at that, yeah.

Normally there'd be the "well, if he never gets voted in..." aspect but, well, Koromaru. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

We're pretty much back to normal at this point, despite everything that just happened.

Listening: You know, I hear the problem isn't just limited to this city. It's happening everywhere.
Gossiping: I wonder what's going to happen to this country...
Listening: D-Don't say "this country"...!

> The first bell has rung.

So, anyway, we'll definitely be spending today with Yuko. She is only available two days a week after all, and the next chance is Wednesday and that's a lot more awkward than it sounds.

Joy

I could've given this to you at school, but... it gave me an excuse to see you.
What are you talking about?
H-Hold your horses! I'm getting to that... Actually, I'm the one who's impatient...

...Remember the kids we coached?
The four of them each wrote something for us.
They're kinda mouthy, but they have their moments...
Not really.
Wow, you're tough to please...
I bet you'll be a strict father when you have kids.

Here, this is for you, Makoto-kun.

They told me to give it to you... Aren't they cute?
That's why I called you up.
...It was my excuse for inviting you over...

And...?
D-Don't make me say it!

Quit staring at me... I know my face is all red...
Um... You helped me find my true calling, Makoto-kun.
...I'm so glad we met.

Well, this went far past the usual vague implications right quick.

So, will you stay with me a while longer...?

> Yuko has expressed her love for you...

The Path is Open

Joy

Siegfried's level 59 and is also who we need for Scarlet Havoc when we inevitability make it that high. That aside, he's pretty decent as a Physical attacker and even learns a Very Nice skill at level... 65. At least he gets a potent Physical attack at 63, so it won't be too bad.

...And yeah, it just goes straight from rank up to this. I didn't skip anything here.

Iwatodai Dorm

And that one line of dialogue from Junpei is all that's new in the dorm tonight.

...No, really. That's it. Not even anything on the TV.

So, I guess we'll just skip on over to Sunday then.

Which, of course, means we can buy a new thing from Tanaka. New weapon for Koromaru and we might as well grab it, since 115k is pretty cheap at this point.

Odd that the girls are hanging out on the second floor right now. Their rooms are on the third floor, and all. Plus this isn't really something that's happened during the daytime for the most part.

But, he was just pretending... That wasn't his true self.
Do you think he really enjoyed the times we all spent together...?
No one can answer that now...
Who cares? All we need to know is that he betrayed us...
I'll never forgive him for using my father...

Ikutsuki never mentioned anything about his plot, even when we were alone.
Meaning, he completely hid his true nature. It is truly an extraordinary feat.
This clearly illustrates how unique his psychological state was.
It's scary just thinking about it...
And all this time, we never suspected a thing...
Ugh... It makes me feel sick...

Neither Tartarus nor the Dark Hour disappeared...
Only our reason for fighting is gone...
Argh! This is pissing me off! drat you, Ikutsuki!
Calm down, Yukari-chan... Getting angry won't help the situation.
That is correct. It is best if we erase him from our memories.

There's still some folks hanging out in the lounge, at least.

Leaving her be is the best thing right now, huh...
I wish there was something more I could do...

She can't seem to rely on any adults.
Well, I guess that's because adults don't seem to be very reliable these days.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars (Reincarnation) / Way of Life -Deep Inside My Mind-

Oh, and this has updated today as well.

No normal guy would be waiting this long to talk to a girl, right?

She helped that brat who fell and started crying! She actually made him stop that drat bawling!
drat... She's one nice girl...

Anyway, uh, relevant stuff. Mamoru's right there and all but pffft nah. It's Sunday!

Akinari's the only real answer today.

Living With Determination

I got really into my reading last night and never went to sleep...
I thought I'd be fine since I have many nights when I'm unable to sleep because of my illness, but... *cough*
...I guess my condition won't improve if I keep taking chances, though.

Still really awkward whenever we get choices like this. Since Akinari always ranks up, it doesn't matter what we pick here. Going with the top option, though, so that maybe he'll learn something.

...Yes, I suppose I need to apologize.
It's been a long time since anybody raised their voice at me...

I came all this way because I was hoping to find you...
...Remember how I talked about reading upbeat stories?
There are plenty of stories, but I don't think reading them will ever be able to make me feel better...

I guess what I'm saying is selfish...
...I'm being selfish about you, too.
You're always coming to see me, and I take up a lot of your time.
How much of your valuable time have you used on visiting me?

That's why I like you, though.

> Akinari smiled weakly...

Sorry... It seems I used too many words today.
I'd like us to be able to speak here again some time...

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

Newscaster: ...And now, the news. Due to the sudden increase of Apathy Syndrome victims, the hospital is overflowing with...

Unlike normal, this time I left it 'til now on purpose. Because without it, there's nothing new at all in the dorm today!

What a weird couple days.

Gossiping: I heard the boy who's transferring here today is a stud!
Listening: Really? Are you just messing with me?
Gossiping: No! I heard it from someone who saw him filling out the forms.
Listening: Which class!?
Gossiping: 11th grade, Classroom F.

...Wait, that's OUR class...

Listening: Oh... Well, that's disappointing. But I'll go check him out later!

The New Kid On The Block

Joy

As you all know, this is our 3rd. That makes it a hat trick.

> The class seems unamused.

Please introduce yourself.

Ryoji here is voiced by... Yuri Lowenthal, which means now he's back to being tied with Grant George for named roles here.

I would be grateful if you could show me the ropes.

Female Student: ...Hey, he's kinda cute.
Student's Friend: I was thinking the same thing.
Female Student: Not so loud...

> You can hear the girls whispering.

...Nice to meet you.

> He seems to be looking in your direction...

so he may not be used to all of our customs.
Be sure to explain them to him.
Now then, you need a seat. Let's see...
That one's open. Second from the left, in the front.

Didn't we already do this? I feel like we already did this.

You must be present to be a member of this class, so as far as I'm concerned, that seat is available.
Life is nothing but a game of musical chairs. The rest of you should be careful, too.

I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name...

Dangerous? I haven't even asked you out on a date yet...
A date...? ...... ...?
Aigis, what's wrong with you?

*sigh*
Your teacher understands, Aigis...

*sigh* I wish your classmates would pay attention to me for a change... Hey, are any of you any listening?

