Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Elentor posted:

My biggest jump in K/D was learning how to play people in cities. I went from ~0.75 to ~1.6 K/D by loving around with people in cities. I learned the layouts and tried to trace a route to where the enemy most likely is without letting the enemy hear me. It's not hard to outposition the enemy in a city, it has more to do with knowing the layout and where to expect them than to do with reflexes because I'm slow as hell.

You can usually spot open doors from way beyond footstep range, from there it's easy to pinpoint where the enemy should be. You walk around and position yourself somewhere where they can't hear you. If they see or hear don't let yourself be mind tricked into anything, just don't ever put yourself into a position that will force a stalemate and make impossible for you to leave without being shot or waste time.

Similarly I'm trying to get it to where I'm close enough to kill them quickly and easily but not so close they can hear my footsteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't know about a "drop". Not a very big one anyway.
http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

That's what I'm trying to get at, even the first Drop in avg CCU wasn't that bad, and might have been a result of more mobile users vs less popularity for the game overall. The lack of updates and anti-cheat issues don't seem to have a big impact on the user base numbers.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
If you're inside and someone is stalking you outside, punching out a window seems to trick a lot of people into thinking you jumped out and then they move into an exposed position trying to find you.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Soarer posted:

If you're inside and someone is stalking you outside, punching out a window seems to trick a lot of people into thinking you jumped out and then they move into an exposed position trying to find you.

yeah this is an awesome thing i've been doing, also if i know that there is people in some houses but they haven't spotted me i like to plink out a window with a silenced pistol or some such to see if they move to easier positions to shoot at

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

He does not, unless he changed that very recently. He has said repeatedly on stream that the game does not support surround(?).

Exactly.

I don't know about a "drop". Not a very big one anyway.
http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

I just asked his stream and he uses 7.1 even though it isn't supported in the game. :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Drav posted:

Similarly I'm trying to get it to where I'm close enough to kill them quickly and easily but not so close they can hear my footsteps.

if you crouch walk they pretty much can't hear you.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

willroc7 posted:

I just asked his stream and he uses 7.1 even though it isn't supported in the game. :shrug:

Which means he's using stereo.

Also:

First time Choco teamed up with shroud was today and he does this.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RefinedTangentialSeahorseGingerPower

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 19, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The joke, is that PUBG uses surround because the engine does, but Bluehole don't know their own game outputs in surround if the primary device registers as 5.1 or 7.1
Not even joking. That's what the streamers are referring to and it's been proven a few times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6dMYkc6r8&t=633s

If you use Windows Sonic (with some workarounds) or a virtual surround headset (that properly registers) you get surround sound, and it's lightyears better than the really bad default audio, which does not properly mix sounds (why you get sounds all in one ear, then all in the other).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you crouch walk they pretty much can't hear you.

Also, if you hold right click while crouch walking you'll make even less sound but it'll make you move more slowly.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
On mobile, I've got a Bluetooth mouse and Bluetooth game controller in case PUBG ends up supporting them at some point. If the mouse in particular gets support that'll make all the difference in the world in aiming.

The app's gone global, and says it's compatible with my 2013 Nexus 7. We'll see if it plays in slideshow mode or not, but I'll find it hilarious if my 2013 N7 can play something and my 2017 Fire HD10 can't.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Some guy on Reddit did some data mining. There is a basic matching by MMR.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Khablam posted:

The joke, is that PUBG uses surround because the engine does, but Bluehole don't know their own game outputs in surround if the primary device registers as 5.1 or 7.1
Not even joking. That's what the streamers are referring to and it's been proven a few times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6dMYkc6r8&t=633s

If you use Windows Sonic (with some workarounds) or a virtual surround headset (that properly registers) you get surround sound, and it's lightyears better than the really bad default audio, which does not properly mix sounds (why you get sounds all in one ear, then all in the other).

I got some headphones that have 'DTS Headphone: X 7.1 Surround'. It plugs into a little box that plugs into a USB port, and has software to get the 7.1 running.

I can spot sounds really well, better than my friends with stereo headphones, so I believe that some form of surround is in.

These ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FJQ82Y/
Very nice for $60 when they went on sale.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

daslog posted:

Some guy on Reddit did some data mining. There is a basic matching by MMR.

Yeah it's pretty obvious the difference in skill between your first game in a new season and 3-4 games in.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

开车 is too powerful on the mobile version...i think the aim assist doesn't track vehicles. this was my first game

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

quote:

One major difference from the other versions is the presence of bots, apparently designed to help new players get to grips with the game. As you level up, the ratio of real players to bots increases, and it’s easy to tell the difference — the bots are pretty dumb and don’t put up much of a fight. This might be disappointing to hear for anyone who plays for the first time and is amazed by their own latent skill level, but it’s a clever way to ensure people have a good experience when they first play PUBG.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else have a problem when you're in a firefight and the escape menu pops up? I'm not sure what triggers it but it's like a weird combo of maybe w f r and shift??

