Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Nevvy Z posted:

Hey guys this humble bundle is full of amazing books you should probably be reading. Only a day left:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_4

I'm sure some are stinkers, but I really enjoyed Chew, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Southern Bastards, Saga, the Wicked and the Divine, and Sex Criminals.

Bunch of things there that I've wanted to read for a while. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Out of curiosity, what comics would you recommend to a dog?

Cactus, my dad's bulldog, really enjoyed my Nintendo Power comics.

Jedi posted:

It's been a few years since I read it, but I don't recall it being egregiously offensive. Then again, I only recall the first arc where they showed that Wolverine was the one that tortured Nuke.

It's not offensive or anything, it's just really stupid, self-important, ugly and boring. I'm mostly mad at myself for buying so many issues because I really wanted to learn more about Wolverine's past.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Beasts of burden

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Guardians of the Galaxy has had positive portrayals of dogs.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Blacksad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NOT We3

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

NOT We3

Beast of burden is worse

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Beast of burden is worse

That comic should count as emotional abuse.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of, Dorkin said there's more coming out!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Clearly the correct answer is Pet Avengers

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of, Dorkin said there's more coming out!

But no World's Funnest 2. Figures.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Skwirl posted:

Legendary!

It's like Homeward Bound meets HP Lovecraft in a post-human dystopian apocalyptic future.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lockjaw is coming out soon maybe good doggo will like that

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I want to ask about the Moon Knight: Some time ago I saw a pretty interesting post in the Touching and Inspiring Panels Thread about him confronting his multiple personalities. I'd like to read that run in the future but there's a couple of things: First, I've never read any MK. Second, the only easily available run for me to acquire is the one that begins with Warren Ellis followed by Jeff Lemire, which I assume is the one that was posted in that thread, except, so far, they've only published it here until Moon Knight(2016) #9, which I'm assuming that does not contain the climax that I saw on the other thread. There's only one tpb left for them to finish the run, and it would be a huge dick move to not publish it, so I'm going to hope it'll be done soon. I'm still considering taking the plunge on the first 5 volumes but I'm wondering how confusing it'll be for a first-time reader.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

10-14 is collected. https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Knight-Vol-Birth-Death/dp/1302902881

You don't need to read anything before Lemire's run. There's a stretch of Brian Wood and Cullen Bunn between Ellis and Lemire that I doubt many people bothered to read. I sure didn't.
Get Ellis' trade anyway, since it's good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 10, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I meant it here, of course it's collected in the US :v:

But thanks, I'll put it on my wishlist.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can you get Marvel Unlimited where you are? A lot of it is on there

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Yes, I've given MU a ride but it's kinda shoddy for an app made by a multimillionaire company and also I'd like to have them both in physical volumes and in my own language.

Also, worst comes to worst, I can buy it on Comixology, which I thought was much better for digital issues.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Samuringa posted:

I meant it here, of course it's collected in the US :v:

But thanks, I'll put it on my wishlist.
Where is "here"? Anything Big Two published in the US is published (in English) everywhere else the same week.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Brazil, not in english and very, very inconsistent.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

xpost

hup posted:

I know people ask about age-appropriate comics a lot, but I tutor a lot of ESL kids and want to recommend some kid-friendly reading for some (think around 10–13). Vocabulary is the biggest hurdle for them; I think visual context will really help. I credit comics for building mine up when I was young, but I've got no idea what's safe for kids anymore. I see Jeff Smith's Shazam books and Supergirl in the seventh grade tossed around a lot; is Spider-Man Adventures still in print? Is American Born Chinese okay for that age range?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've been eyeing Moon Knight By Brian Michael Bendis, any good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

obi_ant posted:

I don't hate it but a lot of people do. I'd say it does feel like one of those runs where they wanted to write a particular character, but got assigned a different book so they just make a bunch of unnecessary changes

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

obi_ant posted:

Other people hate it. I liked it, but will admit it's really anticlimactic, cuts off early, and leads into an event that didn't actually happen for another 2 years (which didn't even feature Moon Knight). I dug the concept, but I'd really only recommend it if you are a Bendis/Maleev or Moon Knight completist.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

obi_ant posted:

Bendis shits on established continuity and inserts his own take. That's it.

I'm meeting my friend in a week and I've been thinking of gifting her a graphic novel. She's just read Lemire's Essex Country and loved it. Daytripper is also one of her favorites. She's a high school teacher and reads a lot of literature. What would be some good books for her?

Hard mode: no Sandman (she already has it I think)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Love & Rockets? If you can find a good collection, that is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schneider Heim posted:

Bendis shits on established continuity and inserts his own take. That's it.

I'm meeting my friend in a week and I've been thinking of gifting her a graphic novel. She's just read Lemire's Essex Country and loved it. Daytripper is also one of her favorites. She's a high school teacher and reads a lot of literature. What would be some good books for her?

Hard mode: no Sandman (she already has it I think)

Either Mike Carey's Lucifer or Mike Carey's The Unwritten. Or Mike Carey's Hellblazer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Da Vision!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Locke & Key

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Bacchus

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sweet Tooth

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seconding this

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think a shorter graphic novel would do better than a long or ongoing series, but The Unwritten does sound like something my friend would enjoy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Underwater welder or secret path

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lemire's other creator owned works are much shorter than Essex County and Sweet Tooth. Royal City's currently ongoing, so who knows, but that has a slice of life feel probably closest to Essex.
After Death (written by Scott Snyder, drawn by Lemire) is interesting, being half prose.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Love & Rockets? If you can find a good collection, that is.

The tpbs by Fantagraphics are good, they collect the entire series. Also, as a fellow south American, I’m gonna recommend you Bookdepository.com
It doesn’t charge shipping and in most cases it’s cheaper than amazon once you convert to your local money.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Vincent posted:

The tpbs by Fantagraphics are good, they collect the entire series. Also, as a fellow south American, I’m gonna recommend you Bookdepository.com
It doesn’t charge shipping and in most cases it’s cheaper than amazon once you convert to your local money.

I'm really grateful, but our current post office situation is incredibly hosed up to that point that most websites, well...

But I'll keep that on my favorites.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't bookdepository owned by Amazon anyway?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How's the Invader Zim comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

How's the Invader Zim comic?

Pretty good.