End

Anyone who doesn't settle down will be left out of the school trip next week, got it?
Good... Now, let's begin on today's lecture.
Where did we leave off last time...? Oh, forget it. I'm not using the textbook.
"Indeed, 'twas I who found the corpse..."
...I'm not going to say it again: be quiet! The students who want to pay attention can't hear!
If you must gossip about Ryoji, you can wait until the break, or ask him then yourself!

That's not a bad idea, actually. We'll do just that!

Aigis seems to instinctually dislike him, so let's see what she has to say about that.

I have re-analyzed him and detect nothing out of the ordinary. However, I have a "bad feeling" about him.

Huh, odd. Aigis is a bit too... robot to have nonspecific bad feelings. Normally. Maybe Ikutsuki also messed something else up by accident?

Anyway, we CAN also talk to Ryoji so we'll do that too.

Wow, I never dreamed there would be so many cute girls at this school. I've already asked many of them out on dates.

...Well, that was, uh, enlightening...?

Anyway, uh, hey Yukari! We'll spend today with you, sure.

Joy

Do you remember when those guys stole my wallet, and you came to help me?
Um...

I don't like having to depend on other people. I wanted to be able to take care of it myself...
...but I ended up needing your help.
I never told you this...
...but I was really glad you came.
I don't think I could say this to anyone else, Makoto-kun...
Thanks for your help back then. I really appreciate it.
Anytime.
Tryin' to play it cool, eh?

> The two of you have grown much closer...

Well, the good news is that's significantly less relevant now than ever before. It's basically just for show, really.

Wow, it's getting late...

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

He's goin' around askin' out every girl he sees!
drat... I wish I had his guts...
*sigh* Not another one...

I definitely feel for Yukari here. One Junpei can be bad enough at times... especially before Chidori turned up.

He is very strange...

I dunno, he comes off a bit of a generic womaniser right now.

He's got all the girls lovin' him...
I'm glad I finally have a rival that can stand up to my good looks!

It's kinda odd how sometimes Junpei remembers Chidori exists and acts like he's gone through the development he has done. Then sometimes he just... forgets about it entirely.

There is something about him...
I don't know exactly what, though.

Well, he's pretty good looking, so a lot of them probably don't mind.
Unlike Junpei, who couldn't get a girl if he was the last guy on the planet.
I heard that, Yuka-tan! How dare you say something like that about this hunk of burning love!
...Hunk of what?

...No, really, it's kinda weird how Junpei sometimes forgets that he's sorta had character progression.

Newscaster: According to his hypothesis, the current wave of Apathy Syndrome was due to end on the 20th. However, with the Syndrome spreading even further, his trust has been...

It took long enough, but people finally start doubting the guy who lacked basic pattern recognition in the first place. Should probably feel a bit less good about that, really, but it was deserved.

Anyway, with Ryoji around, things might be a bit less boring at school now.

We're still just sorta passing time right now waiting for Mitsuru to finish up business-y stuff, so...

How is she?
I don't know...
But, I'm sure she's feeling kinda down. I don't blame her, of course.

For better or worse, these days are all very short which works fine really. We'll be spending today with Bebe, naturally.

Joy

> It seems Bebe is talking to himself while sewing.

Hmm... Zat cheap material 'as been transformed!
Wizout your 'elp...
I would probably be back 'ome already...
But because of you, Makoto-sama, I was able to finish ze kimono!
About France...
My country... Zere is nozing zere for me now!
I 'ave to put an end to zis, so zat I can die 'ere in ze country I love!

By ze way, Makoto-sama...
I 'ave met many people in Nihon...
But, you are ze best tomodachi I 'ave 'ere!
If my aunt was still alive...
I would tell her about ze wonderful friend I 'ave made... Subarashii!

> You feel like Bebe really depends on you.

I am so tired zat I zink I see my aunt!
Zis is ze last part... I can't give up!
Ready, set... GO!

> You worked with Bebe for a long time, and then decided to go back to the dorm.

I know I already said it, but I really like how simple and straight-forward Bebe's link is. It's not trying to do anything beyond what it needs to.

Iwatodai Dorm

She looked really tired. She went straight to her room, without saying a word...
She'll be fine.
I hope so...

Well, I'm glad Mitsuru's back even if she's still exhausted physically and emotionally. Now she won't be explicitly surrouned by constant reminders of what just happened.

...Just implicitly instead, which isn't really an improvement.

I don't exactly know how I got over it, but...
I still remember how I shut myself away from the world.
Those were very dark days...

She's still bummed...
I guess she needs more time.

There's nothing on the TV tonight, and of course Mitsuru's just shut up in her room for obvious reasons. So, we're already done with today.

So, yeah, these days are gonna be
really short, all things considered.

...Including today. Which we'll be spending with Keisuke, because we've been neglecting him a bit and this is basically just a reminder he exists.

For me, mostly.

Joy

...Hey, let's take a break.
Well, Makoto-kun, I've decided that I'm going to study photography abroad.
I'm not really excited about it...
But I already told Sensei that I don't want to become a doctor, so...
I-I'm going to get something to drink from the vending machine. You want anything? It's on me.
You like cola, right?

...No, I didn't skip out of anything there either. Keisuke is off-screen for a whole... ~60 frames. Yep. One second. Kid's quick!

H-Hey! Look out!!

Crisis

> Keisuke's voice sounds like it's getting farther and farther away...

Joy

I kept calling your name...
But you wouldn't open your eyes, so I...

> Your head is throbbing.

Well, I don't see any cuts on your head, so I don't think you need any stitches...
How is your memory? Can you tell me your name?
Yeah, I'm fine.

Hi Fine, I'm Dad.

Whew... That's good to hear...

I was worried that when you fell, you hit your head, and...
H-Hey, do you remember what I was talking about before all this happened?
Yeah, I remember.
I was the one who put that box up there...
We have a maid who cleans our house, so I don't do much cleaning. I guess I just got lazy and put it up there.

> Keisuke seems very apologetic.

...All I could think about was what would happen if you didn't wake up. I was getting so scared...
You were in trouble, but I couldn't do anything to help you...
I couldn't do anything to help you because I'm not a doctor...
Don't worry about it.
You're strong, Makoto-kun...