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My official Battldgrounes merchandise arrived.

It's way too big for a key ring which is what I expected but the quality is excellent, which is a gamble with anything from china.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jiro posted:

Anyone else have a problem when you're in a firefight and the escape menu pops up? I'm not sure what triggers it but it's like a weird combo of maybe w f r and shift??

If you have a cheap keyboard with an unfortunate matrix design that's entirely possible that pressing specific keys could result in the system thinking some other key is pressed.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Carecat posted:

My official Battldgrounes merchandise arrived.

It's way too big for a key ring which is what I expected but the quality is excellent, which is a gamble with anything from china.

Love the spelling. How big is it?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It would work as a helmet for a golf ball. Not much use as an actual key ring.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Awwww man, this explains my 5.0 k:d ratio and #2 finish on my first game. I just thought mobile players first instinct when I see them was to stare at me like a confused puppy.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's funny how the mobile version looks like a more feature-filled and complete game than the loving PC version :lol:

what the gently caress is Bluehole doing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's awful to play.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
having enough grenades to clear an entire second story of a garage building is great when a squad is hiding up there, man that squad was probably loving pissed off I tossed in like five grenades and killed them all.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's awful to play.

If you just run people over as other posters have noted, it's actually cool and good to play.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Almost got a chicken dinner but I was a fool and didn't come around a corner ADS, played it like a COD game figuring I could 'quick scope' my AKM as I came around and got ownt for it; had 6 or 7 kills so I was fairly active in the match.

An annoying thing is that on erangel I never loving find vehicles but on the other map I have zero issues, there's always one on the side of the road I can grab after initial gear up, wtfmate

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's awful to play.

I just played my first game expecting a janky gimmick thing that I'd delete from my phone straight after, but I'm really surprised how good it is! Obviously touch controls suck no matter what but it looks and runs great, and stuff that I expected to be a pain in the arse like inventory management and the map are legit really good.

Also I wiped the floor with them and got a chicken dinner in my first game, 14 kills all with a mini-14 with red dot. It was a bloodbath:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

does mobile pubg have bots like mobile fortnite does?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Good soup! posted:

It's funny how the mobile version looks like a more feature-filled and complete game than the loving PC version :lol:

uh, what? mobile PUBG looks like flaming poo poo, doesn't have Miramar, has a UI pulled straight from the loving depths of hell, and tricks you into thinking you're good at it by throwing literally braindead bots at you until it decides you need to spend money

for a phone version of a game that barely runs on most gaming PCs, it's pretty goddamn impressive, but... it's less complete than the PC version, flat-out, and from what I gather has pay-to-win bullshit too

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

13 posts up, dude.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah but not so much after a few matches

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

uh, what? mobile PUBG looks like flaming poo poo,

it really doesn't, my dude, not unless you're playing this on a super lovely old smartphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPuLqAGeh0Q

quote:

doesn't have Miramar,

this isn't a bad thing, IMO

quote:

has a UI pulled straight from the loving depths of hell,

I don't know what you're looking at but the interface is fine and the presentation is better than what we have on PC right now, even small things like the screen prompts for stuff like red zones and circles closing look pretty slick, and has some several features that should definitely already be in the PC version

tbh I thought it was just me but even just a cursory glance on reddit, their official forums, steam forums, etc there are a ton of people finding the mobile version to have a bunch of QoL improvements that are laughably absent from PC

quote:

and tricks you into thinking you're good at it by throwing literally braindead bots at you until it decides you need to spend money

spend money on what? I've only done solo, are other features and ranks locked?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It is actually loving ridiculous that they do server maintenance in prime hours. What are they even maintaining anyway that needs 3-6 hours a week of downtime. And still no message ingame that the game is down, it just makes you think you can't connect.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Good soup! posted:

what the gently caress is Bluehole doing

Raking in ridiculous stacks of cash :homebrew:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

drunken officeparty posted:

It is actually loving ridiculous that they do server maintenance in prime hours.

NA isn't the biggest chunk of players. China is, and maintenance is done around noon Shanghai time.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Xenaero posted:

NA isn't the biggest chunk of players. China is, and maintenance is done around noon Shanghai time.

There are different servers for different regions for a reason. Stagger the maintenance on your massively successful game that's making boatloads of money.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bluehole is a Korean company, they do Korean maintenance during the Korean work day. Korea. (Korea)

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Tweak posted:

One major difference from the other versions is the presence of bots, apparently designed to help new players get to grips with the game. As you level up, the ratio of real players to bots increases, and it’s easy to tell the difference — the bots are pretty dumb and don’t put up much of a fight. This might be disappointing to hear for anyone who plays for the first time and is amazed by their own latent skill level, but it’s a clever way to ensure people have a good experience when they first play PUBG.

:negative:
I was just about to come in and brag about my first game
:negative:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

drunken officeparty posted:

There are different servers for different regions for a reason. Stagger the maintenance on your massively successful game that's making boatloads of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

america first (plus we aren't the hackers).