I can't even imagine that. My parents are always there for me. Maybe I take them for granted...
But seeing you lying there like that... Now I know how it must feel to lose someone you're close to...

> Keisuke seems to care about you.

...Oh, sorry.
We should get going. Can you walk? Here, you can lean on me.

> You decided to leave school with Keisuke.

Keisuke's link is super meandery, but at least he finally cops to just doing the club stuff as a "no, you shut the gently caress up, Dad!" thing rather than because he actually wants to. It's been blatant the entire time and it only took... way too long to admit it, but at least he finally did. Maybe now he can stop being a bad rough draft of links from Persona 4 and 5 and start being interesti-- wait no its keisuke never mind

Iwatodai Dorm

Maybe it was because of his parents...
No one knows anything about him.
He's so mysterious...

Ohey, Junpei's dialogue here has changed from vanilla. He talks about Ryoji as well there, but here he... doesn't. Neat.

So, uhh... Think I should bring anything for her?
Just talk to her.
That's all? I was thinking about some kinda present...
But you know... maybe it would be enough just talk. I mean, she's in the hospital all alone...
I dunno if she'll listen to my stories, but I'm gonna try.

Newscaster: With some doctors succumbing to Apathy Syndrome themselves, the situation is worsening...

We're not quite done here juuust yet, though.

Mitsuru IS hanging out on the 3rd floor on her own, tonight.

*sigh* I can't seem to find a reason to fight...
Or a reason to live, for that matter...

...And on that incredibly dour note, we'll just.. finish with today. Yeesh.

Fortunately! Yukari calls to arrange a date for Sunday and we definitely want this. It'll be very important.

But we'll get to that when we get to Sunday, which is still a bit of a ways off.

Well, it HAS been some time since we last had a long spiel from Edogawa. It was nice while it lasted.

Today, we'll be examining regional forms of magic.
First up is India, one of the birthplaces of magics.
You may not think of India as an especially magical place, but...
It's precisely the opposite.

It was a definite influence on Gnosticism, and a foundation of modern-day theosophy.
It's said that the Upanishads, part of the Vedas, are the original books of magic.
Many ancient Indians were passionate in their search for magic.
These Indian magicians emerged in similar circumstances as other places around the world.
In India, it's traditional to lead a pious life...

At first, their claims were rejected, but they slowly gained power and numbers...
Eventually, they were accepted into common practice.
They are the asceticists mentioned in the Upanishads.
However, a normal human wouldn't be able to mimic their skills.

Do you think you could fast and pray for months at a time, without eating or sleeping?
You'd die before attaining any powers!
So, it's understandable that the Buddha rejected such extreme asceticism.
Of course, the Upanishads aren't all about such wild practices.
They contain very practical methods, too. Yoga, for instance, was also introduced in these scriptures.
...Are you all listening? No out-of-body projections, now! Eeeheehee.
Perhaps a test is in order, to see if you were listening...
Get it wrong, and I'll pile on some extra bad karma. Om vajra-ratna Om...
Who should I call on? How about you, Makoto? I ask thee...

The Upanishads.
Correct! Remember to live an honest life.
Moving forward... Yoga is full of variations.
Some asanas are for health, while others are for prayer and worship.
One important system is Hatha yoga, the type of yoga people are most familiar with today.
In this case, one cultivates a healthy body to attain purity of mind...

Okay, good, he's finally done. Edogawa sometimes seems like he's just not really ever gonna stop whenever he gets going...

Anyway, since we accepted Yukari's date offer that gave us enough points to make it worth hanging out with her today!

Joy

Doesn't eating fish remind you of the ocean...?
It's a part of our lives, I guess, living along the coast. We even spent our vacation at the beach.
Hey, after all this is over, why don't we go somewhere different, like the mountains?
We could have lunch outdoors. Maybe we'll even see a deer or something. Whaddya think?
Sounds good.
Really? You promise?

Alright, then I'll make us lunch!
I might not look like it, but I'm a pretty good cook! Just you wait and see!

After spending a lot of time with Fuuka, I'm just glad whenever this isn't played up as a terrible sexist "joke".

...Don't invite anyone else, okay?

I'm not sure how to say this, but...
When I'm with you, Makoto-kun, I don't feel so alone...
I mean, I do have friends... and there's everybody at the dorm, but...
Usually, I feel like the real me is trapped somewhere deep down inside...
Maybe it's because of my family... Each time I open my eyes, it seems like I'm one step behind.
But when I'm with you, I don't feel that way...
You're very important to me, Makoto-kun.

> Yukari seems to really like you.

> Things are getting serious now...

Let's get going.

> You decide to go back to the dorm...

Scenes like this one honestly make Makoto end up coming off as somehow even worse than in some other entire links, which is kinda impressive in a way. It's almost certainly not wholly intentional, mind.

Iwatodai Dorm

And I still don't know exactly what it is about him...
But, I want you to remain cautious around him.

Oh man, we haven't had Lisa on the TV in what feels like forever!

"Chinyan" means "Lover." If you catch Apathy Syndrome, you won't be "Chinyan" anymore!
That's all for this week! Back to the news!

Also, let's talk to Koromaru real quick.

Awooon...

> He thinks you're hungry...

> Koromaru is looking at you with eyes full of sympathy.

Arf!

Arf!

D'aww, that's probably the greatest and cutest these mini-fetch quests are gonna get. Almost feel bad about giving it away now.

...Oh well, off to the Velvet Room!

Oh, it's fit for wolves and tigers, too?
It does have an enticing aroma... Wait, this must be...
I'm slightly jealous of dogs who are regularly served this...
For the first time in my life... I wish I was a dog.

Much like the previous Magatama we obtained, this is the only one we can get and it's still unique as a reward here.

For what its worth, the reason you can't get this in vanilla is because all of these day specific fetch quests were added in FES. There's only 55 quests total in the vanilla release.

Some quests are even unique to the vanilla release, but they're not worth worrying about all that much really. They're all hyper-easy stuff we could do anyway.

Gossiping: I don't care much about shrines, but I'm still excited about it!
Listening: Me too! I want to see deers, deers, and deers!
Gossiping: Just deers, eh...? Wait, you're thinking of Nara...

Aigis and Ryoji are finally back in the classroom after school for the first time since Ryoji transferred in.

First year students do not normally go on a trip, but for some reason the seniors have not gone on one either.
So this year, the juniors and seniors are going together.

Aigis isn't talking about Ryoji at all for once, though. She's a mite too distracted by the upcoming Kyoto trip.

Aren't you excited?
Definitely.
I'll make sure we have a great time while we're there...

Ryoji being the "pervert" archtype makes me worried about what he could be referring to here...

Anyway, we're not gonna be spending today with anyone! We're using the shrine to get 15 more points with Yukari. We've not really used this much at all, so I can't blame anyone for forgetting this even existed.

Iwatodai Dorm

So I wonder why he's going to see Chidori-san...
Hmm... Maybe her Persona went out of control...

Ssssssure. Let's just go with that.

...so please bring me back a souvenir.
Oh, and I'd prefer something other than a t-shirt or a key chain.
I hear they have really good nama-yatsuhashi there...

When she gets depressed, then Akihiko-senpai gets depressed, too.
I hope the school trip will cheer her up...

I just love Kyoto...

Keep on working on that sarcasm. It's a little too overt right now.

Newscaster: The yen is now 115.52 to the dollar, down 0.24 from last time. Japan's economy is feeling the effects of Apathy Syndrome...

So, we've got a scant few days to worry about now. We might as well use it for the obvious, since Mitsuru's been back for a few days I fully expect her to be available again sometime soon.

Yukari upgraded Io to Isis. And, well, Isis is pretty good.

...wait poo poo hang on

So, anyway, this allows Yukari to, uh, keep on being Yukari. Like Caesar and Kala-Nemi, her resistance has been upgraded to an immunity and she unlocks better skills. Diarahan is technically coming online here at around the same time it would be for Makoto, which is nice. It's even a level that makes sense, which Ken
someone could learn from.

Junpei's hands down got the lowest Magic out of everyone we have and it's not even close. His Strength is higher than everyone else's, though, and with Blade of Fury he's capable of doing some multi-target damage. Marakukaja gives him some support utility for if/when Tartarus decides to Tartarus.

Akihiko sure is Akihiko. His stats aren't really anything stellar, which is really the biggest downside to his general support role. He's functional enough for that, at least, and if he gets it, then his Boosted+Amped Dynes won't be anything to sneeze at.

So, Mitsuru is inching ever-closer to throwing out Boosted+Amped Dynes that are also potentially Mind Charged. With stat boosts from weapons/armor, she can even have over 50 magic easily at this point which, uh, yeah. Mitsuru is easily the overall most powerful non-Makoto we have and she's practically caught up in terms of raw numbers which is... kind of a terrifying prospect. For Shadows.

Aigis gained a couple levels from the full moon, which means she has Heat Wave for multi-target strike damage now. That she gets Marakukaja next is a bit disappointing since it'd give her overlap with Junpei AND Koromaru on that front.

Koromaru's not great for offense and is questionably useful for support. That he gets Mudoon at level 56 is really kinda bad for his one real use, though having High Counter by default now is kinda nice.

Also he's Koromaru.

Ken is Ken and Ken is bad. He hs the Gae Bolg for now so he can sorta help a but, but he's just sorta lagging in general at this point.

You know the deal by now, folks:

:siren: Which three are gonna come with? :siren:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 8, 2018

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Mitsuru needs something to take her mind off of things, Yukari gets to show off the power of Isis, and Koromaru of course.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukari, Junpei, Koromaru.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm kinda surprised we're doing the "random school trip" arc now...after, you know, our teammate and Mr. Kirijo fuckin' died. Feels like we should be doing the endgame by now.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Ken, Akihiko, and Koromaru because they're all kind of middling in battle.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Koromaru needs to show off his fancy butler outfit, Yukari can show off her new Persona, and...eh, screw it, Akihiko can come along to be mediocre.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Mitsuru, Yukari, Robot

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Mitsuru needs to go :black101: on some shadows, Yukari because we could potentially use a non-makoto healer and Junpei because :black101: and also maybe needs to get things out about his girlfriend, Idfc

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Dog, Robot, Possibly Suicidal Girl.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dragonatrix posted:

...so please bring me back a souvenir.
Oh, and I'd prefer something other than a t-shirt or a key chain.
I hear they have really good nama-yatsuhashi there...

Geez, Ken, if you don't want everyone thinking of you as kid, maybe quit acting like such an entitled brat? Wisdom from my great-aunt: "If all else fails for a souvenir, get a t-shirt. That way you have both a souvenir, and also another piece of clothing to wear".

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm kinda surprised we're doing the "random school trip" arc now...after, you know, our teammate and Mr. Kirijo fuckin' died. Feels like we should be doing the endgame by now.

There are plot reasons why this random trip has to happen at this exact point, but yeah despite the game having finally entered The Interesting Part, P3's infamous pacing problems continue to persist.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Yukari, Mitsuru, and Koromaru

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Never not vote

GeneX posted:

Dog, Robot, Possibly Suicidal Girl.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Mitsuru, Junpei and Yukari

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Ken, Aigis, Mitsuru

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Alice doesn't learn a null weakness skill, but I think it's possible to fuse Null Light onto her. She's good but SP intensive.

Siegfried, on the other hand, is a steamroller. You couldn't quite beat the whole game with him at this point, but you could get pretty close.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yukari, Koromaru, Akihiko

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mitsuru, Akihiko and Koromaru.

Dragonatrix posted:

She can't seem to rely on any adults.
Well, I guess that's because adults don't seem to be very reliable these days.

This is just sadly hilarious to me, considering P2 was all about how you can rely on adults and that it's okay to allow yourself to be helped by them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mitsuru, Yukari, and I guess Koromaru has the butler outfit now.

Dragonatrix posted:

You're strong, Minato-kun...
I thought he was going by Makoto in this LP. Transcription error?

In fact, there seem to be a lot of instances in this post where he's referred to in transcribed text as Minato.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

code:
  Yukari: |||||||||
  Junpei: |||
 Akihiko: ||||
 Mitsuru: ||||||||||
   Aigis: ||||
Koromaru: ||||||||||
     Ken: ||
This seems like a bit of an obvious one-sided result so far, but I'm still open to being surprised.

Commander Keene posted:

I thought he was going by Makoto in this LP. Transcription error?

Sorta, but not really. That's just how it is in the script I'm using for S.Link scenes and I noticed it was in there a lot this time around and decided that I'd just change it after I was done. You noticed how well that went. :v:

Fortunately, it's fixed now, hurray!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Robot, Mitsuru, Junpei

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can I vote for Aigis twice and Koromaru once?

If not, Aigis, Koromaru, Yukari.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aigis, Koromaru, Mitsuru.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Commander Keene posted:

Mitsuru, Yukari, and I guess Koromaru has the butler outfit now.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Geez, Ken, if you don't want everyone thinking of you as kid, maybe quit acting like such an entitled brat? Wisdom from my great-aunt: "If all else fails for a souvenir, get a t-shirt. That way you have both a souvenir, and also another piece of clothing to wear".

I'm really bad at picking gifts so I'm always glad when the person who has to receive one just plain tells me what they want. In Japan bringing gifts to family/friends/coworkers when you go on a trip isn't just a nice gesture, by the way, it's mandatory.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I... see that we have Tuesday as straight-up free time. I don't think that's a holiday. It's probably the trip, then. Guess we'll see!

Oh good, more Edogawa. Welp...

I'll be teaching today because... Maybe it's best you don't know.
Anyway, it was a spur of the moment assignment, so I had to devise a lesson plan quickly...
And the first thing that came to mind was a seminar on practical magic.

Some people would say it doesn't count, but breathing and magic are actually very closely related.
That's because breathing affects more than your body... it influences the mind as well.
The ancient Greek word for breath was "pneuma," and it was consndered crucial in medical scuence of the day.
Pneuma later came to refer to kindly spirits of humans in Gnostic Christianity.
That was when breathing came to be recognized as playing a crucial role in magic.

Pretty sure this was already mentioned a few days ago...

There also exists a procedure called Ibuki in Shingo that revolves around breathing.
From these examples, breathing techniques spread around the world through the influence of magic.
But back to practical matters... Let me show you something called tan t'ien breathing.

It's a type of abdominal breathing in which you focus your energy on a point, called a tan t'ien...
First, you must know where your tan t'ien is located.

Why would such a place on your body be considered a special spot, and get a name like this?
It's because the tan t'ien is where the most energy can be charged.
Notice how, if you send strength to the tan t'ien, you can't feel strength anywhere else in your body...
Your tan t'ien absorbs your body's strength, stabilizing the mind and the body.
Let's try doing some tan t'ien breathing now.

Once you pinpoint your tan t'ien, take a few breaths.
Imagine that the air you pull into your body is centering on the tan t'ien...
Then, slowly and deeply, breathe through your nose.

Repeat this process...
But know one thing.
If you're doing it correctly, you shouldn't be feeling any pain.
Simply breathing deeply, in and out, shouldn't cause you pain.
If that happens, there's something inhibiting your mind...

It's important not to believe that all you're doing is breathing.
In truth, you can improve your physical fitness through breathing techniques.
That leads, in turn, to improvement in your psyche and astral self.
That's it for today...

Oh thank God we're done. That was somehow the most boring and pointless Edogawa segment yet.

...Only reason I didn't skip it was because if I had to sit through that, then
so do you! :mad:

Silence

Anyway, let's have a real scene now.

It's rare for you to miss a Student Council meeting.
I take it someone asked you to find me?
Well, yeah, even though I'm not a member.
...Sorry about that.

I bet you have your hands full, since it's both for juniors and seniors...
Hmph... The class trip, huh...

You're not thinking of skipping the trip, are you?
You can't do that!

It's true, she has been! Yukari has had things to say to Mitsuru since, uh... like, April? Really been sitting on some stuff for way too long.

Is that so...?

Tranquility

To tell you the truth, you're not the easiest person to relate to.
But, I know what it's like to lose a father...
Takeba...

And I'm going to begin this bold new venture by talking in circles and repeating myself!

....Just in time for Ryoji to turn up. Welp.

Hey there, ladies!
I've been looking everywhere for you.

Silence

Ryoji-kun...
*sigh* Why are you here...?

Some girl I've never met before asked me to look for her...
What?
I wasn't the only one she asked, either.

Seems like the Vice President has the whole school looking for you...
But, I'm the lucky one who found you, Mitsuru Kirijo...

There's a time and a place for things, Ryoji.

...It just so happens that for Ryoji that is "wherever he sees a girl" and "whenever he sees a girl." Apparently.

(also the added bonus here is that yuri lowenthal is just asking out tara platt who is his actual wife so :v:)

I know this one restaurant: it's on the top floor of a 3-star hotel...
The view at night is almost as breathtaking as you.
...Huh?
Senpai! You better get back to the meeting!
I-I suppose so.
Takeba... Thank you for your concern.

Sensibly, Mitsuru gets outta dodge at the first chance.

..."For now," huh. I don't like the sound of that...
Um, Yukari-san... How 'bout you? Would you like to join me for dinner?
I know this place on Shirakawa Boulevard...

Well, that ended about as well as it could've.

...We can immediately go and see what Ryoji thinks of it, of course.

Is that not her style?
Mitsuru-san seems like a tough nut to crack...

Unfortunately, he just thinks like Ryoji so I don't know what else I should've expected.

By the way, I hope you like Yukari. She's gonna be around today a whole lot!

Joy

Hey, Makoto-kun, how 'bout you pick one for me?
Alright.
Pick something cute that will look good on me.

...!
Uh huh...
What!? You're not!?
You want me to forgive you...?
Wait! Don't do that! Do what you wanna do!
...But, that's not what I meant...

...Well, you don't have to worry about me...
Huh?
You want to get together and talk about it?

I'll call you later, okay?
...Alright. Bye.

> Yukari hung up.

...Somehow, I kinda guessed.

She apologized for everything that's happened.
She said she won't get remarried until I forgive her...
Can we sit for a while?

Do you want to see her?
Well, I'm not the one who asked to meet. I'm afraid it might get ugly.

> Yukari smiled a little.

Right now, Yukari is 17. You would be forgiven for forgetting her birthday, since it happened in October (was the 19th) and no one makes a big deal out of any of them.

So, uh, if it's been almost 10 years since she last saw her mom, then she... has been doing something since she was like 8 or so. What? Uhhh....

When I see her, I might get angry and say something cruel.
But... It's probably about time I talked to her...
Nothing will change if I just run away...
Deep down inside, I think she still misses Dad.

......When did that happen? I don't remember agreeing to that.

She couldn't handle it... Losing someone so important to her...

> Yukari has opened up to you.

> The two of you are becoming even closer...

We can go shopping some other day.

> You decide to go back to the dorm...

Iwatodai Dorm

...I apologize for worrying everyone.
Our only priority now is to do something about Tartarus.
...I will do my best.
Well, the school trip is next week, so that should be fun.
...But unfortunately, Amada and Koromaru will have to stay here.

Well, I'm sure it'll be fine. There's no major Shadows left (and it's not even close to a full moon), and the... threats(???) that were in Strega are clearly dead so...

Anyway, now that Mitsuru's stopped sitting around on her own upstairs there's a whole buncha updated dialogue in the dorm.

I sure am!
Well, I hope it will be a memorable trip.

not today we're not

She may not be worried...
...but that doesn't mean I'm not worried.

It's funny how everyone has these stereotypes of that place...

Yukari-chan used to live in Kyoto.
Yeah, I knew that.
Maybe we can ask her to be our tour guide.
...Or would that be rude?

I thought about asking the nurse if something was up, but I'm sure the staff doesn't give a poo poo...
I... I'm gonna stop visiting her...
Don't give up.
R-Really?
Yeah... you know, you're right! I'm famous for never knowing when to quit!
I'm going to visit her whether she likes it or not!

...And that's the story of how Junpei got arrested on stalking charges and was subject to a restraining order.

Well, okay, maybe not but he's sure not doing himself any favours with that conclusion.

I thought that it was simply an activity to experience, but it seems to be more complex than that.
What do you obtain when you go on a "trip"?
Memories.
Memories...
What do you benefit from gaining memories?
...It is very difficult.

And we'll leave Aigis with this whole philosophical consideration thing.

We have a date with Yukari to... get to...

...Okay, yes, I can see now where that came from before.

> Yukari seems to be enjoying herself...

Oh...
Um...

> Yukari seems nervous.

I...

Well, it'd be nice to know what counts as an appropriate amount for a "normal" girl in the first place, really.

It's a healthy appetite.
R-Really?
...Hey, what's with that smirk?
"A healthy appetite," huh... *giggle*

> Today, you two became a lot closer.

As always, this was the important part here. Getting from 8 to 9 without something this convenient would take a little bit longer than I'd like...

> It's getting dark out...

Iwatodai Dorm

I've alluded to it before (like maybe twice but hey), but I've been in a Persona tabletop before. It used Marvel Heroics and Personae were basically just actual Jojo Stands. Like, for real, rather than the "friendly allusions" that they are now. I opted to be the Navigator because I like playing support roles and I even got to do both that and do fighting stuff before Persona 5 came out.

to say nothing of how ive run three devil survivor tabletop games and uhhh anyway where was i this isnt tradgames

Right, second floor. The boys are hanging out up here. Even Koromaru's decided to join in!

This is not good, man. What if the seniors decide to quit SEES?
I don't know if we can handle it without them, man.
Junpei-san! Don't say that!

> He seems ready for anything.

*sigh*
What's going to happen...?
Woof! Woof!
You're probably saying, "Don't worry," right Koromaru? You're such a brave dog.

Dammit! How long is this gonna continue!?

I'unno, probably not very long anymore given that she's already opted to rejoin the main team as of yesterday. I think this was meant to be accessed before then but, well, sometimes these things just kinda happen.

Anyway, we've got one day left to go before we leave Tatsumi Port Island for a bit, again.

Listening: Of course! Yukata, bathing suit, flashlight, snacks a-and my checkerboard.
Gossiping: ...You don't travel light, do you?

Some teachers believe you should visit foreign countries... But, I steadfastly oppose them each year!
It's shameful, the way we've lost our passion for our homeland...

I'm sure your teachers haven't covered that subject...
You all know that our national flower is the cherry blossom, right?
However, in the days of the Man-yoshu, if you were to ask someone, they would tell you it was the plum.

She fed me gruel... I'll never forget the taste!
I tried to give her something in return, but she never accepted my gratitude...

I think Ekoda remembers when MTV was about the music. I could be wrong here, but I don't think Japan's "natural beauty" is old man rants.

Fortunately, Ekoda promptly returns back to being off-screen so we can go talk to Aigis about nerves.

Not really.
You seem calm. Perhaps you should be a little more nervous...
How 'bout you?
I don't know. Do I seem like I am?

Ryoji's also over here. This seems like a completely reasonably for him to be excited for, but... it's Ryoji. He's not been around long, but I'm already getting Aigis' bad feeling about him and this trip.

Anyway, we'll round out today with even more Yukari!

Joy

> Yukari is quiet.

Great talk! Same time next week?

But... There's something I want to ask you...
Um... Makoto-kun...
Why do you spend so much time with me?

So much has happened between us...
Is it because we're both Persona-users? Or are we just good friends?
What do you really think of me?
Lately, when I see you with Fuuka, I wonder what you're talking about...

So, um... I want you to look at me the way I look at you... Makoto-kun...

With... abject jealousy?

> You feel warm affection from Yukari.

> Your relationship is becoming more intimate.

...Wh-What am I saying!?
...I've gotta go!

> Yukari left.

Iwatodai Dorm

I'm so psyched!
...It kinda sucks that we're only going to Kyoto, though.
Hm, Junpei-san seems to have his energy back.
I guess there was no reason to worry about him.
Huh? What're ya talkin' about? I'm always energetic!
By the way, you better behave while we're gone. Don't go throwin' any parties, got it?
I won't.
Oh, and please don't worry about bringing me back a souvenir.
...Hey, are ya tryin' to use reverse psychosis on me or somethin'?
No, of course not.
...It's just that Kyoto has a lot of great tasting snacks.

Right, so, uh... this doesn't really wholly square with what Ken said before but whatever. He did pretty clearly ask us for something after all. I guess he just doesn't want something from Junpei.

I was really worried she wouldn't.

So, it's better to focus on those things you can change.
Got that, bro?
Alright, then! Let's have an awesome time on the school trip!

Man, Junpei's mood right now is up and down like a yo-yo. If that was intentional, and not just the result of FES changing some of his dialogue this month, that'd be an interesting character-beat. Alas, it's pretty much just an accident it seems...

What's never an accident, though, is who's on Who's Who!

Today's subject has blue hair, strange makeup, a guitar case, and an odd way of walking.

...Next is news. Apathy Syndrome, go away!

So, Eikichi Mishina! Michel here is incredibly rad (but he's still no Baofu) and Trish mentioned his guitar case specifically for a reason: in Innocent Sin, where he was playable, he used a guitar case machine gun as a weapon. Yes, really.

Anyway, Michel is one of the first three playable characters in Persona 2 along with Tatsuya and Lisa. He decides to take on Joker-sama out of revenge for his bandmates being left as Shadowmen by Joker because they had no dreams. Eikichi's probably one of the most straight-forward characters in the whole Persona series, really. His primary Arcana is Death (because he's a Scorpio; it's an astrology thing) and his default Persona is Rhadamanthus, a Greek king and judge of the dead.

Odd note is that he's the tallest playable character in the whole Persona series, though, at... 6ft 1in. Yeah.

Anyway, today the girls (minus Mitsuru) have taken up residence on the second floor.

But, that won't make things any easier...
But, a school trip is a rare event.
It would be a shame to miss it.
Yeah, I guess.

The school trip won't be any fun if everyone's sad...
I want to look back on this trip with fond memories...
I understand how you feel...

...but I don't think it will help us decide what to do.
It's just a chance to relax for a while.
That's not necessarily true, Aigis...
*sigh*
I wonder when the answer will become clear...

Well, we're not gonna be getting to The Answer for a bit longer I guess, so...

wait wrong answer right sorry

The Voice Someone Calls

Anyway, hey, Tartarus! Apparently there's something new in here?? But first, here's a thing we can give to Yukari. We've seen that she's oddly tsundere about this outfit specifically, so...

I can't believe you're ordering me to wear this...
You've really let this whole "leader" thing go to your head, you know that?
Fine... I'll wear it. Hope you're happy...

Not really, but it's technically better armor than what you currently have...

......!? A-Are you seriously asking me to wear this!?
A-Are you certain this will help in battle...? I want an explanation for this afterwards...!

Okay no in Mitsuru's case it's a downgrade in every way.

Anyway now that I feel gross, we'll pick up Koromaru to somewhat counterbalance it and go... back to the top, I guess?

........Yep, those sure are maid costumes alright.

HEY LOOK THERE'S STAIRS HEADING UP NOW AND WALLS ARE HERE WHERE DID THEY COME FROM

So, block 5! It fits nicely in this gap that was pretty conspicuous beforehand. Just in case there was really anything else that needed to make it super obvious Hanged Man wasn't the end.

tartarus_0d05

Yeah, it's a sort-of nightclub/rave-esque design. It's probably my second favourite block, aesthetically. Which is like all you can judge 'em on, really, since they're identical otherwise.

Anyway, Harabah is..... hang on Gold Shadow as the very first thing we encounter?!

Just gotta do the needful right quick and murderise the poo poo out of it before he tries to flee.

That's one down, just like that. Shame we need two of these...

Anyway, yeah, Red Shadow next whatever. We'll get to that in a bit.

First, though, Harabah. Like all the rest, it's a Hebrew word that in this case means "lack of water." It's even used in the Bible to specifically refer to the land passage in the Red Sea when it gets parted by Moses.

Tartarus' Block names sure do like referring to desert areas a lot, huh...

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

We'll start with the Red Shadows today, why not. Ruinous Idols have a very clear, very focused MO which I can respect but they're bad at it and have the balls to have an Expel weakness.

...I am pretty dang sure that Samsara with Hama Boost cannot fail to hit a weakness. Oops! :v:

Sure it costs 40SP so its not exactly cost-effective (I could Hama(on) twice for way less and have a very good chance of success still), but it's just so much more fun!

An important note is that the drop Moon Tablets fairly often when doing Elizabeth's request for that. We need 3 of these in total, so it should only take 2 fights to do.

On top of that, a new area of Tartarus means we've got a new rank of cards available. 2.6x EXP boost, outdated weapons, even better healing or a pretty decent chunk of money but still not enough to warrant fighting explicitly for. I would still just run Tartarus actively avoiding fights whenever I want/need money. It's more worth your time.

Skill Change fun happened in the very first battle here! Kikuri-Hime swapped Diarahan out for Mabufudyne. Remember how we normally can't get this until level 64 at the earliest? And Elizabeth wants us to fuse it onto Lilith who's level 61? Guess what just became possible at the right level! Thanks, Kikuri-Hime.

Anyway, uh, Shadows. Imprudent Maya isn't particularly strong and its ST debuffs are inconvenient but not a big deal either. No, these things are a little bit annoying because they seem to be a little bit dodgier than their 34 Agility implies. Great. (Imprudent Maya are SMTIV demons and have 34 in all their stats)

Apostate Towers don't turn up overly often in my experience, but I guess if they did having 2 different Poison skills would suck a bit. Boosted Maziongas is only really a big deal if you bring both Yukari and Aigis... and have Makoto weak to Elec as well... meh. We have (Mar)Agidyne which we can boost and/or amp without even trying so...

See, now this is just sad. Being able to Mind Charge Ziodynes is almost threatening, but uh... Mahama is so weird. It might work on Koromaru, I guess, but that's all.

Excuse me, Crazy Twins, but could you please...

DIE FOR ME?

once again sp cost is fairly high but once again i dont care :v:

Next up we have the Kaiden Musha, which are just like the other samurai dudes we fought. Except they're not weak to Curse, so we just use Samsara instead of Die For Me! just to be extra safe.

Evading AND Resisting all 3 Phys elements is super-redundant and only serves to be as annoying as possible, really.

The last new boy is a Mighty Beast who is not very impressive, honestly. Tarukaja-ing Gigantic Fist is almost threatening, but Hanged Man used God's Hand which is just straight up stronger. Also Expel weakness so if these things ever get turns, I have done something wrong.

I said last "new" because, well, Scarlet Turrets are back. Electrute 'em and they are dead. Sucks to be them!

tartarus_0d05

That's it for new Shadows right now, so we'll just head on up the rainbow spiral staircase and see what else we can find.

Well, really quickly, Fuuka can find the boss fight. It's not that far, so it's not that impressive either. Since we're guaranteed to have Juno at this point, one way or the other, she might decide to be competent now. We'll see!

...hello second gold shadow nice to see you without trying for it

i am sorry it didnt get away i didnt have to try for the 2 gold medals i will undoubtedly get some form of comeuppance later

Like right now, maybe? Because we sure didn't get anything else of note at all until the boss fight. Welp. Casting Samsara and Die For Me! in every fight gets quite SP intensive, even with Cool Breeze and the Wizard's Mark filling in the gaps every now and then. So, we'll just take a quick trip back downstairs...

You will gradually encounter stronger Shadows as you ascend Tartarus.
The floors that you'll be exploring next are populated with very strong monsters.
Please keep this in mind.

...Pretty sure we already got one of these from Liz. It's sorta nice, since it grants Regenerate 3 and I'm so never spending a skill slot on that. Probably not gonna use it much though. Maybe Junpei or Aigis can use it, if I really feel its necessary.

I have a very special reward for you this time...
A rocket-propelled metal fist...
It's not possible for a human to use it, but one of your party members might be able to.

Not possible for a human, eh? Ah! So this is Koromaru's Aigis' joke weapon! Unfortunately like the rest, it's just 100 power/99 accuracy and that's it. So it sucks now. Figures.

Anyway, yes, hello Succubus. Just gonna make a new one of you for Lilith purposes that has Mabufudyne. Since Lilith is a Cross Fusion, we need specific Personae to make her. Succubus is one of 'em, so...

Also, here's Odin. Hi Odin! Odin is unironically one of the best Personae in the game. Sure, a Wind weakness is bad but we can deal with that easily enough when it matters. You see, since Odin ends up at level 62 by fusion he just falls short of level 63. Level 63 matters because that's when he gets Thunder Reign. Thunder Reign is a very powerful, unique Elec Spell. It has a base power of 650 and 99% accuracy, just like Ragnarok. Also like Ragnarok, it is a single-target spell. Unlike Ragnarok, it costs 32SP. Because it inflicts Shock... with a 100% proc rate.

So, uh, it's a cheaper Thunder Call that we don't need specific Personae to use AND it can be passed on in fusion. Thunder Call IS multi-target though, so it DOES have some niche uses still.

...Note that Thunder Reign is not Odin's last skill. And he already has Elec Amp because Odin is baller like that. Odin's last skill is... very, very, very good. It genuinely deserves to come after Thunder Reign.

Oh, and Odin has a Heart item like most special Personae. His sucks though; the Draupnir he gives bestows Divine Grace which doubles the effectiveness of healing spells. Yep. That's it. It's fuckin' bad here especially since you get these after Diarahan which is just a 100% HP restore so its hella pointless. Makoto can get it as a skill from Saki Mitama and Titania but like... that's it. Everyone else needs the Draupnir for it. Don't even bother.

Justice Judgement Sword x3 (Portable)

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Anyway, here's todays boss fight: 3 arms with electric swords.

The Judgement Swords are not really all that impressive or dangerous.

They're mildly annoying with Yukari and/or Aigis around, but like that's it.

There's not really all that much they can even do, and none of it is really all that scary.

Unless they somehow stack Matarukaja and Marakunda and...

Follow up with Tempest Slash. It's a single-target skill that hits 1-2 times with 350 power each, and 95% accuracy. It has a 10% crit rate which matters a bit since that means that without (de)buffing, this thing can easily one-shot Yukari. Or other people with (de)buffing.

But they're not scary, still. You probably noticed in the screenshots a bit, already, but...

This is a fight that makes people who don't know what they're talking about complain about Mitsuru. Because if you set her to Act Freely expecting her to use Mind Charge, she'll cast Tentarafoo. Why?

Because it works. Yep. They have one maybe vaguely threatening thing they can do, and you can just get rid of it entirely.

So, hey, we're level 58. That means we can make Loki now! Loki is a Fool persona, of course, and he's the earliest access to Megidola.

Megidola has a base power of 320, 95% accuracy and costs 65 MP. As you may have guessed from that power compared to other stuff we can fling around...

...It is not worth 65 SP. Not even close. This is with Tarukaja and Mind Charge. Since we can't boost it further, most Almighty skills just fuckin' suck in this game. Megidolaon included. It has a base power of 650, 95% accuracy and costs... 80 SP. gently caress that, I'm never gonna use Megidolaon.

Fortunately there ARE two Almighty skills worth using. You could argue three, but I'm gonna say you're wrong it's just two. We'll get to them... sometime... in the far, far future.

Anyway, uh, Judgement Swords suck. Not to fight, they just suck. They are bad. They have 1300 HP, 1300 SP, 49 Strength, 32 Magic, 28 Endurance, 32 Agility and 34 Luck. They resist Physicals and Fire because aww you thought Junpei and Koromaru would be useful in a boss fight outside of pure support? That's cute. They also drain Elec, but most things around here have anti-Elec stuff so what's one more.

End

To make up for this bad, awful Shadow, here's Koromaru in a tuxedo as promised.

I did genuinely forget that this is Portable only, which is why I sorta........ hadn't mentioned it until now.

Requisite item for the area is "just" a Precious Egg, but that's genuinely getting to the point where we might bother using like one of these. Maybe. Probably.

Okay, probably not but whatever. Anyway, we're pretty much done here for tonight so we'll be off to Kyoto in the morning! I'm sure this'll be completely fine, right?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 29, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Now I miss the Persona tabletop game I was in. It stopped a little more than halfway through, and the GM has no plans to continue it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wait, you actually like the Disco Hell level of Tartarus?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Background texture aside, the music also changes each tier. Each section adds a bit more to the melody.

I've always liked Edogawa's lectures. I hear they're not entirely accurate, but it's a neat glimpse at stuff I generally know nothing about.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Thunder reign is legit one of the best spells in the game, you can cheese the Reaper by setting your team to knock down and just spamming all out attacks. Just before the Reaper goes you hold off and he has to waste his turn standing up again.

This becomes even easier with that last skill, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I couldn't tell you why, but Alice is probably my favourite Persona, aesthetically.